Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And, your money can be stolen wirelessly right now with or without the card with a pin? That seems like a thing where, if you're scared of it you should become a computerless hermit bc that's the only way you are escaping it. That is why banks have built in systems for giving you your money back if someone does Do A Fraud. Someone hijacking your contactless payment would be treated the same as someone who stole your card number online. You wouldn't be responsible for any of the charges and would have your money back.

People (mostly old people) who think they are safe because they don't do "online" are probably the biggest targets for fraud, since someone could hijack and steal thousands from their bank account, and they potentially wouldn't know until weeks later.

They'll also happily rattle off their card numbers over the phone to someone in a call center located in who-knows-where along with everyone within earshot, and pay for things by giving out slips of paper with their name, address, account number, and routing number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Windows now forcing popups from my taskbar to click on bing ads.

The most tedious dystopia

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The_Franz posted:

People (mostly old people) who think they are safe because they don't do "online" are probably the biggest targets for fraud, since someone could hijack and steal thousands from their bank account, and they potentially wouldn't know until weeks later.

They'll also happily rattle off their card numbers over the phone to someone in a call center located in who-knows-where along with everyone within earshot, and pay for things by giving out slips of paper with their name, address, account number, and routing number.
This won’t make it any better, unfortunately.

quote:

But, more often, the technology seems to be used for nefarious purposes, like fraud. This has become easier now that TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram store endless videos of regular people talking. “It’s simple,” Farid explained. “You take thirty or sixty seconds of a kid’s voice and log in to ElevenLabs, and pretty soon Grandma’s getting a call in Grandson’s voice saying, ‘Grandma, I’m in trouble, I’ve been in an accident.’ ” A financial request is almost always the end game. Farid went on, “And here’s the thing: the bad guy can fail ninety-nine per cent of the time, and they will still become very, very rich. It’s a numbers game.” The prevalence of these illegal efforts is difficult to measure, but, anecdotally, they’ve been on the rise for a few years. In 2020, a corporate attorney in Philadelphia took a call from what he thought was his son, who said he had been injured in a car wreck involving a pregnant woman and needed nine thousand dollars to post bail. (He found out it was a scam when his daughter-in-law called his son’s office, where he was safely at work.) In January, voters in New Hampshire received a robocall call from Joe Biden’s voice telling them not to vote in the primary. (The man who admitted to generating the call said that he had used ElevenLabs software.) “I didn’t think about it at the time that it wasn’t his real voice,” an elderly Democrat in New Hampshire told the Associated Press. “That’s how convincing it was.”

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Tap to pay is nice. But sometimes it takes longer to find the tap hotspot than it does the actual card slot.

Tap to pay never works for me on gas pumps, though. They always error out unless I slot it. No idea why, it's all the gas stations. They must have some unique way of reading cards or something.

AppleSeason
May 23, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I've never signed any of my credit cards outside of my first one ever and never had it come up.

... except for just a couple days ago in Japan when a store wouldn't take my card unless it was signed. And then they just gave me a pen to sign it in front of them anyways :v:

Huh. I got the exact same experience in 2017, but at the Bangkok Airport.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just checked my card and the spot where I'm supposed to sign has been completely worn away anyway, because it's on the same end of the card as the chip.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Philthy posted:

Tap to pay is nice. But sometimes it takes longer to find the tap hotspot than it does the actual card slot.

Sometimes, tap-to-pay works. Sometimes when I try to tap-to-pay, I get a message telling me to swipe or insert the card. How is it even possible to have a card with a chip with a tap-to-pay success rate of neither 0% nor 100%? :psyduck:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes, tap-to-pay works. Sometimes when I try to tap-to-pay, I get a message telling me to swipe or insert the card. How is it even possible to have a card with a chip with a tap-to-pay success rate of neither 0% nor 100%? :psyduck:

Yeah it's hit or miss for me too. I use the chip reader 99% of the time. You can't swipe unless it fails 3 times and a lot of the time the tap doesn't even register that I'm holding my card there so I never use it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I pay with my Bitcoin doubloons, peasants :smuggo:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You guys are paying for things?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have never had contactless payment fail at a regular retail shop. Unless you microwave your card recreationally or are dealing with rageddy-rear end readers it should always work. My bank has a 5 transactions limit for contactless and then I have to insert it the next time and enter my PIN. This is a safety feature in case the card gets stolen. There is also a per-transaction € limit of how much you can pay at once without having to insert and enter the PIN for the same reason. Maybe you are hitting one of those? IIRC some banks are experimenting with "intelligent PINining" i.e. only.asking a PIN for unusual/risky transactions or whatever their machine learning model decides is "unusual behavior" for you.

Basically, contactless is the most insecure payment system and banks try to work around it. Using your phone or a smartwatch is much safer. With contactless anyone who steals the card can go hogwild with it for a number of transactions. Also anyone who can get a contactless payment reader near your rear end can steal money( although I have never heard this happening to anyone in real life.)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Having to do a PIN every 5 transactions would rock. The only place I've been that doesn't ever have me put in a PIN is Walmart. Guessing if your poo poo ever gets stolen, you're going to have it emptied at Walmart.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never in my life had a credit card with a pin required to use it. Only debit cards.

Well, unless I want to use my credit card at an ATM and pay 29% interest on it. That's not even something I'd consider.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A bank I formerly used went to chip and PIN and people lost their minds so loving hard that it got reverted in less than two months.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Philthy posted:

Having to do a PIN every 5 transactions would rock. The only place I've been that doesn't ever have me put in a PIN is Walmart. Guessing if your poo poo ever gets stolen, you're going to have it emptied at Walmart.

My credit card (UK) requires me to enter my PIN once per ten contactless transactions (online doesn't count).

I guess my shopping routine is pretty regular because this almost always kicks in at the fancy beer shop.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a mouse?!

Thanks Ants posted:

No no no no no no no no

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Siri please restart society on safe mode

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I have an acquaintance who has been working in financial IT for about two decades now, supporting and troubleshooting payment systems both in general and in specific applications.

And from his carefully vague stories, my position is that while I doubt contactless payment is particularly insecure, I would never laugh at anyone for assuming the very worst about electronic security in banks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is that like IOT designers refusing to have any smart gadgets in their house?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sorry goons. Trump keeps claiming you need an ID to buy groceries. I mistakenly thought more people would be familiar with it.
Trumpy don't go to the supermarket today!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
He's confusing ID with credit card. paying for things isn't his strong suit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

Siri please restart society on safe mode

Agent Smith was right

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has the USPS gotten slower as of late? Sent a package of sweets for my friend’s kids like two weeks ago and normally from Sweden to US it takes about 10 days.

I send things to the US maybe thrice a year so I can’t tell if it’s gotten shittier or customs is having a real one with candy for kids.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

teen witch posted:

Has the USPS gotten slower as of late? Sent a package of sweets for my friend’s kids like two weeks ago and normally from Sweden to US it takes about 10 days.

I send things to the US maybe thrice a year so I can’t tell if it’s gotten shittier or customs is having a real one with candy for kids.

Dip Viscous posted:

Last month my niece received the package full of candy that I mailed to her for Halloween 2020.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

teen witch posted:

I'm in Canada, an hour from the border, and it takes 2-10 weeks for the company I work for to receive cheques from our US customers by regular mail. I recall when I worked somewhere else around 2015 it was 5-10 days.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
with usps these days if you get the package at all i would consider that pretty lucky

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

Yes. One of the Republicans ongoing tasks is to destroy the US Postal Service. They made big gains during Trumps admin, and due to legal restrictions, not much has been done to undo the damage. So yes, the USPS is not doing well, but not because of them necessarily, but rather they are a constant target of Republican malfeasance.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So no improvements. But are they that bad that they’d steal candy for kids mourning a loss?

redshirt posted:

Yes. One of the Republicans ongoing tasks is to destroy the US Postal Service. They made big gains during Trumps admin, and due to legal restrictions, not much has been done to undo the damage. So yes, the USPS is not doing well, but not because of them necessarily, but rather they are a constant target of Republican malfeasance.

Whelp.

run on sentience posted:

I'm in Canada, an hour from the border, and it takes 2-10 weeks for the company I work for to receive cheques from our US customers by regular mail. I recall when I worked somewhere else around 2015 it was 5-10 days.

2-10 weeks?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Yeah I have to check the customer's account standing is good before I can do any work for them, so several times a week I have to ask our accounting to ask their accounting if they've sent payment, then I'm allowed to proceed if they give us payment details of what they sent, even though the actual cheque will still take weeks to get here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Relyssa posted:

You guys are paying for things?

Contactless payment is when you walk out with an item without talking to anyone

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

run on sentience posted:

Yeah I have to check the customer's account standing is good before I can do any work for them, so several times a week I have to ask our accounting to ask their accounting if they've sent payment, then I'm allowed to proceed if they give us payment details of what they sent, even though the actual cheque will still take weeks to get here.

We have this thing called electronic banking

We had a company send out two cheques, which were addressed wrong and sent back. Been waiting since December now. This week they say 'okay just email a void cheque and we'll transfer it that way'. Well why the gently caress didn't you do that in the first place? It can't take longer than dealing with a chequebook.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

teen witch posted:

So no improvements. But are they that bad that they’d steal candy for kids mourning a loss?

The US Postal Service is being deliberately hobbled. The postal service employees hate it. I read a news story about employees using their lunch breaks to sift through the backlog looking for critical parcels like prescription drug deliveries and moving them to the front of the queue.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

teen witch posted:

International shipping is a God drat joke. My wife and I have never had great luck shipping things abroad (which sucks because we do it a lot). It's not at all uncommon for parcels shipped to and from Japan to take 3-4 weeks to arrive, and we've had outliers that have been in transit nearly 2 months. No idea. It's worse after the height of the pandemic, but I've never exactly been impressed.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

A common mistake a lot of people do is press the card against the reader in a way that slightly bends it.

The card's antenna is around the periphery of the card, and that bending will damage it over time, which messes with the signal unpredictably.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Outrail posted:

We have this thing called electronic banking

We had a company send out two cheques, which were addressed wrong and sent back. Been waiting since December now. This week they say 'okay just email a void cheque and we'll transfer it that way'. Well why the gently caress didn't you do that in the first place? It can't take longer than dealing with a chequebook.

Many of our customers do EFT or wire transfer or whatever tracked express service USPS has, but a lot are too cheap to pay the fees.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Aramis posted:

A common mistake a lot of people do is press the card against the reader in a way that slightly bends it.

The card's antenna is around the periphery of the card, and that bending will damage it over time, which messes with the signal unpredictably.
Yeah, try holding your card up to a strong light. It might be see-through enough to see... 3? loops of wire around the edges.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

run on sentience posted:

Many of our customers do EFT or wire transfer or whatever tracked express service USPS has, but a lot are too cheap to pay the fees.

How much time and money is spent writing, balancing, dealing with and mailing cheques vs using an existing bank infrastructure to transfer money?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Outrail posted:

How much time and money is spent writing, balancing, dealing with and mailing cheques vs using an existing bank infrastructure to transfer money?

Do you think I'm the one personally telling them not to use electronic methods?? These are cheques for $5k minimum that they are saving maybe $5 in fees on, and yes they are absolutely wasting at least that much on what you mentioned.

042424_6
Apr 24, 2024

run on sentience posted:

yes they are absolutely wasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

every loving time