Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Houle posted:

Back in the day you used to be able to preload all the tabs in advance and watch at your heart's content. Back when my Internet was slow id basically load up my days viewing for later and play at night.

I miss when it did this. SmartTube has an option where it lets you preload a hefty chunk (I can't recall exactly how much) and it ignores youtube ads too so that's kinda sick tbh. Android only: https://smarttube.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

wash bucket posted:

I don't know about London specifically, but in the US voter ID laws are a voter suppression tactic. For example, Alabama enacted voter ID laws then closed all the department of motor vehicle offices in counties with majority black populations.

It's the same reason here in the UK. Suppression. Old people have nothing better to do than vote and they overwhelmingly vote right wing. The right wing government has been loving everything up to the point where they think they can't trust the old people vote now so instead they're trying to make it harder for everyone else to vote by adding extra steps and hoping nobody notices.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My country has required ID to vote for a few decades. It was to prevent voter fraud, where people were turning up to vote only to discover someone already voted in their name, so they were denied. It’s not a problem here, really, because 99.9% of people already have a valid ID, since you can’t do anything without one.

Ironically this is the 'reason' often given in the UK despite voter fraud amounting to absolutely gently caress all (14 actual cases in the past 4 years).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 14, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You may have missed the part where they have to use the app and/or the TV app.

And this problem is the exact reason why smart TVs suck poo poo. Any purpose built device for watching TV is going to be better than the TV itself which should be a dumb pane of glass for simply showing an input. Adding extra features that they're going to stop supporting in a couple of years (I'm looking at you, Samsung) purely to add it to the marketing copy is terrible.

If you sell a smart device you should be forced to support it for the reasonable lifespan of the product. Samsung fucks itself (and therefore the buyer) over by selling a billion devices a year which it can't possibly have any hope of keeping on top of. It's not just a Samsung problem but they're absolutely one of the worst offenders.

And Samsung's customer service sucks poo poo and their website is a loving abomination due to all the products they sell. Good luck finding firmware updates for anything over 12 months old.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Subscriptions are the worst invention of all time. Then you combine a subscription with an app for water making it all so much worse. Let people have cool water at stations just to be nice, why the profit extraction all the time?

https://twitter.com/Shitty_Future/status/1779991434864570763?t=gPuiQ15nmuJO3Zxpl4w9Gg&s=19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Original_Z posted:

I wonder how much longer until hardware becomes locked at a subscription. Buy that new microwave and washing machine for only $30 a month! Now everyone can own appliances, sure you'll spend more in the long run, but in the short term it's so affordable! Once you subscription lapses the machine stops working and bills you a huge cancellation fee and you also have to pay for the cost of courier to come pick it up!

You all know it's gonna happen eventually, we keep paying for subscriptions, even when they raise prices and make them worse companies continue to report growth and record profits. You know every industry wants to get a piece of the action.

My grandmother for many, many years had a rental CRT TV, it had a coin box on the back and periodically the TV would switch itself off and you'd have to pop a 50 pence piece in the back and twist a handle. As a kid it was actually kinda fun to do. These days though a kid wouldn't even get to twist a handle, the number would just drop off your bank balance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I have a real one!

Delivery mopeds with advertising LCDs on 3 sides of the cargo box. I've seen several in the week I've been in London

I didn't manage to get a picture, but I did find a helpful diagram online that details all the ways it's terrible

I've never seen them with LCD ads, they're usually just back-lit static ads, certainly not at 3000 lumens because :lol: that would be blinding.

I'd rather scooters be a thing for delivery than more cars tbh. You get your poo poo faster if you use them because static traffic simply cannot stop a bike.

What does suck a lot and this isn't specifically a thing for bikes like this but vehicles in general doing drops/deliveries, even ubers etc is the phone being the main distraction which we all know is dangerous af and should carry heavier penalties.

We have a lot of e-bike deliveries and they kinda suck because they're actually illegal to have a throttle on (they should be pedal assist) and they zip around at like 40mph on pavements which is obviously well above the 16mph limit for assist. I don't mind they exist but government needs to set up a specific set of laws around them, but that's just them not keeping pace with things because they live in a bubble.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 21, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's a mouse?!

Thanks Ants posted:

No no no no no no no no

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Cars are no longer simple to work on because modern fuel economy cannot be achieved without sensors and computers to control the engine and transmission. Even more so with things like hybrid drivetrains.

lmao a lot of modern stuff gets woeful mileage because everything is so big and heavy but needs to have some level of performance. I have a 1987 Civic that will do about 46mpg combined, engine tech has probably improved since then so why is a huge chunk modern stuff barely getting 35mpg and people are lauding it as great?

Cars should be smaller, lighter, less powerful.

Alternatively public transport should be everywhere because people barely want to pay attention long enough before they crash their poo poo anyway. (driving standards have definitely gotten shittier).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The thread noticeably got worse when Duck and Cover was posting last night.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Just to change gears from car chat,

Last night I needed to play a DVD for the kids, and our new TV is HDMI only. I didn't have time to play cable Frankenstein so I went to the box store and found a whole slew of $300 to 400 blue ray players and a $35 Sony DVD player. The box for it gave no indication of how it plugged in, so I googled the model number and Google answers says the Sony whatever has 2 HDMI ports and then there were reviews saying that it had HDMI ports, and the there were instructions available on how to plug your Sony whatever in to your smart TV via HDMI so I bought the drat thing, brought it home and opened it up and it's loving component only JUST LIKE THE GODDAMN DVD PLAYER I ALREADY HAVE

Thanks for listening

I'm genuinely shocked you can buy a non-HDMI DVD player in tyool 2024.

And if we can talk about cables, connections and such, I hate Displayport. Oh you can go from a DP output to a HDMI input but not the other way around unless you have a special active cable which is expensive considering. And you can buy a HDMI cable capable of 4K 60 for a few dollars yet for some reason a standard Displayport equivalent is a stack more despite not having a licensing cost attached like HDMI production does.

That some PCs use this lovely standard is the worst. The only thing DP has going got it is the fact it locks into the port.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cerekk posted:

90% of podcasts should just be a written article

The problem with podcasts is anyone has access to purchase a mic and I feel like they should be a controlled purchase because of this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is now the 3rd year in a row where as soon as the start of Summer rolls around all of the tap water in my city begins absolutely reeking of mold. The water company says "Oh it's just an algae bloom don't worry about it it's totally safe" but meanwhile I've gotta take showers that smell like they're pure liquid mold, and have to buy bottled water to drink water that doesn't taste like mold and that my cats will drink. They talk about it like it's a thing that has always happened every year forever but I've lived here for ~27 years and it never happened prior to 2021. Even after going through a brita filter it smells and tastes like mold.

Over in England and Wales back in the late 80s water was privatised and companies have a monopoly over particular areas. Since then the companies have paid out billions upon billions to shareholders and failed to repair existing infrastructure or build more to cope with demand either current or future. To add to this they've been pumping sewage into rivers and the sea to quite frankly absurd amounts resulting in a huge amount of beaches being off limits for swimmers unless they want to get ill. I believe also France was looking to start legal action over it.

I mean the water supply is decent but gently caress me is the whole setup scummy as.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

All-at-once release tv shows are / were a curse. If you are going to make the whole thing available immediately, make a loving movie or a miniseries instead and trim all the superfluous crap that exists in serialized media due to the fact it's spread over months.

Flipside to this argument is this is how you get trilogies of 3 hour films that invariably would have been better as a longer form series. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

WTFBEES posted:

I got my mom a Nordictrack treadmill for Mother's Day. It's a pretty nice one if I say so myself with a big built-in display and control panel for all the things you'd expect from a treadmill.

Powering it on for the first time gives you nothing but an activation prompt to connect it to a smart phone or tablet, download the app, make an account and all that nonsense. Once that's done, the treadmill stays connected to the device and the treadmill cannot be controlled by the panel. Instead, you have to do everything, including even starting the thing or adjusting speed in the app. The whole rear end control panel and like 30 buttons do nothing but beep when pressed.

Even better, you'd think a bluetooth connection to a thing with speakers built-in would use those speakers for media playback purposes. But no, of course it doesn't do that. Those speakers are only there for beeping unless you plug in an aux cable.

Jumping through the hoops to disconnect the treadmill from the device's Bluetooth eventually gets around the control stupidity, but none of this should be necessary in the first place. The hardware is all right there. Just let it do what it does.

lmao so this is a pre-app product that they've showhorned an app into because they probably want to mine info. The thing probably worked perfectly fine as a standalone device for doing the one specific thing it was designed to do but someone in the exec team heard that everything needs an app now and that's why the tech world is hosed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

When companies started charging you for doing their admin work for them. I used to be able to buy cinema tickets direct from the website and just pay the ticket price. Now there's a charge for doing it this way. And it isn't even a one-off charge, it's per ticket despite it being one transaction.

Dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

pod6isjerks posted:

The app for my LG washer and dryer was never great but at least it worked and wasn't a huge hassle. I tried a newer version of it and it's so goddamn invasive and greedy for information. Smart devices, not even once.

I've never understood apps for devices you have to be stood next to to use.

If I'm loading a washer or dryer, taking out my phone is extra steps over simply pressing buttons while I'm there.

Does it do something particularly specific or?!