Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

gonna just ban everyone soon, just checkin with jeff

Harsh, but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Arivia posted:

Conversely, I've also had problems where the moderation wasn't strict enough about objectively bad opinions that could actually hurt the play experience of others. Rutibex was a really big problem here, I have probes for shouting him down and being "aggro" when the mods weren't doing poo poo to shut him up when he was leading people to waste money/do stuff that was completely wrong in every sense for the games he talked about. Opinions are one thing but I wish the mods were a bit more willing to lay down the law about "hey, this person is genuinely loving stupid and has been banned from many other goon spaces for being stupid and really does need shouting down."

On the other hand, people not agreeing with your forgotten realms takes are not objectively bad, so I'm fine with the mod team telling people to chill out.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Arivia posted:

I don’t disagree but that’s also not what we’re talking about.

Thinking that people deserve probes for making "bad" book recommendations is deranged, and saying "I wouldn't have to aggro post if the mods just enforced having good opinions" is even moreso.

Like, seriously think about it for a moment. You're saying that mods need to:
1. Know enough about forgotten realms to even understand the argument
2. Know enough about both sets of books to understand which argument is "correct"
3. Still make a value judgement about what is "merely controversial" and what is "objectively wrong" and accept the heat from people who disagree.

Surely you realize that is not a remotely reasonable ask of mods or even an IK, right?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Edit: Nevermind. Posting about posting sucks, and I'm dipping out.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 12, 2023

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

Fwiw this is exactly the opposite message from the recent course of the thread, which has been saying don't de escalate, jump straight to probations lol

I think using sixers as de-escalation is fine, with the understanding that if people frequently get sixers for the same thing, some sort of step up is warranted.

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone please welcome Dwarf74 to full mod-hood! He's been operating as an IK across several threads for a long time now and doing a great job. Having a third mod on hand for TG should help us with coverage, vacations, etc. too.

My condolences. We'll remember you as you were, Dwarf74.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

whydirt posted:

Trad Games: You wouldn’t download a game, would you?