Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i recently got back into warhammer 40k last year against my better judgement but its been a fun experience. the general system is unwieldy af but i got super into the arts and crafts side over this past year. it all started when my friend handed me a 3d printer and i went ham making GBS threads out terrain.

i havent tried to print actual minis on my ender3 but this poo poo slaps for bigger stuff

my friend has a better one and does tons of minis with it but im pretty pleased with everything my entry level one has done.

but like i said i got hard into the artsy side of this despite having no visual art experience and its been wild. youtube is an outstanding resource for painting tutorials and after like 50 hours of videos i ended up painting up a tau army in fun mardi gras colors because i dont give a gently caress about canon and it was super cool to learn about the physics and mechanics of painting this poo poo.

some of this poo poo slaps, some of it looks awful but its cool to see the progression of even a year into this. i got into battletech recently as well and its been cool being old and having access to resources and money vs when i played these games at 15. like as a kid it was just so much harder at every step vs this go around and ive been surprised at how much fun i was having with so much less effort. i have been obsessed with learning how to paint metallics and last month i painted up my battletech dudes in some lovely jewel tones to practice for making my giant tau mechs glittery and majestic af.

i gotta detail these lil guys but im pleased as punch with how much sparkle these guys have in good lighting

idk i think 3d printers radically change the accessibility of this kind of stuff and its really fuckin cool to see all these roadblocks i had as a kid removed. 40k models are still expensive af but every other step of this process has been made so much easier, especially with 10th ed 40k hitting soon.

anyways i figured yospos statistically had to have a bunch of tabletop nerds and the tg forum is loving awful and i like all the threads i read here so why not add some white noise? idk i do d&d and like talking about world of darkness poo poo too and im not the posting cops so just come hang out

namaste and god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:page3:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you know, i think i might still have my old battletech boxed set with all the unseen mechs in it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was tyranids but I never had enough units to play properly and they said I couldn’t make a paper cutout of a carnifex in order to play and then I realised the whole thing is a scam

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah i do still have it, actually:

p neat huh? i think that rubber band on the marauder is all that's holding it together; i'm not sure tho as it's been literal decades since i even thought about these

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Foo Diddley posted:

p neat huh? i think that rubber band on the marauder is all that's holding it together; i'm not sure tho as it's been literal decades since i even thought about these

this is rad af

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh holy poo poo, i was looking it up and they're all unseen mechs. every one of 'em. wow

i thought, the locust and the marauder for sure, but which others? had no idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
40k 10th edition just dropped and the rules are available for free here

mostly it seems like things are getting simplified by moving a ton of stratagems and army rules to individual units and models. makes it way easier to handle if you have a unit card with everything on it. the psychic phase is gone and psychic bullshit has been moved into either weapons or abilities.

They also massively changed how characters/elites work with units of other models. Instead of the elites just being separate they are now leaders that attach to a unit and make one combined unit that gets effects from the leader.

looks pretty good so far imo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i played a 2k 9th game last night with my tau babies vs my friends blood angels. i lost but it was pretty fun except for how much of a slog 2k games are

melee tau went about as well as you’d think

also i got owned by deep strike

my friend is an art teacher so he kinda has my rear end beat on painting but its cool to see my army get colored in a little more every time we play

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Jumping in to 5 though i don't do tabletops, i'm not cool or smart enough or have enough friends to play them. will read with interest tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

Jumping in to 5 though i don't do tabletops, i'm not cool or smart enough or have enough friends to play them. will read with interest tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont actually own an army, but i have a buddy who has all the armies and loves playing so he let me use his admech in a crusade and its a blast.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
just going through my box of old tabletop games now

y'all should come over and play some car wars

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Not sure if I want to go all in on a whole army, but I've been wanting to collect some minis and give the painting a shot, seems like a pretty chill downtime activity.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

painting is chill af. legit all you need is a wet palate (parchment paper over a wet paper towel on a plastic takeout lid) some brushes, and a couple paint colors. games workshop sells paint at like $3-8 a pot but nerds recommend army painter brand

tbis is idk 30 bucks and a good start. the only other thing you need is primer so this paint sticks. im like 99% sure home depot primer is fine but i use hobby ones. all my metallics in the op are because i used a light silver primer and tinted it down with drops of jewel tone colors. but yeah a light coat of primer and youre off to the races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4JAFJglhWU

and then its just a matter of picking a goal and smoking some w̨͌ͯ̈́̅͢͏͇̬̺̤͚̜ ̳͈͓̼̼͊̿͑̍̄̋̑ę̷̶̞͚̙̻̹̺̙̠̲̐̋͗͌̀̎ͤ̚ ̖̪̹͕̳̺̪̖͕̋̃͑ͨ̊̓̏͡ȩ̵̛̘͈͕͈̭̄ͮͥ͋͑ ͚̰̘͆̾́ͭ̓̃ͨ̆̈́̀d̓̿̾ͩ͏̧͖̭̳͇̞̗̘. bingo bango chillest night ever. ive even thrown paint parties where i have all my friends paint terrain and gently caress around. idk the art side of this is fun as hell

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Foo Diddley posted:

hell yeah that rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
space crusade

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

just going through my box of old tabletop games now

y'all should come over and play some car wars

my greatest car wars feat was hitting a curve way to fast on my first turn and spending the next 8 turns of the game rolling off the map

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i would not mind painting some of my favorite models again

like stumpy 2nd edition space marines, gorka morka orks, 3rd edition khorne berserkers, this fantastic model (on the right):

matti
Mar 31, 2019

a model kit and few vallejo paints probably would not cost more than 50 euro... if i brought some tools from my parents when i visit them next. files etc.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

42,50e for a box of ork boyz when they were 30e i last looked is little rough

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

my greatest car wars feat was hitting a curve way to fast on my first turn and spending the next 8 turns of the game rolling off the map

this rules

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

under the old 10-phases-per-turn rules, resolving this could take upward of an hour of real time

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Foo Diddley posted:

under the old 10-phases-per-turn rules, resolving this could take upward of an hour of real time

i remember one game it took 5 of us 2-3 hours to play 8 seconds of game time, by which point 2 of us were rolling and 1 was on fire

car wars was the poo poo tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

those are cool colors, and i love the beads on the tank

Casual Encountess posted:

melee tau went about as well as you’d think]

lol

e:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

so a new version drop is this week and theve slowly put out all the necessary parts but this is one of the lovely but i think honestly inescapable parts about tabletop wargaming. theyre streamlining a ton of parts of the game, but theres a bunch of awkward poo poo because of so many complex system interactions. the nerds are chugging away at the math already which is great but like any balance patch, nerds on the internet are mad about it.

they made army composition not loving awful

9th

10th

and they changed how many points every unit costs so that all the optional stuff is free instead of point costed so if you wanted the giant gun you had to add on 20 points to the cost of that dude. so it takes a lot of stress off building armies for typical games using 1000 or 2000 points. and nerds Hate It

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i havent played a ton of 40k but my vague feeling is that there will be far more rules lawyering around unit and weapon keywords than anything else.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

matti posted:

i would not mind painting some of my favorite models again

like stumpy 2nd edition space marines, gorka morka orks, 3rd edition khorne berserkers, this fantastic model (on the right):

I want to be a guy who paints these lil fellas but doesn’t play the games

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i'll be the guy that doesn't play or paint them but looks at them and goes "huh that must have taken a lot of time and patience"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

polyester concept posted:

i'll be the guy that doesn't play or paint them but looks at them and goes "huh that must have taken a lot of time and patience"

yeah same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

epic same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed reading the rule books what does that mean

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah i hope its ok im just blasting poo poo out i think this stuff would be interesting to yall abstracted out so you dont have to interact with the gross nerd layer of things.

but for those of you reading along at home this is the document all the nerds are stressing about. its the brand new core rules for 10th which is releasing with the box set this saturday.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/dLZIlatQJ3qOkGP7.pdf

or specifically this one

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/oF1iWIkNsvlUHByM.pdf

but that one is boring and out of context. one of the cool things for new players is a more standardized “combat patrol” mode. it existed before with retail boxes but it wasnt particularly balanced so some factions combat patrols were insane while others sucked. from what theyve revealed, for this go around combat patrol games are like an hour and a half tops and are simplified and very beer league. sucks that its $160 for the box still but its something my friends could go out and buy today and play today and it seems like theyre actually making an effort at getting new players onboarded in a structured way instead of “good luck lol”

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Casual Encountess posted:

the tg forum is loving awful

it's truly incredible how an entire subforum can be completely devoid of humor

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

anyway, im the war corespondent (community organizer) for infinity in my area. we recently finished up our big annual tournament. 54 players from all over the us and almost $2,000 raised for a local food bank

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

whoa whats goin on with that game?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

200 years in the future, we've largely got things figured out but we all still snipe at each other plus there's some aliens who're gonna kill us. 15ish models per side, each one produces an activation that can be used on anyone else (with some exceptions). any enemy model that sees one of your models do something gets to react to it, be it shooting or dodging or hacking. d20 based, price is right rules. most people get into it because of the models or the wild tables it's played on. it's the biggest it's ever been and on the fourth edition but still fairly boutique

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

that sounds cool as gently caress. idk with my jump into 3d printing im excited to hear about new systems and games and im hoping this space goes nuts with lots of fun and weird poo poo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like you get extra points off the bat because i have an option to play as space muslims. i would try that game off that alone lmao.

quote:

The main human nations—PanOceania, the ultramodern Hyperpower; Yu Jing, its advanced competitor, born of Asia; Haqqislam, the new Islam of philosophy and humanism; the Nomads, anarchistic space wanderers; Ariadna, tough colonists stranded on a hostile world; ALEPH, the omnipresent AI that pulls the strings from the shadows; and the Non-Aligned Armies, which comprises small independent countries and the Mercenary Companies—led by O-12, the international organization that replaced the UN, must join forces to fight the outsider forces of the Combined Army and its master the EI, an alien artificial intelligence that plans to integrate the Human Sphere into its immense, all-devouring galactic empire.

quote:

Haqqislam is the new branch of Islam that resulted from the re-founding of this belief system from a humanistic point of view, based on the doctrine of the Search for Knowledge.

This new Islam has cast off the obscurantism of times past returning to its origins, to the golden age of the great caliphates during which it was a center of knowledge.

Thanks to its monopoly over the Silk Trade, essential to the process of Resurrection and other advanced medical techniques, as well as its prevalence in medical-pharmacological areas, Haqqislam has become a power in the human sphere. However, despite its politico-economic accomplishments the true goal of Haqqislam is the Search for Knowledge, the belief that wisdom will guide humanity towards Complete Knowledge, and total union with Allah.

like its cool that this isnt some dirka dirka jihad poo poo because we always get done dirty in games. like it sucks that for most of my life theres been a small but visibile group of racist wargamers present in larger communities ive been a part of and it was fuckin wild in the immediately post 9/11 years dealing with those dudes in local game stores. like a huge part of my exodus from Nerdy poo poo around then was super toxic levels of racism/queerphobia.

since my return a few years ago it seems people have mostly chilled the gently caress out which is a pleasant surprise. like in general, it seems that while theres still plenty of work to be done, a lot of nerd spaces are starting to not be 100% all of the time centered on white maleness and thats really cool and good. like theres still SO MUCH work to be done but i think these spaces in general, both online and off, have become more welcoming to newcomers and folks of all philosophies. like the general accessibility of things is just so night and day and im pleasantly surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
this isn’t the freshest news but one of my favorite books is being turned into a ttrpg:

https://www.yoonhalee.com/?p=1202

its a sci-fantasy setting with space magic called “calendrical warfare” - get enough people to follow your special calendar and you can travel faster than light, call down weather storms, erect powerful shields etc. but if you’re somewhere with a different calendar, your space magic might act weird or not at all! the galaxy is ruled by six major factions (formerly seven) that are ostensibly part of a single government, but in practice politics are wrought with intrigue and suspicion. will you reject the system and fight it? try to change it from within? or will you just become another cog in the wheel…

that’s my pitch idk it’s gonna be :10bux: for the ebook