Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes a claim is not testable. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily wrong, but that there’s no way to investigate whether it’s wrong or right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ashpanash posted:

No one wants to be shown how wrong they are more than scientists.

Whoa, I'm absolutely not interested in being proven wrong when it:s clearly Professor Wernstrom who's out to lunch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Whoa, I'm absolutely not interested in being proven wrong when it:s clearly Professor Wernstrom who's out to lunch.

Wernstrom posted:

Who cares? I have tenure.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The conspiracy theory in question is coming from senior intelligence agents within the US government.

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Got a link the the relevant bits of the thread or whatever article got posted in it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.

This reminds me of the Missing 411 guy, who will go to any bigfoot, ufo, or forteana conference that pays but will never say outright that he thinks it is or isn’t bigfoot, the grays, the smiley face killers, or hollow Earth kidnapping people out in the woods and then later returning their bodies staged to look like they died of exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The conspiracy theory in question is coming from senior intelligence agents within the US government.

Climate change conspiracies is alleged by senior members of the scientific community too. The strong consensus on man made climate change could blind scientists to alternative explanations and scientists that have built careers on certain theories might be embarrassed if proven wrong. It’s the same argument, right?

Except they do spend time debunking alternative theories - you’ll find no shortage of publications dealing with Richard Lindzen or Roy Spencer. White individual scientists might be too arrogant to investigate an unlikely claim there’s thousands of others who will if there’s the possibility they could make their names by overturning an established theory.

It hinges on there actually being a testable claim and data though. If a scientist claims to have travelled to the bottom of the ocean and have communicated with an intelligent octopi civilization living in an amazing technological city but also there’s no recordings or data of any kind and no I can’t show you where it is then what are we supposed to do?

It COULD be true! It’s POSSIBLE! The fact that you haven’t found the octopi city proves that you are not looking for it! Why won’t you investigate it?? What are the octopi paying you?