Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Discord updated their mobile app so uploading photos from your phone is even harder now and it sorts by recent photos you uploaded to discord, not recent photos you took on your phone. Enshittification has made me so cynical that I feel like this boneheaded move has to rn something related to nudging people to Nitro(their paid plan) but I can’t figure out what it is.

But yeah I agree with the theory that a lot of otherwise confusing UI decisions are just somebody trying to justify their job/a promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Arrhythmia posted:

I installed an extension that blocks Youtube recommendations and it's pretty close to one of the best things I've ever done.

You know, I have to do some contrary posting to say that I actually enjoy recommendations and how spot on they are for me. The algo has a pretty good sense of when I’m getting into something deep and when I’m open to seeing things from other channels, then sometimes it goes “do you wanna know why power lines have those funny ceramic shapes near the wires? Of course you do” and then I watch the video and learn something new.

Once in a blue moon the algo suggests something I extremely hate but more often than not I get a nice stream of educational and interesting videos relevant to my interests. Of course, I don’t expect this golden age period in algo reccs to last forever for me, I’m sure google will eventually find a way to piss me off and into canceling a 3 year long streak of YouTube Premium, but luckily it isn’t at that point yet (for me).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

acejackson42 posted:

not to mention phones that are more powerful that $10,000 desktops from that time, you'd laugh.

Yeah it’s supremely bonkers to me how much things a phone can do that you’d normally need a computer for, and the bottlenecks against usability/comfort come from screen size and software, not really hardware horsepower. Equally nuts is that the cost is so low that homeless people are by and large smartphone connected too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
ICE COLD AC

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Gwely Mernans posted:

I have to wonder how many accidents have been caused by UI engineers randomly moving poo poo around in music apps. I have YT premium since YT Music actually randomly has a great algorithm for finding new music (and it's nice not having youtube ads generally) and once every couple of months they'll just move buttons to other places or nest them in drop-down menus and it completely messes with my muscle memory while I'm driving. I know I shouldn't even be touching my phone, but it shouldn't be a struggle just to hit "shuffle" while I'm still watching the road 100%

Bruh I have no idea why they keep doing this. It’s completely ridiculous. The only enhancement in memory is when they added the ability to tailor your radio station from “familiar” to “discovery”, the latter being really good at doing just that. But everything else, goon lord what is going on there?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I made the mistake of updating the Google Home app on my phone and they managed to replace 99% of the screen space with one of those Google clipart drawings of a person, and hide all of the functions behind a tiny strip of inscrutable hieroglyph buttons along the bottom edge.

I moved into a place with a google nest thermostat and yeah this stupid app didn’t need to be made stupider, but clearly it did because some project manager wanted to justify a promotion or some stupid crap.

I really hate how even simple utility apps cannot be simply fine, they must be ever-changing. I feel like a luddite saying it, but I have no idea what these UI changes are in service of.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zeg posted:

All my favorite communities moving to discord and then becoming a mega clique. :saddowns:

As much as I love discord, yeah. It makes discoverability of these communities awful, search engines can’t really lead you there, it almost feels harder to break into that community that has been tightly integrated by the time you find it.

The positive is that a fair number of these discord communities have meme channels so that gives me more opportunities to remain master memer in my friends group.

But yeah it blows. I can only see negative long term effects.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Head Bee Guy posted:

The amazon app has a tiktok clone tab so you can watch short clips of someone using a fridge or something
I just opened my app to check, and there it is.

Are you for real right now lmao

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Bad Purchase posted:

seriously, tonight i searched youtube for "tonetta pressure zone" and among the first page of results was loving diablo 4 build videos

You probably know this but to anyone else, don’t sleep on his other stuff. It’s really good.

https://youtu.be/N2saA6OzGFg

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I use some little text expander chrome plugin for work and it saves me a ton of time but they’re enshittifying hard now.

The writing was on the wall when they renamed themselves to include something like “Chat GPT writer” in the name. So now when I’m in Gmail they have little buttons placed in my response window to “helpfully” write a response when I will never do that as part of my job. And now they defaulted to having a floating button appear on all pages. Of course, there’s no plugin config settings to disable any of these things.

I’d say “if you’re gonna enshittify something I use for free, let me pay some fee to opt out of this” but lord knows even if I paid that wouldn’t be enough for them and they’d still push through with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Instagram is integrating Threads into my timeline and 9/10 times they do it, its always inflammatory hate or culture war BS

Glad to know they're really no better than Twitter in any regard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

teen witch posted:

Likewise, IG is my main social media platform and that’s fine! But gee posts saying everything but explicit 14 words is not a great way to advertise a social media platform. I really don’t understand who thinks that seeing this poo poo makes anyone want to engage. Hell, any of the Twitter-a-like platforms seem uniquely lovely.

So IG it is, and IG it shall remain.

Yeah I got another dumb “white men are the most oppressed class in America” threads suggestion today and of course all the other ones in the carousel were bigotry.

Are there Safari extensions that I can use to clean up instagram, the same way there are some that clean up YouTube? I think I’m gonna ditch the IG app entirely except for when I check messages. It’s just….way too crappy to use the app nowadays.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It looks like the Targets ive been to in both the rich and the poor zip codes have gone absolutely nuts with putting everything behind security panels. Phone cases, detergents, toothpaste, underwear, every single thing. Of course you use the little summoning button and nobody shows up, and when you do flag down an employee they dont have the keys with them about half the time.

Some googling redditing suggests its semi-organized thieves reselling items on amazon/facebook marketplace or something? Its supremely annoying and its stupid just how many items are behind glass now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I finally got instagram to stop putting anything but cat videos on my main feed. The more I interacted with posts in order to block them, the more instagram would think I was wanting to see that content. So when I cat vid came up, I interacted with it and trained it to only serve me that. They’re also incredibly inoffensive and occasionally cute so whatever.

The explore page is beyond saving though, I stopped using it years ago because it stopped serving me pics and started serving me marketplace ads and reels.

I noticed if you have a connection of friends’ stories you want to see, tapping on the rightmost friend and working “backwards” to the left avoids ads, for now.

I’d delete this stupid app but I communicate with more distant friends and green-bubblers there. *sigh*

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 31, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

There are too many bad product reviewers that flood google's search engines.
And people pay to have their bad products review well, so the same thing keep popping up.
The reviews are so bad that it doesn't even seem like a person touched the product.

The good product reviewers get squeezed out because it is less profitable to make written reviews.

Yeah product research is absolute hell now because it’s affiliate links plus the reviews are just “some Amazon reviewers complained of a faulty hinge mechanism”

I guess Joe Public’s dad thinks it’s a swell summary, and those types sure as hell outnumber me, but it’s awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tokelau All Star posted:

I don't mind paying for poo poo, I just want to pay for it one time up front and have that be the end of it.

I had paid a No Ads IAP for an app before and when I returned to it a few years later ads were mandatory and my purchase just…vanished. It was only like $2 but that plus games/apps over $5 have to be really impressive to me since basically all phone apps are live service now and all of this just feels ephemeral anyways.

I know capitalism doesn’t work this way but I wouldn’t mind if more apps just went into bare-maintenance mode sooner and let good enough be…good enough.