Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My car is shaped like an apple. It has no stereo or muffler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Google Search is utterly worthless and idk what's better (don't say bbg it's just bing. yandex has similar issues). it's always searching for some poo poo i never typed. Whether it's some computer poo poo like how something works on zsh it will return things about bash (with bash bolded as though it were my keyword), or bringing up accident statistics when I search "percent of motorcyclists who have multiple motorcycles," which I found the other week just fine.

Nobody wants to make a search engine anymore.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Dip Viscous posted:

Grunting intelligently while writing ROAD APPLES in my notepad

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

naem posted:

does anyone make actual blue jeans anymore?

I bought some lucky brand and they look nice but are def not going to last forever and they are stretchy

I've just been thru a whole jeans Thing and it's been such a pain in my rear end.

I had a pair of Lucky jeans I liked and so I bought a couple of the same model number in the same size and they were poo poo. They were big as hell and stretchier then sweat pants and the reason is apparently because I bought them from Nordstrom rack instead of the Lucky store.

I just recently lost a little bit of weight and so I had to try to buy new pants again and this time I went to a Levi's store- I had the same issue with Costco Levi's in the past, stretchy as hell and fit like dog poo poo. The ones at the Levi's store were exactly the way they're supposed to be, they fit exactly right, there's no stretch and they're regular rear end jeans.

Anyway the man at the Levi's store told me that you can only get the good jeans at a dedicated shop and anything you buy at a Costco or a Macy's or whatever is subpar by design. My guess is that Lucky works the same way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Big chains lean on suppliers to lower prices and the easiest way to do that is to make a separate product that is shittier for the people who want cheap stuff.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jeans sucking is just punishment for not buying sweatpants. What's that? Sweatpants also suck and now have jogger cuffs/cuts and are made stretchy instead of just being relaxed and 100% cotton? Oh well what are microplastics anyway?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 1, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

bradzilla posted:

The only recent car safety feature that's actually worth a poo poo is the rear camera and possibly blind spot monitor. All the other features are just annoying and never work when they're actually supposed to.

They're there because cars have lost their outward visibility to swoopy fast rooflines to scrape 0.05 mpg when they could instead save 5+ mpg by making an actual car and not a fake SUV.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Am I crazy or did they just add another useless button to the Youtube side bar?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SO DEMANDING posted:

Clothing quality in general has been on a downward trend for a while, but it has absolutely nosedived in the past 3 years or so. Lots of really lovely synthetic blends or full synthetic fabrics, and everything is so much thinner. It really stood out to me when I went to a Nordstrom Rack recently, it was piles of awful plasticy shirts and pants. Yes it's a clearance/discount store that isn't going to be top quality to begin with, yes synthetics are not always inherently bad, but this was just egregiously awful stuff. The difference in merchandise compared to only a few years ago was stark.

I'm finding myself moving towards niche/boutique brands and even made to measure stuff, and it's a real pain in the rear end.

I bought a.Big Dog hoodie this year and it's soft and thick and comfortable and wonderful

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
They've started skimping on the honey coating on my honey puff breakfast cereal. I ate it because of the honey.

Fuckers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This thread got shittier because I mentioned cars when I meant to say CAR BUYING and I’m really sorry please stop

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Professor Shark posted:

This thread got shittier because I mentioned cars when I meant to say CAR BUYING and I’m really sorry please stop

Car buying has been terrible from the start and can't get any worse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

anonumos posted:

Car buying has been terrible from the start and can't get any worse.

Please. You can buy a car online now. It used to be this excruciating process dealing with this slimy car sales guy and you had no info other than his word.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

redshirt posted:

Please. You can buy a car online now. It used to be this excruciating process dealing with this slimy car sales guy and you had no info other than his word.

I haven't bought online so I imagined eventually you still had to wade through upsells and dealer fees regardless.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

My parents got a new car for the first time in their lives in early 2020 and they hate all of those things because it feels like rather than being safer it encourages complacency. Driving it a few times, I feel the same. Also the touch screen that controls everything reliably breaks every time the temp dips below -30C.

I have driven many new cars and the safety stuff is all garbage and detrimental and unsafe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Dip Viscous posted:

Has busytown gotten worse? I feel like busytown is eternal and timeless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I suppose if maybe you have a stroke while driving the car may stop a bad collision

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

anonumos posted:

I haven't bought online so I imagined eventually you still had to wade through upsells and dealer fees regardless.

I've not done it, but I'd rather take that process where I don't have some dipshit hardselling me on stuff and he's deliberately making it difficult to focus and think and can say things I won't have evidence to be able to hold him accountable for later.

Once you do have an option to do this online, the process is going to get worse in person as they get more desperate.

I'm probably going to buy my next car through carmax unless anyone has experiences they want to share against that idea

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

mawarannahr posted:

Google Search is utterly worthless and idk what's better (don't say bbg it's just bing. yandex has similar issues). it's always searching for some poo poo i never typed. Whether it's some computer poo poo like how something works on zsh it will return things about bash (with bash bolded as though it were my keyword), or bringing up accident statistics when I search "percent of motorcyclists who have multiple motorcycles," which I found the other week just fine.

I’ve been trying out Kagi for a bit, seems fine.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mawarannahr posted:

:wrong:

I've been using kagi for the last month and it's like 2002 again (good)

It's even got a search filter for recipes that aren't 1000000000000000 lines of text

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

gently caress yeah, Lowly Worm forever.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

DrPossum posted:

I've not done it, but I'd rather take that process where I don't have some dipshit hardselling me on stuff and he's deliberately making it difficult to focus and think and can say things I won't have evidence to be able to hold him accountable for later.

Once you do have an option to do this online, the process is going to get worse in person as they get more desperate.

I'm probably going to buy my next car through carmax unless anyone has experiences they want to share against that idea
It's not totally online, but if you have a Costco membership I used their auto buying program, they give you a price and the dealer has to stick with it no matter what or they get blackballed from Costco and penalized.

Sure you could save $500 or even $2000 by aggressively haggling and playing dealers against each other but I just wanted to walk in and pay and go and I did.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

euphronius posted:

I have driven many new cars and the safety stuff is all garbage and detrimental and unsafe

Yeah I'd rather be thrown clear

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Armacham posted:

Physical safety harnesses and semi-autonomous electronic controls/aids are not comparable in any meaningful sense

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I get thrown clear from the car I roll myself into a little ball. When I see the ground below, I unfurl and gently land on my feet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Armacham posted:

Ive tried to swerve out of the way of debris on the road and the car has fought me tooth an nail. Its stupid.

If you put your blinker on tho you can go ham.

I turn all that poo poo off instantly now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tarkus posted:

When I get thrown clear from the car I roll myself into a little ball. When I see the ground below, I unfurl and gently land on my feet.

Same, then I usually draw my katana and prepare to behead the other party.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

Why don’t electric cars come with ejector seats, this is bullshit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to turn it all off if you drive through a construction zone anyway so just get it out of the way.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

You have to turn it all off if you drive through a construction zone anyway so just get it out of the way.

Never had this issue with my rav 4. Sorry your car sucks lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tarkus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37L0aIuZKio

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

Physical safety harnesses and semi-autonomous electronic controls/aids are not comparable in any meaningful sense

Agreed, people that refuse to wear their seatbelt make emotional arguments that fly in the face of data before choosing to endanger themselves, whereas people that refuse to use modern driver assist features make emotional arguments that fly in the face of data before choosing to endanger themselves and everyone else on the road with them.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

It's not totally online, but if you have a Costco membership I used their auto buying program, they give you a price and the dealer has to stick with it no matter what or they get blackballed from Costco and penalized.

Sure you could save $500 or even $2000 by aggressively haggling and playing dealers against each other but I just wanted to walk in and pay and go and I did.

I have had to tell multiple car dealers that I’m leaving if they keep wasting my time with anything but questions from my bank or the DMV. I said I’d buy it go do my loving paperwork.

They exist in some other world.

naem
May 29, 2011

Internet Old One posted:

I have had to tell multiple car dealers that I’m leaving if they keep wasting my time with anything but questions from my bank or the DMV. I said I’d buy it go do my loving paperwork.

They exist in some other world.

I bought a car for cash after watching the price drop on some random website, cargurus.com

then I went in and said hello I’d like to buy this car for this price please and they said ok

then they made me sit around for an hour and a half for no reason whatsoever until three different guys came to say “ok I’ll go get the sales manager” who was a weird a-hole to me again for no reason

they made zero extra dollars making me sit and no one else was in the dealership

“may I hand you money for a car now?” ok sign here boom done

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DrPossum posted:

:wrong:

I've been using kagi for the last month and it's like 2002 again (good)

It's even got a search filter for recipes that aren't 1000000000000000 lines of text

If you have to pay for a real search engine that is just further proof of the advance of enshittification and the retreat of the consumer society upmarket. Poorer people are ceasing to be consumers and being turned into surplus population.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cerekk posted:

Sorry about your old lovely car, try not to kill anyone while you operate it without the benefit of sensors that can see beyond the limits of human perception and control systems that can react a million timea faster than a person.

"Sensors" don't exist. Cameras, LIDAR and other systems do and are also limited in specific ways and mot a replacement for actually paying attention.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

Never had this issue with my rav 4. Sorry your car sucks lol

I have a rav4 and it loves to scream at me and slam on the brakes if there's a steel construction plate or some paint splashed in the lane. Actual obstructions like a mattress? Not so much. The lane drift warning is beyond obnoxious and has never done anything remotely helpful ever

Blind spot indicators and adaptive cruise are nice though

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have a rav4 and it loves to scream at me and slam on the brakes if there's a steel construction plate or some paint splashed in the lane.

This is definitely a skill issue, never had this happen once

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cerekk posted:

Agreed, people that refuse to wear their seatbelt make emotional arguments that fly in the face of data before choosing to endanger themselves, whereas people that refuse to use modern driver assist features make emotional arguments that fly in the face of data before choosing to endanger themselves and everyone else on the road with them.

Do they actually make people statistically safer or are you just assuming they do? Current data shows "self driving" systems like in teslas are significantly more dangerous than human drivers. No idea on the effects of the other driver assistance options are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Sensors" don't exist. Cameras, LIDAR and other systems do and are also limited in specific ways and mot a replacement for actually paying attention.

I ask my F150 if the schoolbus in front of me has any signs of life on board. It says nothing so I accelerate hard.