Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes a claim is not testable. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily wrong, but that there’s no way to investigate whether it’s wrong or right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ashpanash posted:

No one wants to be shown how wrong they are more than scientists.

Whoa, I'm absolutely not interested in being proven wrong when it:s clearly Professor Wernstrom who's out to lunch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Whoa, I'm absolutely not interested in being proven wrong when it:s clearly Professor Wernstrom who's out to lunch.

Wernstrom posted:

Who cares? I have tenure.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The conspiracy theory in question is coming from senior intelligence agents within the US government.

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Got a link the the relevant bits of the thread or whatever article got posted in it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.

This reminds me of the Missing 411 guy, who will go to any bigfoot, ufo, or forteana conference that pays but will never say outright that he thinks it is or isn’t bigfoot, the grays, the smiley face killers, or hollow Earth kidnapping people out in the woods and then later returning their bodies staged to look like they died of exposure.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The conspiracy theory in question is coming from senior intelligence agents within the US government.

Climate change conspiracies is alleged by senior members of the scientific community too. The strong consensus on man made climate change could blind scientists to alternative explanations and scientists that have built careers on certain theories might be embarrassed if proven wrong. It’s the same argument, right?

Except they do spend time debunking alternative theories - you’ll find no shortage of publications dealing with Richard Lindzen or Roy Spencer. White individual scientists might be too arrogant to investigate an unlikely claim there’s thousands of others who will if there’s the possibility they could make their names by overturning an established theory.

It hinges on there actually being a testable claim and data though. If a scientist claims to have travelled to the bottom of the ocean and have communicated with an intelligent octopi civilization living in an amazing technological city but also there’s no recordings or data of any kind and no I can’t show you where it is then what are we supposed to do?

It COULD be true! It’s POSSIBLE! The fact that you haven’t found the octopi city proves that you are not looking for it! Why won’t you investigate it?? What are the octopi paying you?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2430601-dozens-of-stars-show-signs-of-hosting-advanced-alien-civilisations/

quote:

Dozens of stars show signs of hosting advanced alien civilisations

Sufficiently advanced aliens would be able to capture vast quantities of energy from their star using a massive structure called a Dyson sphere. Such a device would give off an infrared heat signature - and astronomers have just spotted 60 stars that seem to match

Two surveys of millions of stars in our galaxy have revealed mysterious spikes in infrared heat coming from dozens of them. Astronomers say this could be evidence for alien civilisations harnessing energy from their stars by using a vast construction known as a Dyson sphere – although they can’t fully rule out more mundane explanations.

His team spotted strange signals at seven red dwarfs within 900 light-years of Earth. These stars are smaller and dimmer than our sun, but appeared up to 60 times brighter in infrared than expected.

This excess would have been caused by something with a temperature of up to around 25°C, consistent with what we might expect for a Dyson sphere. Up to 16 per cent of each star would have to be obscured to account for the signal, meaning it would more likely be a variant of the idea called a Dyson swarm – a collection of large satellites orbiting a star to collect energy – if the cause is truly of artificial origin. “This isn’t like a single solid shell around the star,” says team member Jason Wright at Pennsylvania State University.

Contardo’s results are broader, with 53 candidates found among larger stars, including some sun-like stars, at distances of up to 6500 light years from Earth. “Both sets of candidates are interesting,” she says, though inconclusive. “You need follow-up observations to confirm anything.”

Huge, if true.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Going to need more proof than that I think, all that study has shown is that there's ~60 stars that appear to be obscured by something(s) that are radiating in the infra-red

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also I think it would be more likely to be ALIENS!!! if it's just one or two stars showing something weird happening. When you have 60, I assume nowhere near each other, showing the same odd behaviour seems far more likely to just be some new weird astrophysics quirk that occasionally happens, we haven't quite figured out yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dr_rat posted:

Also I think it would be more likely to be ALIENS!!! if it's just one or two stars showing something weird happening. When you have 60, I assume nowhere near each other, showing the same odd behaviour seems far more likely to just be some new weird astrophysics quirk that occasionally happens, we haven't quite figured out yet.
Another explanation would be that FTL isn’t possible and the best you can do is maybe milking nearby red dwarfs

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

dr_rat posted:

I know, I know, it's probably some dust or something mundane like that, but it's fun to imagine. :shobon:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DrSunshine posted:

I know, I know, it's probably some dust or something mundane like that, but it's fun to imagine. :shobon:

Hey, there's always a chance it turns out to be an empire of space dust aliens! No one can prove that's not a thing!!!

Would totally annoy SETI. We're trying to find aliens here, why the gently caress does all this drat space dust always keep getting in the way???

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

New and interesting stuff is always cool, even if the press immediately jumps to "ALIENS!!"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just don't pick up the phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hating the headlines on these stories but it’s all cool science regardless. it’ll be interesting to see how clustered any of these detections are

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I allow some fanciful theorizing channels on my YouTube, and one of them had a decent summary of the survey of infrared inconsistencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEGvmfd8dI

So not exactly a groundbreaking finding, but absolutely worth further follow up with additional observations.

Finding a Dyson swarm within a few hundred light years is probably a bad thing overall though lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I allow some fanciful theorizing channels on my YouTube, and one of them had a decent summary of the survey of infrared inconsistencies.

So not exactly a groundbreaking finding, but absolutely worth further follow up with additional observations.

Finding a Dyson swarm within a few hundred light years is probably a bad thing overall though lol.

eh if such a thing actually existed, any civilization would already be aware of at least some degree of life on this planet and likely check it out

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mediaphage posted:

eh if such a thing actually existed, any civilization would already be aware of at least some degree of life on this planet and likely check it out

That's what the other thread has been saying this whole time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be pretty wild if every civilization inevitably develops this one specific Dyson swarm thing in a way such that it’s a permanent feature of their system. Or if every civilization just happens to synch up developmentally for some reason we’ll never be able to figure out through observation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well we tend to assume that the progression of technology continues without end as long as civilization does but maybe you hit real points of diminishing returns at some level so if you survive you inevitably end up looking superficially similar

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I like that channel because of his voice and I like sci-fi concepts and all that, but bear in mind that this is the same channel that had a sincere interview with someone about Skinwalker Ranch a little while ago, when deciding how much salt you're gonna need to take it with.

Edit: Event Horizon is the channel I'm on about but it's the same dude talking about the same stuff.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 17, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cactus posted:

I like that channel because of his voice and I like sci-fi concepts and all that, but bear in mind that this is the same channel that had a sincere interview with someone about Skinwalker Ranch a little while ago, when deciding how much salt you're gonna need to take it with.

Edit: Event Horizon is the channel I'm on about but it's the same dude talking about the same stuff.

Yeah he's a science fiction author and self admitted futurist, so a heavy grain of salt should be applied to everything. As far as science communicators go he's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Neat little video about the proposed Habitable Worlds Observatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JIkAPcdnU

I guess I'd better stay alive for another 20 years or so