Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Hello, and welcome to our blind Let’s Play of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, I’m sure you have a few questions so let’s get to it.

Who are we?
Just a couple of guys who are averagely bad at video games, I Aquasnake am taking the controls, while my friend SwordofKaz yells at my mistakes from the backseat. We’ve been doing this kind of thing together off and on for about 10 years, we’re just here to have fun and hope you will too.

What are we playing?
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, a game I know little about other than hearing good things in the past when it launched. It’s an over the shoulder shooter/action/adventure style game with some dialogue choices from what I’ve seen so far. It’s not related to the movies to my knowledge, but I have the slight advantage of having seen all 3 Guardians movies, the recent 3rd movie being the thing that motivated me to choose this as our next game. I know nothing about the game so I would prefer no spoilers, but feel free to spoiler tag movie or comic talk, references, etc.

When is it?
Videos typically go up on Fridays. We try to be consistent but we are both busy adults with jobs and responsibilities, so sometimes we end up missing a week.

Where can I find it?
Here, duh, but if you want to get technical, hosted on youtube with other stuff we’ve done, most of which I didn’t run threads for because I didn’t think I could make them work in forum format. This one I thought might fit better due to potential general Guardians of the Galaxy discussion due to the recent film release.
Episode 1: Starting with a Bang
Episode 2: In Memoriam Absentia
Episode 3: Prison Break and Paternity Shock
Episode 4: Thunderbolts and Lightning, Very Very Frightening
Episode 5: Trojan Raccoon
Episode 6: Hellbender Palace Escape
Episode 7: Between the Rock and the Body Snatchers
Episode 8: Markets in Knowhere
Episode 9: Weightless and Charged Up
Episode 10: Problem Exists Between Starlord and Terminal
Episode 11: Dreaming of Better Times (Or Better Games)
Episode 12: Escape to the Milano
Episode 13: Star Lost in Space
Episode 14: Mantis to the Rescue
Episode 15: Lost and Confused
Episode 16: Reflections, Promises, and Warlocks
Episode 17: Knowhere to Go
Episode 18: Cosmo in Knowhere
Episode 19: A Helping Hand
Episode 20: Fishing for Dragons
Episode 21: Instant Boss Battle, Just Add Dragon!
Episode 22: Imitation Death Star Trench Run, Now Contains Poor Decisions!
Episode 23: Penultimate Showdown of Mediocre Destiny

Why are we doing this?
Shits and giggles mostly. We’re both very laid back and just here to have fun and entertain. I sometimes intentionally, but largely unintentionally am incredibly bad a video games because I’m not paying enough attention to what I’m doing, or I’m trying to focus more on what I’m saying, or just generally out of it from long days of trying to raise a toddler. SwordofKaz is typically quick to call me out on my poor decisions, but it’s come to the point where some of our real life friends have turned our bad plays and stupid deaths into a regular Friday night drinking game. I won’t tell you what you can’t or can’t do, but watch responsibly, and most importantly, have fun.

Meet the Guardians

Peter Quill, Starlord: The leader of our band of intrepid adventurers, controlled by yours truly. He's quick with a joke and has a penchant for falling off ledges and pissing off his co-workers/teammates by saying the wrong thing. In this game he dual wields pistols that can have various elemental effects, as well as actually attempting to be a leader by giving orders and commands to the other Guardians in and out of combat, effectively (or in my case ineffectively) allowing you to control the entire group.

Drax, the Destroyer: Our resident dumb muscle, he is capable of lifting, carrying, throwing, heaving, smashing, and plenty of other verbs involving brute force. He's not necessarily unintelligent, but he lacks common sense and an understanding of wordplay. Not a big fan of Gamora.

Gamora, Daughter of Thanos: A masterful assassin, and probably the most put-together and emotionally mature of our gang. Quick on her feet both mentally and physically with blades ready to cut right through any obstacle, be it a rope, a pipe, or a person trying to kill me.

Rocket, the Raccoon: A furry little rodent that went through genetic experimentation and gained great intelligence. An expert pilot and tinkerer, able to make a weapon or device out of basically anything. Also able to fit into small spaces, though it's not his favorite pastime. Has a pretty short temper (Probably that trauma from being a lab rat) Caution: DO NOT PET!

Groot, I am:
A tree of few words.
He is best friends with Rocket.
Can grow leaves and vines.

One unintentional haiku later: A very versatile teammate Groot is great at crowd control and can tie down multiple foes at once with his vines, while also being able to make new paths in the environment by making bridges and platforms at a moment's notice. He is Groot.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is a great and shamefully underappreciated game. I liked the Gunn movies, but the characterization and the banter in this game blows those movies out of the water.
I hope you have as much fun with this as I had.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Am I missing something silly, or are the jet boots supposed to be the most awkward double jump arc in the last decade? It feels like maybe there should be an upgrade for them, or at least let you hold the button to hover a little for extra forward distance.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

The LP curse is still around after all these years. After almost running out of hard drive space in the second episode (my bad), this week I actually identified the clicking noise that's been coming from my computer. I originally thought it was the fans, but it was actually the water cooler, which I'm getting replaced later today.

But anyway, join us as we attempt to escape our past poor decision making.

Episode 3: Prison Break and Paternity Shock

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 2, 2023

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

Am I missing something silly, or are the jet boots supposed to be the most awkward double jump arc in the last decade? It feels like maybe there should be an upgrade for them, or at least let you hold the button to hover a little for extra forward distance.

I'm not sure it's that the double jump is awkward or if you just have no idea what you're doing.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I'm not sure if I mention it in the episode or not, but this whole episode takes place in a giant storm with constant lighting, and there's not even like a passing reference to Thor. I'm not sure if it's intentional because the Guardians wouldn't necessarily know him that well, or if the game just isn't willing/able to make references to other major Marvel properties like that and are just sticking with Guardians adjacent stuff.
I know this isn't related to the MCU or anything, but I thought cosmic marvel stuff interacted fairly often. I'm not too sure though, I'm more of DC guy. SwordofKaz tends to know more about Marvel.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not sure if I mention it in the episode or not, but this whole episode takes place in a giant storm with constant lighting, and there's not even like a passing reference to Thor. I'm not sure if it's intentional because the Guardians wouldn't necessarily know him that well, or if the game just isn't willing/able to make references to other major Marvel properties like that and are just sticking with Guardians adjacent stuff.
I know this isn't related to the MCU or anything, but I thought cosmic marvel stuff interacted fairly often. I'm not too sure though, I'm more of DC guy. SwordofKaz tends to know more about Marvel.

The game makes some references to the people of earth sometimes, but this iteration of the Guardians has basically just formed a few months ago and aren't super familiar with any of that. While Earth is weird, it's basically just one of countless planets which have similar things going on and Peter hasn't really been there for a decade. They may have heard of Thor, but not to the extend where they would think of him whenever they see some thunder.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Interesting, I definitely thought they had been adventuring together for longer than that, it sounded like just Gamora was a newer addition.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Only through enacting a plan that is literally too dumb to fail will we be able to pay off our outstanding parking tickets.

Episode 5: Trojan Raccoon

I'm not sure who people want me to befriend in this game, or how far the friendship mechanics actually go, but I've been partial to trying to befriend Rocket. I don't think I'm doing a very good job.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, turning away the camera while the cute dog gets some pets was infuriating.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, turning away the camera while the cute dog gets some pets was infuriating.

I aim to please.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Quite possibly the only thing we put less thought into than our dumb Trojan Horse plan, was the inevitable need for an exit strategy.

Episode 6: Hellbender Palace Escape

Luckily I am well versed in the arcane arts of running away and *checks notes* freezing random puddles of goo.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

I aim to please.

I think we can provide direct empirical proof of the opposite.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

This episode is unfortunately the best showcase so far of me not using my brain to be good at videogames and understand how to tactically take on a room of bad guys.

Episode 7: Between the Rock and the Body Snatchers

I've been feeling the need to bulk up the OP for a while now, but I'm not sure what else to add that wouldn't just be cribbing a wall of text from Wikipedia or something. Any ideas?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Honestly, just turn down the difficulty a bit. While I wouldn't call the game hard, some of the enemies are just massive hp sponges.

Aquasnake posted:

I've been feeling the need to bulk up the OP for a while now, but I'm not sure what else to add that wouldn't just be cribbing a wall of text from Wikipedia or something. Any ideas?

Maybe a short paragraph about the important characters?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I'm personally pretty terrible with money, so letting me loose in a market square without supervision is probably not the best move the guardians have pulled, but hey it's not like I would spend out whole parking ticket money on a gatcha machine or something... Or would I?

Episode 8: Markets in Knowhere

Also fleshed out the OP a little bit so it's not quite so barebones.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Double Feature!
Because we did actually upload last week, but I forgot to make a post about it because I was too busy playing Baldur's Gate 3, a game which is probably a bit more my style because I'm bad at action games sometimes*

Episode 9: Weightless and Charged Up
Episode 10: Problem Exists Between Starlord and Terminal

*It's a bit harder to focus on 'play good' when also focusing on interacting with SwordofKaz, mostly him calling me bad.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

The theme of today's episode is Flashbacks. We're both internally and externally reminiscing about the past, and how much better and/or worse things could be in alternate pasts.

It is yet to be seen if we're even gonna make it to the future of this game, or if SwordofKaz will throttle me before we get there.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

The theme of today's episode is Flashbacks. We're both internally and externally reminiscing about the past, and how much better and/or worse things could be in alternate pasts.

It is yet to be seen if we're even gonna make it to the future of this game, or if SwordofKaz will throttle me before we get there.

I honestly keep forgetting to do it when we might irl. Please remind me next time so I can put you out of my misery.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Everyone loves scripted slow-moving platform sections followed by waves of enemies right?

Episode 12: Escape to the Milano

Right!?

I sure hope so.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

We did not record this week because Hurricane Idalia disrupted our plans and we had to guard Florida instead of the rest of the Galaxy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The Guardians of Florida sounds like a completly different thing.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Guardians of Florida sounds like a completly different thing.

Feel like the Guardians of Florida would probably do a better job of protecting against Hurricanes than I do protecting the Galaxy.

Episode 13: Star Lost in Space

Look on in amazement as I completely misunderstand movement in 3-dimensional space in a game about being the captain of space ship.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

We're visited by a new/old friend Mantis here to help with a problem with Drax, meanwhile, Starlord struggles with being burdened by the best bug in the game.

Episode 14: Mantis to the Rescue

Pew pew, finger guns!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Together, we mourn the loss of my finger guns, as I get lost in my own brain fog.

Episode 15: Lost and Confused

We must be careful not to drown in my own stupidity, but at least it leads to a new temporary gun bug.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Sometimes... the only way to go forward is to STOP for a moment, and THINK.

Episode 16: Reflections, Promises, and Warlocks

And sometimes... I'm not very good at going forward.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

After recruiting some guy who fell into the wrong vat at his job at the paint factory, we're heading back to our favorite skull-shaped hive of scum and villainy where I blew all my money.

Episode 17: Knowhere to Go

Like most places in the galaxy, we aren't very welcome there this time either. Hopefully we at can at least find our puppy pal while we're there.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Double feature because I forgot to post last week. So here's the latest in the Guardians Knowhere saga.

Episode 18: Cosmo in Knowhere
Episode 19: A Helping Hand

Mostly fighting more cultists while looking for our favorite space dog.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

After running around playing fetch for a while, we're finally ready to leave Knowhere, setting off for ice planet Hoth.

Episode 20: Fishing for Dragons

Here there be dragons. Maybe. Unless we freeze to death first.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I finally made it to the biggest baddest beast, the unfathomable Fin Fang Foom. Fortunately, I fear no dragon.

Episode 21: Instant Boss Battle, Just Add Dragon!
Episode 22: Imitation Death Star Trench Run, Now Contains Poor Decisions!

But that thing... Spaceship controls... That thing scares me.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Strap in for a non stop series of fights as we make our way to break a promise.

Episode 23: Penultimate Showdown of Mediocre Destiny

As you may guess by the title, we're so close to the end, but it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

We've made it to the climactic finale, it's the episode that keeps on giving as I always think the end is just around the next corner.

Episode 24: It's the Final Boss Fight(s)!

After several rounds of unexpected boss fights we've finally conquered the galaxy, or saved it, if we even get credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Congrats on beating the game.
The streaming mode really ruins the end scene. Also Cosmo and his puppies would have shown up in the end if you were better at talking to dogs.

But I really like the magus confrontation. A screenshot of that skybox is still my desktop wallpaper.