Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
A post for sharing your bookbinding project and ideas, asking for help and suggestions.

I've been bookbinding for a couple years myself. Doing it in my free time as a hobby, but occasionally do commissions and sell some of my books.
Currently working on finishing Malazan books for myself.

CattleAbduction fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Don't leave us hanging man, we need more details. I wouldn't necessarily expect a flood of people who also bind books though, but Lord knows I've been wrong before.

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Slugworth posted:

Don't leave us hanging man, we need more details. I wouldn't necessarily expect a flood of people who also bind books though, but Lord knows I've been wrong before.

Alright. Malazan series includes 10 books. I've finished 3 books, 1 book is nearly done. I've made those one by one. Now I've decided to complete the remaining 6 books in a batch.
About binding:
The binding style is called case binding - the cover (case) is made separately from the bookblock and then attached to it.
I typeset the books myself - they range from 800 to 1200 pages per book. Printing on my InkJet printer - 80gsm Dowling paper.
It's a half leather binding. I'm using goat leather and marbled paper for the covers.

CattleAbduction fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 23, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thats freakin gorgeous.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Why a half leather binding instead of a full leather one? Just aesthetic choice, or some other factor?

(printing 10 books out on an inkjet printer... wow)

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Beato Believer posted:

Why a half leather binding instead of a full leather one? Just aesthetic choice, or some other factor?

When the books are on the shelf the front covers are not visible anyway and to save on the leather. I also quite like the aesthetics of half leather binding.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I see. I always wondered why some books were bound half-leather and others full-leather. Thanks!

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
Another book I'm working on is almost completed - only need to dry it up for a couple days.

CattleAbduction fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

So you sew all the pages together or are they glued or what?

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

So you sew all the pages together or are they glued or what?

to put it simply - the signatures are sewn first, then the spine is reinforced with glue

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I doubt I will ever undertake this myself but these are beautiful and I would love to read any effort post you throw out on how this is all done. I'm kind of assuming you're the only one here doing this, but this is really neat!

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I doubt I will ever undertake this myself but these are beautiful and I would love to read any effort post you throw out on how this is all done. I'm kind of assuming you're the only one here doing this, but this is really neat!

Thanks for your feedback, however it's hard to believe there aren't any bookbinders here. I will post my projects' progress details here, briefly explaining what I've done and how. Who knows maybe more bookbinders will show up.

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
Today I've trimmed the book blocks. Next steps are rounding and backing.

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
after rounding

and after fitting the boards

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have made "woodblock" pressed comic books from 3d-printed blocks. The comics are only 16 pages long (including covers) so they fit on an octavo, which is then folded, stitched, and cut to make a single gathering.

What kind of supplies do you use for stitching? Just normal cotton thread, or is it something specific? I use upholstery needles and a sailmaking palm, but the stitching is still the biggest hassle.

What do you use for trimming? A normal paper cutter works for my stuff, but I assume you're using some kind of shear?

What kind of ink are you using for printing? I am always worried that inkjet or something will bleed if it ever gets damp; are there archival injket inks?

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What kind of supplies do you use for stitching? Just normal cotton thread, or is it something specific? I use upholstery needles and a sailmaking palm, but the stitching is still the biggest hassle.

What do you use for trimming? A normal paper cutter works for my stuff, but I assume you're using some kind of shear?

What kind of ink are you using for printing? I am always worried that inkjet or something will bleed if it ever gets damp; are there archival injket inks?

I use thread from leatherworking shop 0.3 mm and 0.45 mm.
I go to a local printing shop to use their industrial cutter.
I use standard ink. No problem so far, but I haven't tested for water resistance.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Is there a reason for the rouding, other than to give it sexy curves?

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Buttchocks posted:

Is there a reason for the rouding, other than to give it sexy curves?

Yes, to reduce the spine swell, thread adds extra thickness to the book spine.

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

summer is a busy time, haven't had much time. These 2 need only marbled paper and finally attaching the case to the bookblock

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
current progress

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
project completed

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

those look great! what are you using for the gold tooling?

i am finishing my first clamshell box for my 1st edition of the king in yellow. im making it out of misc material (some buckskin, canvas, binder board i cannibalized from an old junk book) i have laying around but i think it should be safe to use long term. i did use artist canvas instead of bookcloth, not sure if that was a bad idea or not

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

jarofpiss posted:

those look great! what are you using for the gold tooling?

i am finishing my first clamshell box for my 1st edition of the king in yellow. im making it out of misc material (some buckskin, canvas, binder board i cannibalized from an old junk book) i have laying around but i think it should be safe to use long term. i did use artist canvas instead of bookcloth, not sure if that was a bad idea or not

It's not gold tooling, those are vinyl decals I cut with Cricut.
Canvas will do nicely, I used it once too. I've also made a clamshell box recently.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i have wanted to get into bookbinding since i was a teenager and just never got started. i like the idea of binding my own custom volumes of books i like. i collect weird fiction 1st editions so im starting out learning clamshell boxes for my more delicate books. eventually i think i'd like to build a press and do the whole hand sewn signatures and everything, but learning the computer text formatting seems more intimidating than anything else.

that and it's like a million dollars to put together a typesetting stamp set for tooling the covers. the cricut is a great idea, my wife has one of those

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

any specfic books you recommend on this? ive watched all the youtube i want to at this point

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

jarofpiss posted:

i have wanted to get into bookbinding since i was a teenager and just never got started. i like the idea of binding my own custom volumes of books i like. i collect weird fiction 1st editions so im starting out learning clamshell boxes for my more delicate books. eventually i think i'd like to build a press and do the whole hand sewn signatures and everything, but learning the computer text formatting seems more intimidating than anything else.
I can share some of my typesets to get you started.

jarofpiss posted:

that and it's like a million dollars to put together a typesetting stamp set for tooling the covers. the cricut is a great idea, my wife has one of those

Yep, I'm trying to purchase some tools to get into gilding currently.

jarofpiss posted:

any specfic books you recommend on this? ive watched all the youtube i want to at this point

I think you can find everything you need on DAS bookbinding channel, most of the things I know I've learned there

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022
Any bookbinders who want to share their work?

Here's my latest work:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I like to make books but am just an amateur. Here are some books I've made recently:

Three hardbound:

Two Smythe-bound:

I also like to make stab bindings and made one recently to collect a bunch of off-printings of some of my linocut prints. As the prints aren't perfect, I decided to make the binding also "imperfect" by adding hardcovers and omitting the two middle looping stitches:

I like to keep the offcuts for my coverstock and whatnot so I can reuse them as pages in other books. The blue Smythe-bound book is made with offcuts and it makes for a really cool effect when flipping pages:

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Chip McFuck posted:

I like to make books but am just an amateur. Here are some books I've made recently:

Awesome, what is that really tall book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

CattleAbduction posted:

Awesome, what is that really tall book?

Thanks! The tall one is a sketchbook, so the inside pages are blank. I made it with 90-pound paper, so it'll be a nice book to use ink and paint in.