Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Cross the following:

Ren & Stimpy
Enter The Gungeon
Nuclear Throne

What happened is that a game developer did this and they got the game Voidigo. You don't actually have to combine those yourself. Haha! Lil joke to start out the thread.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304680/Voidigo/ Voidigo on Steam
https://semiwork.se/ Developer Website
https://twitter.com/semiworkstudios Developer Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayThunder Developer YouTube
https://voidigo.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons Voidigo Weapon Wiki
https://voidigo.fandom.com/wiki/Characters Playable Characters

Released on June 8th 2023, Voidigo is a twin stick shooter packed with some of the best pixel art you'll find. If you spent any amount of time enjoying Nuclear Throne or Enter The Gungeon, Voidigo will feel not only familiar but comfortable. In addition to the wild amount of weapons you have a jump stomp that can be chained, during which you are invincible, you can melee away bullets or block them with a shield, or do this: pistol whip with any weapon! Yes, true weapon whip...

Voidigo appears to be a Steam only release. There are five playable classes, with one available at install. The game seems full of unlocks. This is something I actually hate, but the gameplay is fun. Go on and gitcha copy. See? Now you're happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The animation looks really good, drat

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

More first impressions:

The game just feels good to play. You always have a lot of options to get out of bad situations since you can hop on enemies, which is a chain invincibility ability. I can't explain it, it just feels good to get backed into a corner and escape by chain hopping eight enemies.

Bosses seem a little annoying to kill? I don't care about the combat itself, its the pauses when the boss escapes to another room. Maybe this is a relief on harder difficulties? I'm playing on moderate

Seems like almost all melee weapons have combos. I've had a samuri blade that cuts through terrain on the third swing and sends the player flying forward with invincibility frames that expire when you get to your target.

Lots of rat themed items. Looks like there is a powerup that skews the item rolls to that rat item set.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This game rules. Thank you for making this thread. I felt like I was the only one who saw it, like I hallucinate it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Huge fan of Nuclear Throne so bought this on Steam a while back but wanted to wait a while before playing due to early access. Looks amazing though and I love the little videos the devs share of new weapons they've made and other stuff. Looks like a really polished version of NT but I'm not sure if it gets as crazy with bullet hell and looping? The one issue with NT for me is the slow start of each run to really get going but once you do it's incredibly fun, I'm hoping Voidigo lets players get into the groove much faster. The bosses look very impressive as well.

Along these same lines, I saw this the other day which is also in the same style and looks really fun. Exciting to see people taking that NT formula and refining/polishing it so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rYd4Icm9E

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Fun fact: This game is made by the dude who went by ThunderHumour on youtube a while back and did some pretty great animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sv4omgQYk8

I've been following this for a while albeit not too closely but it's great to see him really knuckle down and work on something that he really cares about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game's a delight to control, stomping is fun as heck. made it to world 3 first-go on Rogue before I ate poo poo

not too sure when i'm expected to do any blocking yet, just jumping over everything seems to be doing just fine

music's a little... there i guess? maybe i'm spoiled from playing EtG the last several days lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You are supposed to put a funny subtitle to the thread, that's just how it works! I propose Voidigo: LSD simulator roguelite

About the game itself, I would like to know what is the point of the weapon, powerups and boss essences you get. It seems they contribute to unlock... something. But do I have to wait until ALL is collected?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Been loving this game so far. It's the only roguelite I've played that feels like a proper Nuclear Throne successor

For anyone having trouble, the plant character south of the camp has a really strong summon as an unlock that's carried me from moderate to brutal almost by itself lol

Turin Turambar posted:

About the game itself, I would like to know what is the point of the weapon, powerups and boss essences you get. It seems they contribute to unlock... something. But do I have to wait until ALL is collected?
I think maybe the different sub-sections unlock something individually? Still takes incredibly long though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Gunchucks with a ton of melee upgrades got me into my first loop. Then I carelessly traded them for a heart upgrade. The trade interface is not that great and you can easily mistake one for a standard item altar.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I like the challenge system, there is a nice amount of modifiers that can apply.

I unlocked first the professor and he was pain to use, it allows for some 'safe' encounters as his drone is what it fires, but it gives you another element you have to track on screen and take in account. I also unlocked the thing with the extensible arm. I will try to unlock the plant later.

What I don't like of the game is that the final boss is the typical over-tuned game difficulty spike. I can beat the first three worlds and their bosses without issue, getting ot the fourth world with max health, on Moderate difficulty. Then the final boss appears and owns me. He is much harder than the rest of content of the game.
Another thing where I'm more... divided in what to think of it, it's the entire super busy visual clutter the game have. It can get real confusing in the middle of combat, with enemies doing their thing, particle effects, weapons, aoe effects going on, etc; on the other hand it's part of the charm of the game, the unique visual identity.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 14, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I beat my first run, but yeah, some of the attacks/ projectiles are very busy visually, so it's hard to tell what's happening when things get chaotic. On the end boss I was basically just spamming jump for the I frames.

The aoe warning boxes not being accurate also hosed me up a bunch.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is pretty great, feels kind of like nuclear throne on an acid trip.

Managed to complete a run on rogue on my second try, on the back of an insect leg melee weapon backed up by a bunch of different melee enhancing chilis and something that made it shoot lasers. Intense difficulty seems like quite a step up though, everything does so much damage.

Really looking forward to jump back in later tonight, feels like I've barely scratched the surface

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think you need all of them, just a subset. You'll figure out what it's towards after you beat a run.

Edit: The starting weapon for the cloud guy is hilarious.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 14, 2023

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Last time they posted a development update they said they were going to change how the map works, you can see it on the bottom gif on the OP. But for me it's the same as all of the previous versions. Did they decide not to go with it in the end or is it just like that because I'm using an old save file?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

A full melee build with Cloud's max upgraded arm length is such a delight. I got through to the second loop when I died. Had the cheese hammer and gunchucks until the latter got destroyed by the loot roulette before the loop - and gently caress that by the way

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, if you want a free win, just grab and upgrade every beacon powerup you see, then fight bosses next to one.

Also, if you knock a boss into phase 2 next to a beacon, it seems to break it, and leave an anti-void themed item behind.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, if you want a free win, just grab and upgrade every beacon powerup you see, then fight bosses next to one.

Also, if you knock a boss into phase 2 next to a beacon, it seems to break it, and leave an anti-void themed item behind.

Don't underestimate my ability to lose even in those conditions!

i have unlocked now the extra content for each area, it's nice to have some new enemies and bosses.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Died on loop 5. I was using snake, bat, rat upgrades with weptek homing on a green fish weapon that fires twenty shots each click. Bullet upgrades are shared with companions. I needed to sacrifice seven items to get to the loop and went in with two HP, which is how hard everything hits.

I've been on the lookout for BOA-style "bad" upgrades. Here's one:

Homesick bullets: stay away every time. It COULD be good with full sprint and walk upgrades if your goal is to drag bullets behind you, but the core functionality seems to cut your attack range by 70% and give the boomerang effect.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Very fun last fight, every bit as chaotic as the rest, just a shame it's locked behind that long grind. Don't bring summons unless you also have the "Health pots also heals summons" powerup, they will get destroyed
Also, it unlocked a NG+ mode, but it doesn't say anything about what it actually does? Just "Greater challenges".

Anyway, really fun game, though it feels a bit... short on content? It really isn't though, with the sheer amount of weapons and powerups, but having only 3 zones, and 4 bosses per zone, some of which you often fight at the same time, makes things get a bit repetitive after a while.
Honestly, I feel the game might be a victim of its own quality, so to say. Everything is so well animated and has its own sound design/music theme, and it feels that might have affected just how much they could stretch the content.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

They spent waaaayyy too much time on animations for the level of content. If you sit and watch the idle animations for The One, you'll be astounded. It is a sword, holding a smaller sword, holding an even smaller sword. The large sword and the medium sword HATE each other. The medium sized sword will swing the smaller sword at the large one, and they bark back and forth at each other. Now, keep in mind, this is one of 170 weapons, with several idle animations, in a game where you are constantly moving. Yikes!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did my first run with the professor and went from initially hating his gimmick because I didn't understand it to having my best run by far once I figured it out (you need to hold right click to move the drone toward the crosshair and can use it to attack from around cover/melee from a distance as long as you have signal, which is really powerful once you get the feel for it). Eventually got a pile of powerups that filled the screen with terrain-destroying explosions with every scythe swing while I could stay safe on the other side of the screen. it was absolute bedlam and I couldn't tell what was going on but it erased pretty much everything before I could even see it, so that's cool. I was going into the end boss of loop 1 in very good shape to win and go to loop 2, and then the game crashed from being out of memory so that run went up in smoke. I have 32 GB RAM so there's definitely some kind of serious memory leak. it's probably wise to save and restart the game between every loop or so.

what's the deal with bosses turning purple and having a second health bar? I thought it was just a thing in general except I've seen one time when it didn't happen and it simply died after the first health bar.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 26, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

parthenocarpy posted:

They spent waaaayyy too much time on animations for the level of content. If you sit and watch the idle animations for The One, you'll be astounded. It is a sword, holding a smaller sword, holding an even smaller sword. The large sword and the medium sword HATE each other. The medium sized sword will swing the smaller sword at the large one, and they bark back and forth at each other. Now, keep in mind, this is one of 170 weapons, with several idle animations, in a game where you are constantly moving. Yikes!

Gotta admire the dedication :) How's enemy variety in comparison? More importantly, does the amount of enemies increase at a decent rate and does it reach the levels of Nuclear Throne where you'll be on loops with levels literally filled with enemies alongside those police enemies that teleport in?

I love NT but my one issue is how slow it starts and the repeated slog of getting to the point where there's a decent amount of action. Once it starts to snowball however it is fantastic and it's the one thing I hope Voidigo replicates since it seems similar but just with a much higher quality and polish, so I hope things get as batshit crazy as NT and they add fun little secrets to spice things up once the core is fully finished.

Hoping they bring it to consoles when all is said and done as well. I grab stuff on Steam but given the option I'd happily buy twice just to have on my Xbox, even if these games are a lot more difficult on controller compared to keyboard & mouse. I think the Hotline Miami games are the only ones I completely noped-out of buying on console after plugging a controller in to try on PC :stare:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

Gotta admire the dedication :) How's enemy variety in comparison? More importantly, does the amount of enemies increase at a decent rate and does it reach the levels of Nuclear Throne where you'll be on loops with levels literally filled with enemies alongside those police enemies that teleport in?

I love NT but my one issue is how slow it starts and the repeated slog of getting to the point where there's a decent amount of action. Once it starts to snowball however it is fantastic and it's the one thing I hope Voidigo replicates since it seems similar but just with a much higher quality and polish, so I hope things get as batshit crazy as NT and they add fun little secrets to spice things up once the core is fully finished.

Hoping they bring it to consoles when all is said and done as well. I grab stuff on Steam but given the option I'd happily buy twice just to have on my Xbox, even if these games are a lot more difficult on controller compared to keyboard & mouse. I think the Hotline Miami games are the only ones I completely noped-out of buying on console after plugging a controller in to try on PC :stare:

I’ve had a couple runs that ended up as chaotic as nuclear throne in sheer volume of explosions etc, and enemy variety is quite good I’d say, but the scale is definitely a lot more constrained because levels are split up into separate rooms without too terribly many enemies at once, and they survive a lot longer than a typical NT enemy. I think the game is more comparable to enter the gungeon, although it’s also a lot more willing to let you have fun. I think that’s kind of my sales pitch for voidigo at this point: it’s EtG by devs who aren’t afraid of fun.

As a side note I’m really glad this game doesn’t seem to have any kind of vertical metaprogression. you unlock alternate starting gear options, eventually more content in the areas, and a very weird pet thing you can hire in a run (but you have to give something up to hire it so it isn’t free power), but no “start with more health” crap. Your first run is as well equipped to win as your fifth run.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

They spent waaaayyy too much time on animations for the level of content.

From the roguelike thread:

goferchan posted:

It's made by an animator-turned-game-designer and not the other way around, so that makes sense

So it makes sense!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The snord gives you a kiss as an idle animation

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Cloud Float has to be the most OP upgrade. You can initiate a melee attack with windup, jump and float, and enjoy all your invincibility frames while attacking for free

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Huge update dropped

quote:

NEW
Shortcut Area - The shortcut portals are now always available and now take you to a new shortcut area, where you will be able to pick what area to travel to!
Pet Reroll - For another couple Void Fragments you can now reroll your selection of parts!
Constant Zoom Out - Can now be toggled in settings!
You can now see how much health the enemy that caused your demise had left on the death screen.
Lootable Outlines - Lootables now have outlines to make them easier to distinguish from other props. Can be tweaked in settings!
Ground Battle Tint - During battle the ground will now tint to lower the contrast of the different materials. Can be tweaked in settings!
Prop Battle Tint - The amount props tint to the ground color during battle can now be tweaked in settings! A bit higher default than before.
Friendly Bullet Battle Opacity - The opacity of friendly bullets during battle can now be tweaked in settings.
There is now a setting to toggle if a friendly bullet will gradually fade over time.
There is now a setting to toggle if gamepad aim assist should ignore the player aim direction.
There is now a setting to adjust brightness.
There are now settings to skip different types of cutscenes.

---

CHANGES
Health and ammo pickups are now easier to pick up when they are being knocked around.
Some corrupted 'Instant Pickup Max Health Heart' powerups can not ask to trade for a Max Health Heart anymore.
Corrupted Upgrade Bundles do not spawn randomly in the world anymore. To give more room for Reusable Upgrade Bundles.
Recycler - Now a 'Hold to Interact'.
Treasure Guy - Now has a stomp prompt, disappears after stomped the first time.
Friendly bullets fade out faster to help with readability.
Grid Lock Challenge - Smoother camera motion.
Void Eye - Indicator is now active when Eye is visible as well. Eye is now faintly drawn on top of other objects.
Void Portal - Does not spawn after beating the Final Run, unless replaying Final Run.
Co-op - Battle camera now zooms out quite a bit more.
Antlantis blue walls are now a different shade!
Ants in The Pants Challenge - Longer coolown before you can fail the challenge. New visuals on the players!

POWERUP CHANGES
Avoidatron Bullet Lotion - Now synergizes more with other bullet modifiers instead of ignoring them.
Linear Field - Now called Bullet Beam. New visuals. Now synergizes more with other bullet modifiers instead of ignoring them. Bullets now home in on the players 'aim line' and flow along that line.
Homesick Bullet Lotion - Now called Mama Bullet Lotion. Bullets are not lobbed anymore, instead they get their 'homesickness' when hitting a wall or running out of range.

WEAPON CHANGES
Dragon Do-over - Fixed bullets not spawning in the correct position in some cases.

NPC CHANGES
Corrupted Puppeteer - Stompable state now gets a 'stomp prompt' until you stomp them.

---

BALANCING
Loop Minigame - Hitting an upgraded powerup will now remove all of its upgrades, while hitting a non-upgraded one will remove it entirely. (note-This is describing behavior that currently existed pre-patch. This roulette has had a few iterations, so I'm not sure what kind of change is actually being described here)

POWERUP BALANCING
Companions - Now healed after beating the first phase of the Void Puppeteer.
Swing Shot - A weaker version is now also triggered by pets with melee weapons.
Rumble Ray - A weaker version is now also triggered by pets with melee weapons.
Melee Mimic - A weaker version is now also triggered by pets with melee weapons.
Crab Boot - Does more damage and crabs now pinch.
Pump King - Now synergizes with '8x Scope High Heels' and elemental stomp powerups.
Frog Bullet Lotion - The reduction in bullet speed is now percentage-based, not a total override.
Rat Bullet Lotion - Now 'Uncommon' instead of 'Common'. The reduction in bullet speed is now percentage-based, not a total override.
Snake Bullet Lotion - The reduction in bullet speed is now percentage-based, not a total override.
Bat Bullet Lotion - The reduction in bullet speed is now percentage-based, not a total override.
Protectus Bullet Lotion - The reduction in bullet speed is now percentage-based, not a total override.
Grenade Bullet Lotion - Now synergizes better with other powerups instead of fully overriding their effects.
Bright Idea - Now shoots a few zap bullets by default.
Jellified Tungsten Bullet Lotion - A new final upgrade that makes all bullets tumble your targets.
Weptek Accuracy Optimizer - Does not make the bullet slightly homing anymore.
Weptek Smart Bullet Lotion - Now 'Rare' instead of 'Ultra Rare'. Starts off weaker but same effect when fully upgraded.

WEAPON BALANCING
The One - Does more damage and has a bit bigger clip.
Crabromancer - Does more damage and crabs now pinch.
55 Vocaliber - Creates more water.
Combat Rifle Anniversary Edition - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Thumper - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Cross Bone - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Siegemaster - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Buccaneer - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Boring Bazooka - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Quadzooka - Explosions no longer tumble the player.
Striker - Explosions no longer tumble the player.

NPC BALANCING
Void Puppeteer - Beating the first phase now rewards some Void Fragments as well.

---

FIXES
Gunpowder - Enemy gunpowder explosions stuck to the player now actually affect the player. Now fizzle out and disappear on a dodge.
Fixed a bug causing each loop to count as a new run on the player's save file.
Double Shop - Updated Ammo Jar prompt to better fit the interaction.
Kill Order Challenge - Fixed numbers disappearing after a cinematic.
Final Run - Fixed world start cutscene being displayed incorrectly when continuing a mid-run save.
Void Challenger - Fixed a rare bug where the Challenger would spawn in the Antivoid but invisible, when interacted with the game would crash.
Recharge Seller - Fixed co-op player not able to pay with Shards.

POWERUP FIXES
Pollen Dash - Now hides during cinematics.
Ornate Wooden Hilt - Fixed melee weapons already able to break walls still taking durability when upgraded to fully negate durability loss.
Blast Refractor - Fixed some rare cases where the lasers would get very long range when hitting walls.
Crazy Rat Lady - Fixed a bug causing her not to set her attack cooldown correctly.
Beacon connected powerups - Fixed some rare cases when they were active even though the Beacon was not visible.

NPC FIXES
Void Infested Beacon - Fixed a dormant beacon being able to be activated by Pump King before turning into its Void version.
Void Puppeteer - Fixed some rare cases when the Puppeteer would be in an inaccessible spot waiting for the player to stomp them.
Porko Shooter - Fixed icon having the wrong weapon.

UI FIXES
Tab Menu Powerup Description - Fixed the scroll length not updating correctly in some cases.
Narrator Subtitles - Fixed a bug causing the text to overlap with the previous line in some rare cases.
Coop Menu - Fixed a color selection bug when clicking 'Ready' with mouse. Hitting 'Enter' now also confirms selection for the player using keyboard and mouse.
Settings - Fixed being able to select keyboard bind with gamepad and gamepad bind with keyboard.

---

OPTIMIZATION
Fixed a bunch of memory leaks!
A new approach to loading weapon textures that should lead to less strain on the graphical memory!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Clearing out my backlog and finally mastered enough items to unlock the final run. Special thanks to my pets Bubogu and Ma for helping me through it, was lucky enough to equip Ma with a Voidasher during the creation process which is about as good as you can get so he was pumping out damage.

Game feels a lot more chaotic than something like Gungeon but I enjoyed it a lot. Looking at the wiki there are a bunch of weapons and powerups I never encountered after playing for ~15 hours, hopefully they do major content updates like the ones Gungeon did to give some more reason to jump back in.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Got my first win today. I am constantly surprised by how god drat well Voidigo plays, because it's 100% a game you'd expect to be all style over substance, but nope, it's a really god drat good shooter on top of looking incredible.

Amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This looks sick I wish it was on ps4 :c