Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://twitter.com/rudyIopez/status/1680419022897045506

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

You Are A Elf posted:

Out of all the stores I shop at with self-checkout lanes, Fry’s (Kroger in AZ) has the assholiest and most frustrating checkout lanes imaginable. This is the only store out of all of them that seems to have a weight detector in the bagging area, so if the thing you just scanned isn’t put in the bag in 1/1,000,000,000th of a second, it actually yells at you condescendingly, “PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!!!!

Like holy loving poo poo, I just scanned this thing and couldn’t have been quicker to toss it in the bag, and the machine still yells at me with an uncalled for smugness. And you can’t do a loving thing until it detects the item is in the bagging area, which is almost never and an associate has to come over and get involved and UGH.

I’m told most, if not all stores have the weight detector in the bagging area of self-checkout lanes for anti-theft purposes, but most stores decide to disable it because if you already scanned the item, you’re obviously gonna pay for it so where’s the theft? Fry’s is the only store that has it enabled and it sucks poo poo.

I think the point is more to detect if extra stuff is bagged without being scanned which it can’t do unless you actually bag everything you scan, but yes it’s all dumb as hell.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Gawr Gooner posted:

What's the deal with GMail no longer letting me search for explicit keywords and always fuzzy searching related terms?? Am I just dumb and don't know how to do it?

Yeah, I hate searching for, say, United airlines ticket and it turning every email with United center in the body, every other airline email too, etc. You have to wrap your search term in quotes for exact marches.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I just noticed Lyft serving up ads in their app

And it pops the drawer with the ad back up every single time you swap away and back to the app. Quick google suggests they just added it a week or so ago.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Noobles posted:

You just reminded me about a similar experience I had at Target. I had a slow leak in a tire and went to buy a portable air compressor from them, looked it up online and they had one in stock. I got there and it was like $9 more expensive than what was listed. The lower price was only for online orders, or if you order online for in-store pickup.

So if I ordered it an hour ago and made some associate spend their time walking over, grabbing it and then bring it back to the front counter so I could pick it up and pay for it, I could have saved $9. Instead I paid $9 extra for going into the store and taking it off the shelf myself. I just don’t understand.

They’re “driving engagement” in their lovely app, and getting a lot more tracking data out of you. Same reason for an “app only” menu at Taco Bell, and I presume other restaurants.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

That poo poo drives me absolutely up the wall. Just stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk or airport or whatever to look around and figure it what they’re doing instead of stepping to the side.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Maybe some lovely champers

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My prime subscription was already on thin as gently caress ice. This is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Literally had that some convo with my wife today. We barely order from Amazon anymore as it is.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Outrail posted:

I prompted 'Write an award winning novel' and dumped out a paragraph so mediocre I think the program developed sentience and did it on purpose.

There's never enough popcorn or liquorice jelly belly beans. Even if you get them from the bulk aisle.

I mean, did you specify which award you wanted to win?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Guessing it’s fire risk related

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

A Strange Aeon posted:

I did hear that if you want iot appliances, it's probably smart to keep them all on a separate wifi network because there isn't much focus on security for your toaster.

The “S” in IOT stands for security

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

mawarannahr posted:

Google Search is utterly worthless and idk what's better (don't say bbg it's just bing. yandex has similar issues). it's always searching for some poo poo i never typed. Whether it's some computer poo poo like how something works on zsh it will return things about bash (with bash bolded as though it were my keyword), or bringing up accident statistics when I search "percent of motorcyclists who have multiple motorcycles," which I found the other week just fine.

Nobody wants to make a search engine anymore.

I’ve been trying out Kagi for a bit, seems fine.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

mawarannahr posted:

do you have a coupon code or something I could use? would be appreciated.

btw here's some JavaScript to put in a bookmarklet or Userscript to jump to a recipe

javascript:( function() {
const selectedRecipe = document.querySelector([
'.recipe-callout',
'.tasty-recipes',
'.easyrecipe',
'.innerrecipe',
'.recipe-summary.wide',
'.wprm-recipe-container',
'.recipe-content',
'.simple-recipe-pro',
'.mv-recipe-card',
'.recipe',
'div[itemtype="http://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'div[itemtype="https://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'[attribute*="container-recipe"]',
'.wprm-recipe',
'.wprm-recipe-simple',
'.cookbook-recipe',
'.food-card',
'.recipebody',
'#wpurp-container-recipe-10155',
'.recipe_card'
].join(", "));
if (selectedRecipe) {
console.log(selectedRecipe.tagName);
selectedRecipe.scrollIntoView();
}
}(); )

you can click/run this on a page manually or just put it in a global userscript if you don't care about a minuscule processing time so that whenever you surf to a recipe page it jumps to the place automatically.

You get 100 free searches initially to try it out. I just signed up for the $5/month plan that gives 300 searches and I’ve used 95 of them since 10/22 so I’ll probably wind up with the $10 unlimited plan.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

wash bucket posted:

Yo, guess what doesn't loving work in MS Office...

They do have some sort of stupid option where after you paste you can hit ctrl to bring up a context menu and then you can hit (I think) T to convert it back to plain text. But like you said, ctrl+shift+v was already the solution there.

Yeah, I hate how the whole office suite, including outlook, ignores this shortcut.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how ecommerce sites don't list what I bought in the emails they sent me. Hey fuckwits I might want to reference that information later. Also stop emailing me so drat much. Just one, if I pay with paypal I want 2, one from paypal, one from you. I want to know my order went through, and the tracking. What I don't want is one email to tell me I ordered, one for it being shipped, one for it being delivered, one for your lovely newsletter that I did not intend to sign up for, one to review the product, another to review the product. Sometimes I even get the review email before I get the item. So even if you do tell me what items I bought, it's buried in many emails that do not.

I heard Amazon at least quit putting order info in the email to shop gmail from harvesting it

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

re: self checkout chart from a while ago https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/13/business/self-checkout-stores-shopping/index.html

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I live in a United hub and fly regularly so their $99/yr card is a no brainer for the free lounge passes and a handful of other perks. I literally only use it to book flights I would otherwise, but I guess it gets made up for in other places.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

lol CNN. I’ve been in Colombia for a week and haven’t seen a message like this yet but I’m on my iphone using private relay, with 1Blocker installed so I feel better about my privacy than whatever BS CNN has in mind.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Taeke posted:

My cheap smart tv used to be pretty simpel and easy to use, if a bit slow with the inputs. If I pressed the home button on the remote it'd bring up a bar on the bottom of the screen where I could easily and quickly select the app (youtube and all the streaming poo poo) I wanted.

Since the last update it instead brings up an entire full screen OS that takes seconds to load that's busy as gently caress with all the recommendations and ugly poo poo.

I just wanna be able to quickly switch from netflix to disney+ to HBO to prime goddamnit.

Time to pony up the cash for an Apple TV

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

skooma512 posted:

So I can manipulate them from home for figgies while I play Railroad Tycoon 3.

If we elect Biden he'll get rid of the guy who sabotaged mail for the expressed purpose of interfering with mail in ballots.

Yeah, it’s wild that this guy is still around.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I went through this with my mother-in-law earlier this week. They have some lovely HP printer that randomly decided to stop working with her Mac. Fast forward 90 minutes and I've had to factory reset the thing and oh look, it refuses to print unless it's registered to their lovely software. Which, of course, the registration fails over and over. Endless search results of people saying the same thing over the years, no particular resolution. Manually setting the DNS on the printer to a public server instead of the equally lovely comcast modem fixed it, or at least the issue coincidentally resolved at the same time. Who knows?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

GABA ghoul posted:

Baffling how a piece of software designed to hallucinate information could ever hallucinate information. Someone should look into that

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/01/rhyming-ai-powered-clock-sometimes-lies-about-the-time-makes-up-words/

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

I keep My Apple Watch in a drawer and only use it to find my phone. It’s such garbage. Why do the settings constantly reset ? Why do the watch faces constantly reset ? Why does a watch have to update its firmware ever month ?

God I hate it

Are you sure it’s not your ability to interact at even a basic level with technology that got shittier?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Maybe it’s empty but someone else could have used the same slot you didn’t show for

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

DrBouvenstein posted:

Even if I'm not seeing ads, too many websites now have un-removeable/minimizabe banners.

I got real stuck on the new Prince of Persia so looked up where to go next, and this is how little info is actually on the screen at once:

Three. loving. Sentences. It's worth if there's a screenshot because it won't even fit a whole image on my screen:

I know I'm using a small laptop with a high resolution (13" screen, 1920x1080, and at 150% scaling because otherwise it's hard to read text) but even when I switched it back to just 100% scaling, it's not much better, because it's basically two sentences between each screenshot:

I use the element picker in ublock to zap those

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate when sites have a static menu bar that literally takes up 1/3th of my screen. I have no idea who the gently caress started doing that but jesus christ I can't do it.

Ublock origin makes short work of those with the element picker tool.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/what-i-do-to-clean-up-a-clean-install-of-windows-11-23h2-and-edge/

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I’m gonna ask the evergreen question - why are you using a VPN (like nord or proton)? If the answer isn’t bypassing geo blocks for Netflix or maybe torrent stuff, you’re probably doing it wrong.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Convex posted:

I always wonder how they kept the carpets so clean, you never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaner.

They transport the dirt out

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Look at the date

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

big mean giraffe posted:

I started copying recipes to text files and saving them on Dropbox instead of bookmarking them, easier to fix them too since 90% of recipes call for 1/2 teaspoon of stuff like pepper and salt which is insane

I use paprika on is (I think it’s a goon project) that automatically scrapes the recipes from websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

franco posted:

I've used it forever but this is the first I've heard of goon involvement?

I’m not positive, just vaguely recall reading that in some thread. Probably the iPhone or iPad one.