Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I feel like the US is kind of an afterthought for KFC nowadays, they do way more business in China and SE Asia.

I haven't been there in a long time, but KFC in Thailand was actually pretty good. They always had a couple traditional Thai dishes on the menu made with your choice of regular or extra crispy KFC chicken.

Meanwhile in my part of the us, kfc is getting its poo poo pushed in by popeye’s, bonchon, wingstop/wings over and local places

gently caress KFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t eat fast food but apparently chick fila is also popular

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

There's like 5 big chicken places now. Raising Canes, Chik Fil, PDQ, KFC, Popeyes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Who even are these people going to KFC anymore? Like a decade ago I drove past one and pulled in because I hadn’t had KFC in a few years already. Was floored when my bucket was $40 or some poo poo and then it wasn’t very good. The only other times I can recall eating there were in Asia.

Every discussion about KFC is full of people saying the same poo poo. I’m pretty sure that KFC in Asia is a different company these days so what the gently caress keeps yum brands alive?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Every time I go inside a KFC (maybe 4 times in the last 10 years) I feel like I'm in a business that only serves food as a side thing. just doesn't feel like anyone involved gives a poo poo, very depressing vibe

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Every time I go inside a KFC (maybe 4 times in the last 10 years) I feel like I'm in a business that only serves food as a side thing. just doesn't feel like anyone involved gives a poo poo, very depressing vibe

the last time I ate at KFC was the first time I ate there in 10 years and it was specifically to get a DIablo IV beta code and see how bad the chicken sandwich is compared to Popeye's.

Never again.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Internet Old One posted:

Every discussion about KFC is full of people saying the same poo poo. I’m pretty sure that KFC in Asia is a different company these days so what the gently caress keeps yum brands alive?
Pizza hut and taco bell?
A lot of the locations here are combo and that has to help with real estate costs at least.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

AARD VARKMAN posted:

everything is everyone's side thing

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Comstar posted:

Work is closing the building cafe on Fridays and every other day at 2pm. The only place to eat is 10 minutes drive in any direction. There is no vending machines either.

Have fun with everyone leaving the building for 25+ minutes every time they want a coffee, snack or lunch. Productivity is going to hit the roof.

I know city living isn't for everyone but I always found this depressing about suburban offices that I've traveled to for work. I can't believe how isolated so many of them are. Not even a strip mall within walking distance for a variety of food or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MrQwerty posted:

the last time I ate at KFC was the first time I ate there in 10 years and it was specifically to get a DIablo IV beta code

lol you fukkin' dork

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

verbal enema posted:

lol you fukkin' dork

yeah and

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the last time i ate at KFC was in China 15 years ago because even back then it was common knowledge it was better outside the US

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fast food in general is better outside the US. They don’t take as much poo poo like we do. McDonald’s in France is much better than the US, KFC abroad as stated ITT. 7/11 in Japan has much better everything and doesn’t have people having mental health crises and zonked out on H in front of them.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

skooma512 posted:

7/11 in Japan has much better everything and doesn’t have people having mental health crises and zonked out on H in front of them.

Also you can pay bills and buy stamps and concert tickets there, in addition to having a surprisingly large selection of decent food.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

doctorfrog posted:

Pretty easy and cheap to cook a whole chicken: oven, slow cooker, probably instant pot, etc.

I know that working poor people will often not have time, energy, or the initial funds for such things, but dang, KFC is trash and it's got to be easy for the average goon to just chicken themselves up a good bird. Cut up a couple potatoes and carrots into the mix and bang.

unless you're willing to come over and cook me this chicken yourself, shut up shut up shut uppppppppp. i've only got so many spoons, it doesn't matter how easy it is, i'm always going to be worn out at the end of the day and cooking is an activity which I have to literally force myself to do, so it's spoons on spoons here.

any person who says cooking is easy and doesn't understand why others don't cook, your fate should be you cook for all of us then, if it's really so 'easy'. put your money where your mouth is then and provide for others - or shut up and let them solve it themselves in the ways they can.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Fast food in general is better outside the US. They don’t take as much poo poo like we do. McDonald’s in France is much better than the US, KFC abroad as stated ITT. 7/11 in Japan has much better everything and doesn’t have people having mental health crises and zonked out on H in front of them.

Food in general is better outside the US, our food supply is full of sawdust and bleached feces and children fingers, because number must go up

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

There's a food Youtuber I watch that lives in Japan and I am consistently blown away by the ready to eat or ready to heat meals he gets from 7-11

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Beastie posted:

There's a food Youtuber I watch that lives in Japan and I am consistently blown away by the ready to eat or ready to heat meals he gets from 7-11

what YouTuber

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

what YouTuber

He typically only does Shorts (lame, I know) but his name is @JapanEat
https://www.youtube.com/@japaneat/shorts

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

unless you're willing to come over and cook me this chicken yourself, shut up shut up shut uppppppppp. i've only got so many spoons, it doesn't matter how easy it is, i'm always going to be worn out at the end of the day and cooking is an activity which I have to literally force myself to do, so it's spoons on spoons here.

any person who says cooking is easy and doesn't understand why others don't cook, your fate should be you cook for all of us then, if it's really so 'easy'. put your money where your mouth is then and provide for others - or shut up and let them solve it themselves in the ways they can.

I also prefer my home to not have a greasy film on everything in the kitchen from deep frying

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Music mastering might be getting quieter again, but I swear almost every new album I listen to is compressed to death and sounds muddy and dull. I guess they want to make sure people listening through their phone speaker or on a lovely little bluetooth speaker hear everything.

im not a super audio or video quaility person, but I also lol at non tech people bragging about their newest flagship phone specs, but then have the output device be the weakest link in the fidelity chain.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I also prefer my home to not have a greasy film on everything in the kitchen from deep frying

I made two chicken breasts for chicken parm last week(light frying involved) and my whole apartment stunk for three days. Frying is the one thing I rarely do in my kitchen. It's insanely messy, insanely wasteful, and moderately dangerous.

We were talking about UX and interface earlier here is one. The tv remote has the mute button directly above the "speak into the mic and we'll find the app for you" button. They're even the same shape.

Hitting the microphone button brings up this horrid interface that takes up 1/3 of the screen, doesn't go away when you click the button again, and instead does its mandatory "I'm here listening to you for 10 seconds whoops didnt catch that try again?"

gently caress off.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I hate the loving Netflix button on my remote so much. Accidentally hitting that thing not only interrupts whatever you're watching but it takes 7 button presses to exit out of that goddamn app.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

is pepsi ok posted:

I hate the loving Netflix button on my remote so much. Accidentally hitting that thing not only interrupts whatever you're watching but it takes 7 button presses to exit out of that goddamn app.

your tv would have cost 50 cents more without that button so be thankful

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

is pepsi ok posted:

I had an early smart tv with a Netflix and Yahoo button. Once they started turning off backends for those apps they both caused the TV to freeze to the point it required some sort of hard reset ritual with the power button.

It was weird because I looked into making an app for the TV and they were all basically HTML and javascript so don’t know how that happens. It was no doubt an Internet of Turds security nightmare.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The website tells you to use the app.
The app opens websites.
gently caress. You.

is pepsi ok posted:

i notice on my remote that the Netflix and Amazon Prime buttons were both the first buttons to rub off and lose their logos. I guess I'm supposed to "feel bad" that my consumer items make themselves look "old" and "dated" after a few years and go buy a new TV. But gently caress you, market, gently caress you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the gently caress would a yahoo button even do, even google (and i guess microsoft with its cortana and bing) dont have their own button

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

is pepsi ok posted:

I feel like either your TV is bad or this is a skill issue. You shouldn't ever need to "exit" apps. You just start up the other app with that app's button, or the home button if it doesn't have one. If you hot-button all of your streaming apps you can always navigate between all of them with a single button.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jelly posted:

I feel like either your TV is bad or this is a skill issue. You shouldn't ever need to "exit" apps. You just start up the other app with that app's button, or the home button if it doesn't have one. If you hot-button all of your streaming apps you can always navigate between all of them with a single button.

Lol at this guy with his high tech advanced holo tv running quantum processors

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jelly posted:

Every smart TV is a massively underpowered computer.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Biplane posted:

Lol at this guy with his high tech advanced holo tv running quantum processors

My mom was visiting me about 7 years ago and she was like "Wow, your netflix/amazon/hulu is so fast!" and I had to show her it was my $500 Xbox One X and not my TV.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

PhazonLink posted:

the gently caress would a yahoo button even do, even google (and i guess microsoft with its cortana and bing) dont have their own button

IIRC it brought up a bunch of widgets for the news and weather or something. Also I might be misremembering but I think the yahoo app had its own extended app ecosystem that was barely used and might have only ever amounted to a twitter app? Anyhow the twitter app for the tv was absolutely worthless navigating with the remote.

The funny thing is that the whole system supported 4 or more completely unassigned remote buttons that could be used for anything your app wanted and despite every app except youtube being worthless from bad navigation, not a single one of them ever bothered to use these 4 buttons instead wanting the user to settle for a dpad, ok, exit, and back button. Exit and back were used interchangeably with no consistency in any app so it was always a gamble hitting either of them could result in going backwards or exiting the app entirely resulting in the user having to go back through with tedious d-pad navigation to try again.

The netflix app was relatively good and seemed to be similar to the early wii app.

Also the TV was 3d and supported insane refresh rates but had dogshit black levels. It was also interesting that the manufacturer would let anyone make apps for the tv but aside from the aforementioned and my attempt at a hello world, I don’t think anyone did.

It was a ball of fascinating technologies all poorly executed.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

You know what. You're right. And I'm going to do something about it. Yesterday I was thinking that I should just build my own universal remote. I've decided.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Pour one out for yet another USB C cable

Remember when cables used to get shorts in the middle and that's when they finally would get retired?

Let's just make the ends super easy to break instead

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
instead?

my cable lifetime is no longer determined by random acts of cat violence, they just stop working for no apparent reason. gotta bulk order them now

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Beastie posted:

My mom was visiting me about 7 years ago and she was like "Wow, your netflix/amazon/hulu is so fast!" and I had to show her it was my $500 Xbox One X and not my TV.

I'm going to be argumentative again and state that the apps on my PS5 are utter poo poo compared to the ones on my TV. In speed, functionality, and picture quality.

Except for Paramount+ because my TV wants an LG login for that one I refuse to watch it on there since the PS5 doesn't care.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

shazbot posted:

instead?

my cable lifetime is no longer determined by random acts of cat violence, they just stop working for no apparent reason. gotta bulk order them now

When some new cables come out I order like 5 super long ones with braided sheathing and stuff all the same color. They tend to hold up really well and i can always tell at a glance what kind of cable I’m looking at. Seems like we’re headed for a world where new usbc standards are going to be dropping every few years :(

Everything else ends up hanging on a cable rack in the basement and is treated basically as disposable and often ends up getting stripped for wires or used as string.

I haven’t been able to find a stereo 3.5mm to RCA that isn’t poo poo though. No matter how fancy they look they’re always poo poo.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
The charging cable for my 2015 MacBook Pro cracked at the connection to the input like 4 times, I got it replaced under Apple Care but my coverage period was almost over by the last one and they had moved on to their lovely USB-C charger input in later models by that time. I bought a set of cable savers that clip on, cost like $1.90 and this cable has lasted years without an issue since. Could just integrate the cable saver into the existing cable but I guess Apple's multi-trillion-dollar financials rely on repeated charger cable sales.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If your power cable is failing every year or two then you are doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
TV companies want to move TVs. On TVs the netflix, etc, buttons on the remote exist only to get paid by netflix, etc, allegedly paying Roku a dollar per remote. As the for apps, even the minimal amount of engineering resources is just a money sink and a reason for people NOT to buy a new TV.