Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021
I started this account like a year or two ago and still have no clue what the hell 56k no means. With reddit imploding I imagine there will probably be other new users that have similar questions about forum lingo or history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dweepus posted:

I started this account like a year or two ago and still have no clue what the hell 56k no means. With reddit imploding I imagine there will probably be other new users that have similar questions about forum lingo or history.

As you are likely aware, this place has existed for over 20 years. Back then people had those landline phone-based modems that were super slow, being the most common at the time the 56k ones.

It was good etiquette to warn those people not to click on a thread with a million images because that was going to cost them actual money to load.

Then it was kept as an in-joke over the years to say a thread consists mostly of multiple pictures per post.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Originally it was a sincere a warning that a thread had a lot of images and would be miserable for users browsing the forums with dial-up internet. everyone here is old af.

e: looks like I still haven’t learned to refresh before replying

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
It means if you make ≤ $56k/year you are not welcome in that thread. Luckily blatant classism such as this has largely been eliminated from the forums culture.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ48-d-8x4

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

.random
May 7, 2007

5 6 k = the fifth letter of the alphabet (E), the sixth letter (F), and of course a K which is the eleventh letter (11), i.e., EF11.

EF11 (Electronic Front 11) was an early internet terrorist group whose exact origins are I think?? still unknown (please, elder goons, correct me if I’m wrong here?). Their trademark was making GBS threads up image threads with their very unwelcome beliefs.

However, at the time, directly mentioning them (just posting EF11 at all) was enough to guarantee they would sic their hundreds of bots on your thread, flooding it with their particularly problematic beliefs. A sort of secret lingo emerged where we would refer to them as 56K instead of EF11. Members of EF11 obviously eventually caught on, so it became a handy way of warning them off from a thread (56k no! -> EF11 no!) without having to mention their name and draw the automated thread bombing.

It’s hardly exclusive to SomethingAwful… you can see it on all sorts of old message boards and such at the time. A dark time in internet history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Someone post Goatse so we can get SA 101 lessons started.