Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did my first run with the professor and went from initially hating his gimmick because I didn't understand it to having my best run by far once I figured it out (you need to hold right click to move the drone toward the crosshair and can use it to attack from around cover/melee from a distance as long as you have signal, which is really powerful once you get the feel for it). Eventually got a pile of powerups that filled the screen with terrain-destroying explosions with every scythe swing while I could stay safe on the other side of the screen. it was absolute bedlam and I couldn't tell what was going on but it erased pretty much everything before I could even see it, so that's cool. I was going into the end boss of loop 1 in very good shape to win and go to loop 2, and then the game crashed from being out of memory so that run went up in smoke. I have 32 GB RAM so there's definitely some kind of serious memory leak. it's probably wise to save and restart the game between every loop or so.

what's the deal with bosses turning purple and having a second health bar? I thought it was just a thing in general except I've seen one time when it didn't happen and it simply died after the first health bar.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

Gotta admire the dedication :) How's enemy variety in comparison? More importantly, does the amount of enemies increase at a decent rate and does it reach the levels of Nuclear Throne where you'll be on loops with levels literally filled with enemies alongside those police enemies that teleport in?

I love NT but my one issue is how slow it starts and the repeated slog of getting to the point where there's a decent amount of action. Once it starts to snowball however it is fantastic and it's the one thing I hope Voidigo replicates since it seems similar but just with a much higher quality and polish, so I hope things get as batshit crazy as NT and they add fun little secrets to spice things up once the core is fully finished.

Hoping they bring it to consoles when all is said and done as well. I grab stuff on Steam but given the option I'd happily buy twice just to have on my Xbox, even if these games are a lot more difficult on controller compared to keyboard & mouse. I think the Hotline Miami games are the only ones I completely noped-out of buying on console after plugging a controller in to try on PC :stare:

I’ve had a couple runs that ended up as chaotic as nuclear throne in sheer volume of explosions etc, and enemy variety is quite good I’d say, but the scale is definitely a lot more constrained because levels are split up into separate rooms without too terribly many enemies at once, and they survive a lot longer than a typical NT enemy. I think the game is more comparable to enter the gungeon, although it’s also a lot more willing to let you have fun. I think that’s kind of my sales pitch for voidigo at this point: it’s EtG by devs who aren’t afraid of fun.

As a side note I’m really glad this game doesn’t seem to have any kind of vertical metaprogression. you unlock alternate starting gear options, eventually more content in the areas, and a very weird pet thing you can hire in a run (but you have to give something up to hire it so it isn’t free power), but no “start with more health” crap. Your first run is as well equipped to win as your fifth run.