Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I don’t care if the default is on, but for the sanity of my wife, I wish it would stay off, rather than reset after the car’s turned off.

I’m sure it needs to do that to meet whatever regulation made them add it in the first place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah how bout the automatic shutoff is an optimization thing that you enable, rather than the default??

https://i.imgur.com/6j8xEgM.mp4

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Wifi Toilet posted:

Did anyone say eBay yet? Just sold something for $20 and I got like 15 and change payment. Is eBay seriously charging 20% to sell on their site now? Lol.

20% seems high than what they list for $20 items, but I don't know if you've got multiple fees piling up

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Did they pull out sales tax too or something?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Did anyone say eBay yet? Just sold something for $20 and I got like 15 and change payment. Is eBay seriously charging 20% to sell on their site now? Lol.

13.something% and a flat fee of like 35p, you can get charged more for putting too many pictures or putting your item in multiple categories too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Remember the whole thing about how all those free/cheap/spamming vpns are privacy sucking dumpster fires you shouldn't trust?

https://m.slashdot.org/story/426501

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I mean, if you trusted a VPN offered by Facebook that’s a little bit your fault.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gwely Mernans posted:

The engine auto shutoff is so annoying for my commute. I usually take a back route to work that includes about 6 4-way stops out in the boonies. Unless there's a bunch of traffic, most people do slightly rolling stops since you can see traffic from a mile away as you're pulling to the intersections and I can't tell you how many times the sudden loss of acceleration causes confusion because people think you're letting them take right of way before your car suddenly decides to turn back on.

Probably more of an infrastructure problem but still a gripe I have.

My car doesn’t have this, but my dad’s enormous F-150 (or something) does and it freaks me out. I’ll stop at a light and not even notice the engine shut off until it buckles and groans as I put my foot on the pedal to go.

I get that it’s to cut down on emissions and save fuel, but maybe in lieu of that you could just buy a smaller vehicle?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My car doesn’t have this, but my dad’s enormous F-150 (or something) does and it freaks me out. I’ll stop at a light and not even notice the engine shut off until it buckles and groans as I put my foot on the pedal to go.

I get that it’s to cut down on emissions and save fuel, but maybe in lieu of that you could just buy a smaller vehicle?

Have you spoken with your dad about his small dick energy?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The ultimate car is an early 2000's Sienna minivan, you cannot improve on perfection

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Those Siennas were safe, could carry anything and anyone, could tow stuff, had decentish gas mileage, rode smoothly, and could easily make 200000 miles with basic routine maintenance. The pinnacle of automotive design.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I drive a hatchback because I got a big dick. Also I like being able to actually drive the car with ease.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Those Siennas were safe, could carry anything and anyone, could tow stuff, had decentish gas mileage, rode smoothly, and could easily make 200000 miles with basic routine maintenance. The pinnacle of automotive design.

Those OG Siennas were just boring AF versions of the Previa. :colbert:

E: I know they are completely different under the hood, I just mean as far as their place in the market is concerned.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 27, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gwely Mernans posted:

The engine auto shutoff is so annoying for my commute. I usually take a back route to work that includes about 6 4-way stops out in the boonies. Unless there's a bunch of traffic, most people do slightly rolling stops since you can see traffic from a mile away as you're pulling to the intersections and I can't tell you how many times the sudden loss of acceleration causes confusion because people think you're letting them take right of way before your car suddenly decides to turn back on.

Probably more of an infrastructure problem but still a gripe I have.

Yeah I hate that "feature" and I'm the kind of person that cuts the engine in a drive thru.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Aramis posted:

Those OG Siennas were just boring AF versions of the Previa. :colbert:

E: I know they are completely different under the hood, I just mean as far as their place in the market is concerned.

I learned to drive in my mom's Previa. The dash was like a ST TNG set piece

looks like someone agrees with me

They sorta pricey, but I'm very seriously considering one of the new hybrid awd Sienna as my next car (if I get one)

#carchat

also I'm pretty sure those start/stop thingies are quasi-gimmicks so gas guzzling SUVs can meet EPA requirements

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
It's fine on a hybrid because you still have the electric to get you going while the engine starts, but it sounds really loving annoying for a traditional ice

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

xpost from another thread:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But! You need to be careful who you buy your vinegar from! Store-brand and cheap vinegars are now below the level of acidity to make them safe for canning. A new version of shrinkflation. Always buy 5% acid vinegar, and always check the bottle.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
how long has wordle made you get an account to see your stats?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ I don't think you HAVE to, it just really wants to. I click past it and can see my stats just fine. ^ ^ ^

hawowanlawow posted:

xpost from another thread:

Yeah, I saw a lot of stuff about that last summer/fall. I do home canning/picking so I was extra careful to look for that.

So far, it seems the basic Heinz jug o' cheap white vinegar from Costco is still 5%.

I looked into using some of that "extra strength" vinegar you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot for cleaning that's, like, 30% and diluting it down myself, but the math is not any cheaper. Almost exactly the same price as buying, 5 or 6 jugs of 5% vinegar. All I'd save is storage space for only needing one jug to get me through a canning season, not two or three.

But with the 20% vinegar, I'd also ruin the risk of forgetting to dilute it and have a really, REALLY bad day.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Armacham posted:

It's fine on a hybrid because you still have the electric to get you going while the engine starts, but it sounds really loving annoying for a traditional ice

It is essentially not noticable. The engine restarts as soon as you start to lift off the brake and is 100% ready in less time than it takes to move your foot to the accelerator.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Sentient Data posted:

Remember the whole thing about how all those free/cheap/spamming vpns are privacy sucking dumpster fires you shouldn't trust?

https://m.slashdot.org/story/426501

lol slashdot

wash bucket posted:

I mean, if you trusted a VPN offered by Facebook that’s a little bit your fault.

:emptyquote:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

wash bucket posted:

this is victim blaming

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

It is essentially not noticable. The engine restarts as soon as you start to lift off the brake and is 100% ready in less time than it takes to move your foot to the accelerator.

This is true, in principle. How it plays out depends on the vehicle.
On our Outback, when the engine auto-stops it tends to jerk the steering wheel just a little bit. Very annoying and I hate it.
No other AS/S :butt: vehicle I've driven did this.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

looks like someone agrees with me

They sorta pricey, but I'm very seriously considering one of the new hybrid awd Sienna as my next car (if I get one)

#carchat

also I'm pretty sure those start/stop thingies are quasi-gimmicks so gas guzzling SUVs can meet EPA requirements
I drove a mid-2000s Sienna for the first time twoish years ago and it is bewildering how spaceshippy it feels. I’ve only driven compacts and subcompacts before, a rare sedan or midsize on occasion.

I’ve been a passenger in minivans a zillion times before but after driving one, it felt spatially too large for a road, like this should be the largest cars are allowed to be. I’d be like Moleman behind the wheel of a lifted monstrosity.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So long as you keep your car perfectly tuned up and you're driving in the manner they expect in a controlled calm environment it works great!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

pencilhands posted:

this is victim blaming

That's right.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The ultimate car is an early 2000's Sienna minivan, you cannot improve on perfection
Too damned big for a ‘minivan’, plus that oil problem they kept denying. Hard pass (Mazda MPV rulez Sienna droolz).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wifi Toilet posted:

I don't remember it being that high, but I did sell a $1300 camera lens on there a long rear end time ago and I believe they took $50. I wasn't aware they took fees like that otherwise I would have listed it for $1350. Oh well.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cerekk posted:

I'm guessing there's different implementation on different manufacturers. On my Rav, you have to press the pedal pretty hard to get it to engage (unless you're the type to always slam the brakes, I guess) and so it's pretty easy to choose to not engage it if I'm just stopping at a clear 4-way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, Google's been slowly rolling out a version of their image search page without an 'advanced search' option, you can still go directly to it but I expect when they finish it'll go away. You only get the limited toolbar options.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I dunno, when it comes to driving controls TNG were unfortunately pretty prescient.

All touch all the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 28, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, Google's been slowly rolling out a version of their image search page without an 'advanced search' option, you can still go directly to it but I expect when they finish it'll go away. You only get the limited toolbar options.

I hate options that makes the service better, good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The forum search engine will soon be regarded as an unrivaled, enduring technical accomplishment

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When I joined Starfleet, that job was my only ambition. Unfortunately I’m right-handed, and was only allowed the other seat, which was much more competitive for some reason, and a much less creative position.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

The forum search engine will soon be regarded as an unrivaled, enduring technical accomplishment

i dunno, it tends to give me what i searched for, no more and no less, and doesn't hallucinate what it thinks i meant to or should have searched for instead, mediated by how much money the search thinks it can make by redirecting me to advertisers

sounds pretty suboptimal to me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We spent months putting together a system that would let us do the obscenely complicated reporting we have to do. A few weeks ago the accounting software decided that time tracking and expense management is now a seperate subscription and cut us off from that functionality without telling us.

Customer support didn't know what the problem was and it took literally weeks to figure out what was wrong with a basic functionality that's integral to how we function. I'm so pissed.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 28, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I hate options that makes the service better, good

I assume the idea is 'advanced search shouldn't be necessary, it should be good enough to give you what you want!' and that demand has overruled the many reasons why that won't work and also the fact that you can't reach that state just by taking away the advanced search.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MikeJF posted:

I assume the idea is 'advanced search shouldn't be necessary, it should be good enough to give you what you want!' and that demand has overruled the many reasons why that won't work and also the fact that you can't reach that state just by taking away the advanced search.

advanced search = trying to find something specific that is unlikely to result in buying product = why allow that kind of search to begin with?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Purposely tank their search engine so they don't get anti trust for monopolizing all internet services as that's not as profitable as all their data siphoning apps

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, when it comes to driving controls TNG were unfortunately pretty prescient.

All touch all the time.

I always wonder how they kept the carpets so clean, you never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Convex posted:

I always wonder how they kept the carpets so clean, you never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaner.

They transport the dirt out