Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just beat the game. What a poo poo ending. I kept waiting for it to continue but it never did.

I enjoyed the game overall but I think that people everywhere calling it the best Final Fantasy ever is bizarre. Everyone has their own opinion, obviously, but that's just an odd take to me.

Have people never played VI? VII (both original and remake)? IV? Those all seem like obviously better games. I'd personally even rate VIII and X higher than XVI but I'm almost certainly in the minority on that. I've replayed all of those games several times but I think I'm good on XVI. I don't see myself ever playing it again but maybe I will at some point decades down the road.

Final Fantasy XVI: good to great but not excellent. Far from GOTY contention. I have spoken. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think right now 16 sits in my top 5 FF games.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s firmly in the “great, but not quite god-tier” category for me, sitting alongside its buddies VI, IX, and X.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What FF16 really needed was a fishing mini game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

What FF16 really needed was a fishing mini game.

Yup

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What it needed was to not have primogenesis and better,more fun side content.

Maybe a better ending.

What's it with Final Fantasies getting ruined by Genesis

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They're ruined by Mega Drive outside of North America.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think I've seen anyone declare it to be the best FF game? A lot of people have said it's the worst though.

For me it's comfortably the best since the series moved away from turn based combat (not counting 7R or MMOs). Probably in my top four or five overall but I don't have much nostalgia for 1-6.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I want Square do a character action game with FF16 inspired combat. Just nonstop combat and boss fights.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF16 is definitely the best of the Modern Era of Final Fantasy (post-FF10)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If we’re talking that era, then for me it’s probably something like 14 > 16 > 12 > 15 > 13 > 11

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I want Square do a character action game with FF16 inspired combat. Just nonstop combat and boss fights.

Isn't this basically Stranger of Paradise?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Isn't this basically Stranger of Paradise?

Same genre yeah but not what I had in mind. SoP is designed like Nioh which borrows from Souls games, so there's a lot of RPG mechanics involved.

SoP also has no vertical element in combat which is a big thing in games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC or Bayonetta.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WaltherFeng posted:

I think even if this game doesn't get a direct sequel that the basic combat engine has too much promise not to be reused for something like this

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think even if this game doesn't get a direct sequel that the basic combat engine has too much promise not to be reused for something like this

Does it?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yes because it's super responsive, and there's so many cool ways to make use of the combo system. A lot of people won't even notice how different moves interact with each other because the base difficulty is so low, but that's a matter of adjusting values here and there and tweaking enemy AI.

There's also the problem of ultimate moves. The combat suddenly flows a lot better if you don't use them because every move besides ultimates have some unique property that lets you chain them to other moves.

Here's some things I would personally implement:

- Enemies get a vulnerability debuff while they are comboed in midair
- More aggressive enemies so you need to adjust between defence and offence
- minibosses become vulnerable to launchers if you break their Will
- Ultimates can only be used under certain conditions like spending Limit Break gauge

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2023

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

Clive may cry

1 month later but ...Devil May Clive.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Personally I spent the whole game thinking you’d get a double jump power at some point. When I think “Blessing of the Phoenix” I think “aerial mobility”, not “flash step”

I think if you added that, some new weapons, and some new enemy AI/capabilities you’d have a decent CAG on your hands

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Personally I spent the whole game thinking you’d get a double jump power at some point. When I think “Blessing of the Phoenix” I think “aerial mobility”, not “flash step”

I think if you added that, some new weapons, and some new enemy AI/capabilities you’d have a decent CAG on your hands

Garuda's Eikonic Feat pretty much gives you that against large enemies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Rook's Gambit, Deadly Leap into Downthrust or Upheaval is pretty rad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You also get Enemy Step.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1699756208247484852?t=_cNRFLshq3drArtf720WNQ&s=19

Well that answers one of the questions I had about the lore.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's funny that the Water Crystal is further away from water than any other crystal save Earth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also funny that Drake's Tail isn't green like how wind element usually is in FF.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

McTimmy posted:

It's funny that the Water Crystal is further away from water than any other crystal save Earth.

Fire Crystal? Right in the water.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

...soooo Devil May Cry 5? But like, with a chocobo?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

As the playable character? gently caress yeah.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Yes

But just to be clear I"m not the biggest fan of DMC5 because that game has problems like too many drat buttons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Am I the only one who thought that Barnabus was having VERY weird sex with Ultima? Given he was taking multiple forms in their naked scene together, albeit to mess with him, not just his mother just also nude versions of IIRC Benedikta and Kupka, I read him as kind of specifically Ultimasexual, not really minding what form they took.

Also overall I liked only fighting Barny as a partial-Eikon, it kind of made him feel more dangerous, like he didn't HAVE to pull out the big guns and was preferring to get his hands dirty to the end.

I also thought Benedikta's reaction to getting low on health, just bellowing "FUUUUCK!" was really relatable, it's the same kind of reaction that I have when I die fighting a tough boss in a hard action game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Barnabas and his family belonged to the ultima worshipping cult IIRC so yes.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who thought that Barnabus was having VERY weird sex with Ultima? Given he was taking multiple forms in their naked scene together, albeit to mess with him, not just his mother just also nude versions of IIRC Benedikta and Kupka, I read him as kind of specifically Ultimasexual, not really minding what form they took.

Also overall I liked only fighting Barny as a partial-Eikon, it kind of made him feel more dangerous, like he didn't HAVE to pull out the big guns and was preferring to get his hands dirty to the end.

I also thought Benedikta's reaction to getting low on health, just bellowing "FUUUUCK!" was really relatable, it's the same kind of reaction that I have when I die fighting a tough boss in a hard action game.

Ultima does a lot of really funny poo poo if you take a moment to think on his actions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also I've only got three trophies left that aren't the platinum (which I don't count as it's just the one you get for getting the others): maxing out the abilities, which I'm gonna grind out on FF mode so that I'll have two playthroughs worth of points, beating FF mode which I'm currently midway through, approaching the most difficult boss (Liquid Flame, at least for me) and finally, doing the trials to get the final item for clive's room to get THAT trophy. I like that the bosses bookend too, the first boss that teaches you the clash mechanic ends with a layered 3-tier clash as you drive them into the ground with your sword, then the final boss has the same 3-tier clash for punching Ultima. Also fighting bosses in replay mode is fun as you are so overpowered you can kill them in one stagger as a single attack just deletes a third of the health bar.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 15, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It's worth noting that Ultima didn't really have a physical body, so while he was loving with Barnabus he probably wasn't actually loving him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting that Ultima didn't really have a physical body, so while he was loving with Barnabus he probably wasn't actually loving him.
Ah, good point, forgot about that. Also I think my favourite desperation move in the game is the Behemoth King's Apocalypse move, that's fun. Every spell in his arsenal sent out at once, THEN a meteor. Also Ultima's spells in the final boss were fun, I loved those versions of Holy, Ultima and flare.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 15, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Then whose lap was Barnabas resting on? Some poor Akashic who somehow managed to feel intensely awkward despite being zombified?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Then whose lap was Barnabas resting on? Some poor Akashic who somehow managed to feel intensely awkward despite being zombified?

That or Barbabas was so into it he was just going along with the hallucination. Either is entirely valid for that crazy gently caress.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Idk I know some people were down on Barnabas, but I actually really liked the progression of “oh wow this dude’s a badass” to “oh you’re actually just some insane weirdo with an Ultima kink”.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Idk I know some people were down on Barnabas, but I actually really liked the progression of “oh wow this dude’s a badass” to “oh you’re actually just some insane weirdo with an Ultima kink”.

Or possibly just a mommy kink that his god chooses to indulge.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hugo and Benedikta both knew Ultima existed because sometimes he goes to them and is like "please pretend to be me pretending to be you, Barnabus has developed a psychosexual connection with me and it's making things... weird..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Look, truth be told, I was absolutely planning to try to save all of humanity at the end, but then I realized I'd have to spend an eternity with Barnabas calling me Mommydaddy and sorry but you all have to die for that."