Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

I admit I was shooting for the moon on the perma request, but I'm glad the admins saw the same priors that I did, lol

I endorsed for the same when I was talking to Leperflesh. Looks like the dude had a history of posting weird racist poo poo about black people in particular so I didn't see why it should be allowed to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

My feedback and suggestion is that maybe Toshimo didn't need his dick sucked about how good and right he is while giving him a tiny slap on the wrist for dancing on a man's grave

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That post was deeply embarrassing and it says a lot about both the poster and the IK that they think it's a normal thing to say while acting like it's some leftist victory.

Take the boneheaded histrionics and stuff it, please. Both of you are making some pretty heavy faceplants on the balance beam of mental gymnastics here and I'm not going to humor either of you for it.

A good chunk of PMs I get from LP about reports in the MTG thread are about Toshimo and I usually let them slide because it's because someone got their undies in a bunch because he said something in a hostile or harsh way. Thing is, if I acted every single time someone posts in the MTG thread said something in a hostile or harsh way, I'd be probing half the morons in the thread every couple of days because the thread is, by far, the most overdramatic and fussy thread I can tolerate frequenting, populated by people with the social skills of hungry feral cats. Much of the time, Leperflesh and I agree that the thread should generally deal with poo poo on its own and only step in when it crosses the line.

Toshimo's post this time around is much the same-- what could have been a valid point that not many people would disagree with (myself included) took an unnecessary cruel celebratory turn while a bunch of other people were mourning Sheldon's death. My original thought was to give it a sixer like most others, but it had been generating complaints both here and on Discord-- and on top of that, I've already been kicking around the idea of advocating for stronger probes for people in the thread who already have a stack of sixers (in the same thread, no less) they clearly haven't learned from. So 24 it was, and it's really as simple as that. If mods and admins wanted to push for a ban, that's up to them. I've discussed with Leperflesh before that I don't actually understand why people are allowed to amass pages of probes when anywhere else, someone that annoying would be banned on second or third offense. Feels like you pretty much have to commit an actual crime to get banned for real here tbh.

Both of you are reading way too far into this though and I really suggest taking a breather before posting again.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

Actually the response is

So ironically I agree with what you said but not the tone

You said I was "sucking his dick" about it when all I did was agree with the notion that people should be paid for the work they do but it wasn't a good time to bring that up, and that the "Good riddance" comment was hosed up and lovely. So yeah, sounds pretty overdramatic to me and you can, in fact, stuff it.

I'm very clearly seeing that it was not the right way to handle the situation and get that, but it's almost as if you're trying to take what I said and twist it in the most uncharitable way possible and that's honestly pretty unfair.

Kai Tave posted:

What is even the point of this thread? Every time feedback is given on moderation it seems the response is just "sorry we're not going to do anything different because that would involve actual effort."

Perhaps if feedback was more suggestion-oriented rather than unconstructive lashing out there may be more results.

Case and point:

HKR posted:

no you should do this instead:

it really loving sucks to pop into a thread about a game and have it be nothing but aggro posts and occasionally people posting the most unhinged poo poo they can.

Fajita Queen posted:

Good, maybe do this repeatedly until it stops instead of letting the thread be a cesspool of toxic poo poo that loads of people on the forums can't stand to read or post in because of how horrible it's been. Then repeat this for the rest of Tradgames, because this forum is hugely undermoderated and some of the most awful, hostile, lovely people are the loudest.

Nessus posted:

As someone outside of the MTG ecosystem I agree. Escalating probes for the same poo poo is quite reasonable, but this comes off as 'you had your heart in the right place when you condemned the dead community man' and I don't think, generally, we need to encourage that poo poo; there is plenty of it in the world already.

I'll be taking these to heart and will be issuing probes more frequently in the thread for hostile posting. I've been lax about it as I try to be as level-headed as possible when it comes to moderating but it's clearly not what is wanted or needed. And I'll be less cordial about it too.

You're talking to the wrong person when it comes to bans though, because I've never understood why SA even allows people to have a long rap sheet and think that if you haven't learned after the first few, you never will and shouldn't be allowed to stick around, but apparently that's too mean. I don't have much of a say in that anyway.

Kchama posted:

Yeah the fact that they made that post and didn't realize how loving awful it made them look is really amazing.

gently caress, I get it, okay? Kinda feel like that's been driven home well enough by now. I have been sufficiently rebuked for that now, I think. What do you want from me, self-flagellation?

gently caress's sake, I'm sorry.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I get it. I came in hot because I came home to a bunch of posts lashing out at me for trying to do things in a way I felt right and just got more irritable when the lashing out kept piling on.

Genuinely, sorry.

Tarnop posted:

You know what, fair enough. It was an unnecessarily aggro way to raise my complaint with the way the post was handled. I've felt like my feedback in TG has been dismissed or minimised in the past but you weren't involved in that and I shouldn't have brought that energy to this issue. I'm sorry

Apology accepted. Sorry for snapping back.

Please understand that I was asked to IK the thread and I agreed to do so on the condition that I'm not expected to be terminally online in the thread and will help out now and then, and wanted to do so in a minimally invasive way.

After today, I'm questioning whether or not any of this is worth my time and mental bandwidth because I kind of feel like whatever my response to the situation was, it would have been met with some kind of backlash and that sucks a lot!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

If you genuinely feel that people are upset at you solely to be upset with you, and not because of the specific reasons multiple posters have stated in this thread and SAD (agreeing with the grave-dancing poster, etc.), then yeah maybe being an IK isn't for you.

I didn't even know until now that I was the subject of yet another thread until now, so that's fun.

I don't think anyone's upset with me solely to be upset, I think people are intentionally reading what I said in the most uncharitable light possible, which is something that isn't exclusive to me and happens all the time everywhere on this forum, which is also lovely.

But this is also annoying to deal with to an extent that it makes me wonder why I'm investing any time in it at all, so I think I'm out.

Good luck finding anyone willing to take that dump of a thread on in the capacity that's being demanded here. You've got your work cut out for you.

Tarnop posted:

This is the first time I've seen anyone complain about your decisions, outside of the thread that was deemed to be enough of a mess to need you as a dedicated IK. I don't even know if they've complained about you in that thread other than the guy I saw whining about tone policing in response to this probe.

By SA standards, that's pretty loving good! Seriously. And this situation wasn't that big a deal. I'd have liked a longer probe and a less conciliatory probe reason, that's it. Again, by SA standards this is small stuff. Clearly the rest of the TG mod team has your back still, tempers have cooled, no is asking for your head. The worst has passed.

If this situation wasn't that big a deal then it certainly didn't warrant people lashing out at/about me in three different threads about it.

It's clear that I'm not cut out for being an IK in the capacity that's being expected here, and like I had said before, it's something I was asked to do and only agreed to do on the expectation that I didn't have to be hyper-involved with it. I've been a mod/admin on other forums in the past and it's something I never really wanted to do again due to it being an exhausting and thankless full-time job (where the job is people getting angry at you for trying to help, or just not doing it their way) which is why I asked for my role to be so limited. I hate being in the spotlight or under a microscope like this. SA standards or not, this is a whole lot of drama I never wanted to have to deal with again.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 11, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I don't actually think "the capacity being demanded here" is unreasonable, it's "ban known lovely posters for longer than 24 hours at a stretch." Now you yourself have said that you think this is a thing that should be done, but that you feel like your hands are tied:

and I think that's worth noting here in the feedback thread, because I've also brought this point up before that right now it feels like there are basically only two forms of moderation, an endless revolving door of 6-24 hour probations or permabans when someone crosses the posting event horizon.

I think that what's being asked for when it comes to chronically lovely posters who repeatedly act like assholes is both A). not actually all that difficult to deliver on, and B). if there's a difficulty it sounds like it's on the end of the forum moderation as a whole being reluctant to commit to escalating probations when someone continues to persistently act like a dipshit. I think when someone's response is "good luck moderating that shithole of a thread," that's another sign that perhaps how moderation happens could stand to be reevaluated.

At other places I've admin'd at, the general rule was that you get a few strikes and if you still push it, you're banned (with a few occasional exceptions in giving people a chance to redeem themselves with great effort, because at least it sometimes ended up being entertaining and the person got to stick around and regain the respect of their fellow posters again). None of this SA weirdness about a ban actually just being something you could buy yourself out of, just loving gone and IP banned if needed. But I understand that's part of SA's internet culture and just "is what it is" more or less. I've never really understood why people get so uptight about someone being outright exiled from an internet community when they show they don't really want to follow rules/respect others and just want to stir poo poo up. It isn't like they're being arrested for a crime or being crucified in public, it's showing them the door and making sure they can't get back in.

But that's not how it is here and as someone who has just been in charge of one lovely thread, it's more difficult than you'd think to make calls on what moderation is and isn't necessary, especially if you want to dole out probes fairly, because the way they get handed out is so inconsistent throughout the entire site. And they're clearly meaningless. No one should be able to amass 10+ probes and still be able to stick around imo. Joke probes are kinda weird too (and I understand the irony of saying this considering that's all I've got on my own rap sheet), but that's another culture thing so whatever.

What I guess I'm saying is that there aren't really consistent standards for what does and doesn't deserve consequences when clearly, that's a divisive subject when some people prefer a more hands-off approach and others want iron-fisted rule.

Captain Invictus posted:

you worded the probation reason so poorly that it's clearly not people "taking it uncharitably" considering the number of people who went "wtf is that probation reason", it's just a bad probe reason. it's not that big a deal, you could have requested it be changed but instead you're stepping down I guess, which, sure, I get it.

Changed or not, it doesn't really matter at this point imo, especially for how needlessly stressful this has ended up being, especially when all you were doing was trying to handle things in a level-headed manner. I clearly missed the mark.

I really do advise this thread to, in the future, try and look at what mods do in a way that understands that they're human and trying to do the job right, and not as punching bags to take their frustration out on, and you might see some more improvement.

When all you look for is the worst in people, it's all you're going to find.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

kalel posted:

the main mtg thread is currently fine and is a lot better from even six months ago

the commander-specific MTG thread, however, was a toxic cesspit last I checked

Popping in to say that the commander thread is infinitely more chill than the main thread and it's not really close at all. There have been a few flare ups here and there over the years but nothing damning or real issues have happened in ages really.

Reading the past page or so since I've ducked out of the conversation has been pretty enlightening and I understand where folks are coming from. I could have handled the situation better. Sorry about that.

Whoever said that a big issue is that a lot of posts don't deserve a sixer but the person posting is awful enough to drag the thread down is pretty spot on, because that is kind of how it ended up feeling a lot of the time. A lot of the reports I'd be hearing about were about Toshimo, yes, but I ended up dismissing many of them because tbh a lot of them were very honestly no worse than the assholeish posts that other people do but I never heard a single complaint about. It made it difficult to know what the line was without drawing it too short and just smacking everyone I saw who was getting too heated over cardboard or opinions thereof. I see this behavior so much on SA in general that it makes it hard to determine if it's just goons being goons and I'm probably overreacting, or if something is pushing it too far.

The most recent case was clearly over any line and I should have acted sooner without trying to be nice or level-headed about it. I will note that I did put in the request the day of the post, but it didn't get approved until around Sunday iirc. It makes it sound like I delayed a lot more than I actually did. Just wanted to clarify that bit. The entire post was inexcusable in context of the situation.

Another thing mentioned is that it seems like a lot of behaviors seem to be accepted more because a lot of the people who wouldn't put up with it are already gone/"invisible", and that sucks for everyone.

I meant what I said when I said I would be more strict on hostile posting in the future though. Even though I've decided to step down as IK I'll be making a point of reporting what I see, when I see it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 12, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Rutibex also got really, really weird about AI poo poo in the MTG thread before he got banned too, while literally no one wanted to hear it and was not able to be talked down at all. It wasn't just bad advice, it was just persistent and delusional noise that pissed everyone off.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Trad Games: Watch your perception of money change in real time as you try to justify spending over $100 on a single cardboard rectangle