Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Purposely tank their search engine so they don't get anti trust for monopolizing all internet services as that's not as profitable as all their data siphoning apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Oreo McFlurries kind of suck now. McDonald's ice cream used to taste vanilla like, now it tastes like Wendy's frosties. That is to say, it is less flavourful than if I just left a cup of milk in my car during the winter.

How nearly all reviewer sites are just paid fake content.

How so many kids want freelance marketing hype-man to be their career, but calling it 'influencer'.

Reddit killing Joey (third party apps)

There's no fireflies where I live anymore.

There's no deer where I live anymore (though this may be a blessing considering wasting disease is spreading to basically everywhere )

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think you'd want to eat a deer that has wasting disease, hell I don't know if you'd want to eat any deer right now. You don't gently caress with prions.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Gas pumps here started playing ads in Canada. I pressed every button but none of them muted it. Will likely try pushing different combinations of these buttons next time I go. Or hold it down. Or just ask the person at the store whenever I pay.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Before this wasn't it to help digitize old books?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Road paint sucks. Most of the time you can't see it because it fades in a week. They replaced the old one saying it wasn't good for the environment but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs since that's a lot of gas being used for the paint truck and a lot of materials for the pigment being reapplied far more often.

Its most difficult in the night because road work crews, when changing the shape of a road, will put a black substance over the old lines not to confuse people - only that that substance is far more visible and appears tinted white in the headlights whereas the new paint is hardly visible or already worn away.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Coke started using corn syrup as their sweetener since 1984. New coke was likely a way to make the switch more palatable than it otherwise would have been by giving a really awful product then going back to classic formula.

If you want good coke check out Mexican coke. Still uses cane sugar.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
You'd think coke would be smart enough to deliver the dry ingredients to large regions for distribution locally minimizing the cost of the additional weight glass has over plastic but who knows.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
We are in the Metal Gear Solid II timeline my friends.

https://youtu.be/eKl6WjfDqYA

Start at 2:03.

The future is horrific and full of camp.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Way to dovetail this topic into the ai one

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Back in the day you used to be able to preload all the tabs in advance and watch at your heart's content. Back when my Internet was slow id basically load up my days viewing for later and play at night.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I tend to use revanced. I still haven't gotten a hang of it yet since vanced had spoofed premium features but that's more my own ignorance than anything.

I just need to figure out a way to stream to my TV because it uses the YouTube app for that.

I might just say gently caress it and get a new laptop. My newest one is 20 years old but never felt the need to get a new one. Clean install of windows 10, 2.4Ghz, 8gb ram, i7.

So things that gotten shittier, my media set up and pirate pipeline.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'd blame city infrastructure more so. Cars and bikes should never share the road. Bikes should be on a raised path next to the pedestrian path. People who are waiting for a bike going 15mph in a 40mph will eventually force their way through as their patience runs out. Putting a slow moving person on a thin frame next to a bunch of death machines is stupid. As a car driver I will even say it's 80% the fault of the person driving the car. But good god .stop biking up hill you slow gently caress I need to take a dump already and you're going a third the speed limit. No don't slow down to coast with your feet off the pedals. loving fuckity gently caress

Oh and I keep my condiments in the fridge.

Houle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2024

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
People speed because the roads are super wide, mostly straight-aways, and the time it takes you to get home is one of the only variables in your control (somewhat) that can help you get just a few minutes rest before the next ad blares in your face. I'd also be curious to see the average distances and time of the commute. In Canada it's something like half an hour to an hour.

For 15 minute cities, my only concern really is the infrastructure of opening up so many businesses with the expectation of staff availability around the location and not see there be a weird zoning push where it just gentrifies people who would benefit the most from a 15 minute city out of them in favour of empty buildings getting passive rent seeking income

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't that literally taxation without representation? I was about to say what would happen if those areas decided to not pay taxes and then I realized that the south would just throw them into plantations prison where they can make cheap products for like 10 cents a year or whatever the gently caress loophole companies use to contract slavery with extra steps.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Things that suck that isn't tech
-- summers have gotten humid, hot, and mosquito filled. I never see any dragonflies or fireflies or butterflies or any of the cool bugs. Just mosquitos, flies, fruit flies, and ants.

-- because of a crap ton of construction and essentially no shits given to air quality or waste there is a smog that blackens your snot in the Kleenex.

-- so many cereals cut back on oat flower and been throwing more cornflour in their recipes. I like having cereal instead of a desert wje. I am having a sweet craving.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

carrionman posted:

Have you seen how hard the SEO poo poo has latched onto that? Last time I did that the reddit thread was the third result.

"Name of thing I want to know" site:https://www.reddit.com then click the result you want and then replace www with old in the URL.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Michaels and a few other stores purposely price their items super high because those who are regular shoppers always just show the 50% off coupon on the website - or soon retailer app.

Either a) you are trained to visit the website or interact with the app for metrics or;
B ) you see a coupon and don't know the con and think wow what a deal and limited time too and go there to buy
C) you don't know about the coupon and buy something at the lovely price because the atmosphere or some poo poo makes it seem like the products are higher quality than Walmart.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Mortgage rates mean nothing when a company can just buy wholesale. It makes more financial sense to buy houses than it is to keep money in a bank. Housing is another stock market to grow imaginary numbers no matter the human suffering. Housing can't go down in price because it's a gigantic shell game for corporations like it was before the financial collapse a few financial collapses ago. That's a huge portion of the economy. Not to mention it is a great way to launder money. All the while there's arguments about making people live in smaller and smaller areas on top of one another in apartments (that are 2800 minimum a month. No parking included. Is extra. Outside. )

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Bobstar posted:

I have a real one!

Delivery mopeds with advertising LCDs on 3 sides of the cargo box. I've seen several in the week I've been in London

I didn't manage to get a picture, but I did find a helpful diagram online that details all the ways it's terrible

You'd think that would be somewhere amongst the distracted driving laws since it is bright. However I can see this as an actual accidental good by making people aware of the driver so that they don't get injured by people in cars not paying attention. Would prefer useful factoids or cool poo poo. Capitalism, human suffering is the point. Any benefits; accidental and will eventually be monetized.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Wait, you actually want black text on a white background? Why?

Most of my phone posting is in a dark room by myself in the shame I should feel whenever posting on the Internet. I like having the screen really dark and then an off white/yellow text. I also read that it saves battery power on OLEDS.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

The problem with StarLink is that it is wrecking astronomy, even for space-based satellites. lovely Internet sucks, but loving up an entire field of science sucks worse. Don't support Musk in doing so.

edit: I used to be an astronomer, and this issue took me from "passionate space enthusiast" to "we should not go to space, because if we do so right now, we will just loot it and fill it with trash".

I got some great news for you. They are going to mine and carve the poo poo out of the moon and eventually they are going to spell out their advertising in gigantic letters that you will see every full moon because gently caress nature. gently caress beauty. gently caress not constantly being promoted to or siphoned by rent seeking behaviour.

I wonder how that will eventually gently caress with our climate in ways we don't know from all the dust being thrown in the air and rocketed back to earth to make dumb poo poo like tiger penis clippers or American flag coins that say never forget and doubles as a channeled surface to do your cocaine in before finding the next misery to unleash upon the world.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

dreezy posted:

buy a paintball gun and a balaclava and paint the town's advertisements red

I forgot to pay for the subscription for the ink balls now that the paintball company was bought out by a venture capital so the trigger is locked until I buy more - not from an unauthorized retailer though. Wouldn't want to jam the gun.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Turn on your monitor

Jokes on you. I use darkmode. I faintly see my shame at all times

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The phone is pretty crap. I never answer when I get a phone call because it's always a scam and now they fish numbers and occasionally names.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Cars should have the media controls on the steering wheel by default. Instead of fumbling and looking down, it's a slide of the thumb.

When I reverse, the entertainment system screen turns into the camera so I have both the rear mirror and the camera. It makes sense too since I should never be in a situation where I'm loving around with my stereo while backing up.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Air Canada is going to start charging you for wanting a specific seat. They are going to do the random selection, seems like a specific gently caress you to parents and people who are anxious sitting alone. Sorry Jimmie, mom and dad are at the front of the plane where you can't see us.

This doesn't impact me too too much, I usually just want a window seat because I hate getting up because someone who has a small bladder has to tiktok their reaction to clouds. I just want to sleep undisturbed until I start getting free poo poo like a paper napkin with your logo on it or a third of a can of orange juice.

That and I'm getting tired of reading parliamentary hearings and anytime the conservatives talk it has to be this really unnatural commercial like cadence where they throw in as many buzzwords or national post headlines they can instead of actually saying anything.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Just spamming salsa dancer and eggplant emoji

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Guys I want my cruise control to ram into cars in front of me instead of slowing down. Numbers scare me.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Ketchup has been getting worse. Heinz is a watery mess that always has ketchup water regardless of how thoroughly you shake it.I always keep my ketchup in the fridge, couldn't fathom keeping it in the cupboard.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Hibernate seems to mean randomly turn on in the middle of the night and overheat in my bag until it drains the battery.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

podcast is a 20 year old term too

this would be like if we called DVDs 'disc VHS tapes' or some poo poo, just like. why did we keep the old technology name in the title. we really have gotten stuck in an era of stagnation, drat.

I still say rewind for optical and digital media.

I also sometimes still say tape too.

You could download the podcast onto your iPod shuffle and then tell others that you are the only one who listens to the media the way it ought to. :smug:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Vegetable Thins are thinner and have less flavour and don't have a satisfying bite. They used to be slightly puffed up.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
From what I've seen in this topic I don't trust any business to effectively handle their waste. I used to think Simpsons was a satire but I fully expect to hear a case of nuclear waste being buried under a play ground or important aquifer or something.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I love that the actual website content appears to take up only about 40% of the screen while the big giant ad takes up 70%

And the rest, just a black void, sure.

Should I turn my monitor on its side to read this in the right ratio? Or move my eyeballs so they're on top of each other

And yet people think those who have add blockers are the problem. Anytime I see someone watching cable I am perplexed with how much poo poo they will passively sit through just to watch their constantly interrupted show. That, and throughout the years seeing less and less of it due to it being consistently edited down to make room for more commercials.

it would be like if every 10km the highway is shut down for you to watch 3 minutes of commercials in their infotainment systems.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I guarantee the reason google and others are so hot to get self driving cars working is so they can serve you an endless series of ads on the screen where your windshield used to be.

One of the most realistic and disturbing thing about Uploaded isn't the premise but all the ways everything has been monitored and used for commercials

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's the everyone is either Einstein or Hitler dynamic. Gotta punch things up as much as you can. Its the opposite of the British understatement. I don't think someone literally wants to eat donkey poop or stab out their eyes, or it drowns kittens or gave them a hernia. What it means is, "thing bad". Same with most of the death threats I've received over the years. Most of those were "I disagree".

So a thing that has gotten shittier are that there is always a onesupmanship that leads to an offensiveness war that ultimately becomes the baseline going forward.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally. I think murder is kind of bad and should be discouraged. That's just me though.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

withak posted:

Only small-minded people things that they haven’t tried.

Just call me old fashioned then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Always wondered how those would actually beat a robot. You'd think that in the back end it is just looking for a matching click or tracing the location of the object to each other object, there's usually a few basic capchas that you could store for and it would look for the meta tags or patterns unique to each one to form the algorithm.

If someone can make an automatic pokemon shiny hunter based on how long the screen darkens with a shiny pokemon vs a normal one some one could easily do the above. If the captcha is too annoying or too numerous I just don't go to the site anymore.