Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

pubes getting gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I presume it's all done at the direction of upper management at the behest of six sigma black belts. There's no way it could be so consistently poo poo across so many devices unless it was the digital equivalent of the milk aisle - intentional obfuscation of functionality that statistically shows to lead to less profitable outcomes.

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

I'm a phone dev. Redesigns are because executives or middle managers get bored and want to point at something and say "I did that"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It really is that dumb and bad and since UI is the visible part it's a "big" change they can pat themselves on the back for

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Carlos Lantana posted:

Pringles are tiny and they hosed up the flavor
All snack food flavor seems kind of vile and overwrought. Like some fundamental change to a base ingredient.

Stax are better. They taste the same but theyre thicker

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

line em up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My iphone is only a little attractive but it's an older model. It more than makes up for it with experience

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Have you seen the size of the bezel on those things :heysexy:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Further Reading posted:

My work made me use some crappy customer service program to talk to clients. Its text input is coded in some convoluted way that my browser's spellcheck doesn't recognise it as a text input and won't flag my terrible spelling.

Also it uses text hot keys for everything, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't also keep the cursor flashing so you think it's in focus until suddenly you've unfurled a bunch of drop downs instead of writing a sentence.

I have to write all my replies into a Google doc and copy/paste it into the text box.

have you considered just doing a lovely job and blaming the computer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dip Viscous posted:

The Clip is still in production, but I can't vouch for whether or not they made the new ones suck.

I have an old one with Rockbox firmware that I still use for listening to audiobooks in bed. I have no idea how the battery still holds a charge, but it does.

Edit: this right here, the MuVo, was the pinnacle of MP3 player design. No cables needed, just slide the halves apart and plug it in like a flash drive. No dumb software needed to add music, just copy and paste. No internal battery to poo poo the bed, it runs for ~20 hours on a rechargeable AAA.

i had one of these and i loving loved it. great design. amazing player for its era. mine wasn't fancy enough for an LCD though, it just had hardware buttons

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Elder Postsman posted:

I want to find the person who invented infinite scrolling, throw them in a pit and then fill it with gravel.

When you're done I want to piss in the gravel pit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It means they touch a computer OP

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

steinrokkan posted:

There was a recent poll I think on Discogs asking if people were actually listening to the records they were buying, and even in that self-selected enthusiast community most answered that they weren't, or only very occasionally, and a sizable share didn't even own a record player. I think that goes a long way to explain why publishers wouldn't be very concerned about quality.

Lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

euphronius posted:

we will tell our grandkids about the www and they won’t believe us

Let's get you to bed grandpa

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hot brains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Its simple, make money until your popularity wanes. Then sic the lampreys on your corporate corpse until there's nothing left but bone fragments (retail shareholders)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dip Viscous posted:

Monarchs and fireflies were both everywhere all summer when I was a kid. I haven't seen a single one in at least 10 years.

hvae you checked outside

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

aniviron posted:

Well goons, you're not going totally demented or wearing rose tinted glasses about insects, some studies peg the loss of insect biomass in the last 30 years as about 75%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_insect_populations There's wiggle room as to how much decline there is, but ultimately it's a loving lot. Most people don't care because bugs are gross, but they are kind of important for the planet.

did the bug freak obsessed scientists look outside?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I can't emphasize this enough: the majority of bugs live outside

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Woolie Wool posted:

How the gently caress do you even try to sleep when your room is 110°? I recently lost air conditioning for almost two weeks and the temperature inside my house reached 90°, I had to sleep on the couch under the living room fan because my room was intolerable, and trying to use my desktop (with only one GPU) was absolute torture.

we've already established that they have brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Self checkout is bad because using computers is bad. The end