Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Framboise posted:

You said I was "sucking his dick" about it when all I did was agree with the notion that people should be paid for the work they do but it wasn't a good time to bring that up, and that the "Good riddance" comment was hosed up and lovely. So yeah, sounds pretty overdramatic to me and you can, in fact, stuff it.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding why it's not clear that Framboise agrees that it's bad to stan for Wizards of the Coast against the desire of workers to get paid? That is what Framboise agrees with, and had that criticism been posted a week ago or about someone who hadn't just died, it would not have drawn any sort of penalty.

if there is a reason it specifically bothers me, it's because it's a big problem when people use the guise of politics in order to post bizarrely misanthropic poo poo, and its not something i want to see moderators on any subforum fall for. it is not necessary to make any kind of public statement on whether or not wage theft is good, or bad, in order to realize that posting "i'm glad that guy died because he was an instrument of Capital" is a thread about playing a trading card game, is a bad post.

we already do this on the forums all the time- mods in other forums don't need to publicly hem and haw and express sympathy if someone posts poo poo like "i'm glad your aunt died of covid because she didn't mask" or something.

i wasnt joking when i said i would have been less bothered if the post had said they were glad he died because they didn't like the last Commander banlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think there is also a major difference between one rando posting "that guy was racist in discord" and multiple people, independently, saying it

in any case like fajita said, that was tangential to the actual issues about that probation/post that were raised

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sheldon Menery was the guy who formalized Elder Dragon Highlander rules for Magic into the Commander fan ruleset. He was previously a Magic judge and cultivated himself into an influencer and oversaw the Commander Rules Committee. Commander's now overtaken every other format for Magic to be the most widely played. He just died after a 7 year battle with cancer. I don't know what the personal beefs are with him in this case? Sounds like it's either related to his affiliation with Magic judging (a usually unpaid bit of corporate labor) or the way the Commander format and ban list was cultivated?

The accusation is that he worked as a volunteer, which means he is a class traitor and guilty of participating in wage suppression. Or something. I do not know. This is definitely an appropriate thing to say, especially in a thread about a trading card game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fajita Queen posted:

The problem I think is that a lot of the hostile posts in TG don't individually rise to the level of even a sixer, they just cumulatively drive so much air out of the room and make discussion suck for people who aren't on the same "side" as the people being hostile. So reporting an individual post gets that post seen and nothing else happens.

honestly i dont really agree with more "ramps" or threadbans or whatever except in really bad cases (which- this one probably was), i think literally just throwing down six-hour probations more often when someone is being aggressive, slapfighting, or making bad posts helps a lot

the best thing about them is they let people cool down. its rare that i see someone in a flamewar, get a sixer, and go right back to flipping out like nothing happened

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heath posted:

I'm telling you, it is an insane thing people do where it's like they have to include this "he's an rear end in a top hat but he's just so drat right" clause. People have done it unironically in this very thread! Multiple times in one post even!

this is not a problem exclusive to TG, or SA, but if there's one thing i really hate, it's when people use the guise of progressive politics to post misanthropic poo poo that would otherwise get slapped. like some people, who will go unnamed were like "wow, looks like that post showed too much class consciousness for the whiners" or some poo poo. no!!!

this problem has started to get clamped down on elsewhere on the forums (see: people getting banned for lolling at rando twitter posters dying at covid, or whatever) but it's something which frequently pops up, especially in forums like TG where the political aspect of a fandom/hobby does get discussed often. it is entirely possible to couch toxic poo poo in progressive language, and slapping posts like that is not a referendum on those politics, and should not be perceived as that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Panzeh posted:

The whole idea of "well, aggroposting should be allowed if you're Correct" is exactly why this poo poo happens in the first place.

some of the most toxic posting is "correct". i think because some of the worst toxic behavior in discussion forums comes when someone's aggression comes from an attitude of moral justification. basically, it's much easier to say incredibly toxic and unacceptable things to someone if you've got the idea that they're a nazi or something, even if their fundamental crime is "roots for the New England Patriots", as an example (this is something I have actually seen, though obviously not in TG)

that, and sometimes i think people are hesitant to hit posts which are "correct", though this seems to have been changing for the better recently.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 12, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it is also low stakes. a 6 hour probation isnt something which needs too much explanation and nobody should think it is a big deal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sebmojo posted:

It is absolutely a fact that the most insane inbox-filling freakouts all come from sixers

this is technically true but i mean more in the sense that like - other people in the thread or whatever shouldn't really be freaking out if someone gets a cool-off timeout for getting too mad at the MTG Modern banlist or whatever, and there's really not much need for an IK to hem and haw over giving someone a time-out.

sebmojo posted:

Ok, so I went about 20 pages back in the mtg thread and I'm really not seeing this unreadable pit of toxicity. It's nerds talking about cards. caring about them a lot; possibly too much? Not for me to judge. Cards are important.

i actually think both the MTG thread and the board game thread have improved significantly over the last few months to the point where i actually post in them sometimes. i have long been considered a bellwether for whether a thread is good or not

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm pretty sure the MTG thread like universally hates finance weirdos lol

e) like i don't mean people asking what their cards or worth, or talking about cracking boosters, i mean the types who obsessively post about #investing and scream at the idea of proxies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mtggoldfish's voice really is incredibly annoying though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it is also low stakes. a 6 hour probation isnt something which needs too much explanation and nobody should think it is a big deal.

lol

like seriously i don't think this is really the venue for two people who apparently hate each other to hash this kind of thing out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's understandable to want to talk things out over hitting buttons but the whole idea over "a sixer shouldn't be a big deal" is like, it should not take some kind of introspection and self reflection to decide that someone needs to take a time out lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pressing a button on someone who is flipping the gently caress out is not a "gently caress you" it is a "sit in the corner and calm down"

and posters who flip out over this are people who tend not to be long for the forums. not naming any names here

like the outcomes of this tend to be good. if two people are going at each other hard, the result of giving both a time-out is, in my experience, usually pretty good. they stop posting, calm down, and everyone gets to talk about card games again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"blatant heterosexual" sorry to laugh but lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive joked before that anyone who gets mad about a sixer, no matter how unjustified, should just be banned and i'm only mostly kidding

but yeah despite me saying and believing that sixers aren't a big deal, one of the consistent things mods say is that people go nuts over six hour probations more than any other punishment

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tarnop posted:

I don't think this is universally true and it's also a spectrum rather than a binary. I think that it's possible to adjust too far and create more distance between yourself and users, which leads to more dissection and then we're in another undesirable feedback loop. Maybe I'm not the right person to comment on this though since I'm generally ok with mods being a bit more formal if that makes them more comfortable, but I definitely get a weird vibe if a post feels like it's trying to pre-emptively shut off every possible counter argument

for me its like - forum mods should be there to make sure we have a good space for discussing things, and things can get weird if they seem like they're trying to act like a guidance counselor or some poo poo. even if that's not the intent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
six hour probations aren't even necessarily "punishments" lol they're frequently just a way to stop threads from going off track when there's a fight.

they aren't some kind of serious tool of accountability, and the worst thing to do is to treat it as some really grave thing, because it makes people less likely to use them. it's a button that says "go outside and cool off".

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 17, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mekchu posted:

this. a sixer isn't a life or death decision that some posters/mods/admins/iks think they are.

my computer is attached to a bomb and if i do not post for 6 hours it explodes

also all of this is still a bit off the worst idea i've read which is that all mods should simply go through background checks which are reported to Jeffrey of YOSPOS, somehow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sebmojo posted:

Fwiw this is exactly the opposite message from the recent course of the thread, which has been saying don't de escalate, jump straight to probations lol

i think the point is that a six hour probation is a form of deescalation op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like the stuff that makes threads poo poo to read is drama, hostility, slapfights etc. thats the whole point of giving people a "cool off" probation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The oldest game is probably the sport of wrestling, so the wrestling forum should be called Games.