Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Avenza sucks rear end and I can't believe no one can design a usable GPS/GIS app.

Like the functionality is largely okay, but holy gently caress why are all your UIs so bad? I'll happily pay for a pro version but not if the free version is so poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bossy lady posted:

I feel like the average dog owner has gotten worse since the pandemic.

I was going to say as dogs get smaller the owners get shittier, but the larger dog owners are shittier too. Maybe people just suck more.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PhazonLink posted:

imo we should force NIST to define what a small, medium, or large is. or some other metrics like food volume, mass, or calorie / dollar

(oh and also finally switch to metric)

A grande is the size of five small handfuls.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Windows 98 posted:

what the gently caress?

:lmao:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

euphronius posted:

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

:same:

Why not just keep things simple?

Same thing with Skype. Skype was great. Simple, straightforward. Better buy it out and torpedo it asap.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I use Google maps regularly for work to navigate to GPS coordinates around town. Google maps loving sucks navigating to GPS coordinates. It knows the coordinates, but the second Google maps has to recalibrate, or re-route due to traffic it will set the driving destination as the center of the nearest town. In some cases using it to navigate around the Port of Long Beach it will try to drive me out to sea.

Why are people and software so terrible at using GPS coordinates? Like yeah lat and long decimal degrees sucks but it's two numbers. You don't even need to understand how it even works beyond 'two magic numbers that tell you exactly where you are on the planet'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dip Viscous posted:

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

If you're not registering your fingerprint as ShrekLust42069 I don't know what to tell you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do they think people are getting cups of coffee and taking them home or something?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sentient Data posted:

Start looking for a new job asap. No joke, coffee machine stock issues is high up on the list of red flags that a tech company is about to die

Literally any company.

Talk of layoffs: Eh, maybe dust off the resume.
No more coffee: All hands abandon ship.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sebmojo posted:

I agree but can't stop watching them

:same: if I wanted to lose blocks of time with no meaning I'd do salvia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Tourists will stop turning up, and they'll blame wokism or Barbie or China or literally anything but their refusal to understand cause and effect

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MoonshineWilly posted:

While we’re complaining about clothes, can jeans companies please stop putting flexible fabric in the jeans so that after a few washes the jeans have shrunken an inch? I understand that I’m buying cheapo jeans at Walmart, but if I wanted a size 32 instead of a 34, I would have bought the 32s. At least I can chuckle to myself about being too fat for fat jeans.
\

This

also, why are clothes shrinking in general? All my poo poo doesn't fit and I'm certain it isn't anything to do with my expanding waistline.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Moon Monster posted:

The Captain Vimes boot theory of economics is broken because even expensive boots fall to pieces in a few months now.

Truly we have entered a dark age of capitalism

It was always dark, but it's like darker now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sebmojo posted:

Google mail is a gigantic piece of poo poo and I can't find anything on it. Like, I know this person sent me an email, show me the emails they sent me in date order, motherfuckers you are a trillion dollar corporation this should not be hard

Also if I change which folder it needs to be in don't close the email I wasn't done with it yet and now I can't find it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

teen witch posted:

Holy poo poo I despise new headlights. I feel like blinding other motorists is not conductive to driving safety??? And yet???

Maybe if you can’t see with regular loving brights on you shouldn’t be driving

I killed a grizzly cub a year ago because the upcoming dickhead put up their brights and I didn't see it until it was going under.

I get high beamed so often it's just something that happens and I didn't think much of it. If they'd flicked the lights a few times or put on hazards or even just done nothing at all it'd probably have been fine. Instead I killed a giant teddy bear in front of its mom and sibling. Awesome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Proposal
- Blinding LED headlights are illegal
- fine is $1,000
- Can avoid fine by paying for $2,000 test (refundable if a pass result, vehicle not released until lights are changed)
- Cops go nuts raising funds by doing something useful
- shitheads with dangerous headlights are punished and hopefully fix their stupid lights
-accidents avoided

Reality
-testing system is deliberately broken to always fail tests
-cops go nuts stealing money from minorities while shitheads with dangerous headlights continue to cause accidents

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

naem posted:

years ago at my first type-numbers-into-a-spreadsheet job, we used a piece of software that takes numbers and turns them into useful things like making payments etc.

most similar software subscriptions focus on the people that use them (the people entering the beans) and have a simple user portal that is somewhat automated, including this one

they changed, and decided to focus on the backend (the people counting the beans afterward).

it went from what looked like an excel spreadsheet that populated with data and you selected one or two things and were done, to, a nightmare of brightly colored squares and rectangles that would change size and float around when you mouse past them:

for reference, only much worse looking. Each little box would have buttons you could press, and also words might or might not be links when you clicked. It looked like a bad html website.

ALSO there was the word “edit” where you could customize each box, and sometimes clicking “edit” did something, sometimes not. Sometimes “edit” became a pencil you clicked on when you hover over it, and sometimes you hover over the pencil and the word “edit” would pop into existence in another corner of the box only to vanish when you move your cursor off the pencil. So you had to remember to go click the invisible “edit” pencil.

It was a master class in bad user interface design. And it wasn’t consistent, it would change regularly so don’t bother remembering what worked last time. As a failed artist and over educated graphic design major it particularly bothered me.

they also DELIBERATELY made it really easy to make a particular mistake, and charged money for an online class to figure out how to fix it, and the class was a 5 minute video where the voice guy couldn’t help but laugh as he described “select this hidden button over here you could never find without paying for this video”

that company then started offering a paid service to replace in house Bean Enter-ers, knowing that a lot of their users had made mistakes with the changes they made.

we started getting a lot of ads like “Hey bean counters! Are you noticing that your bean enter-ers are messing up a lot? Look at our automated service that blah blah money something.”

They even sent some sales people to stop by unprompted at the tiny nonprofit to offer to replace what would have been several people including my then boss (who’d hired me to be the fall guy in their place if needed) and gave the sales pitch TO the person they’d be replacing

:capitalism:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Still waiting for Harry Potter... In spaaaaace.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There's a special place in hell for people who take a cart full of groceries thru the self checkout.

Hell really went to poo poo when they started just letting anyone in .

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You should feel bad for not shoplifting ebough

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ikanreed posted:

The "environmentally friendly" paper straws restaurants use are lined with so much plastic to keep them from getting soggy, I bet they actually increase the amount of plastic being dumped into the environment.

That's not wax? Seriously?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ikanreed posted:

It used to be wax. It doesn't have the texture of wax in the one I just used

Can we use them as candles?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Quickbooks sucks balls.

There. I said it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

anonumos posted:

I'll go one farther: Quickbooks always sucked.

:eyepop:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

steinrokkan posted:

They still should be tarred and feathered

Cluck cluck

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Laserface posted:

The hentai car thing is a legit Japanese sub culture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha

The cringe is the point.

quote:

Automotive consumables such as motor oil have also been customized. On 20 June 2009, T&E, a tuning shop, began to sell scented semi-synthetic motor oil under the Itayu brand,[24] with the first product being a Lucky Star-themed motor oil, unveiled at the 48th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2009.[25][26]

:psyduck:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The weather. Seems like everything is either on fire or under water or blowing away. Stop loving with the controls already.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's 2023 nobody cares if you read hentai on the bus

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Professor Shark posted:

Also I got a yt ad for some scam my project funded by Elon Musk and Bill Gates where Canadians invest $250 and get regular cheques for $1000. It’s a pyramid scheme or something. But no way to report

Yeah I got this too.

Mostly identified this as total bullshit scam, but a part of me wondered if Elon and Bill were actually involved in this bullshit scam.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Professor Shark posted:

I like to check out my Junk folder that is full of stuff that is automatically identified as scams and a lot of them cite Elon Musk, so I’m guessing no

Assuming Musk is involved in scams is a generally sensible thing to do tho

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Talorat posted:

This is actually a pretty well known one, they use ai generated videos of the celebs to build credibility. There was a huge scam using Trump’s name and likeness that was recently dismantled, but not before scamming a shitload of gullible chuds out of their money.

Lol. Who falls for this poo poo? I wouldn't give my own mother an investment money if my life depended on it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Time_pants posted:

Ads are loving everywhere. Holy poo poo. Stop trying to sell me poo poo all the time. I was researching something today for work about an old payroll system, and there were three midroll ads in a 20-frame slideshow on the payroll system developer's own website. Not even for their own software or services. Just random other poo poo. gently caress all the way off with that.

Maybe if you bought more stuff capitalism wouldn't need to advertise at you so much.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How do you print a USB?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Triikan posted:

I don't know if this is widespread, but there was a company selling software that allowed law firms to store several megabytes on a sheet of paper to fulfill a legal requirement that they keep a paper record. As long as your USB drive was really small, that's how you'd print it.

Iike hexadecimal code or something?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Buy a second hand drum kit and guitar and record your own music. Idiots.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I screenshot poo poo all the time now, I assume that function will disappear on phones any generation now

Imgur loving sucks. Give me the goddamn jpg url don't make me click a hundred buttons and gently caress about with editing the url every time. You're an image hosting service, know your place.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

The awful app does what???

gently caress, I'm a luddite

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a good alternative?

Imgur used to be really good and I guess I have no idea how they were paying for stuff, but it seems it's circling the drain.

Unfortunately there is no good alternative to something awful. We're stuck with it and it's stuck with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We're getting spam to our Facebook account with a 'your product didn't work, here's a photo' and the attachment is clearly some malware/virus/program. Reporting them is a waste of time coz they keep popping up. Why not allow business profiles to automatically not allow any attachments sent to their inbox? If it's important they'll send an email anyway. At some point someone will accidentally click the download and then we're hosed.