Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah Amazon's just an online junk store at this point. You'd have better luck buying from eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I just found out if you turn off a new MacBook it will turn right back on if you press any keys or touch the track pad. So if you turn it off to clean the keyboard it will just turn right back on once you hit a key. After a bit of searching around there's no straightforward way to change this behavior and some people have written custom "keyboard cleaning" apps just to capture all keyboard and track pad inputs to get around this problem.

:lol: Apple.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hammerite posted:

can you not just take the battery out while you clean it

You're not gonna believe this...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

Sorry, had to innovate.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I used to work for a manufacturing company that did not give a poo poo about their employees but even they had sense enough to price the vending machine coffee at $0.10 a cup. This was about a decade ago.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Silhouette posted:

it's not 1992 any more grampa, short sleeves are supposed to end at mid-bicep when your arms are relaxed, not hit your elbow and billow out like Doug Funnie

Sorry dad, you ain't with it anymore. They're coming back around.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm terrified to try other email services because I can see the massive wave gmail's spam filter is holding back.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There's been a lot written about how corporations learned from the downfall of the tobacco industry and how they need to get out ahead of public backlashes to steer the conversation. So oil companies make commercials talking about their bullshit green energy initiatives and the plastic packaging industry more or less made up the idea of recyclable plastics to assuage people's guilt. They're not trying to convince anyone. They just want to introduce enough doubt that people go, "Eh, that's probably enough."

And for the record, plastics can be recycled but they almost never actually are even if you put them in the correct bin.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How did QR code menus even become a thing? Did the people selling online ordering services for restaurants do this? Were ever-changing menus that much of a problem?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

McDonald's is desperately trying to shed its image as "crap food for children" "the place where screaming kids are" etc. That's why they've been euthanizing every actor who ever played Ronald, and hunting down all the ones they haven't got yet.

Back when McDonald's was first trying to make fancy coffee drinks I ended up going there with a manager one afternoon on a coffee run for the office. Well for some reason that very afternoon they had a Ronald McDonald actor show up to do his routine and yuck it up with the folks waiting in line. But it was 2:30pm on a Tuesday so it was nothing but construction workers in line for a late lunch and business types trying to get coffee. Zero kids. After a while the clown got frustrated that everybody was just awkwardly trying to ignore him so he left.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I still can't believe how quickly these private equity firms can gut a company.

quote:

In 2022, Prophet Brand Relevance Index® ranked Instant Pot No.6 in the "Top 10 Brands in the U.S.".

quote:

In April 2019 Instant Pot merged with Corelle Brands, owned by a private equity firm Cornell Capital...

quote:

On June 12, 2023, Instant Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after high interest rates and waning access to credit hit its cash position and made its debts unsustainable.

The most popular kitchen appliance of the decade yet somehow not profitable enough.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Most back to the office pushes come down to some mixture of these two:
  • Sunk cost fallacy on their office space.
  • Managers who are worried someone will notice they don't have anything to do when they're not in the office.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

drat looks like a whole slew of talented workers are in the market for a new employer all of a sudden huh

Oh right, I forgot about that one. It's also a way to reduce headcount.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I replied a Facebook post in a group and it’s sent me 4 emails in a day to tell me I got a reply.

Please engage with this website please please please.

I signed up for Linkedin recently and hoo boy is that a desperate app. Notifications for everything. Notifications for people looking at you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Actual Satan posted:

I've got to go through a private company to get a copy of my loving birth certificate, it's expensive as hell, and I have to wait 6 months. This used to be a basic government service.

Yeah but nobody made any money doing it the old way.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

aniviron posted:

I use postimage https://postimages.org/ seems to work fine.

Seconded.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Lol LinkedIn loving blows now. Half the job offers are crypto/other scams.

Yet it seems to be drat near required for job hunting. I saw a Workday application where your LinkedIn URL was a required field.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

teen witch posted:

My mom clung to her JVC SD CRT until it literally popped and now after seeing her accursed Samsung bloatware TV, I regret not somehow finding her another CRT.

Why the gently caress does it need to take goddamn ten seconds to press a button and get a response. What. Why. No one wants this.

Best Buy's Insigia TVs still come in not smart flavors and they're the ultimate old person TV. My Dad burned through a bunch of Samsung TVs he hated until he found one of these. He loved it so much he went back to Best Buy and bought a second one as a spare.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

I treat my work mbp with nothing but contempt and never have these issues. You guys have cheap dells and that’s the real issue.

About 4 years ago MacBooks had the exact same problem. Glad they seem to have learned their lesson at least.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

anonumos posted:

Google maps has been discussed, but I've got a new grievance! All last year, maps would direct me to the back entrance of the school, despite me going to the front to pick up and drop off every single day. The AI just couldn't figure It out. I thought the maps experience was supposed to be personalized?

First day of the school year, it starts directing me to the FRONT door. Problem is they've switched drop off and pick up to the BACK. So Google maps still directs me to the WRONG loving DOOR!

... can I ask why you're still using Google Maps to get to a school you've been going to for over a year?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Armacham posted:

Traffic and road closure information

Ah, guess I've been blessed by predictable commutes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Good luck.

I will gladly be that weirdo who hoards physical media and insists on using open source software and 10 year old versions of Photoshop.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It drives my wife nuts when I turn the tv on mute when an ad comes on. They irritate the hell out of me and using ublock has made me even less tolerant

lol everyone in my family does that and I never knew it was odd until I moved out and got roommates who called me out on it. I was always like, "Oh you wanna hear the Tri-State Kia dealership commercial yet again?"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

I want to go back to getting dvds by mail

If we lived in a bizarro timeline where someone didn't think of the discs-by-mail model until 2023 they would be burning custom discs with commercials in them and the skip/ff feature disabled.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also, while I'm at it, why don't any streaming platforms offer search filtering in their UI? I'd love to filter poo poo so I can find movies or shows that fit my genre, runtime, release date, and review preferences instead of just being told to watch another new dumpster fire docuseries every time I search for anything.

"No need. The algorithm will just show you what you want to watch."

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 27, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Kindle, or Amazon I guess, changed the cover of my e-book of Dune to just pictures of the cast from the latest movie. "Now a motion picture!" Etc. gently caress you.

lol. I remember that being a thing with new editions back when books were made of dead trees but it's kinda messed up they can do that to an ebooks you've already bought. Though I remember buying music on iTunes and having the album art randomly switch up after the fact.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Still.the most deceptive movie marketing so far

Random tangent: I remember all the movie posters and trailers for the movie Groundhog Day focusing on that one scene where Bill Murray was driving a car with an animatronic groundhog sitting in his lap. Made it seem like a silly comedy in the vein of Caddyshack where he was chasing that gopher.

Well imagine my surprise when I finally watched Groundhog Day decades later and it was a much more thoughtful movie than I expected. The groundhog puppet was like 10 seconds of the movie.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 29, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

Can you use a "smart tv" without internet? Never connect it.

Yes but they're starting to get that video game problem where the TVs don't work quite right out of the box and you may need updates for bug fixes.

... god the future sucks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Target's website lists products from third-party sites now and it fuckin' sucks.

God that really is the beginning of the end for any online store.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Welp, YouTube seems to have finally defeated my ad blocker. I'm seeing commercials for the first time in forever.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My TV is 15 years old and still going strong. Are all TVs "smart" now, or can you buy a normal TV and avoid all that dumb bullshit?

wash bucket posted:

Best Buy's Insigia TVs still come in not smart flavors and they're the ultimate old person TV. My Dad burned through a bunch of Samsung TVs he hated until he found one of these. He loved it so much he went back to Best Buy and bought a second one as a spare.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Iirc Jobs was fighting the music industry every day to keep old iTunes functional

Remember when the first iPhone came with an unlimited data plan because Jobs insisted that was the only way anyone would feel comfortable using the internet on their phone?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Ooo fun. Youtube is managing to sneak ads by uBlock Origin somehow. Only a couple have made it through though, it's not the ad infested fest that the normal experience is. I wonder what's happening.

Try these steps:
  • Go to the uBlock settings dashboard (gears icon)
  • Click "Purge all caches"
  • Click "Update now"
  • Restart browser

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I bought a french door refrigerator from Best Buy about a year ago, and today I still get promotional emails from them about french door refrigerators. As if I would not only be in the market for another french door refrigerator in less than a year, but if I were in the market again I would somehow be willing to buy another one from the people who sold me a poo poo french door refrigerator that crapped out after a year.

It was explained to me that large appliance purchases are usually near impossible to predict from a marketing standpoint. However, when people do buy a large appliance a certain percentage of them won't like it and will be looking to return and replace it with something else. So that segment of people unhappy with their first purchase are who they're trying to market to.

Or maybe that's just a really clever after-the-fact explanation for their brain dead algorithm.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

That makes infinitely more sense than the assumption that I collect french-door refrigerators. But it doesn't entirely absolve the seller of responsibility for having sold me a presumed-defunct appliance. If I bought a fridge from Best Buy and it crapped out after a year, I sure as poo poo would not buy a fridge from Best Buy ever again.

Most people would blame the manufacturer in that case; not Best Buy.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

I'm waiting for Windows 12, under the theory of "skip every other Window OS cuz it sucks".

My poor mother has been stuck on the wrong side of this cycle since Windows ME.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

edit: nevermind I'm stupid

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Further Reading posted:

Irish is basically a dead language that is barely used outside of classrooms so it's super weird that Apple would even make such a niche use case, let alone consider it the default option. I guess maybe some government body that is trying to keep the Irish language alive decided to be relevant by making a special keyboard layout and part of Apple's special tax evasion agreement is to build laptops that use it.

Eh, I can't begrudge Apple for offering niche keyboard layouts. Sounds like your IT department just got the wrong tool for the job.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twitter keeps trying to show me cctv footage of people getting into fights and YouTube keeps trying to show me body cam footage of cops shooting and killing people. I don't know what poor decisions I've made to make the algorithm think I'm into that stuff but I will repent as soon as I figure out what wrong thing I clicked on.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Combo posted:

YouTube keeps suggesting church sermon content to me for some reason even though I say "don't recommend" on all of them. It just serves me one up from a different channel.

It's just trying to zero in on your denomination. I had the same thing happen with sports videos. It didn't show me less sports, just different sports.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

PS plus basic went up in price by over 50% and they won’t let me in my account to see the expiry without doing a captcha that’s like, move a train to these coordinates. If you fail, you have to do them all over again plus one more. I reached the max of 10 already. They probably just want the autopay to go on forever of course

When they first announced that price hike I couldn't sign in to cancel because their servers were getting hammered with people signing in to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

bossy lady posted:

That is so insanely stupid. How could they not see install bombing as a malicious thing angry gamers will do if a unity-based game asks them for their pronouns or something?

They get to charge the devs even more if that happens. No problems detected.