Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

those look great! what are you using for the gold tooling?

i am finishing my first clamshell box for my 1st edition of the king in yellow. im making it out of misc material (some buckskin, canvas, binder board i cannibalized from an old junk book) i have laying around but i think it should be safe to use long term. i did use artist canvas instead of bookcloth, not sure if that was a bad idea or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i have wanted to get into bookbinding since i was a teenager and just never got started. i like the idea of binding my own custom volumes of books i like. i collect weird fiction 1st editions so im starting out learning clamshell boxes for my more delicate books. eventually i think i'd like to build a press and do the whole hand sewn signatures and everything, but learning the computer text formatting seems more intimidating than anything else.

that and it's like a million dollars to put together a typesetting stamp set for tooling the covers. the cricut is a great idea, my wife has one of those

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

any specfic books you recommend on this? ive watched all the youtube i want to at this point