Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm tagging this tech because internet/app stuff does this all the time for the last few years but welcome to hear anything getting worse purely for The Algorithm or other dumb reasons

--the "images" button on Google is now placed randomly in a list of hashtags they think you should click
--almost every streaming service puts "continue watching" behind the fold (makes you go find it by hitting down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
--google doesn't put the wikipedia page anywhere consistent anymore. Sometimes an info block based on the wiki article with the link, sometimes a similar one without a link, sometimes the wikipedia article is 3/4 down the page

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
YouTube search gives you maybe one or two results directly related to your search, the rest are very vaguely related, and there's no way to simply request more results for the words you searched. This is at least true on my TV's app. Videos I used to be able to look up by name don't even show up any more without like adding the account name. :wtc:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Saalkin posted:

Everytime I've gone to save an image off the internet for a dumb Photoshop it saves as an internet file instead of a dang jpeg

Oh yeah, Webp files! Which places like imgur refuse to allow upload of years after they started showing up.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
all the major food delivery apps spent a few years competing to have better UI/features than eachother and the last few years systematically removing those features and making their search less useful

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Spinz posted:

Discord instead of here

Arrrgghhhhhh

I'm assuming you mean people using Discord instead of this place and I agree.

But take heart, because I'm pretty sure Discord is just in the "keep making it better" phase still where it's kept afloat by investor money. I have hope more people will return when it inevitably becomes poo poo from a usability standpoint in a few years as the investors squeeze

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There are parts of SA that are undeniably dated or whatever, but might actually be the most functional and snappiest website I visit. It's utterly insane how pathetic the business of web design (and app design) is.

I presume it's all done at the direction of upper management at the behest of six sigma black belts. There's no way it could be so consistently poo poo across so many devices unless it was the digital equivalent of the milk aisle - intentional obfuscation of functionality that statistically shows to lead to less profitable outcomes.

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Man YouTube succumbed so quickly. Barely a year ago you used to be able to search a term and get search results related to the term you searched. Completely impossible now, it's like someone set the "how much related/sponsored content" percentage to 90 in the last few months. There is no real way to search YouTube by word anymore, period

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the way it just ends results and shows you a new section of "related searches" now after 6 already filtered results is absolutely insane to me. is there really no replacement search engine for google yet? is web hosting too expensive to do it with just normal advertising?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
removing "more results" entirely feels so insulting, it's incredible to me that apparently the MBAs that directed that decision didnt ever have to use that button :wtc:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
someone had to make the decision to make youtube only give you 6 videos semi-related to your search and no ability to dig further. that guy is worse than hitler

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just saw the "buy 5 and save" deal for the first time in my life and it was on like, a specific flavor of 8oz boar's head cheese. Who is buying 5 of those? There were only 5 on the rack!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i was in the grocery store the other day and every single bag of iceberg or romaine lettuce was wilty, there were like 20 tomatoes total, and the hot dog buns i picked in the insanely crowded aisle turned out to be over 2 weeks out of date and seriously hosed up looking when i got to the cash register

this is a fairly bougie area, and my grocery store is a Kroger offshoot, and it's been like this for like 3 years now. I understood during COVID but what the gently caress is going on that I have to go to whole foods just to buy lettuce reliably

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My SmartTV constantly runs out of memory just streaming poo poo and becomes 1% speed until I painfully navigate the menus to clear the cache

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The paramount app is the worst app in the history of streaming apps

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jelly posted:

I don't know if you mean content or utility but I've had it for like 72 hours or something and I'm already pretty unimpressed with it. My biggest draw was Lower Decks but I'll probably blast through most of the newer Star Trek content like Picard and New Worlds and then cancel it unless people tell me there's some other must watch stuff.

It's the app I hate. I'm in the midst of watching both DS9 and Voyager having finished TNG earlier this year and across my FireTV, phone, and android smart tv there is no other app that takes longer to load, that never remembers what you've watched, that plays almost a minute of unskippable ads between episodes....

gently caress, sometimes it gets stuck playing the audio from an "iCarly" trailer repeatedly over top of the star trek I'm trying to watch!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

naem posted:

curbside delivery right into the trunk of your car

just a “what’s up” nod as they wheel it out

been doing this for a while but it's still a shitshoot with how bad grocery store stock/produce has become. lots of bizarre replacements and frequently, straight up expired poo poo. like the bag of romaine i got that was already totally wilted and leaky. ftl

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
that all makes sense but just going in the store it's obvious that's rarely the real problem. the quality is shittier across the board because of supply chain poo poo/exports, and when ordering pickup have to decide whatever specific brand/format you want. and generally if all of that specific, say, bagged salad mix is grody, theyll still grab you one instead of picking a similar kind that doesn't look like poo poo.

and i doubt the kid pulling the items is taking extra time to check all 3 shelves all the way back of them in some cases for The Worst One

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Plan R posted:

Probably a Bumblebee, their lives are winding down this time of year and they'll kill their queen and then die because they don't know what to do!

how do they get their poo poo back together next year

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Armacham posted:

My wife and her family love to watch live sports. They repeat the same 6 commercials over and over again all day. I have to leave the room or the house to do something else after about 20 minutes.

Also nhl just did this last year lol
https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-fans-are-already-fed-up-with-the-new-digital-board-ads-153359581.html

quote:

"Like anything else, you're going to have your people that don't like it, that think it is difficult to watch. But over time, like everything else, people will get used to it, and we're not concerned at all whatsoever," Keith Wachtel, the NHL's chief business officer and executive vice president of global partnerships, told ESPN ahead of the season.

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like image sharing has gotten worse. wanna be able to just post images straight to discord or line etc without saving it locally first or linking the post that contains it. gonna force me to boost your engagement? how about I just not share poo poo at all bitch

I screenshot poo poo all the time now, I assume that function will disappear on phones any generation now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DrBouvenstein posted:

They're desperate attempt at trying to be some kind of actual social media site is killing it.

You can't upload images to it on mobile without the app, AFAIK. I even tried clicking the "Use Desktop Site" option in Chrome mobile, and it worked until the actual upload then it failed.

This is the bananas workaround I use:
The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

this is also how I post threads on mobile, writing it in the app first so I can use the uploader

to post videos from Instagram I have to go:

Instagram - copy url
Instagram Downloader (random ad filled android app) - download video
Imgur app - upload video and copy album url, the only one available
ImgurViewer - paste album url, select share, this gives the mp4 link

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not really thread relevant but I am very jealous of those of you that can use contacts at all. my reflexive aversion to eye touching ended in it taking 20 minutes for the eye doctor lady to put in my one and only attempt at them.

45 minutes of burning eyes at home trying to put them on the next day I ended up ripping one of them, never to try again. :rip:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
uploading images in the Android app the image picker's "recent files" is now ordered by some insane algorithm so a screenshot I just took is now halfway down the page past screenshots I took 3 days ago.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

is pepsi ok posted:

I always wonder how much of this is due to UX teams going from being a vital part of every tech company to being seen as a completely useless money sink that you should lay off to boost those profits.

Depends on the industry I'd say. A bank loving up their app could just be development problems/lack of UX.

most of the stuff that drives me crazy though, I guarantee the problem is from Sales getting final say on feature changes/removals, based on Statistics. I assume a lot of these companies still have UX teams but completely ignore what they say when there's even a chance at this quarter being 2% up revenue on data extraction sales or whatever

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Don't say this. :(

I'm waiting for the day of a TV that lacks a mute button. I bet there is some kinda patent out there.

My 2 year old cheap smartTV came without a mute button.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My local store used to have baggers on every active checkout lane. Denver added a 10c/bag plastic charge and they immediately got rid of all their baggers. I think you can get a cashier to bag but lol everyone in line behind you will be pissed if you just stand there, since everyone before and after you just bags their own.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
now you get to play the game of figuring out when to stop bagging and put your card in to optimize getting the gently caress out of that place asap

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

Put your card in? What fourth world hellscape do you live in? Tap your card when they've finished ringing you up, it takes 1.8 seconds.

To be honest with you I have never even heard of this tech, my bank never advertised it to me and my most recent card (6 months) doesn't have it. Apparently I can request one. This is going to save me dozens of seconds a month

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

Employees bagging your groceries has never made sense to me. It's one of those things that only exist in the US (maybe the UK?) and the rest of the world can live without it just fine, yet Americans make s huge deal out of it.

How often do you go to the store, out of curiosity?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

Same deal: having to return your shopping carts

People who don't put their carts back are as lovely here as they are anywhere, not sure what this has to do with country.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

I go like twice a week, but that doesn't really matter because obviously different people have different shopping habits, and bagging simply isn't available for anyone anywhere, no matter how big of small their purchases are.

My point was more about the whole "have to drive a car miles to get anywhere" thing that I feel like pushes people in parts of the country here to make less frequent trips with more stuff. Bagging a huge grocery order yourself after years of not doing it is a perfectly fine example of something getting shittier because of Business.

just because your country was always lovely in some regard doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. This thread is all about minor inconveniences!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

And my point is it's not lovely, lol, it's the opposite.

what you said was that people "can live without it just fine", and that it was strange to you, someone who apparently never had it in the first place.

The change happened entirely so that a business that's already hiking up prices purely for profit can stop paying a few minimum wage employees. It's lovely.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Jesus that's an enraging corporate communication

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

Expecting stores to pack your bags is like expecting waitstaff to cut up your food for you.

Starting to think you're actually mad jealous we ever had baggers in the first place. start up a petition in your country to make it a thing imo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

withak posted:

Only cave men listen to radio in the year 2023.

i don't have to drive very much (like 5-10 minutes at a time) so i don't gently caress with pulling out my phone and getting the Bluetooth connected and opening Spotify and selecting something

when I had a real commute of course I bothered but now I hear 15 minutes of radio a week instead.

2 sets of 6 presets and I only have to go to the second set to find a single station playing music about half the time :dings:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
imgur not accepting webp has to be a willful decision at this point and I would love to know who and why

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teen witch posted:

Honestly Imgur as a whole needs to be tossed

“We have a service that works well and people like. gently caress that, let’s be Reddit but shittier instead”

I think the problem is 20 years on, still no company has figured out how to provide free image hosting without doing so at a loss. Eventually the bill comes due and the site either becomes horrible or just suddenly dies

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Discord provides free image hosting amongst many other things that cost bandwidth and I am interested to see how they explode after the IPO forces them to try and do something other than burn through venture capital money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teen witch posted:

Completely understandable, but why turn the site into Great Value Reddit

That I couldn't tell you. Even reddit isn't profitable at being reddit