Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No Bill, don't let Hank take advantage of you like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

you broke my grill posted:

on windows 11 when I right click I then have to click see more options to see more options but windows used to just show me all the options by default

i don't like it when they change things

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/disable-show-more-options-context-menu-in-windows-11.1589

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I used to pick up some of the Michelina's frozen pastas, as they were a decent late night stack. They recently tweaked their packaging, but looks like they also changed the food because they are inedible now. The spag comes out like soup, the rotini comes out like drywall filler. Mac and cheese turns into a giant lump.

Any and every time you see a label saying "New and Improved! Now better than ever!", that's code for "We have discovered new ingredients that make this product significantly worse, but it saves us 2-cents in manufacturing."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Horrocks? Pfft, it's no Bronffmans Food Barn.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Moon Monster posted:

People who think Wegmen's and Horrock's are any good have clearly never shopped at Glerbmund's

I heard Glerbmund's was employing underage kids to work under the checkout counter. They make them lay on their back with their feet in the air, and they move the conveyor belts Flintstones style.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Alright, no global politics. Universe Politics it is!

Did you guys here what High Advisor Shmelpo from Andromeda has been saying, ever since the Black Council outlawed feet pics on the ExoData-Strand that feature more than 27 toes?! Heh, bet the Gwags from Elesian were pissed about that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here in the Tri-City area, residents should prepare for a BOMB TORRENT of rain! The ATMOSPHERIC RIVER will deluge us in near record amounts of light mist. A tough time for locals, who just recovered from this last winters SNOWMAGEDDON, in which we were buried under literal INCHES of snow. In the long range forecast, the literal end times of rain will clear up and make way for sun, which will be a UV-POCALYPSE for our region! Put on the sunblock folks, temps my crack the high SINGLE DIGITS!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is a weird one, but I just got one of those spam "Hot woman in YOUR AREA!" emails. Except this one was "With the WAR II UKRAINE going on, many people have been displaced. Up to 80,000 people have left Ukraine for your country. Do you want to BANG hot Ukrainian refugees? Click below to see these sad, HORNY ladies with no home!"

They somehow made spam emails worse.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did the crisping sleeve actually do anything? I don't recall any other microwave item ever coming with a crisping sleeve, so I doubt the scientists at Hot Pocket Labs were the sole discoverers of a magical crisping device.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Beastie posted:

Starved Rock is gorgeous! Seriously people, look up what it looks like and then look up what the Shawnee Forest looks like, it will change your perception of Illinois.

... do people have a perception of Illinois?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I have to admit, whenever I get a handwritten letter or lengthy note, the first thought that crosses my mind isn't "Oh, they took the time to personally hand-write this!", instead it's " ... is this person crazy?"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A Strange Aeon posted:

Of course it's not super popular but I don't think anything has changed in the usefulness of having an international secondary language.

You are technically correct that its usefulness as an international secondary language hasn't changed, in that it was never useful and has remained that way ever since.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
MCDONALDS!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ghost emoji posted:

So many restaurants around here don't even have delivery drivers anymore. You call in to order delivery and they're like "oh we're on Ubereats/Postmates/etc" instead. I can't see how that's saving them money long-term.

Well, the fact that 90% of those restaurants never delivered before 3rd party delivery, it's opened a whole new revenue stream. Back in the day, depending on where you lived, you could basically get pizza or chinese delivered, that was it. The cut that the delivery companies take is often less than paying for a delivery driver as well, especially if they would've had to employ multiple drivers prior. Delivery times are better as well. Instead of waiting for an in-house driver get back from an existing delivery, 3rd parties just show up as soon as an order is ready to go.

I'm not going to listen to restaurant owners crying doom and gloom that "these delivery services will run us out of business from fees". Just like they plead poverty and that their greedy employees will run them out of business by daring to ask for higher wages.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I read something a little while back that in a lot of places, pay for vets is poo poo. And in some places like here in Canada, it can be very difficult to get a vet education. There are only 5 vet schools in the entire country here, so several provinces don't have one at all. Here in BC, while there may be a vet school in Alberta, the closest one that accepts BC students is in Saskatchewan, half way across the country.

There's also few of the safety nets and financial helpers for vets that normal doctors are privilege to. That's why so many vets charge exorbitant fees, because everything in their clinic is paid for out of pocket. If you don't have your Pangolin MRI Machine, well, the vet down the street will get one and there goes all your business.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

credburn posted:

My phone doesn't charge very fast anymore. It used to be a real whip, like an hour to go from empty to full. Now, when I plug it in at 27% it says it'll take 1.5 hours. But then it says it'll take 2.5 hours. Then it says it'll take 5.5 hours. It's charging barely faster than it's draining at this point. Sometimes it still charges fast, but I can't figure out why. It being on or off doesn't seem to affect it.

Maybe time to replace the battery, if that's possible with your model.

I recently replaced the battery on my Samsung S8, which is otherwise still trooping after all this time. I wouldn't say it was easy to replace, but it wasn't all that hard either. iFixit will probably have a guide or two showing how difficult it might be to replace the battery on your model.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

purplestuffedworm posted:

... if they decide you're guilty you're permanently inadmissible to the US.

So at least something positive comes out of the process.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Companies enter record 482th year straight of not doing the right thing after POTUS asks them to do the right thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dreezy posted:

what if we gave joe biden a gun and let him loose

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wash bucket posted:

My city discontinued its recycling services because it wasn’t profitable anymore. Guess I misunderstood the point of all that.

It was only ever profitable because China used to buy everyone's recycling (and then just dump it in a Chinese landfill). Then China went to not paying, but they would still take it, to now where they won't take it at all.

Actual literal "recycling" of plastics and waste has never really been a thing in North America. We just dumped the problem on some other country. We really only do paper and metal recycling here, and glass in decreasing numbers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Philthy posted:

guess that explains why i was drug tested before a major surgery

Everyone is. There are a surprising number of people that think doing a few rails right before surgery is the perfect thing to get ready for it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A&W up here in Canada used to be a step up in fast food. And then they started pricing themselves accordingly. Then above accordingly. And now their burgers taste like poo poo. A winning formula!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrBouvenstein posted:

To go against the spirit of the thread, a company I'm surprised is still making decent products for what I consider to be decent prices is OXO.

Whom amongst us doesn't have at least one Good Grips product in their kitchen drawers? You can get a decent can opener or garlic press for under $20.

I assume I've now jinxed it, and OXO will be sold to some venture capital firm who will strip it for the copper in the walls.

All of the "soft touch" coatings on my Oxo Good-Grips items have started to turn back into oil, so I'm ditching the lot and going back to stainless.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wash bucket posted:

For what it’s worth that’s not a problem unique to them. Almost everything I’ve owned coated in soft touch plastic has turned to snot after about 10 years.

I first experienced the phenomenon about a year ago when I dug out my flight stick for sims, wrapped my hand around the stick, and it fell like bare-handing the floor of a well used movie theatre. Recoiled like a snake bit me.

Took a few hours and got it cleaned up with some acetone, but I'm sure it'll start sweating goo out of the grips again at some point.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think the borosilicate issue is mostly companies being lovely, but I think there is also a genuine supply issue in north america as well. I've heard people working in labs talking about it becoming harder to get genuine borosilicate lab-grade glassware as well, and some having to import it from overseas.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My local grocery store has in-store pickers for pickup orders, but they make random delivery people pick your order if you are having it delivered.

So if you use that option, you get endless texts from the delivery person going "... uhhhh.... uhhhh.... they don't have the tortillas you wanted. Do you want me to sub it with hot-dog buns? Oh, and they were out of the club-pack of chicken breasts, so I'll sub it with some pepperoni sticks."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LividLiquid posted:

The nice thing about when something doesn't work is that you can fix it.

That used to be why I preferred Windows to Mac, but like, you just can't do that poo poo anymore. It's their OS and you'll use it their loving way or you can gently caress off.

Like what, though? There's very little even in Win11 that you can't tweak or alter in some way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LividLiquid posted:

I built my video editing PC one year ago using pretty near-enough-to-top-of-the-line poo poo and Win 10 says I'm not good enough for 11, so I quite seriously don't understand who it's for.

The most likely culprit is TPM, whether physical or virtual, is not enabled in BIOS. That right there will stop Win10 from upgrading to 11.

If you open the run dialog and enter "tpm.msc" without quotes, the popup window will tell if you TPM is enabled or not. If not, you can then find guides for your specific mobo/bios to enable it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I've always appreciated SA for being the internets #1 site for Folklore & Mythology.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The funniest thing, with the consolidation of manufacturing overseas, almost everything in a given market sector is made by one or two companies.

There are tons of TV brands out there, but all the panels in the tv's are made by 2 or 3 companies. You want a high quality DeWalt tool, or a gob-smackingly bad Frabtrell Junius tool? All made in the same factory.

So this means it's not some young, inexperienced company making bad products simply from lack of history in the market. It's the big experienced companies building in the shittiness on purpose.

"Okay, we built some great Milwaukee tools on the line today. Let's switch the line over to the bad molds and the poo poo plastic and build some trash. Oh, and you guys over in electronics, remember I want lovely motors in these things and the coldest solder joints. If these drills aren't smoking after 5 minutes of use, then we haven't done our jobs here at Wong-Hai Industrial Concern."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lavender Spliffs posted:

That might be bottled/canned vs fountain drink suppliers too.

I think it's a regional thing. A&W here in Canada split from A&W in the US long ago. And Yum Brands is definitely a thing here in Canada, so the Pepsico branch might be the Canadian (and overseas) brands.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No AI will ever learn to bitch as much or be entitled as much as a real nurse. Science can never replicate what they've already perfected.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mobby_6kl posted:

Also does anyone have the video from a truck waiting at maybe a stop light, when it later shows there was an entire Corvette hiding in the blind spot in front of it?

When they say to attack and dethrone god, this is the vehicle you're supposed to attack with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MikeJF posted:

Retroreflective panels. They're very common, I'm surprised their use is limited enough in the US you identify them with Seattle.

Their use seems to vary hugely, even within the same region. Here in the Vancouver surrounds, you'll see roads that use these every three feet, roads that just have them in the midpoint between lengths of road lines, roads that don't have them at all, and and and on with 20 different varieties of marker depending where you are. There doesn't seem to be an codified system of use, just whatever was in fashion when the road was built.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

euphronius posted:

I’ve mostly given up on the idea of printing things. Way too complicated

Kind of in the same boat. Just too much trouble right now. I want the fidelity of resin printing, with extremely low failure rates, and no cleanup or post-curing. If they get to the point where you can load a model, hit print, and it spits out a ready to go model, with no further input or post care needed, I might jump in then.

But regular paper printing? Ugh, never.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mawarannahr posted:

What is a plastic recycling bag?

A plastic bag this is designed to decay into microplastics.

As opposed to all the other plastic bags, which decay into microplastics on their own.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mawarannahr posted:

You should not be bagging your recyclables, at least not anywhere I have heard of.

It's not for bagging recyclables, it's designed so the bag itself decays when you throw it away.

They suck, and they have a shelf life of about 6 months. After which you go to grab a bag and it crumbles in your hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Duck and Cover posted:

Is clam chowder a chili?

It's a Chlammi.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The one thing I really don't get about Amazon is okay, you're going to put your recommended products as the first options in search results. But why do the number of search results change if I change the sort order?!

Search t-shirt, get 5000 results. Change sorting from default to anything else, now there are 487 results. WTF?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

satanic splash-back posted:

The "everything on Amazon is counterfeit" view is an excellent propaganda campaign by their competitors

It isn't, because outside of designer goods and high end electronics, no one cares if their products are counterfeit.

The only factor for 99% of goods is price and availability, and in those arenas they largely can't be beat. Even when it comes to price, people are willing to pay a little more if Amazon can drop the product on their doorstep next day, rather than driving to a store 10 minutes away.