Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like the stuff that makes threads poo poo to read is drama, hostility, slapfights etc. thats the whole point of giving people a "cool off" probation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like the stuff that makes threads poo poo to read is drama, hostility, slapfights etc. thats the whole point of giving people a "cool off" probation

Especially if they are the kind of person who continues to have that be a problem

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The most productive probation I can remember getting was a sixer from The Saddest Rhino last Christmas. There was a lot of intense frustration with moderation in general at that time because of the QCS closure and Boxing Day Massacre stuff, and I was not posting placidly. The punishment was basically "I know why you're upset, but what you're saying isn't helpful, and I disagree with you."
It encompassed an acknowledgement of my feelings, explained why they could not let what I said pass, and also made clear that they disagreed with me. It was sincere, concise and reasonable. I have a lot of time for both Rhino and that sort of moderation because in two sentences the line was drawn, I was corrected, and I still felt treated like a person Maybe this sounds dumb, but I remember that they treated me that way and respect their authority for it.

To an extent I don't think duration matters anywhere near as much as delivery, sincerity, and accuracy when conveying what you are trying to intervene in. Harshness is generally counter-productive, as is being too laissez-faire. Sincerity, respect, and clarity will always get better results, in my opinion, even if you're just doing a sixer.

I've not moderated a community the size of any on SA though so I could also just be talking out of my arse. People do seem to disproportionately get the arseache over sixers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Saddest Rhino mods the sagas thread among other things and that is more of a job than I'd ever want to take on, he's a role model for the art of operating within the gray area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone please welcome Dwarf74 to full mod-hood! He's been operating as an IK across several threads for a long time now and doing a great job. Having a third mod on hand for TG should help us with coverage, vacations, etc. too.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone please welcome Dwarf74 to full mod-hood! He's been operating as an IK across several threads for a long time now and doing a great job. Having a third mod on hand for TG should help us with coverage, vacations, etc. too.

Congrats, you poor, poor bastard.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

Fwiw this is exactly the opposite message from the recent course of the thread, which has been saying don't de escalate, jump straight to probations lol

I think using sixers as de-escalation is fine, with the understanding that if people frequently get sixers for the same thing, some sort of step up is warranted.

Leperflesh posted:

My condolences. We'll remember you as you were, Dwarf74.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

:getin:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hypnobeard posted:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hypnobeard posted:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Dwarf74 seems to have their head screwed on straight. Glad to see it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

Fwiw this is exactly the opposite message from the recent course of the thread, which has been saying don't de escalate, jump straight to probations lol

Personally my thinking is not to disagree with the idea that there could be more sixers, especially if people are being aggro in a way that requires immediate action, but I think also that in general that this doesn't mean to exclusively shift to sixers vs engaging to de-escalate.

To simplify I guess I'm saying I agree we could use more sixers (not that I've been hanging out in TG long enough to really know this for a fact based off of experience) but also that they shouldn't be the automatic response to an issue. I.e "Use hammers more often but not every problem is a nail."

Leperflesh posted:

I try to be clear with the difference between a "don't post this specific thing" sixer and a "chill with this dumb slapfight" sixer. I am in favor of clear probation reasons.

e. but any sixer reason can and will be challenged. "That wasn't a dumb slap fight I was just explaining very calmly" and also "and you didn't give those other people sixers after they all said I was being a dick" and so on and so on.

Yeah to be clear I'm not saying this is an issue with you as a mod or any other mod or IK in TG, I'm just stating my opinion in general what I think would be a good thing not that it is in response to something specific I've seen in TG. :)

Leperflesh posted:

Pour one out for Dwarves00 to 73 who had to be sacrificed to reach peak Dwarf. :cheerdoge:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Glad to see dwarf74 get some recognition! Congrats (and also, my condolences) :toot:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HKR posted:

your forums dot something awful dot com rap sheet isn't going to be used to deny you housing or job opportunities so I'm not sure why anyone would care that there are sixers on it. Frankly a clean rap sheet is far more suspicious.

The one reason I could see for this is to make it easier for mods to see at a glance which probations are for someone being an rear end in a top hat and which are to be disregarded.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
As someone who was a member of these forums when you could be banned because Lowtax had bad gas that day, a sixer is a gentle breeze. You young posters today grumble grumble.

Also, congratdolences Dwarf. Good luck and Godspeed.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I just wanted to add something to the discussion about moderation philosophy, reporting and the use of sixers: I think a lot of the reluctance to take action against problem posters is a holdover attitude from the pre-Jeffrey of YOSPOS era of the forums, when mods and admins throwing out bans arbitrarily and often was the norm. I think this has not just an effect on how the current mods approach the forums (Most of the active mods on here were active posters back in those days, so I wouldn't be surprised if their approach to moderation is at least subconsciously informed by the days when people could and would be banned at any moment) I think it also affects how some users approach the mods. As a poster who's been on these forums for a while, but doesn't post all that often or broadly across the forums, I find myself often reluctant to actually report problem posts because of my own memories of how moderation used to work back in the day where if you got on a mod's bad side they could just kick you off the site. I think something that some of us need to accept is that those days are over, the atmosphere of the forums is much different now and that action can be taken against problem posters without falling back into the Dirty Harry era of moderation.

At the end of the day, 6ers are not a big deal, and freely throwing them out as a warning to a poster who's getting a bit too heated in a discussion sends a message without being too harsh.

One thing that I will say, at the risk of sounding like a sycophant, is that I have always gotten the impression that the current moderation team approaches their role and the posters on this forum in good faith, which I think is very important.

HKR posted:

your forums dot something awful dot com rap sheet isn't going to be used to deny you housing or job opportunities so I'm not sure why anyone would care that there are sixers on it. Frankly a clean rap sheet is far more suspicious.

Let's also not forget that the code this forum runs on is ancient and held together with duct tape and collective will. Trying to change it to add another class of sixer that doesn't stay on a rap sheet is liable to cause the entire thing to fall apart or turn the population of another sub-forum into chickens during the full moon.

Leperflesh posted:

Congratularations!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

The one reason I could see for this is to make it easier for mods to see at a glance which probations are for someone being an rear end in a top hat and which are to be disregarded.
I just spotted two people rapidly de-escalate a misunderstanding instead of going Full Posting Enemies and it made me semi-seriously wish there was like an un-sixer for being notably un-lovely.

No I don't mean a points system to buy off later probes this of all forums knows how points buy with flaws ends up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think they should be 1d6ers in Trad Games tbqh

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

whydirt posted:

I think they should be 1d6ers in Trad Games tbqh

Yes. Yes. Probation Dice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

4d6, drop lowest. Minimum 3 hours, max 18, average 12.25.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Could we devise some kind of optional point-buy system for probations? For those of us who prefer to already have probation concept in mind beforehand?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I rolled 18 hours at home! P lucky really

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The worst part are the MAD probes where you need to have an 18 hour probe in multiple forums.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

I bet your probe buttons don't even work idiot!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GetDunked posted:

I bet your probe buttons don't even work idiot!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looks like you were the one, who "got dunked"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Goodbye, clean rap sheet! :v:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

When I hit level 8, I'm picking up a class feature that scales according to the number of probes on my rap sheet. It's from a villain NPC class, but I'm taking it because my character concept is dark and tragic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

whydirt posted:

When I hit level 8, I'm picking up a class feature that scales according to the number of probes on my rap sheet. It's from a villain NPC class, but I'm taking it because my character concept is dark and tragic.
If you splash into redditor at 6 you can hit the prereqs a level earlier

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

whydirt posted:

pff you only have four probations, and one of them is 16 years ago, are you really going to get utility out of that class feature anyway? Sure your backstory is all dark and tragic but it looks like you keep making lawful good choices except for when you took one level of rogue in 2020 (and your worst offense was being snarky to a PC who uncloaked and got banished to the nine hells).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

pff you only have four probations, and one of them is 16 years ago, are you really going to get utility out of that class feature anyway? Sure your backstory is all dark and tragic but it looks like you keep making lawful good choices except for when you took one level of rogue in 2020 (and your worst offense was being snarky to a PC who uncloaked and got banished to the nine hells).
Part of the problem is it's one of those mother may I/powered by RP classes. It runs off probes and bans but probes and bans are entirely at DM discretion.

You're the DM btw.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

well I'm definitely not sharing my pizza rolls with you now

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Most of SA seems to be neglecting its October duties, but we here know better. We maintain the Old Ways.

Time to become :spooky: Traditional Graves :spooky:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
TraditiGHOUL GRAVES and put a little vampire there

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Vladitighoul graves.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
You're all making it too complicated.

Vlad Graves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Transylvanian Graves: Rise up

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Terrorditional Games

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Trad Graves, simple concrete headstone, wooden coffin, buried 6 feet deep. Anything else is excess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Trad Graves, simple concrete headstone, wooden coffin, buried 6 feet deep. Anything else is excess.

We liked this one: it is done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I didn't realize you used the subtitle too. :lmao: