Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

capitalism and landlordism have always been lovely, and thusly are disqualified from discussion in this thread!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

“Being a landlord is the Dark Souls of investing” is going to haunt me for a long time.

In that, in both cases people frequently feel the need to defend their choices online.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

I'll leave it at that due to HIPAA.

You are in no conceivable way a healthcare professional, and you do not have patients, you have tenants.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

I just spent my last week serving as an ad-hoc social worker and cleaning up human feces for another renter, then going back each day to run an ozone generator to try to curb the smell, and tracking down their actual social worker who dipped without notice due to a family emergency. I'll leave it at that due to HIPAA.

you are going to give someone cancer
Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | US EPA

www.epa.gov - Thu, 28 Aug 2014 posted:

• First, a review of scientific research shows that, for many of the chemicals commonly found in indoor environments, the reaction process with ozone may take months or years (Boeniger, 1995). For all practical purposes, ozone does not react at all with such chemicals. And contrary to specific claims by some vendors, ozone generators are not effective in removing carbon monoxide (Salls, 1927; Shaughnessy et al., 1994) or formaldehyde (Esswein and Boeniger, 1994).

• Second, for many of the chemicals with which ozone does readily react, the reaction can form a variety of harmful or irritating by-products (Weschler et al., 1992a, 1992b, 1996; Zhang and Lioy, 1994). For example, in a laboratory experiment that mixed ozone with chemicals from new carpet, ozone reduced many of these chemicals, including those which can produce new carpet odor. However, in the process, the reaction produced a variety of aldehydes, and the total concentration of organic chemicals in the air increased rather than decreased after the introduction of ozone (Weschler, et. al., 1992b). In addition to aldehydes, ozone may also increase indoor concentrations of formic acid (Zhang and Lioy, 1994), both of which can irritate the lungs if produced in sufficient amounts. Some of the potential by-products produced by ozone’s reactions with other chemicals are themselves very reactive and capable of producing irritating and corrosive by-products (Weschler and Shields, 1996, 1997a, 1997b). Given the complexity of the chemical reactions that occur, additional research is needed to more completely understand the complex interactions of indoor chemicals in the presence of ozone.

• Third, ozone does not remove particles (e.g., dust and pollen) from the air, including the particles that cause most allergies. However, some ozone generators are manufactured with an "ion generator" or "ionizer" in the same unit. An ionizer is a device that disperses negatively (and/or positively) charged ions into the air. These ions attach to particles in the air giving them a negative (or positive) charge so that the particles may attach to nearby surfaces such as walls or furniture, or attach to one another and settle out of the air. In recent experiments, ionizers were found to be less effective in removing particles of dust, tobacco smoke, pollen or fungal spores than either high efficiency particle filters or electrostatic precipitators. (Shaughnessy et al., 1994; Pierce, et al., 1996). However, it is apparent from other experiments that the effectiveness of particle air cleaners, including electrostatic precipitators, ion generators, or pleated filters varies widely (U.S. EPA, 1995).

There is evidence to show that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is not effective at removing many odor-causing chemicals.
  • In an experiment designed to produce formaldehyde concentrations representative of an embalming studio, where formaldehyde is the main odor producer, ozone showed no effect in reducing formaldehyde concentration (Esswein and Boeniger, 1994). Other experiments suggest that body odor may be masked by the smell of ozone but is not removed by ozone (Witheridge and Yaglou, 1939). Ozone is not considered useful for odor removal in building ventilation systems (ASHRAE, 1989).

• While there are few scientific studies to support the claim that ozone effectively removes odors, it is plausible that some odorous chemicals will react with ozone. For example, in some experiments, ozone appeared to react readily with certain chemicals, including some chemicals that contribute to the smell of new carpet (Weschler, 1992b; Zhang and Lioy, 1994). Ozone is also believed to react with acrolein, one of the many odorous and irritating chemicals found in secondhand tobacco smoke (US EPA, 1995).

If used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants.
  • Some data suggest that low levels of ozone may reduce airborne concentrations and inhibit the growth of some biological organisms while ozone is present, but ozone concentrations would have to be 5 - 10 times higher than public health standards allow before the ozone could decontaminate the air sufficiently to prevent survival and regeneration of the organisms once the ozone is removed (Dyas, et al.,1983; Foarde et al., 1997).

• Even at high concentrations, ozone may have no effect on biological contaminants embedded in porous material such as duct lining or ceiling tiles (Foarde et al, 1997). In other words, ozone produced by ozone generators may inhibit the growth of some biological agents while it is present, but it is unlikely to fully decontaminate the air unless concentrations are high enough to be a health concern if people are present. Even with high levels of ozone, contaminants embedded in porous material may not be affected at all.

---
## If I Follow Manufacturers' Directions, Can I be Harmed?https://null

Results of some controlled studies show that concentrations of ozone considerably higher than these standards are possible even when a user follows the manufacturer’s operating instructions.

There are many brands and models of ozone generators on the market. They vary in the amount of ozone they can produce. In many circumstances, the use of an ozone generator may not result in ozone concentrations that exceed public health standards. But many factors affect the indoor concentration of ozone so that under some conditions ozone concentrations may exceed public health standards.
  • In one study (Shaughnessy and Oatman, 1991), a large ozone generator recommended by the manufacturer for spaces "up to 3,000 square feet," was placed in a 350 square foot room and run at a high setting. The ozone in the room quickly reached concentrations that were exceptionally high--0.50 to 0.80 ppm which is 5-10 times higher than public health limits (see Table 1.)

• In an EPA study, several different devices were placed in a home environment, in various rooms, with doors alternately opened and closed, and with the central ventilation system fan alternately turned on and off. The results showed that some ozone generators, when run at a high setting with interior doors closed, would frequently produce concentrations of 0.20 - 0.30 ppm. A powerful unit set on high with the interior doors opened achieved values of 0.12 to 0.20 ppm in adjacent rooms. When units were not run on high, and interior doors were open, concentrations generally did not exceed public health standards (US EPA, 1995).

• The concentrations reported above were adjusted to exclude that portion of the ozone concentration brought in from the outdoors. Indoor concentrations of ozone brought in from outside are typically 0.01- 0.02 ppm, but could be as high as 0.03 - 0.05 ppm (Hayes, 1991; U.S. EPA, 1996b; Weschler et al., 1989, 1996; Zhang and Lioy; 1994). If the outdoor portion of ozone were included in the indoor concentrations reported above, the concentrations inside would have been correspondingly higher, increasing the risk of excessive ozone exposure.

• None of the studies reported above involved the simultaneous use of more than one device. The simultaneous use of multiple devices increases the total ozone output and therefore greatly increases the risk of excessive ozone exposure.

---
## Why is it Difficult to Control Ozone Exposure with an Ozone Generator?

The actual concentration of ozone produced by an ozone generator depends on many factors. Concentrations will be higher if a more powerful device or more than one device is used, if a device is placed in a small space rather than a large space, if interior doors are closed rather than open and, if the room has fewer rather than more materials and furnishings that adsorb or react with ozone and, provided that outdoor concentrations of ozone are low, if there is less rather than more outdoor air ventilation.

The proximity of a person to the ozone generating device can also affect one’s exposure. The concentration is highest at the point where the ozone exits from the device, and generally decreases as one moves further away.

Manufacturers and vendors advise users to size the device properly to the space or spaces in which it is used. Unfortunately, some manufacturers’ recommendations about appropriate sizes for particular spaces have not been sufficiently precise to guarantee that ozone concentrations will not exceed public health limits. Further, some literature distributed by vendors suggests that users err on the side of operating a more powerful machine than would normally be appropriate for the intended space, the rationale being that the user may move in the future, or may want to use the machine in a larger space later on. Using a more powerful machine increases the risk of excessive ozone exposure.

Ozone generators typically provide a control setting by which the ozone output can be adjusted. The ozone output of these devices is usually not proportional to the control setting. That is, a setting at medium does not necessarily generate an ozone level that is halfway between the levels at low and high. The relationship between the control setting and the output varies considerably among devices, although most appear to elevate the ozone output much more than one would expect as the control setting is increased from low to high. In experiments to date, the high setting in some devices generated 10 times the level obtained at the medium setting (US EPA, 1995). Manufacturer’s instructions on some devices link the control setting to room size and thus indicate what setting is appropriate for different room sizes. However, room size is only one factor affecting ozone levels in the room.

In addition to adjusting the control setting to the size of the room, users have sometimes been advised to lower the ozone setting if they can smell the ozone. Unfortunately, the ability to detect ozone by smell varies considerably from person to person, and one’s ability to smell ozone rapidly deteriorates in the presence of ozone. While the smell of ozone may indicate that the concentration is too high, lack of odor does not guarantee that levels are safe.

At least one manufacturer is offering units with an ozone sensor that turns the ozone generator on and off with the intent of maintaining ozone concentrations in the space below health standards. EPA is currently evaluating the effectiveness and reliability of these sensors, and plans to conduct further research to improve society’s understanding of ozone chemistry indoors. EPA will report its findings as the results of this research become available.

---

## Can Ozone be Used in Unoccupied Spaces?

Ozone has been extensively used for water purification, but ozone chemistry in water is not the same as ozone chemistry in air. High concentrations of ozone in air, when people are not present, are sometimes used to help decontaminate an unoccupied space from certain chemical or biological contaminants or odors (e.g., fire restoration). However, little is known about the chemical by-products left behind by these processes (Dunston and Spivak, 1997). While high concentrations of ozone in air may sometimes be appropriate in these circumstances, conditions should be sufficiently controlled to insure that no person or pet becomes exposed. Ozone can adversely affect indoor plants, and damage materials such as rubber, electrical wire coatings and fabrics and art work containing susceptible dyes and pigments (U.S. EPA, 1996a).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I ran the ozone to supplement my cleaning while the tenant was away for several weeks. I coordinated with the social worker to make sure it would have days to air out before their return.

Look at your last quoted paragraph: "sometimes decontaminate", "sometimes be appropriate". This was one of those sometimes and I took the needed precautions. It's O3, it oxidizes stuff. The place was plenty cancer-causing before I ran it since the apartment was covered in cigarette ash. I was there, I have a nose, it helped.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i would strongly encourage you to quit while you are only this much behind

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

start a loving landlord thread or something jfc

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nobody should be loving landlords. Have some self respect.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

It'll be one of the funniest threads in GBS for 6 hours

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

i would strongly encourage you to quit while you are only this much behind

I did but "you're literally going around giving people cancer" is a whole new level of stupid accusation lol

Professional remediators use O3 for a reason.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Man I'd do an amazingly useful OP if I knew it wouldn't be poo poo on and shut down instantly. Anyway I'll just unbookmark this so I'm not tempted to keep replying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Your posts are giving people cancer

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Cerekk posted:

1700/mo/kid is not enough to pay daycare workers well even if there were zero other expenses besides paying the people literally in the room with the children

Yeah we use a church daycare (meaning the facilities, materials, utilities and e.g. custodial services are donated by the church) and it's still about $800 per month per kid (a 2YO and 4YO).

They keep open books. According to those, the workers make $17.50/hr-$25/hr (the manager), with insurance and a 5% retirement match. Those are the daycare's only expenses.

We end up donating a big chunk to the church every year because they're always adding security doors for the daycare entrances, replacing the fridges in the infant's room, or offering $1 care for low-income families etc.

So we're paying about the same as you,* and in a pretty low cost of living area, for the workers to make less than a first-year elementary school teacher. And this with everybody being totally open about costs and the Daycare not actually making any money.

* although lots of families are paying less.

Brainworm fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 20, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
my car! it started making noises for no good reason that has nothing to do with me not really taking good care of it but this guy i took it to said he fixed something or other but he told me this over a phone call where he had me talk to the cop that pulled him over when driving my car to ask if i had insurance which i do and i told officer fuckstick as much and he said ok so now it sounds like my car may be fixed for now? cars are a hassle!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if you claim that housing is an investment you should probably know that investing often carries risk

also you should probably huff my balls about it you parasite.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I have a real one!

Delivery mopeds with advertising LCDs on 3 sides of the cargo box. I've seen several in the week I've been in London

I didn't manage to get a picture, but I did find a helpful diagram online that details all the ways it's terrible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh it’s eco friendly :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, I guess I could say at least its attaching advertising to something already serving another purpose.

The worst were those trucks that just drove around towing a mobile billboard. Are they still around? I haven't seen one in a while now.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006