Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
only purestrain gold is worthy of being called gold

and say what you will about iron, it'll have the last laugh in the very end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

an entire page and nobody badmouthed radium yet!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

only purestrain gold is worthy of being called gold

and say what you will about iron, it'll have the last laugh in the very end

my nugget is 24 karat. i assum e that's purestrain

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
only if it's been pure solid gold since the very beginning of the universe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
didn’t gargamel try to make gold from lead

tbh dense metals are the mf poo poo. they are metals worthy of a derision exemption

if I was many millionaire i’d commission a set of weights for strength training out of osmium or osmium alloy or whatever was needed for stability

it would be loving dope to have just a lil bar and rjay was like 20kg

osmium density 22.5g/cc and gold is 19.3 so pure gold weights would also be bad asss

lead is only 11 which is cool because lead and gold are best friends and iron is 7.9 or so so gold is 2.4x as dense as boring iron and this makes me lose respect for iron

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sagey you prolly know this but what’s the general idea behind the bronze age coming before the iron age and also aluminium is mega common in the crusty part of the earth but it took a lifetime to work out how to get it

is it all a thing like , maybe copper and zinc were found as lil chunks but iron and alumininium are often maybe always in ore and they have to use magical processes to release them

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
aluminum is a bitch rear end metal that can only be talked out of its rocks by the application of high heat

common enough to be the girl next door but thinks too highly of itself to let itself get worked

also doesnt handle stress very well

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
aluminum's a dick that reacts with anything so even if there's a shitload on earth it's all aluminum oxide which is basically trash rock

only way to get it back into metal efficiently is to run some electricity through molten stuff so the aluminum separates from the rest of the garbage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

didn’t gargamel try to make gold from lead

pretty sure he also tried to make gold out of powdered smurfs

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the smurfs were a catalyst for the lead -> gold transmutation i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at least he had his priorities right

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gargamel had a cat which i'm pretty sure means he couldn't have been that bad of a guy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

sagey you prolly know this but what’s the general idea behind the bronze age coming before the iron age and also aluminium is mega common in the crusty part of the earth but it took a lifetime to work out how to get it

is it all a thing like , maybe copper and zinc were found as lil chunks but iron and alumininium are often maybe always in ore and they have to use magical processes to release them

yeah pretty much

copper is (or was) easy to find at the earth's surface in elemental form, in nuggets and nodules. it was the first metal that people discovered and it can be smelted at low temperatures in a wood fire. the elements that improve its properties (arsenic or tin to make bronze; zinc to make brass) are also relatively easy to extract and are usually found in nearby deposits.

gold and silver were also known to the ancients because they also can be found at the surface and melt at low temperatures. but obviously they are too soft and rare for tools, so we call it the chalcolithic age instead of the aurolithic or whatever.

iron is almost never found in elemental form -- the only ancient source of elemental iron was meteorites. this prevented people from discovering its abundance for thousands of years. iron ore, while common, needs higher temperatures to be smelted, and you have to do special things to purify it and keep it from oxidizing when it's liquid. so the technology just had to catch up. nobody knows exactly who discovered iron smelting first, but it was probably a result of someone experimenting with the known technique of "put different weird rocks in a very hot fire and sometimes neat new stuff comes out."

aluminum is the same idea but moreso. pure aluminum is highly reactive with oxygen, and aluminum oxide has an extremely high melting point. it's not possible, to my knowledge, to extract the metal from the ore purely with heat in an oxygen containing atmosphere; you need chemical processes as well. so the metal wasn't isolated until the 1850s, when electrochemistry had advanced enough to do so.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
isn't iron actually inferior to bronze in a lot of tool applications? with the dominance of bronze smelting coming to an end because trade routes and the supply tin collapsed, and iron only replaced it out of necessity?

for aluminum i don't think you strictly need electrochemistry to extract it, but the process is hilariously difficult, still requires good knowledge of chemistry, and produces only small quantities. which is why in the period between when it was isolated and when it was produced industrially it was a fairly expensive metal iirc, and something of a status symbol. so you had stuff like napoleon III having gold cutlery for most guests and reserving the aluminum stuff for special ones. or the washington monument being capped with an aluminum pyramid instead of gold or platinum or something like that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeah pretty much

copper is (or was) easy to find at the earth's surface in elemental form, in nuggets and nodules. it was the first metal that people discovered and it can be smelted at low temperatures in a wood fire. the elements that improve its properties (arsenic or tin to make bronze; zinc to make brass) are also relatively easy to extract and are usually found in nearby deposits.

gold and silver were also known to the ancients because they also can be found at the surface and melt at low temperatures. but obviously they are too soft and rare for tools, so we call it the chalcolithic age instead of the aurolithic or whatever.

iron is almost never found in elemental form -- the only ancient source of elemental iron was meteorites. this prevented people from discovering its abundance for thousands of years. iron ore, while common, needs higher temperatures to be smelted, and you have to do special things to purify it and keep it from oxidizing when it's liquid. so the technology just had to catch up. nobody knows exactly who discovered iron smelting first, but it was probably a result of someone experimenting with the known technique of "put different weird rocks in a very hot fire and sometimes neat new stuff comes out."

aluminum is the same idea but moreso. pure aluminum is highly reactive with oxygen, and aluminum oxide has an extremely high melting point. it's not possible, to my knowledge, to extract the metal from the ore purely with heat in an oxygen containing atmosphere; you need chemical processes as well. so the metal wasn't isolated until the 1850s, when electrochemistry had advanced enough to do so.

thankyou master for giving me the chance to learn

you should be a youtube channel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

metallic hydrogen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ruining glass with metal :

pyrex? more like poorex

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but I jest

interfering with glass by adding metal is actually capital B Badass

add lead into glass and give it a dozen indexes of refraction

add some uranium and it goes green and fluoresces under a black light. I have some and it owns

add some gold and the glass goes a rose tint

what other amazing glass antics do you know of

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

but I jest

add some uranium and it goes green and fluoresces under a black light. I have some and it owns

there's the whole thing with fiber-optic cable powering the entire modern communications backbone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had me at bone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

but I jest

guess what they add to it

thats right

capital B Boron

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

aluminum sucks because all you gotta do is put a drop of gallium on it and it does this

weak rear end garbage metal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

isn't iron actually inferior to bronze in a lot of tool applications? with the dominance of bronze smelting coming to an end because trade routes and the supply tin collapsed, and iron only replaced it out of necessity?

much bigger question than simply yes/no.

what do you want out of the metal? hardness, toughness, springiness, weight, resonance? corrosion resistance? to what chemicals?

what kind of iron? elemental iron, pig iron, cast iron, wrought iron, white iron, steel? low-carbon steel, high-carbon steel, tool steel?

what kind of bronze? tin bronze, arsenic bronze, phosphor bronze, silicon bronze, aluminum bronze?

what kind of post-processing treatments are being applied? hardening, annealing, tempering, case-hardening, work-hardening?

what manufacturing method do you want to use? casting, forging, welding, machining?

any special requirements? cleaning, polishing, electrical or magnetic properties, sparking, toxicity?

how much money do you have to spend?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the properties and types that were important to people making the transition from bronze to iron due to the collapse of trade routes of course. they probably didn't care much about electrical properties, but i wouldn't bet my life on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

each one of those points is its own separate post. so i will summarize by saying yes, around the transitional period between the bronze and iron ages, the relatively well developed copper alloys would have been generally better than the brand new and not well understood iron-carbon system. mostly in terms of ease of working and the ability to get reliable and predictable material properties. iron properties are very sensitive to carbon content -- a few percent making the difference between soft and bend and hard and fragile -- and this carbon content is hard to control since it's in the air and it also comes from the fire you're using to melt the metal.

the main advantage of early wrought and cast iron over bronze is that it was more abundant and (eventually) cheaper. bronze still had great mechanical properties. but once people figured out how to make steel, there was no looking back. there's nothing like tool steel in the copper alloy system.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what about the vibe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bronze has better vibrational qualities, which is why they use it for bells and cymbals.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they should make lead cymbals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you’re a lead cymbal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iron ore more like iron bore

iron boron

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
remember when bruce willis used a metal splinter to pick the lock on a pair of handcuffs?

that metal splinter was a real double edged sword.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bronze is also much easier to cast because it can be done at normal temperatures. cast iron only came about later when people could make much hotter furnaces

and casting is way easier than forging or w/e

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you ever seen old bronze swords in museums? they’re tiny, they look like little baby swords because they aren’t hard enough to survive being long and girthy

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"lead" more like leads you to the grave amirite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cawg:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

echinopsis posted:

post the stupidest metals itt

cerium no doubt. worthless garbage

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

much bigger question than simply yes/no.

what do you want out of the metal? hardness, toughness, springiness, weight, resonance? corrosion resistance? to what chemicals?

what kind of iron? elemental iron, pig iron, cast iron, wrought iron, white iron, steel? low-carbon steel, high-carbon steel, tool steel?

what kind of bronze? tin bronze, arsenic bronze, phosphor bronze, silicon bronze, aluminum bronze?

what kind of post-processing treatments are being applied? hardening, annealing, tempering, case-hardening, work-hardening?

what manufacturing method do you want to use? casting, forging, welding, machining?

any special requirements? cleaning, polishing, electrical or magnetic properties, sparking, toxicity?

how much money do you have to spend?

fuckin smartass egghead. i obviously meant for bronze age tool stuff like implements for stabbing people and knives and poo poo

Sagebrush posted:

each one of those points is its own separate post. so i will summarize by saying yes, around the transitional period between the bronze and iron ages, the relatively well developed copper alloys would have been generally better than the brand new and not well understood iron-carbon system. mostly in terms of ease of working and the ability to get reliable and predictable material properties. iron properties are very sensitive to carbon content -- a few percent making the difference between soft and bend and hard and fragile -- and this carbon content is hard to control since it's in the air and it also comes from the fire you're using to melt the metal.

the main advantage of early wrought and cast iron over bronze is that it was more abundant and (eventually) cheaper. bronze still had great mechanical properties. but once people figured out how to make steel, there was no looking back. there's nothing like tool steel in the copper alloy system.

much better

also the best bronze is beryllium bronze

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

silicon bronze for those antiquity computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis