Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

teen witch posted:

I don’t have any kids so no ponies in this race, but apparently trying to get daycare for kids is REALLY insane these days. Super expensive and very few slots.

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

*im not wondering, let’s be real.
Childcare is actually insanely loving expensive. Daycare, preschool, whatever. We ended up paying $7,200 for our kid to go to preschool for a year and the place was poo poo and our kid hated it. Naturally, you couldn't withdraw for a partial refund.

As for your question as to whether teaching is such a poorly compensated job because it is regarded as "women's work," but yes, that absolutely is a component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Has any human being ever used Onenote?

Oh you thought you deleted those printers three times already?

Theeeeeey're back!

OneNote is perfect for one very specific type of data being presented in a very specific way. I can't imagine it being good for literally anything else.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I think part of the problem is that the pace of invention used to be slower, so when a technology happened, it would be improved and iterated upon several times before the next big game-changing technology came along. Now, it seems like an endless parade of stopgap or nonstarter tech that comes along in the lulls between actual seismic shifts in technology. Nothing is around long enough to grow and mature, so it's just one lovely new-and-different-enough half-measure that sort of addresses a problem while introducing two new ones.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Also, take something like vacuums as an example. In 2000, you could buy a perfectly good $200 vacuum. Making a better vacuum would cost more, but people wouldn't pay more. Instead, they make vacuums cheaper and shittier, but charge the same. The bonus upside is that they fail quicker, so you can sell another $250 vacuum (what? Gotta account for inflation!).

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jelly posted:

This makes me angrier than anything in this thread. Like how is this legal? You can't redefine a measurement system.

Okay, go ahead and show me all the historical examples of redefining a measurement system.

How many megabytes in a gigabyte are there, again?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

self checkouts own if you have bad anxiety. being able to go grab some shopping without interacting with another person has been very useful to me at times.

Literally the perfect username/post combination.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

Coughing

Everywhere I go it always seems like there's some boomer/genxer over in the corner just casually hacking their lungs out. Every store, every plane, every lunch room at work, bathroom stall, theater...

I am pretty sure I don't remember this being normal.

I have no idea how to respond to this.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Outrail posted:

It's 2023 nobody cares if you read hentai on the bus

You wrap the book so nobody can tell that you aren't.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

"Yes! I finally found the image I was looking for. Oh wait it's a loving Pintrist link, nevermind."

And there goes my PTSD.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Is private equity shorting Zoom or something? Doing a stealth layoff and then going "all your data are belong to me", and I'm sure a price hike is coming, can't be good for their growth.

Who cares about next quarter? That's like a million years from now!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Ads are loving everywhere. Holy poo poo. Stop trying to sell me poo poo all the time. I was researching something today for work about an old payroll system, and there were three midroll ads in a 20-frame slideshow on the payroll system developer's own website. Not even for their own software or services. Just random other poo poo. gently caress all the way off with that.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

anonumos posted:

This has been going on a while, but what's up with wikia? First off all it's the first hit of you search any niche gamer culture poo poo, like mechanics for games, game items, or literally anything if the algorithm thinks you play Minecraft. So that, but also the pages are literally 90% ads, about 6 different kinds of ads. Can't read anything until you click at least 3 times and the page jumps around like a dog chasing a squirrel and they're both on crack. You know I'm desperate to learn some nerdy poo poo if I wade through a wikia article...

I hope literally every bad thing in the world happens to the person who invented the "hitting the back button on your browser takes you to a 'Wait! Don't you want to read this other thing??'" No, fucko. I hit the back button because I'm done and I want to leave.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Vizio has the secret Greg channel. You guys are missing out on all this Greg content.

Believe me, I've got all the Greg I can handle. And that's not just me saying that. It's Greg.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jemak posted:

OK So I guess "Microsoft Azure Active Directory" is now called...
*checks notes*
Entra ID?
:suicide:

... why would they call it that? Why would anyone do that?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have a Philips flatscreen from 2006 and I dread the day it stops working because it's got a surprisingly decent RGB upscaler built into it for some reason? It makes my Dreamcast games look all sexy and crisp and it's the primary reason I refuse to replace it.

That's actually just how Dreamcast games look.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Armacham posted:

Old people must love 2FA

Oh.

My.

GOD.

I was part of a 2FA rollout for biometric Windows login to a law firm comprised in no small part of individuals 50 and up. The way they bitched, you'd have thought we were kneeling during the national anthem while telling them to get vaccinated.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

NFL.com constantly barrages me with ads for NFL Premium+ . We've had a Premium+ account for 7 seasons now. Stop showing me ads for something I already have and spend that time figuring out how to not boot me randomly while watching preseason games.

Premium streaming services need to gently caress off with advertising to their paying customers. That was the final straw that got me to end my subscription with the WWE Network a few years ago. Some of the ads were inexplicable, too. Why are you advertising a pay-per-view that happened 6 years ago? That's a really weird thing to do, WWE!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

This problem is confounded by companies and governments refusing to print things and mail them to you

Well, yeah. They don't want to have to deal with printers.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Further Reading posted:

I had an Irish class in every year of pre college education, but I'm still far from conversational. The most I can brag is that I know the difference between our 5 verb tenses and can still write in 4 of them, which puts me leagues ahead of pretty much the entire non-fluent population my age.

Edit:
Here's a bonus Irish lesson.

Bhuail mé le do mhamaí - I banged your Mom
Buailim le do mhamaí - I am banging your Mom
Buailfhidh mé le do mhamaí - I will bang your Mom
Bhuailfinn le do mhamaí - I would bang your Mom.
The one I can't remember is the past present tense - I used to bang your Mom.

It's only a problem if you stop.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

the Nexusmods solution: every month you download a resource pack of the hottest meme images and and assortment of hip fonts, and a browser plugin assembles the latest memes from them based on a simple scripting language anyone can learn. Or, just install our app!

I don't know what this is, but it's somehow still viscerally upsetting.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

You can download your archived photos from the Google Gallery app one at a time. Have hundreds of photos you want to mass download? gently caress you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Carwash oval office posted:

Some math (I can get by the language gap if the kids have a strong math background), and programming/soldering. Those aren’t fun to do if you aren’t confident it is safe for the kid to do the work.

Well, it's obvious you don't teach reading.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Just saw on the news McDonald’s is gonna phase out the self-serve soda fountains for “hygiene concerns” and staff will fill customers’s cups for them.

Lol it’s because people request a cup for water and then blatantly get 30 free refills of Coke with it and don’t try to hide it.
First off, no it isn't. It's greed. Secondly, soda is like 3 cents a gallon for them to produce. It doesn't affect me because I don't eat at McDonald's, but they can gargle my ballsack for this poo poo.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

That's what she said

:smith:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Adblock, here’s a screenshot I took of a real, actual website earlier today while browsing on my new phone which did not have an Adblock installed. I mean, it’s comical at this point. I now have Adblock set up.

Howdo you set up adblock, by the way?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

They’re going to have to actually produce something I’d be willing to watch first except for Jury Duty, which was very good

Cassandro is phenomenal.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm no expert but I do possess a handy chart.

The abbreviation key is here
https://imgur.io/ZUIdSmi

This is amazing.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Wendigee posted:

Love me an infographic that requires a secondary legend to understand it lol

Honestly, if you work with Adobe Suite at all, you don't need the guide to know what it's referencing.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Triikan posted:

Remember when some people were burning podcasts onto cds, so the podcasts limited themselves to 74 minutes?

Please tell me you made this up.

edit: apparently yes but apparently no

Random Stranger posted:

I used to do that because my car only had a cd player and I could only play them through a computer.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

pencilhands posted:

gloomhaven owns

At least it did.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I guess Far Cry 7 will have a 24 hour countdown to complete the game, which I’m salty about. Who wants to have a “Time left to have fun” component to a game?

Oh no. Then you're really going to that the countdown timer for making fun Far Cry games already ended 11 years ago.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Hahaha oh my God, that is so heinous. How wide spread is this?

Every major sport in the entire country, year-round.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I have a Pinterest account for my work email because I like/ liked getting ideas for lessons, but after they started emailing me about EVERY possible category I showed interest in, resulting in 5+ emails a day, I went in and disabled notifications.

It stopped for a week, then they started sending them again, like I’d never asked them to stop.

The future is so stupid. I think companies just realized that what the customer thinks doesn’t matter, it’s the stockholders.

I will say that spammers' cavalier disregard for unsubscribe requests was the impetus for me finally learning how Rules work in Outlook.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

It's about spooky stuff (https://www.youtube.com/@ReignBot, we're on a break right now doing other stuff) although my wife was a baker for a Japanese bakery for a while, so she does have bread experience. My av comes from a love of Japanese pro wrestler Satoshi Kojima, and his love affair with bread.

https://twitter.com/cozy_lariat/status/1517996360183681024?lang=en

That dude seems delightful. If you ain't buttering your bread, the calories have already won.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Virigoth posted:

IPAs ruined beer culture just like all those bourbon assholes and now there is peanut butter bourbon or some poo poo. If you want to get hosed up take a shot and then drink a good beer as your normal instead of SUPER DOUBLE 24 HOUR IPA RASPUTIN BOMB WITH HABANERO or whatever.

It is absolutely loving wild how everything is candy flavored now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Virigoth posted:

lol Chipotle is raising their prices again.

Well, I'm glad they're at least acknowledging the increased cost of living and are putting that money towards employee wa-

*Hand to earpiece*

... ah.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

I've been buying bacon again after taking a break from it for a few years and none of the three brands I've tried have cleanly cut slices anymore. It looks normal in the package, but attempting to take some out results in it pulling apart into a stringy mess of shredded meat. The resulting tiny bits of cooked bacon still work for sandwiches, but WTF.

Not to mention a small pack is like $9 now. Guess that's another grocery staple getting moved to the "special occasions only" list.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Tarkus posted:

That's OK, none of us will be alive to see the better times. Better?

Nobody will.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Less than Jake was coming around last year, so I popped online to buy tickets.
$30 each, not bad. Then I went to check out and the total cost was $97 for 2 tickets because of the AXS fees.
I went down to the venue and got them for face value.

All these year and they still haven't equaled Jake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

wash bucket posted:

Generations of people seem to be be skilled at whatever technology was kind of unreliable and complicated in their lifetimes. My dad knows a lot about cars because back in his day you had to get under the hood and fix them a lot. But now they're more reliable, people spend much less time working on their own cars, and most people probably can't change the oil in a car these days.

Similarly, I know a lot about computers because when I was younger they were fiddly and complicated and you had to spend a lot of time messing with settings and files to use them. But in a post iPhone/tablet world you don't really need to do that anymore.

So the more mature and reliable a given technology is the less skilled people have to be to use it.

You know what? That makes perfect sense, and I honestly never thought about it like that.