Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Tried IG 5-6 years ago I think, didn't like how mobile oriented it was so I stopped using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evobatman posted:

I bought a Sony TV and amplifier in 2011 that worked perfectly with digital broadcast TV and game consoles. There was sports on TV, the TV would change to Sport mode and the amplifier would switch to stadium mode - which wasn't ideal for chess, but it worked. There was a movie on TV, the TV switched to cinema settings and the amplifier switched to theatre sound. Turning on my PS3 and PS4 switched the TV and amp to game mode. Play something with Dolby sound, the amplifier switches to Dobly. Play something with DTS sound, amplifier switched to DTS. Everything worked with the TVs remote over HDMI CEC, and I could use it to control the TV, amplifier and game consoles. I would go on forums and laugh at the morons who thought CEC was bad and couldn't get it to work because my setup was so perfect.

Then in 2018 I decided to upgrade to 4K, and bought a Samsung TV and Onkyo amp. It's been hell since then trying to get everything to work together. Everything has to be unplugged 1-2 times per month just to reset so everything will talk to each other again over CEC. You have to tell the amp what every sound format is, so that it doesn't accidentally play an atmos track through a DTS decoder or a Dolby 5.1 track in stereo mode. When I turn on my PS5, I can play for a couple of minutes, and then my android box turns on and steals the input.

I was really excited for how my 2011 setup could possibly be better when I decided to upgrade, and this was the answer.

I watch TV (not really, youtube mainly) on my 24" monitor from 2007, for sound I have a 1980s amp and some scrap speakers that don't match, including one pretty large speaker from the 70s. I am pretty satisfied with it all things considered.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno if it got worse or was always poo poo, or if I am just an old man weirdo. But Reddits interface sucks, in a desktop browser anyway. Popups everywhere when your mouse cursor hovers over things and accidentally click somewhere and 99% chance it hits a link and goes somewhere you did not want.

Real bad for me who like to use my mouse to highlight text I read (force of habit, makes it easier to focus) so I often click all over pages. When I select text it also produces a popup. Accidentally clicked some whitespace and it hid a post and made everything jump, so jarring. Everything is too reactive on this site.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't use reddit enough to even know about old.reddit.com until you said it just now, will try it out.

e: Yeah this is a lot better, thanks!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

While I'm on a roll.... These chat/faq/contact widgets that pop up in corners. Hate the poo poo out of them. On some webpages they actually get in the way of actual links I wanna click.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Over here trash collection is a weird public private mix and attempts to make it more regulated is met by resistance by nearly all. I don't know why, I see 2-3 different trash companies collecting trash from our street, how can that be better than the municipality making a contract with one single company to handle an area. Everyone just says it'll become a monopoly, service will get worse, more expensive etc etc. Like they're all brainwashed into repeating republican talking points, but this is finland?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Comstar posted:

I used to have a pair of cheap ear pods to listen to music on my iPhone. They got lost so my partner bought me a new pair.

They don't work unless my phone is on my right side of my body and not in my pants pocket, where you might think you would put your phone.

Guess I'll have to buy the Apple $180 ones now.

Better to stop listening to music IMO

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

lol why even have one, there aren't any good TV shows or movies anymore anyway, I just enjoy old stuff now, old prog rock music, old video games, old movies that were shot on film with practical erfects. It's all easy to find as :filez: too

Yeah, this is the only way I watch anything anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

shazbot posted:

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

I saw someone do that last monday when shopping. I think the self checkouts there have the receipt thing, never tried them though. But I ran into it in another store when I had just one item and I threw the receipt away at once, had to fish it back out the bin to leave. Last time I use the self check out there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

The problem with self checkout is it's lovely. The bagging area is small, some of the times it has a weight sensor so if you can't fit poo poo on it it'll complain, the scanning is picky so you're spending time finding the bar code, if you use those price scan guns Stop and Shop has they might not be sufficiently charged. I'm on team really big vending machine.

I've honestly never had a problem with using the self checkout. I just don't like new things anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am a teacher.

We now have a Special Amazing App to give exams with. It is just like giving a normal exam except I now have to stand there like a doofus taking photos of every kid's work, and then I can squint at the photos in the app to try to determine if it is correct or not, and then enter in individual scores by typing in their answers for each question on the app. Repeat this about 250 times.

We now have a Special Amazing App to get observed with. Previously, an office parasite of some sort who holds meetings by reading off a poorly spelled power-point slide would come into your class and 'observe' (play with their phone) and then bring you into the office to spend 20 minutes telling you how lovely of a teacher you are because you didn't begin and end the lesson by reciting the Lesson Objectives to the children. Now I get observed and I have to log into the special Observation App to find out how bad of a teacher I am. In the past, an office parasite would come to your desk and tell you that you're going to be observed soon. Now you can just check the app every single day to find out!

Previously, kids would take home their test scores and have to get mom to sign it to show how little Pnurtis failed to learn multiplication. Now, with the app, mom gets the score in real-time so she can call her child DURING the class because she checked her very special app and found out that Pnurtis got question 4 wrong.

Previously, if I was calling out sick I would call the office and say "I'm sick" and they would arrange a substitute. Now, I can call out sick using the Special Amazing App and log into it where it then needs to get approval from 3 different office parasites before the request passes through and triggers the Substitute Finding Task. Usually one of them misses it (because the app sucks) and the kids will be sitting in a room with no adult until they go all Lord of the Flies and then the school wildly panics trying to get a sub.

Previously I'd take attendance by looking around and seeing who was missing, then I'd notify the office if anyone was gone. Now, I can use the Attendance App and click each individual student by name to mark them as Present. The attendance app requires that I do this every 35 minutes even if my classroom door is closed the entire time and no one goes anywhere. The attendance app will lock you out if you don't do this within the first 5 minutes of each 35 minute class and then send the data to the office to show that I am a Bad Teacher. Every week we get an email showing who is the Worst Teacher by ranking them on how many times they missed the Attendance Window.

By the way, all of these are different apps that each require their own login, and will often log you out inexplicably and then demand to text you with a special code to log back in, sometimes the code even arrives.

An old lady who used to work at the local health care center told me that D.A.T.A. meant "Dubbelt Arbete Till Alla" which translated to english doesn't work, but means roughly "double the work for everyone".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Driving in Finland without high beams outside lighted up areas in winter wouldn't be fun, and there are alot of those areas here and in the other nordic countries too, the main road for commuting here is not illuminated except when it runs through a village, most of it is forest and fields.

At this time of year it's full night darkness in the morning when you leave home, and daylight has come and gone again while you were at work. So yeah high beams are important here. Now that we have snow and cold they are a little less important actually, it's that early winter period when things are pitch black, but there's no snow and everything is wet that's the absolute worst kind of darkness to drive in. It's everything being wet that's the worst, everything is dark and reflective, the road in particular...

How & when to use high beams in traffic is part of drivers ed as well because it's so important to driving here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

the best is when some sites no long allow for just buying stuff as a anonymous guest, have to make a account.

Huh, that's actually something I would say wasn't really possible before, you had to register an account to order anything on the web, guest checkout is something that started coming in 2015 maybe I started to notice it the first time. Our own website didn't start allowing guest checkout until 2021, granted we're pretty old fashioned and don't bother keeping up with trends.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This has been happening for years by now. But surely not just me?

1. I click on a search result on google.
2. I get redirected from the page I wanted to read to a localized site.
3. To the start page of the local site, not the page I was interested in.
4. Rage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

skooma512 posted:

It's for people who live in a place where winter is serious business.

Not that I necessarily agree that they should do this but that is the use case.

As someone who lives where winter is serious business I am constantly weirded out by this practice and that it's still happening in 2023.

It's bad for the car, it's bad for the environment and your health. In the nordic countries it's been common since the 80s to have block heaters on cars, often combined with cabin heaters, basically standard equipment on cars here until recently when they have started getting replaced with webastos instead (small dedicated gas or diesel heater).

It can be -20 outside and I'll get into my car which has been warming for 2 hours before (it's on a scheduled timer) and the engine is heated up and the interior is warm and windows are frost free. Most places of employment offer places to plug in these too at the parking lot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

Peoples show manners wouldn't be a problem if you didn't leave the house. For fucks sake.

This has always worked fine for me?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Denim Dude posted:

I tried proton mail once and every email i sent to someones gmail account ended up in their spam folder. Not sure what was up with that but it was a deal breaker.

If the system wasn't corrupt it'd be grounds for an antitrust lawsuit and the subsequent breakup of google into smaller corporations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've never used a vpn and I haven't been arrested yet

I attribute this to not living in the US

Was in the news in Finland of people who had torrented stuff got sent claims for like 500€ from law firms. It was left unclear as to how legal it was and the people caught were fighting it. But I'd rather not deal with it. I use Mullvad now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Discord's UI 'updates' have almost been universally awful. Twice they've tried to change the way chat is organized by just adding a ton more white space.

Web design has just ruined everyone's brains it seems. I'm anxiously awaiting a swing back toward 'what if we actually made this functional' instead of where we are now: "Maximum Whitespace. More Whitespace. Can you add some more clicks to this process by chance? HAMBURGER MENUS EVERYWHERE"

Feels like this is how the people who develop our order handling system think too, I've told them in feedback to stop making things require more clicks, less clicks! Make more things available next to each other than hiding them in menus and new dialog windows. And make it more usable with keyboards and not so mouse dependent.

I am reminded of that video I can't find on youtube where some expert compared a modern order handling system with one made in the late 80s or early 90s that was keyboard only and just how much better designed and fast the old system was.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

euphronius posted:

I didn’t know euros do not do the once weekly grocery run for all your food for the week. That explains some differences

Plenty common here?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So what's stopping someone younger from learning COBOL and cashing in?

I guess it's not exactly being taught anywhere anymore and being self-taught isn't gonna cut it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dr.Smasher posted:

Someone here doesn't live in the upper Midwest or Northeastern parts of the US

I live where it's just as cold and remote starting is like the laziest cheapest hackiest solution, bad for the car and environment. I can't believe people live where it's cold like that and haven't developed something better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

teen witch posted:

I’m hoping the argument about e-waste does turn the tide towards companies pulling this hyper obsolescence via app bullshit. It’s easier to buy less poo poo when the current poo poo isn’t outdated or rendered to barely useable due to apps. Also who needs a loving app for everything, outside of genuine accessibility needs (which is ANOTHER reason why instant obsolescence is hosed).

Like I totally do not expect my current phone to work when iOS 69 or whatever but I would like it to work as long as physically possible, not as long as Apple shitcans basic functionality.

This reminds of that guy who had neural implants in his brain, iirc he was blind and they gave him a kind of vision. But the company went bust and he was left without support or maintenance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If by modern you mean electric I agree. But if it's a gas or diesel then starting the engine when it's very cold is an issue even on the most modern cars, both from causing excessive wear and environmental perspectives of the engine running cold. Where I live it's even against the law to let the car idle too long.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

I think most people in cold places use some kind of engine heating block

Yeah I know I live in one of these places. Except it seems in america they don't, instead they just turn on their cars and let them idle until warm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's bad for an engine to start when it's cold, cold as in below freezing, the colder the worse.

Puts extra wear on it. Oil that is cold does not flow as well so the engine is not as well lubricated when it starts up cold. Also things shrink when cold and an engine is a close tolerance machine, that will lead to faster engine wear.

Idling the car after starting it cold. Don't know it's worse than driving off right away or not, depends on your driving style.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Are webastos uncommon in the US or something? They are like the perfect solution here. A block heater with interior cabin heater works just as well, but that means you have to plug in your car and use a timer, which might be too inconvenient. With a webasto you just use a remote or an app.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just get in my warm heated car every morning without even having had to start the car. But sure keep on doing it the dumbest way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

bradzilla posted:

This. Advertising isn't just the overt commercials you see/hear, it's loving EVERYWHERE. Logos are plastered on literally everything for a reason.

Big reason I like to live where there's more trees than people. God damnit it's awful when ads are everywhere you look.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Outrail posted:

No.

Someone, somewhere decided that all customers are not valued customers to be valued and nurtured, and instead are simple resources to be exploited. The second that happe ed everyone else did to and we rapidly stated going downhill.

I think its ultimately the issue of optimization and number going up, once that starts dehumanization is inevitable.

I've had this rough idea rolling about in my head for maybe a decade. About optimization that is. I think things are becoming so drat optimized that it's sucking the life out of everything. Or something to that effect. Can't really put my finger on it. But I've come to think a little of inefficiency maybe is good for society and life in general.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got my kids their first PCs, came with Windows 11 and I've been helping them set them up and trying to install some games and christ Windows 11 sucks, really exudes that late stage capitalist dystopian feel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

I miss Windows 7, used that right up until MS stopped supporting it. Absolutely nothing that's come in the later versions has improved my computing experience at all.

Windows 7 was really good, though I did like XP a lot. Agree that nothing since Win7 has been any sort of improvement at all.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

redshirt posted:

When you can't figure something out with an Apple product, assume it's your fault. Cuz Apple "just works".

For a given definition of works.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Peter Falk posted:

This thread is getting shitter because all you computer touchers can’t stop complaining about the dumbest poo poo in the world (software. It’s all bad).

Tools are way shittier these days. Hand tools, power tools, doesn’t matter. They’re all plastic junk with pot metal. I’ve started buying used hand tools from estate sales and old guys on Craigslist because they’re better than new in box.

Yeah I'm ahead of you there too. Been buying most of my tools 2nd hand for ages because it's cheaper and the quality is superior. My oldest tool is probably my handplane from 1899.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We got a Soda Stream for christmas. I read up on it because I wanted to see about refilling them, then I read an article from a soda stream user that says the units last on average 2 years before breaking. That sounds like utter poo poo to me? I know my aunt has a soda stream from the 1970s that still works. That also takes glass bottles.

I mean I can see why that's bad to make a product like that though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Armacham posted:

Soda stream is Israeli so that's enough for me to boycott them anyway.

Aww gently caress didn't know that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mahatma-Squid posted:

The new ones are so poorly made we've had two break themselves just pressing the lever against the pressure in the bottle. The little CO2 cylinders are so expensive compared to even small cylinders for home brewing, so that's what I use instead now.

I'm gonna have to look into this. Already looking into ways to refill the cartridges myself, so at least I don't give more money to Sodastream. I have a big CO2 bottle for welding but apparently this works on liquid co2 and needs a siphon tube. Looks like an extinguisher can do as a cheaper CO2 source.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

teen witch posted:

AGA has cartridges but the issue is for here is when you get the discounted refills from the supermarket, they’re SodaStream branded. Which is bonkers because AGA was Swedish owned, now German, why the gently caress are we not using those for refills instead?

I do wonder if it’s particular to where I get them refilled and my local ICA is just going with what may be easier, because I know I’ve gotten AGA refills in the past.

Anyhow, there are alternatives that are food safe, just gotta look for em. Coincidentally SodaStream is how I learned about BDS initially.

I found there are bottles of another brand called Wassermaxx for sale locally, which are sodastream compatible and a refill of those is 4.90€ which feel pretty acceptable, though I bet if I calculated the price / kg compared to my 6kg welding gas bottle it'd be more expensive.

But at least then I won't be giving more money to Sodastream.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And speaking of enshittification, having to use an app to park. I just got reminded of that because I got an SMS from EasyPark saying they've had a data intrusion and my personal information got stolen.

It suure is a sensible and good idea to have to use a loving app to park your car. It makes me long for cash back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah webp is terrible and it takes extra steps to ensure you don’t download files with it

How do you mean, you can download some malware by watching a webp?