Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

What sort of load outs is everyone running with? I'm like 20% through Final Fantasy Mode and going with:

Odin- Rift Slip and Dancing Blade
Shiva- Diamond Dust and Gigaflare
Phoenix- Lightning Rod and Judgement Bolt

I can usually do two full Zantetsukens in a stagger and get, like, ~300k damage off, but I feel like I can get more. I guess switching Phoenix to Bahamut for Wings of Light could do more, but I really don't like how it feels to use Megaflare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Some guy on reddit did this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GVMdUBMYCn7kGWNkEku68uOWvAkDAOj4OADll1zVJcI/htmlview

Will o Wykes is super good in Ultimaniac because it lets you tank hits mid combo.

RiftSlip, Gigaflare and Dancing Steel are too good for damage so they are always in my loadout.

Rook's Gambit is fun if you reduce the CD to like 4-5 with accessories. Heatwave is excellent against bosses.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 5, 2023

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Also I don't think the book being attributed to Joshua Rosfield is any indication whatsoever that anyone in particular survived, only that the name 'Joshua Rosfield' has endured.
Yeah why would it possibly matter that a principal characters name is revealed as the last moment of the game. I guess it could literally be anyone.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Weird they bother to show any name, given how little it matters!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol it seems as tho perhaps the name has percolated through time as mythical/quasi-historical legend a la king arthur or gilgamesh. People still debate who Shakespeare even was. The book is regarded as a fairy tale by the mother. It is a very old story at the time of that final scene. There's no indication that the names Clive or Joshua are even mentioned in the book, only "ifrit" and the "older brother".

It just makes so much more sense and is such a shorter logical leap to make that the author of the book is ultimately unknown but that the name Joshua Rosfield has been associated with it for so long and has been attributed to the work along the way, given the countless examples of similar things in our own history

But that's clearly not fun at all for you so just keep writing that fanfiction by all means

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't at all agree that it doesn't matter if the main characters survived, but I do very much agree with this:

fridge corn posted:

Also I don't think the book being attributed to Joshua Rosfield is any indication whatsoever that anyone in particular survived, only that the name 'Joshua Rosfield' has endured.

In conclusion, fridge corn is a land of contrasts

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The whole idea that Joshua/Clive would self insert themselves in their book feels completely out of character

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is it a self insert if you’re writing an autobiography?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

hatty posted:

Is it a self insert if you’re writing an autobiography?

Probably not but its very funny to me that he would write a biography that clearly became very popular because even common folk have well preserved copies of it but it's still considered fiction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Lol it seems as tho perhaps the name has percolated through time as mythical/quasi-historical legend a la king arthur or gilgamesh. People still debate who Shakespeare even was. The book is regarded as a fairy tale by the mother. It is a very old story at the time of that final scene. There's no indication that the names Clive or Joshua are even mentioned in the book, only "ifrit" and the "older brother".

It just makes so much more sense and is such a shorter logical leap to make that the author of the book is ultimately unknown but that the name Joshua Rosfield has been associated with it for so long and has been attributed to the work along the way, given the countless examples of similar things in our own history

But that's clearly not fun at all for you so just keep writing that fanfiction by all means

Basically, Joshua does live on, but in name only.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

But it's very strange that the book would be the chronicle of a person called Joshua Rosfield, and then be written by an author called Joshua Rosfield. Presumably there was a preface that this author just needs to clarify that they're not the totally cool dude in this book.

I get different interpretations of the ending. But the last scenes are deliberately ambiguous and confusing, and then after a moment of pause we are presented with a concrete fact. You may not like it but that is an intentional moment to snap the ambiguity. I still think it's weird but it is what it is. It seems completely disconnected speculation to start saying "The contents of the book have nothing to do with what we have witnessed in this story". My first instinct was that it was a descendent of the Rosfields who was also called Joshua so I'm not above this myself. On rewatching the ending and with a little time it seems that we've all worked ourselves into strange corners. They literally put Joshua's name right at the end, I think we should believe what they told us.

keithy george fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 5, 2023

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

fridge corn posted:

Lol of course not.

The game seemed to spend an awful lot of time and dialogue on something that doesn't matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rkd_ posted:

You don't think it matters people know who survives at the end of a story?

I mean no. We have proof of that with FF7

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

rkd_ posted:

The game seemed to spend an awful lot of time and dialogue on something that doesn't matter.

What are you talking about?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

keithy george posted:

But it's very strange that the book would be the chronicle of a person called Joshua Rosfield, and then be written by an author called Joshua Rosfield. Presumably there was a preface that this author just needs to clarify that they're not the totally cool dude in this book.

Sure but Joshua's not the main character of the story. His brother is. As cool as some of the things Joshua does in the story are, they pale in comparison to the poo poo Clive pulls off. Like if we assume the book is an accurate depiction of what we see while we play the game (which there's exactly zero evidence for or against, but just for the sake of argument), I don't think anyone would see the in-universe Final Fantasy as the "chronicle of a person called Joshua Rosfield." They'd see it as the chronicle of Cid the Outlaw.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When I got to that part of the ending, at that point I considered both Joshua and Clive dead. So when I saw the book, my first assumption was that Joshua was chronicling his and Cid's adventures, and someone (Jote? Jill? Vivian?) must've finished it up. Didn't really think about how no one else would know what happened specifically, but they know that Clive and Joshua won and destroyed magic, so an ending could build off of that.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Sure but Joshua's not the main character of the story. His brother is. As cool as some of the things Joshua does in the story are, they pale in comparison to the poo poo Clive pulls off. Like if we assume the book is an accurate depiction of what we see while we play the game (which there's exactly zero evidence for or against, but just for the sake of argument), I don't think anyone would see the in-universe Final Fantasy as the "chronicle of a person called Joshua Rosfield." They'd see it as the chronicle of Cid the Outlaw.
Okay, I wasn't saying that Joshua was the protagonist, but a major character and then this hypothetical different author is purporting to be the Joshua of the account in the book? There's a lot of freestyling going on other than the occams razor of "The book is the record of what we just witnessed" and "the author of the book is the author of the book".

keithy george fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 5, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The book at the end is fictional and is to show it actually is just a silly fantasy story after all, and those are for kids. You nerds!

Now more importantly, why did Cid have Clive stripped naked after he primed in the Benedikta fight? Putting him in the dungeon was so he wouldn’t harm himself, sure. But what good does him being naked do?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Probably so that he doesn't try to strangle himself or off himself in some other way in his own clothes?

That and the cheesecake factor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

he want to see he butt

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bugblatter posted:

The book at the end is fictional and is to show it actually is just a silly fantasy story after all, and those are for kids. You nerds!

Now more importantly, why did Cid have Clive stripped naked after he primed in the Benedikta fight? Putting him in the dungeon was so he wouldn’t harm himself, sure. But what good does him being naked do?

You ask why, I ask why not

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You ask why, I ask why not

Hi Cid

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If they did an XVI-2 or a post story DLC, I'd like to see it star Mid. In place of Eikons, she could have Edgar-style tools she switches between: Chainsaw, Air Anchor, Bio-Blaster, etc. I think it'd also be cool if it's set on The Continent (having taken the Enterprise there with Jill and Clive (who is alive but crippled now IMHO.))

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

gently caress I just realised why Titan Lost is called Devil Gundam in Japanese, it's a reference to the Devil Gundam from G Gundam. God bless ye, Yoship and your Gundam love.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ibblebibble posted:

gently caress I just realised why Titan Lost is called Devil Gundam in Japanese, it's a reference to the Devil Gundam from G Gundam. God bless ye, Yoship and your Gundam love.

is it really called that

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

is it really called that

It really is yeah, it rules lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought Titan Lost was called Devil Titan in Japanese, not literally Gundam.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh whoops, I just noticed my typo. It's Devil Titan yeah. I will leave my typo up in shame.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Spoiler alert:

Torgal is a good boy

This remained true to the end.

lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This remained true to the end.

lol

FF16 and Metal Gear Rising have so much in common its great.

https://youtu.be/ErRAM2wuMJg

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
he looks like dracula pulling the cape over his body in your screenshot

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Was there any follow up to that Vivian quest after you find the book. Dude was like ‘I’ll be back just you wait’ and then nothing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He didn't realise this was the final act.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That was my last sidequest IIRC so I was all "yeah see you too buddy".

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Also there was that dude at the end of the infamous quest with the rich dude and his son and their wolf. At the end that dude is like ‘maybe we will meet again’ all knowingly. I was hoping me and him were going to slit some throats in the future but nope.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

So, catching up with the thread, but I’m kinda surprised people are saying the potential for Clive’s death would be against the themes of the game and the character. I’m not sure what I think about what ended up happening and could accept it either way, but just because people tell a character to do something doesn’t mean they have to do it or it’s bad writing. Of course it’s perfectly reasonable for Joshua and Jill to tell Clive that he has to survive what happens no matter what, they love him and he is the most important person in the world to them. But he isn’t wrong, especially in the context of the story, and there is no way in the loving world that if sacrificing himself meant saving everyone he loved that he wouldn’t do it in a heartbeat, I don’t care what he was told. Especially if it only meant short term survival for himself, as he would die in a blighted world as well. One of the major themes of the game is people with power letting the world fall to ruin for their own short term benefit, and people in general refusing any level of sacrifice for the good of others, and Clive using his power to save the world at the supreme cost to himself is absolutely fitting as the ultimate refutation of that.

I’d also accept it if he crawled his way back though, as living through suffering is also a theme and losing Joshua (I don’t think both lived) and his hand would also be a hell of a sacrifice for the world’s survival.

***edit*** sorry for the double post, was catching up on previous pages and and didn’t realize I had made the last post.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 12, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Beat it, anyway for me to find out how long I took on PS5?
Anyway, good spectacle of an ending and fun to watch, even if the actual battle was like playing a tutorial at the beginning of the game. You can't really lose.
I think I got hit by every single attack of the laser bullet hell sequences. The combat got really dull, where in the last 30% of the game, I just really stopped caring or trying to dodge, other than the super telegraphed stuff coming 5secs away, because it doesn't matter. And most hunts/bosses ended up just winning by spamming the big moves on cooldown.

Can't believe Medicine Girl didn't come to save Clive at the beach.

In the end, I think Ultima was fine. They could have done more, but I think I was satisfied, especially the end when he lay dying. lol @ the final fantasy facepunch

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Beat it, anyway for me to find out how long I took on PS5?

Go to the PS5 home screen and your total time should be center-right.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'm just sad Ultima turned into a pretty boy for his final phase. I really liked his hosed up look.

Also I wish the first phase was an actual fight and not just a few QTEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
JRPG protags nowadays are wimps. Back in my day your party would casually kick the poo poo out of a god and his armies and all go home in time for the credits. Now it’s all “oh killing a god, so hard, that took so much out of me, I need a forever nap”. Toughen up, losers.