Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

I read that all in Andy Rooney’s voice

E.

who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

While that's true, there is a minimum weight per gallon that the FDA allows for anything labeled "ice cream," so I'm sure you'll see more brands move to dubious naming schemes like "ice creem" (frozen dairy dessert) in the future.

breyers did this years ago!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ugh I'm going to wait as long as possible to get another car because I'll have to hack it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Cars in 2009 had basically none of the modern safety or ease of use features. Blind spot monitor, cross-traffic warning, pedestrian detection, all no. Lane keeping and auto braking, also no. Lane departure warning and obstacle detection, maybe, barely, on high end luxury cars only, and it was dogshit. No android auto/car play, no voice commands. Suction cup a TomTom to your windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter to navigate anywhere.

Old cars suck poo poo. Get something that drives itself and you will never go back. If you hate cars that don't have physical buttons for important stuff, get a Mazda.

wow elon still posts here?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Raged posted:

After living in Australia for almost 22 years and raising a daughter I am going to have to leave the country and not get perm residency. Good times.

drat. I think you win the thread. goondolences.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cerekk posted:

I bought a 22mm wrench but it's actually 21.7mm and doesn't fit on the 22mm fitting that I need to use it on.

get a blowtorch noob

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

What does dropship mean

https://i.imgur.io/TmBSIqU.mp4

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I am a D&D DM and make everyone do everything on paper so people aren’t distracted by their phones. I have a laser printer entirely to facilitate that.

o7

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Barudak posted:

I know the article goes for the Algorithm, but the "Algorithm" is corporate suite tummy-feels and attempts to avoid invoking their wrath. I've done this work before for numerous businesses, it starts with a specific site or type of site blocked and then a request to include them and after enough companies get the same tummy-feel pressure there becomes a list at an ad server level. Theres no "algorithm", just a mashed table of "no one in corporate will complain if you block this" and" will potentially scream bloody murder if you don't".

Edit: I once had to pull a list of more than 4 thousand websites for a corporate exec to trawl through so they could line by line strike out the ones they didn't like.

this is a great example (among many) of AI as a fig leaf for cultural bias and collusion

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

They are right

trash removal should be a municipal service. private for profit companies are just another leech on the system.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I would never go in target in the first place

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Aldis is somehow the worst of all possible scenarios

very german.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Exhibit A, poor performing headlights.

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

teen witch posted:

This is my foundational hummus recipe.

From there, I tweak to my preference, which is essentially the following:

lol and thank you. i've been eating a lot of hummus lately and wanted to start making it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Aramis posted:

Montreal-style bagel

just another example of enshittification.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Szechwan posted:

On the bagel topic, it's likely been mentioned but I just want to vent about this Whipped Cream Cheese poo poo showing up everywhere.

We're not stupid, we know whipped just = more air and less product. Started with the Breyers ice cream and now all kinds of poo poo have adopted it.

they can't even call it ice cream anymore. lmao.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

loving pointless e-waste. Bought a pack of 3 pregnancy tests, the first two (normal ones) worked perfectly. The last one was a digital one, which thought about the whole process for a while and then gave me a picture of the instruction manual. Apparently I didn't tilt it correctly or count the seconds right or something.

Thanks. What a piece of junk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWDLX93CNM

Look at all this poo poo! and it didn't even work!

I hope you got the result you wanted on the first two tests!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Not exactly. :( Miscarried at 6-10 weeks so I'd been saving this one, which is why I'm doubly pissed off it didn't work! I'm just gonna buy the ones next time which look like pool-test strips instead of this branded garbage.

:( goondolences.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cerekk posted:

The US has a pro soccer league which I think is technically profitable? It is just a distant 6th or 7th place in popularity.

They've got a dual problem breaking through--they're not popular, so the best athletes in the US play something else; and when they do convert someone to soccer fandom, some of those fans end up following better leagues. But it is growing, especially among young people, so it will probably eventually be a genuine success, especially as high school football continues to decline. Turns out the whole CTE thing makes some parents hesitant to let their kids play football.

i thought MLS was a pyramid scheme that survives by adding new teams?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

ms is taking that ability away . It is generally hard to do now

Everything is preferenced to the cloud

You can’t set up word it automatically save locally anymore !!!

My work laptops “desktop” space is actually a one drive space !!!

It makes it very hard to work with no internet connection (you can’t )

i hate this. and outlook used to prioritize and show your most recent local documents for email attachments but it doesn't anymore :argh:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Vacant professorships will be filled with Quad-Adjunct Voltrons

101 classes are going to be taught remotely by AI-generated video.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Saying FOSS Software is like saying ATM Machine :colbert:

nothing is safe from enshittification...

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

quote:

Google sucks so much now because around a decade ago, they abandoned the measurement known as "Page Utility" which just measured the usefulness of the site itself.

Instead, they migrated to "Expertise-Authority-Trust" which had good intentions of stopping the proliferation of bad info, but instead it basically resulted in prioritizing large corporations and capital over any sites created by average people.

The contract workers known as "raters" they employed to help determine the best search results became an echo chamber, as there were strict demands on exactly what the right answers were in most cases, and straying from the expectations of Big G resulted in poor reviews and possible firing. Of course, we were not allowed to say the G word - we could only say "The Client."

It's about to get worse, too - they just laid off a huge swathe of them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

thathonkey posted:

another thing ive noticed getting shittier is now a lot of restaurants (more casual / fast food type places) dont even have their menu online per se... they make you essentially begin a delivery order instead and thats the only way to browse the menu

they want to do individual and surge pricing like Amazon

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Ah, the evergreen "which corn syrup-based stimulant beverage is the best" debate, a truly timeless goon derail.

They're all loving vile and bad for you imo.

fair trade certified coffee stays winning.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Biplane posted:

Just lol if you don't think there's a guy at Amazon furiously jerking off to alexa recordings.

it's bezos

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bradzilla posted:

shortform, rapid fire videos feel like they're inducing brain cancer

long live the new flesh.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Outrail posted:

If you think of doctors as basically diagnostic uengineers or mechanics the last couple pages start to make a little more sense.

doctors are skilled labor

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Complaining (or complimenting) about the American education system is futile because no such thing exists. At best there are state level education systems and even they are often more vague figureheads for whatever county/city government runs an areas schools. Just a complete madhouse of organizing. And that’s before you get into the private/charter nonsense.

this is clearly the best and only possibility

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

for its faults the InstantPot sure seemed to get a lot of people I knew into cooking cheaper foods/basics

too bad a pot roast is like $30 now ($28.74 for a 4 lb one from Wal Mart as per my last receipt).

it's definitely still cheaper to cook for yourself but the price fixing amongst meat packers + grocery stores going crazy has made some of the stuff that was much cheaper to cook yourself just permanently expensive

life hack: don't eat meat

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

The best part of one drive is if the internet is down you can’t do any work .

That is literally good I’m not being sarcastic

accelerationism ftw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

You can't search for Hitler on tenorGIF anymore

e: Stalin still works, thank god

tenorgif... welcome to the resistance

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

UFOTacoMan posted:

can't wait for The Crow Soundtrack 2

judgment night remake when

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

They painted a message on the road near a school telling people not to stop there (because parents are always just stopping in the middle of the road to pick up their kids) except they did it like this:

STOP

NOT

DO

And now my brain goes "STOP NOT DO!" every time I pass it.

at these words, banzan was enlightened.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

What could that shirt mean ?

i think it's just ancient viking symbols

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Google wasn’t even good in terms of accuracy it was easy to use, looked nice and had no or minor ads (lol)

The past 20 years is an excellent example of capitalism killing a public good

many such cases!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Everyone I know with kids is getting squeezed by this. It's a huge problem right up there with housing costs. This is exactly the poo poo that will make people stop having kids.

I remember when overpopulation was the complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

USA life expectancy is plummeting which is good news for social security etc (not good news overall obv)

must cut! no retirement!