Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Good OP. To bypass the Isaac is/is not, I'd redescribe it as speculative science science-fiction or harder on the soft/hard sci-fi scale level would work.

Also just because it'd be a shame to get lost to the last thread, early in the last thread we had a discussion on what silicon based life could maybe look like based on known chemistry that was super cool and fits perfect with the speculative science idea. It can be found starting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The source will be Naomi Wolf who overheard people in a mall food court talking about their games of No Man's Sky and mistook it for aliens.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Spacethread Episode 2: Attack of the straw impacts

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah I don’t know, it kind of seems like a sloppy troll, turning criticism of ufo beliefs back on an empirical endeavor deemed reasonable by people who dismiss ufo beliefs as lacking in evidence. Who knows for sure?

If only we had intelligent life to communicate with.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

If only we could make an image the thread title.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
NASA hears 'heartbeat' signal from Voyager 2 probe a week after losing contact

The Article posted:

More than a week after accidentally cutting off communications with the Voyager 2 probe, NASA officials heard a hopeful signal that may allow them to reestablish contact with the interstellar traveler months ahead of schedule.

With the "heartbeat" confirmed, NASA will next try and send a command back to Voyager 2 to coax the probe into angling its antenna back toward Earth. Typically, it takes about 18.5 hours for a command to reach Voyager 2, and another 18.5 hours for Earth to receive a transmission back from the probe, according to Scientific American, so we may know its fate in the next two days.

If the forced realignment fails, Voyager 2 is expected to reset its antenna to the Earth-facing position on Oct. 15, in one of a planned series of auto-resets that occur throughout the year.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

That's too bad. :( I feel like I'm a little sad whenever any country loses a probe. On the small silver lining, we do tend to lose them more often than not. I think I recall a statistic somewhere that lander missions have the lowest success rates?

Out of 111 attempts up to Chang'e 5 in late 2020 of any kind to the moon, 41 failed outright and 8 had partial success. So 44%.

Of missions classified as "Lander", "Lander, Rover", "Rover", or, "Sample Return" there were 38 attempts with 21 outright failures and 1 partial success. 57%.

ref: NASA mission database

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If they ever popped a nuke in the atmosphere we'd know it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Apparently I just can't deal with Google anymore :smith:, so I pose my question to the thread: What is the projected life-time of Nixon's signature on the Moon? Presumably the solar wind will erode it at some time-scale, but how long is that?

space.com posted:

From past studies of moon rocks collected by astronauts during the Apollo missions, researchers have learned that the rocks erode at a rate of about 0.04 inches every 1 million years.

Depending on how much trust you want to put into the source, you're just some napkin algebra away on guestimating it. Though that's just for the raw material. You're probably looking at the tens of thousands of years for the surface of the plaques to be rendered blank short of a significant event acting upon it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah it really is determined as what you mean by remain. Do you mean if something were to look at it with our approximate vision seeing what we would identify as Nixon's signature vs same thing but obvious artificial origins vs detectable at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A rogue planet passes through the oort cloud right on the divider line between Sol and AC. The ensuing property claims dispute kicks off a 20 millennia long total war blood feud, laying waste to both systems. All orbital bodies have been reduced to a size no larger than an asteroid.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I like when space test don't kill adorable pets!

Also that sounds like it could be really useful. I remember looking up the bandwidth we have available communicating with Mars and telescopes space ways and stuff, and yeah it's really not all that much, which for some stuff can be really limiting. Like for the James Webb Telescope, it seems like the speed it can send information is actually a bit of a limiting factor in how much it can be utilized.

As I'm making this post, JWST is communicating with DSS 56 in Madrid at a rate of 28.00Mb/s 11.271 second per packet latency though :v:.

When I first found out about that site I remember I was keeping it open to the side all day and caught one of the dishes talking to something orbiting or passing Phobos at 2Mb/s which I thought was pretty impressive.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 20, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Another Moon mission launched today:

The tiny rovers sound adorable, but do we really need bitcoin in space? :hmmno:

Using the blockchain to tether the moon so they can use their diamond hands to reach it easier.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I understand that we live in the Bad Timeline since Marty and Doc didn't assassinate Ronald when he was a GE propaganda man, but it's the principle of the thing. As much as I'd rather sub-Lunar space not be turned into an eternal robotic battle-ground à la Lem's dystopias, I'd also prefer some random billionaire doesn't fund a space program with the caveat they carve Hitler's face on the Moon as a sideproject or what have you.

Of course the cynical response to the realist view is to say you shipped the buttcoin coin up there, but really didn't. What are the coiners going to do, go up there to check? :pseudo:

Being the next in line to scam cryptobros just makes you part of a trend, really.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have an absolute surefire bullet proof way of confirming if the governments of the world are hiding secret alien crafts/technology.

Make a video game about alien craft combat focused on realistically modeling all the craft. In absolutely no time we'll have all of the classified manuals and armament specs leaked to the game's web forum.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I think one of the benefits of human space exploration comes from subjective information, actually. A robot can send back telemetry, data, samples, and so on, but what does it feel like to stand on the surface of Mars? To watch the sun rise from 180 million kilometers? To see the sunlight reflect off the wispy dry ice clouds? A future Mars mission should have an artist, writer, or poet onboard, honestly.

That said, what I meant was the Alpha Centauri probe shouldn't be expected to be a one human lifespan kind of deal. I didn't mean "Generation Ship", hah.

In this context, we also have to remember that we've never done anything in space with the intent of (relatively) faster inter system travel. If we actually cared to send a probe to Alpha Centauri, we could get one there in 50 years at .086c plus breaking time which is still in the range of a full single lifetime, especially professionally but still single.

For all the things we have done, we've basically done next to nothing out of the full scope of things we have the technical capabilities to do because we've had other priorities.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Alright folks, new goon project: let's build an Alpha Centauri rocket with a stack of used HDDs.

Enough of us either work in or have professional access to data centers, we could build quite the stockpile.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ashpanash posted:

It's hard to express how wrong the conspiracy-filled are about scientists. The assumption that we ignore things because of dogma couldn't be further from the truth. There's little that would excite a scientist more than evidence of contact with aliens.

I grant that we are a fickle bunch. Our requirements for what qualifies as "good evidence" have high standards. But give us that evidence? Far from being embarrassed at being wrong, we'd be celebrating how right you are. We know we're wrong to some extent, that's literally the point of science, correcting what's wrong about our knowledge. Give us some new insight and we'll give you a prize. Overthrow our best theory with one with better evidence and we'll celebrate you for as long as we exist. We'll name elements and units of measurement after you. People will debate which ideas of yours were correct and which were wrong for ages. Scientists aren't your enemies; prove your claim and scientists will be your bitches.

No one wants to be shown how wrong they are more than scientists. But on the other hand, no one is dicked around with about these ideas more than scientists. It gets pretty tiresome when a community keeps announcing that they have evidence, convincing evidence, and it'll blow your mind, just wait until you see it...and then never delivers. This dance isn't new. Thinking you've got the truth and believing you've got the truth isn't the same thing as demonstrating that you've got the truth. But once again, I can't stress this enough: there's nothing we'd like more then for you to be right and for egg to be on our faces.

As an example, I don't think there is a single physicist alive today that hasn't day dreamed at least once about being the person who proved Einstein wrong.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Whoa, I'm absolutely not interested in being proven wrong when it:s clearly Professor Wernstrom who's out to lunch.

Wernstrom posted:

Who cares? I have tenure.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Got a link the the relevant bits of the thread or whatever article got posted in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mediaphage posted:

eh if such a thing actually existed, any civilization would already be aware of at least some degree of life on this planet and likely check it out

That's what the other thread has been saying this whole time.