Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

funeral home DJ posted:

No poo poo take a walk through your local big-box hardware store and look at the hosed-up chunks of wood they call "lumber". It's hilarious how badly warped the wood is and how impossible it makes it to fix dumb poo poo.

The last time I bought wood to build a workbench, even the plywood wasn't close to being rectangular. Then when I got it all assembled and started applying stain it was covered in hundreds of oily boot prints that were invisible before and too deep into the wood to sand away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Everyone knows that the search built into Windows sucks, but for the past couple of months it's been "they have to be loving this up on purpose to screw with people" bad. No matter what I search for it only ever finds completely unrelated files, even if I search for a character exact file name. Oh, you can't remember where you left that floppy image you know for certain is named "Microsoft Golf 2.0.img"? Okay fucko, have a Witchfinder General album and a 19 year old WinRAR installer! Totally random poo poo every time I try.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

I can't remember -- did they... "skip" Windows 9?

Maybe people would confuse it with Windows 95 / 98?

edit: and why did they go with Windows 10 and not something cool like Windows X?

It was something to do with Windows9x internally identifying itself as "win9" to other programs but I forget exactly how it didn't work.

Edit: the compatibility issue shown in the link above sounds more accurate than what I'm remembering.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 6, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Koburn posted:

Truth. I've been using an old Sansa Clip and it's constantly breaking in new and exciting ways, but there's nothing to replace it with.

The Clip is still in production, but I can't vouch for whether or not they made the new ones suck.

I have an old one with Rockbox firmware that I still use for listening to audiobooks in bed. I have no idea how the battery still holds a charge, but it does.

Edit: this right here, the MuVo, was the pinnacle of MP3 player design. No cables needed, just slide the halves apart and plug it in like a flash drive. No dumb software needed to add music, just copy and paste. No internal battery to poo poo the bed, it runs for ~20 hours on a rechargeable AAA.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 6, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I wish non-Bluetooth wireless headphones would come back.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My parents ended up with cases of mystery Cyrillic cans that were being thrown out, and it turned out to be a few hundred cans of surprisingly palatable vegetable beef soup. I don't know if someone happened across a warehouse of canned food that fell off a boat in the 1980s or what, but they're showing up in more than one place.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of the ATMs near me have turned to poo poo. I used to be able to go up to one and get a $20 and leave in like 15 seconds. Now they're all touchscreen fuckfests so people with visual impairments can't use them and take 10+ seconds to respond to each button press with no indication that the press even registered. So yeah, they also do the thing where if you press the button again because you think it didn't register it suddenly accepts it as multiple button presses in a row with no way of stopping it and next thing you know you're printing a bunch of paper poo poo you don't want and withdrawing from the wrong account.

A lot of the restaurants near me are cash only and now I barely go to even the places I like a lot because the ATM pisses me off every time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My octogenarian downstairs neighbor had to buy his first ever mobile phone earlier this year and learn how to use it so he could make appointments to do basically anything anymore. I routinely hear things like gently caress YOUR APP coming up through the floor.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It was just amazing/reassuring to see him go from having never touched a smartphone to being on the same page as everyone else about app shittification in the span of four months. I think he went into it with the assumption that there'd be a standardized way of doing things and he just needed to get with the times.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 17, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

E: nah this sucks too much

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 19, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

YouTube increased the thumbnail size again so only 6 videos fit on my monitor, videos that are marked as being shorts are a separate feed instead of being part of the same timeline as everything else, and even if I decided I wanted to pay money for YouTube I can't find the button to do so or even a description of what that does.

Total mystery why most people don't pay for it, though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's anything like the fake rubber coating that was ubiquitous on late 90s electronics, rubbing alcohol will take care of it. It'll destroy whatever is left of it but a destroyed finish is better than that sticky crap.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wanna hear more about this coffee maker.

It's a vending machine like this.

But with the coin slot covered up and connected to a screen and fingerprint reader on the counter next to it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Someone in another thread referred to fake "tear here" marks as liar packaging, and that's the term I've used since.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I briefly worked at a place that made little bags of pepperoni and standard operating procedure for dealing with bags of moldy or rotten beef and pork was to mix it in with a few good batches and hope nobody noticed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My solution for YouTube was to adblock the recommendations and comments completely and never interact with it outside of my subscription feed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The worst offenders are people that install LEDs in their pickup or other tall vehicle and don't bother changing the reflector housing or adjusting the aim at all. If you're in a regular car not only are you looking into the brightness of three suns, it's coming straight at you at directly eye level too.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cerekk posted:

also gently caress the poor

Here in Iowa, bills keep being introduced to make it so people buying groceries with SNAP/EBT can't buy fresh meat, only canned. Even though we are the land of pigs and a pound of fresh pork is less than half the price of something like a pound of Spam. Our representatives don't even pretend to have a reason other than "lol go gently caress yourself".

Edit: plain flour is also being proposed as a non-eligible luxury item.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 31, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The convenience store closest to me has raised prices on 20 oz bottles of soda so much that they are now identical in price to a 2 liter. I'll never get through 2 liters of cola before it goes flat because I only use small amounts of it for occasional lovely mixed drinks, but I still feel compelled to get the 2 liter and lug the bastard home so I don't feel like I'm "wasting money".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Monarchs and fireflies were both everywhere all summer when I was a kid. I haven't seen a single one in at least 10 years.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you do find something actually useful on Wikia, there's a 90% chance it's copy/pasted from a different wiki not affiliated with them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

To be honest with you I have never even heard of this tech, my bank never advertised it to me and my most recent card (6 months) doesn't have it. Apparently I can request one. This is going to save me dozens of seconds a month

My bank's cards support contactless payment and I didn't know until a couple of months ago when I tried it on a whim. My bank mentions this feature nowhere and there's no indication of it on the card itself.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

LimaBiker posted:

Or, the same but with a backpack if you cycle to the shop.

Stores here have started putting up NO BACKPACKS ALLOWED signs. They have no problem at all with my messenger bag, so I think it's purely to gently caress with people rather than a performative loss prevention thing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The grocery store I go to keeps the bags behind the counter, to make extra sure nobody bags their own poo poo.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't like to self-quote but it's been something on my mind a lot lately.

Dip Viscous posted:

I've known a depressing number of people that think that getting a new dog every 6-8 months after losing the previous one is just a normal thing that everyone does. They get a dog and then basically never interact with it again beyond leaving out food for it. Then it gets hit by a car or someone gets sick of the dog wandering around at large attacking people and makes it disappear and they go "well that's life" and get another.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I gave up on finding mobile games that a) are actual games instead of numbers going up and b) let me actually play them and installed a Game Boy emulator instead. Currently working my way through Mole Mania.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Grocery store poo poo-tier bread loaves now come with an odd number of slices. The total weight didn't even change, they are just willingly slicing it wrong.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

I knew someone that worked at Circuit City during this era. They had "recycle bins" for dropping off the dead discs, but the company never implemented any recycling program at all. They filled up and the entire displays sat in the stockroom for years until someone hucked them out with the regular trash when nobody was looking.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Learned helplessness. Any obstacle, either ask for help or better yet get very angry and loud and then people will come to soothe you and do the thing for you.

I miss the days of being able to "fix" computers, TVs, and other electronics for people by reading the words on the screen out loud to them. These day if a grandparent asks for help with Facebook or voice controlled microwave oven or toilet that needs an app to flush it I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Earbuds are all too large now. I get that people come in different sizes, but AirPods are like 4 times larger than something that can fit into my ear. They come out caked in blood. Are all earbuds now engineered by 11 foot tall people and most just don't admit that they hurt?

This wasn't an issue in the 80s and 90s. What changed? Did the average adult really change that much?

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 1, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

*app is lovely and designed for mobile so the desktop web sucks. oh and the mobile app sucks too because only poo poo is form input on even a tablet + keyboard a lovely UX*

Sites where the desktop version has a hamburger menu like a mobile app, but closing the menu just replaces it with blank space. What's wrong with always showing the menu? My monitor is only 1920x1080 and I don't even run my browser fullscreen but so many sites crush everything into a tiny column that fills 30% of the window for no reason.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just checked my YouTube home page for the first time in years to see how bad it's gotten, and 90% of it is videos I've already watched. The remaining 10% is stuff like clips from obscure movies and mechanics working on minivans. I guess that I successfully confused the hell out of it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

And you walk around a person going 0.003 mph on the sidewalk, not looking up, not saying anything, not making eye contact, they act like YOU are the rear end in a top hat.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Carwash oval office posted:

I’m still getting high school students who have been “homeschooled” through Covid, who can’t write their names or interact with people, but they have no history in the system so there is no support provided.

I voluntarily homeschooled myself from ages 15-17 because the schools were just that lovely. I looked at homeschool student groups in an attempt to be normal at socializing and the kids that had it done to them as a religious thing were almost universally illiterate.

Edit: like it was a net gain being around them and they were decent people, but it was bizarre trying to show them an RPG i was working through on my Game Boy Advance and them just being like "this has words".

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

erosion posted:

I've been using Motorola this whole time and you know what? Pretty much no complaints. Good bang for the buck.

I was really happy with my Moto G Power. Great battery life, only one non-removable Motorola app that is easy to ignore, and it was $50 after a rebate. Then they stopped doing security updates 5 months after got it, when the phone had only been on the market for a year and a half. And of course it's one of the few Motorola phones that can't run LineageOS.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The paper for my area isn't completely awful content yet, but the more subscribers they lose the more they raise the price. At this point it's $40 a month and on days they arbitrary declare to be "premium editions" they tack on an extra $8 to your bill without asking.

When I attempted to unsubscribe I was on hold for over an hour and then got connected to a customer service rep that had never heard of that newspaper and had no idea what I was talking about.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've seen someone simply push their cart right past the self checkouts and leave. The employee that saw them turned around and pretended to look at their phone.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hotels can't charge you arbitrary bullshit fees if you pay for the booking online with a single use burner card number. I'm not going to steal poo poo or make a mess but if you want to charge me $20 for using a towel you can go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of the AirBNBs near me are things like $700 a night to stay in an RV parked in some guy's barn. The only explanation I can think of is that nobody actually stays in them and it's all for money laundering.