Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I recently bought an older HP Z640 workstation and upgraded it to a dual-CPU configuration (2x2.6GHz E5-2690V4 14c/28t), but I'm a little bit confused about the way it seems to want to operate.

When it just had a single 2690 installed, and I used Handbrake to transcode H264 video on the CPU rather than the GPU, all 14 physical cores and all 14 hyperthreading cores would be in use as per Task Manager's graphs. My assumption was, if I double the number of CPUs, I would double the speed of transcoding, and cut the time it took to transcode in half.

Instead, when I use the standard H264 mode with two CPUs installed, it seems to use half of all available cores, but never all cores. So I'm getting the exact same transcode time as I was when the machine just had a single 2690. Huh?

My assumption is that it's using all 28 physical cores, but none of the hyperthreading cores. When I switch to H264 10-Bit mode, it uses the other half of the available cores as per Task Manager, which leads me to assume it's using the hyperthreading cores only? Or maybe each mode is only using one CPU entirely, and leaving the other CPU to handle system processes?

I'm able to transcode faster on NVEnc mode using my video card, but my calculation was that by adding this second CPU I could shave 1/3rd off of even the NVEnc encode time, but that's not what's happening.

Is there something I'm missing, or were my assumptions flawed about what adding a second CPU would do for me? Should I be looking for a specific BIOS setting that seems to be flying under my radar?

Thanks.

Operating system: Windows 10 Plus.

System specs: 2x32GB sticks of DDR4-2933 operating at 2400 speed (I ordered 32gb of 2400 but the ebay seller shipped me 64gb of 2933 for some reason?? Thanks, I guess? They're in the correct slots for two CPU mode.), a Nvidia 2070S, and a 1tb NVMe in a PCIe adaptor.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Either reinstall windows or make sure two processors are set in the boot options of msconfig.exe

I thiiiink windows queries your motherboard once during install to set the number of cpus. If you change hardware it may not re query