Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pac and Cheese posted:

i picked up a pint of so called ice cream at the supermarket and it was so light and whipped with air that i surprise dropped it and it just kept floating there right where i left it

Was it actually ice cream or was it the dreaded Frozen Dairy Dessert because the latter is loving horrible and it should be a crime to fool consumers like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
On my phone I can't screen shot certain news websites. And i can no longer screen capture youtube videos.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

a strange fowl posted:

posting on this site was much more fun before i realised there were all these hidden people reading and discussing and judging everything among themselves in secret channels, but then again i used to post like a dipshit so i only have myself to blame

if I've learned one thing from being a very online person, it's that you can obviously tell that so many internet/nerdy/gamer/online/goony/reddit people carry a secret wish deep inside that they have always wanted nothing more than to be the catty stuck up bitchy popular mean girls holding dominion over their high school's cool kid table.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I worked Office 365 support for a year and I have no loving clue how OneDrive works, or SharePoint, or Outlook. I was lied to and thought i'd get to do more advanced/career stuff like Azure and Exchange but i would have to do 101 level stuff too and even simple poo poo is obnoxious and dizzying. And their four-letter (Dice? Meal? Bank? I can't even remember, my brain deleted it as a defense mechanism) backend billing/licensing app is another MC Escher staircase of multidimensional pain. I hate ms soooo fuking much.

One Microsoft Way.

FUC YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Anybody have that meltdown rant post about enterprise printers?
The "Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3" one or whatever.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I had an Almond Joy for the first time in months and it was terrible. The chocolate was chalky, like the bottom of the barrel 98 cents store easter eggs that are more for decoration than for eating. Very little filling and it was smaller than I remember.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Why is the tiny person icon not a permanent fixture in Google maps? Why tf is it ever not there? I can't stand clicking around and then when i need him I look to the corner and he's not there. Drives me up the loving wall. WHY IS HE NOT THERE SOMETIMES. WHY

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
After being banned for 6 months, "Facebook Comments", the absolute best tiktok account has returned

CHUDs are really mad about quarters now(?)

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8dv7eaV/

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My theory is the rise of content creation and social media stars has led to more dog owners. Because it's such a quick and efficient way to make a scroller pause and watch your content, generate engagement. What quicker way to a person's heartstrings? Same simple reason there's so many babies/cats/dogs in TV commercials.

Remember like a year ago when some YouTube woman bought a new puppy and accidentally posted herself kicking and slapping it because it wasn't cute enough and didn't rocket her to stardom? Dog ownership is on the rise bc it's a career move

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh yeah. The latest one I've seen, that's hit my inbox (PRIMARY folder, no less, not even shunted to the updates or promotional folders/labels) are scams claiming to be from Lowes' Home Depot, or Harbor Freight wanting me to do a survey to win some product. I distinctly remember the fake Lowes' ones claimed I'd get a Yeti cooler backpack.

And it wasn't, like, one or two that got through. It was a weird surge where for a week or two, I'd get multiple emails DAILY to "take a survey to claim my prize" or something. Every time I hit the button in Gmail to flag it, but still got more...I did searching, and LOTS of people in various forums or the google help boards were literally complaining about the EXACT. SAME. EMAILS. Then after a week or two, they'd finally stop...only to appear again a couple months later for another week or two.

I think so far it's happened three times and each time it was from a different one of those three hardware/tool stores. I expect the next batch will be fake ones from Tractor Supply, Co or like Acme Tools?

I get an endless barrage of this too. Right in my main mailbox, with phone notification and everything. So aggravating.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've spent the last few weeks trying to determine an efficient way of hooking up:

10 year old monitor
1 year old monitor
2 year old PC
1 year old laptop
2 year old balanced speakers
1 year old audio interface

I hate technology so much.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
AFAIK OneNote had a feature where you could paste in an image of text, and it would extract the text which you could then edit as you please (you had to edit anyway because the feature was never 100%). I'll award Microsoft 1 point for actually doing something new and useful..

Since I'm feeling generous, I also want to congratulate Prime Video for an actual kick rear end feature: the option to stop all autoplay. gently caress I hate autoplay so much, I pretty much always watch the credits and let my mind reflect on what I just watched. But streaming shits all over a quiet contemplative moment as you sober up from a gritty war epic that ended 15 seconds ago and suddenly the trailer to Surfboard Bong is blasting out your speakers. So loving obnoxious.

HBO had a kick rear end feature too: Leaving This Month which really helped me decide what to watch, for obvious reasons. Of course it's gone now.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Headlight chat: the stupid bright rear end sun-surface LED headlights. Wtf is up with those? Driving became so painful and dangerous, I swore off owning another sedan

Fighting Elegy posted:

did Whoppers (chocolate malt balls) get shittier? I saw they were on sale and got a box. I feel like I fell for a con.

I bought two chocolate bars recently and they were both terrible. Almond Joy and Hershey Milk Chocolate. The latter I don't even like much but it pairs well with plain unsalted almonds, which I had. Both tasted chalky and synthetic. The dark Lindt and Ghirardhelli I bought at the supermarket a few weeks ago were fine though.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Floodixor posted:

My laptop came installed with Windows 11

I opened the File Manager to find some files and holy fuckin' poo poo

OH DO U WANT TO SEE ALL THE FILES SORTED BY DATE THAT THEY WERE USED

OR THE DATE ATTACHED TO THEM

and I went through every little effort to get it to show me just the regular file list, alphabetical order, and it's incredibly hosed up. OH DID U WANT TO VIEW THEM AS SORTED BY THEIR ASTROLOGICAL SIGN

and also, I plugged in my phone to move some photos and that's when I found out about how much of a colossal bitch OneDrive, a service I did not ask for, is. In the ancient past of a few years ago, I plugged in the phone, instructed it to treat it like a drive, and then moved files over. I did that, but then when I went to access them from the local folder, windows said they weren't ACTUALLY there. You see, because they needed to be uploaded to OneDrive first. I made a desktop dir for the images (I'm trying to sell my car and I just want to move the photos over) and even after I disabled onedrive it wouldn't just let me drag and drop the images. It's unbelievable and loving awful and I still don't understand it.

How do I make the file explorer display files in the normal Old Ways

help

Agreed w/ all this. poo poo a year ago my win10 keeps reverting to this loving setting. You have to r.c. and select Group/Group By and choose (none).

OneDrive, no loving clue. I don't understand it to this day and I once had a job that paid me to support Ms apps. People called in all the time absolutely confused and I never met anybody that had answers. MS documentation doesnt have answers. Internal MS docs don't have answers. I avoid it and it disable it on every device. I just use click and drag with Google drive for one simple reason: it loving works.

The more a piece of software claims to enhance your life and keep things simple and easy, the bigger the colossal piece of poo poo it is.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I had to do some work stuff around times square at nighttime a couple months ago and Google maps kept failing in the entire area. Simple addresses and subway stops and the app would only spiral and never returned data.

Could've been too crowded of an area*, but I was criss crossing blocks.

*like how bluetooth headphones don't work in the nyc marathon, too many devices in close proximity. Owned. Wired 4 life

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
" Can't take screenshot because of security policy."

gently caress you.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

VikingofRock posted:

Small sample size, but I think people are getting worse about training and caring for their dogs.

Reason #1: for some reason everyone in my quiet suburban cul-de-sac seems to think that they need a guard dog, so they all have giant german shepherds / dobermen / malanoises. But these dogs bark day and night at nothing, and their owners don't do anything about it. Also, one of the owners leaves their front door open a lot, so I will often see their (smaller) dog running around the neighborhood exploring.

Reason #2: My wife is visiting her cousin, whose dog apparently has a habit of biting everyone. My wife's cousin thinks that it's a personal attack on her as a "dog mom" to suggest that she train her dog not to do that, and points out that her dog "no longer draws blood so it's fine".

Reason #3: My friend's small dog was recently mauled while on a walk by a big german shepherd that got loose. Thankfully, my friend's dog survived, but the attack was pretty horrible from the sound of it.

You're right. Actually we already discussed dogs and dog owners ITT.

It's bc covid + lockdowns.
It's bc social media and influencing and content creating.
It's bc the right wing media fear and hate machine and its ties to Home Security industry.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
All this poo poo with music and movies is because in 1998 some executive spent 5 minutes with their grandson who showed him how easy it was to mass burn CDs. That's it, boom, death of a form factor. Nightmares about profits and free rides, and entire industries changed.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Jawnycat posted:

I'm about to get a new pc and it's probably gonna come preloaded with it, what horrors am I in for as someone who begrudgingly upgraded to 10 from 7 when support ended.

You know when you right click a file and get a bunch of options like Cut Copy Paste Delete and so on? Well I hope you hate words but enjoy vague icons

Snipping Tool has been replaced with a large, crowded application

It's not too different though. Windows is still absolutely loving clueless on how to juggle OneDrive for work and personal, Teams for work and personal, etc.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I went to Dunkin Donuts and I've always thought their hot coffee and hot food were terrible but they've actually gotten worse. At least if you used to order hazelnut or french vanilla, you got something resembling coffee. Now they squirt synthetic flavoring in, and it's just terrible

And another thing, the bagels are smaller than they used to be.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Junk posted:

you can switch that back to normal though

this is what ur supposed to do since forever ago

and how's that work, smartass? i'm not even the only person complaining about this

Oh I gotta make 5 edits into the registry? Shame on me WHOOPSIE that's so simple!!!!!!!

Why do ppl ride the M$ dick so hard?? Such an inept and unlikable company

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Professor Shark posted:

I don’t get why Boomers love speaker phone

Pssst! 80% of them have early onset dementia or are senile already and they do not realize that speaker phone is on.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
When I open a new browser, the pointer doesn't immediately engage the address bar. Even F6 doesn't do it, I have to manually click the bar. Please tell me how to fix :(

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

humpthewind posted:

Ctrl + L works most of the time. Ironically not when typing a post.

Works for me, thank you. Difficult thing to google search (since it's trash now)

Extra row of tits posted:

Books.

Books are terrible now. Every book by a well know author is subpar garbage that would slip by completely unremarked if it didn’t have a famous name attached or is some goofy one off piece of poo poo with a designed-solely-to-be-noticed-on-the-shelf name “It’s Shelly Gibsons 30th birthday and my thighs are fat” by 30 year old barely talented hack who will be gone in a year.

You're not wrong. To me it seems like the industry is designed around impulsive eBook purchases, two quick taps on the screen and you've got a sale. So, wacky titles and covers. Sometimes I wonder if the "hacks" are even real. I bet there are writers cranking these out that publishers then filter to bigger names, careers. It's like a factory manufacturing the next batch over and over. Just turning the crank and out plops more.

More literary stuff is boring too. Here's a good reddit thread discussing the 2023 Nation Book Awards for Fiction

Everything is identity politics, traumatic injustice, grief tourism.

It's like the 00s-10s when everything was Iowa Workshop, nice precocious children POV, Brooklyn.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Objective evil is winning, cool cool cool

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Armacham posted:

In 2016 Trump was elected and the Cubs won the world series. I don't think this is a coincidence

time traveler tried to warn us

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The website tells you to use the app.
The app opens websites.
gently caress. You.

is pepsi ok posted:

I hate the loving Netflix button on my remote so much. Accidentally hitting that thing not only interrupts whatever you're watching but it takes 7 button presses to exit out of that goddamn app.

i notice on my remote that the Netflix and Amazon Prime buttons were both the first buttons to rub off and lose their logos. I guess I'm supposed to "feel bad" that my consumer items make themselves look "old" and "dated" after a few years and go buy a new TV. But gently caress you, market, gently caress you.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
When you go to big stores like Target or Home Depot and suddenly your phone internet no longer works. Like god forbid you want to research products n prices, check out market. I deserve a reward for walking into your store, instead I get a punishment. Pretty evil I gotta say.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Re: lovely undershirts

I will say that Target's newer line of Goodfellow undershirts are very good. Black or white, v neck or crew. The t shirts feel higher quality, thicker. They fit great and actually became my regular everyday t-shirts because they're comfy, not cheap looking, and I somehow look good in them. I bought a few extra packs and stored them away. They're probably the best "undershirt" t shirts I ever owned. Big fan of these

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
*checks out self*

*steals multiple items*

It's like a reward.wav

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

doctorfrog posted:

I'm convinced that a certain kind of person regards the projection of light from their car as a personal projection of their power

If you're annoyed by it, you should drive faster or get out of 'their lane'

They absolutely do 1000%. It's the exact same thing as rattling your windows with blasting music, or splitting ear drums with a modded engine/muffler. Very typical I'm-So-Cool gently caress-Everybody-But-Me attitude of trashy people. It's not just on highways, people do it on city streets all the time.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is a 'good' example where ai fucks up what should be a simple article about the 10 best Damned songs by also including songs by the Cure, AC/DC, and Nas:

https://singersroom.com/best-the-damned-songs-of-all-time/

There's a guy's name at the bottom of the article but considering how poor quality it is, I'm assuming even the name is ai generated.

It's like "content" is this generic thing now that can't exist for its own sake or have any actual qualities, it can only serve advertising.

Lmao this is so bad. I just wanna say that I saw The Damned on Halloween and it kicked rear end!

quote:

#10 “Don’t Cry Wolf” is a song by British new wave band, The Damned. The song’s lyrics speak of a person who is being warned not to make false accusations or create unnecessary drama by “crying wolf”. The metaphorical warning references the fable of the boy who cried wolf, in which a young boy repeatedly lies about the presence of a wolf, causing people to ignore him when a wolf actually appears. The song’s catchy melody and upbeat tempo stand in contrast to the cautionary message of the lyrics, creating a sense of tension and irony. “Don’t Cry Wolf” serves as a reminder to always be truthful and genuine in our actions, and to be aware of the consequences of crying wolf.

edit: More evil AI writing poo poo:

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers
We asked them about it — and they deleted everything.

tldr: it was the ownership company, The Arena Group

SI has a Union and they're very upset
https://x.com/si_union/status/1729245677690012152?s=20

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2023

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Today, for the first time, I've had 15, 30, 60 second ads on my TV's YouTube app. It looks different too, a small spinning yellow circle. I still got the typical 5 second ads. Actually not x seconds long, just how long it takes til the Skip button appears

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

SpazForPickles posted:

Re: self checkouts

I was at a dollar store on the weekend and had to use the self checkout. When my items inevitably wouldn't scan properly, the attendant had to come over, put in her code and then *scan her fingerprint*. This was a new one for me, never seen anyone had to do that before.

Something about a minimum wage employee having to give their corporate overlord their fingerprint made me uncomfortable.

All hail capitalism.

Fingerprint scanners as punch-in and -out time clocks are becoming more popular with kitchen and wait staff. I've seen them in diners, restaurants. And ppl in food service have told me they've seen them too.
Which is crazy because it's not like all these people are citizens.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I don't understand how people use delivery apps.

What's a better system?

You <-----> restaurant

OR

You <----> corporation designed to make owners rich <----> restaurant

Honestly, I look down on anybody I hear gushing about delivery apps. I'm sure there's some useful customers but how the heck did the apps get so big?

Food delivery is also bad because of all the single use items.

Every day 100 box trucks drive into Manhattan filled with single use items, and 100 garbage trucks filled with used single use items drive out.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is a 'good' example where ai fucks up what should be a simple article about the 10 best Damned songs by also including songs by the Cure, AC/DC, and Nas:

https://singersroom.com/best-the-damned-songs-of-all-time/

There's a guy's name at the bottom of the article but considering how poor quality it is, I'm assuming even the name is ai generated.

It's like "content" is this generic thing now that can't exist for its own sake or have any actual qualities, it can only serve advertising.

quote:

#10 “Don’t Cry Wolf” is a song by British new wave band, The Damned. The song’s lyrics speak of a person who is being warned not to make false accusations or create unnecessary drama by “crying wolf”. The metaphorical warning references the fable of the boy who cried wolf, in which a young boy repeatedly lies about the presence of a wolf, causing people to ignore him when a wolf actually appears. The song’s catchy melody and upbeat tempo stand in contrast to the cautionary message of the lyrics, creating a sense of tension and irony. “Don’t Cry Wolf” serves as a reminder to always be truthful and genuine in our actions, and to be aware of the consequences of crying wolf.

edit: More evil AI writing poo poo:

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers
We asked them about it — and they deleted everything.

tldr: it was the ownership company, The Arena Group

SI has a Union and they're very upset
https://x.com/si_union/status/1729245677690012152?s=20

A happy ending!!

Arena Group fires CEO in wake of Sports Illustrated AI articles scandal

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/dec/12/arena-group-ceo-ross-levinsohn-fired-sports-illustrated-ai-articles

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Silicon Valley has always had a strong affinity for Ayn Rand. That sorta explains this whole thread.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

anonumos posted:

Drunk drivers will be slurring, "I'm fine. I'm fine. Lookit me, I'm fine." right up until you inform them they just killed 4 people. I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers.

the amount of true crime/body cam footage of cops telling a drunk driver that they aren't free to leave since they just killed somebody or multiple people, and the dd just laughs or says "whoopsie!" or starts complaining, or has some sort of phony blasé reaction is quiet insane. Like, insane insane. Drunk drivers do not give a single poo poo at all. gently caress their addiction. I'm addicted to living and not seeing a person's brains pushed out their face when a tire rolls over their skull. gently caress drunk drivers, scum of the earth.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Weather forecasts are getting worse because maniac billionaires keep putting toys in the sky

Dutch meteorologists say Musk's Starlink network disrupts weather forecasting
https://nltimes.nl/2023/01/27/dutch-meteorologists-say-musks-starlink-network-disrupts-weather-forecasting

Plus for USAians, they're getting worse because anything government funded is bad and evil, neoliberalism demands we starve the beast, and taxpayer money needs to be diverted into private companies ASAP

Why the Entire U.S. Weather Satellite System is at Risk
New report finds our next-generation weather satellites are threatened by budget overruns, blown deadlines, and mismanagement.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a35/us-weather-satellite-noaa-goa-report-2015-17640539/

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
edit - wrong thread, don't wanna upset another sassy cunty mod

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 5, 2024

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

skooma512 posted:

The Coachella lineup this year suuuuucks

Can't speak on that but music festivals 100% fit this thread. Their golden years are looong gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
on my Win10 machine, I click on the taskbar time and I can see a display showing ticking seconds in real time.

on my Win11 machine, there is no way to monitor seconds, I had to dig into Control Panel and look for Date & Time or whatever