Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I sleep like poo poo. I have untreated sleep apnea and my rear end sleeps way too long and wakes up way too often. I'm about to go to the sleep doctor next paycheck because I'm wack as gently caress for not taking care of this poo poo yet and I'd prefer not to wake up stone cold deceased in my bed with the bed stankin like puh because I was thrashing some crazy night sweats before God snatched my soul from my body.

Tell me about your sleep, everything about it, if you have footage of you sleep, people can watch it here and commentary can be made, hopefully constructive criticism as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm in Florence for the first time and it's amazing but I'm jet lagged to fuckin hell rn

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Just use the goddamn CPAP and blammo you're friggin' fixed*. jesus.

*I'm the guy buying CPAP machiens from Aliexpress and ebay so my advice is impeccible and perfect BTW

Seriously though use the goddamn CPAP. No bitching. Just do it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just use the goddamn CPAP and blammo you're friggin' fixed*. jesus.

*I'm the guy buying CPAP machiens from Aliexpress and ebay so my advice is impeccible and perfect BTW

Seriously though use the goddamn CPAP. No bitching. Just do it.

Yea it's gotten to the point that I don't think I'm able to work a normal job unless I take care of it, waking up every night with my bed soaked nasty was the final straw so I'm going to the sleep doctor next week.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you have to take a sleep aid the first night or 2 to get over the initial weirdness of either the sleep test or the 1st night you use CPAP.

Its not something you want to do every night for years on end but a lil' crutch to help you through the initial weirdness of it is fine IMO.

Sometimes if you ask nicely the doc will write a scrip for a few ambien or sonata. If not then a over the counter diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate is usually good enough.

Also try to get a CPAP machine with either EPR or Cflex. They're the same thing just a different name. They help deal with the initial weirdness of breathing out against the pressure. After a few weeks you won't feel it anymore of course. But getting over the strangeness at first is the hard part for most people.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you have to take a sleep aid the first night or 2 to get over the initial weirdness of either the sleep test or the 1st night you use CPAP.

Its not something you want to do every night for years on end but a lil' crutch to help you through the initial weirdness of it is fine IMO.

Sometimes if you ask nicely the doc will write a scrip for a few ambien or sonata. If not then a over the counter diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate is usually good enough.

Also try to get a CPAP machine with either EPR or Cflex. They're the same thing just a different name. They help deal with the initial weirdness of breathing out against the pressure. After a few weeks you won't feel it anymore of course. But getting over the strangeness at first is the hard part for most people.

My nighttime meds knock my rear end out so hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice I'll keep an eye out for those.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Are the machines themselves quiet?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If the seal is good and you plugged the tubing and humidification chamber in properly they hardly make a sound with any machine and mask made in the last 10yr.

Straight up whisper silent.

If you hear noise you got a leak somewhere.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sleep?

I haven't slept for 10 days OP!

Cause that would be too long

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If the seal is good and you plugged the tubing and humidification chamber in properly they hardly make a sound with any machine and mask made in the last 10yr.

Straight up whisper silent.

If you hear noise you got a leak somewhere.

That owns, I'm used to lots of background noise while I sleep tho so it prob wouldn't be an issue either way

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I sleep pretty good except nights mid week when I get my lunk on too late in the evening and go to bed with a massive pump.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've had insomnia on and off since I was 15. Sometimes it'd go away and I'd sleep alright for a month or two but eventually it'd fall out of whack again. I started using weed again about 6 months for it and it's completely cured except for the week I take off every month to get my tolerance down. Not going to work for everyone but it did for me.

Night sweats loving suck. I used to get those all the time too but now only when I'm withdrawing from THC.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I used to take zyprexa to sleep until it made me clinically obese

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pencilhands posted:

I used to take zyprexa to sleep until it made me clinically obese

Calories in calories out bro

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Poohs Packin posted:

?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yo LSBB have you seen waking life though? Since you're soon to become a sleep master, you should consider mastering your dreams.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poohs Packin posted:

Yo LSBB have you seen waking life though? Since you're soon to become a sleep master, you should consider mastering your dreams.

I have crazy rear end vivid dreams every single night because of my meds. They kinda rule mostly though and then occasionally I have a nightmare and it's hell on earth

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm in Florence for the first time and it's amazing but I'm jet lagged to fuckin hell rn

I was at the V and A museum in London and I went around the corner and there was David. It turns out would be an exact marble cast of the real thing but I started bawling

Some Japanese couple that was videotaping then started videotaping me crying in front of him

Enjoy your trip, tell him hi

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Are the machines themselves quiet?

Yeah I just got a new one and it's quiet as hell

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s me, I’m the CPAP denier. I just couldn’t do it. Tried for weeks, every time I would FINALLY pass out from sheer exhaustion the stupid hose would get caught on something and wake me up.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Have you tried taping your mouth shut OP?

I probably need a CPAP machine myself but taping has helped a lot. I sleep better and wifey says I don't snore as much.

I've tried several kinds of tape but the best so far are KT-Tape and the cheap paper-like medical tape.

Also if you drink alcohol, quitting will help.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
i feel for you booger baby and other goons with probable sleep apnea. pretty sure i'm the same. i ended up with floppy eyelid syndrome and the dr told me it's usually linked, and i have had trouble sleeping for many years.

it's a bit better these days as the pills i take for anxiety also help with sleep so i was told to take one before bed each night.

still get poor quality sleep often though. nothing worse than sleeping for 10 hours and still having no energy the next day.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Night sweats loving suck. I used to get those all the time too but now only when I'm withdrawing from THC.

i don't get the sweats but when i take a weed break i do get the absolutely wild and super vivid dreams.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have always had sleep issues and foolishly got into a line of work with early hours so my life is an ongoing nightmare of exhaustion.

Oh and my gf is about to start using a cpap machine so going by what a princess and the pea I am, :rip: me

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Poohs Packin posted:

Zyprexa is known to cause insane weight gain that is listed as unlimited potential. On top of the fact you are guaranteed to get diabetes. It's a potent drug but its side effects are goddamn nasty.

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

I pretend to be Darth Vader with my CPAP mask!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

every time I would FINALLY pass out from sheer exhaustion the stupid hose would get caught on something and wake me up.
They make these holders you can fit by your bed or a bedside table to hold the tube out of the way. They're on Amazon for pretty cheap. Any gooseneck style holder will do though.

If that is still a no-go for you then look into oral appliances (EMA is usually the cheapest and easiest to use, get it fitted by a dentist) or even perhaps the Inspire device (requires surgery, IMO its a last ditch approach but if you can't stand CPAP or oral appliances it can be worth a shot). Neither work as well as CPAP, and both can still require a acclimation period, but they do help at least.

isaboo posted:

Have you tried taping your mouth shut OP?
Also if you drink alcohol, quitting will help.
Taping the mouth shut will actually reduce or even stop snoring....however it will also make the sleep apnea worse. Or cause you to aspirate stomach acid if you have GERD. The old old school version of this was to wear a cloth around your head to keep the jaw/mouth clamped shut and did the same thing.

There are some people that tape their mouth closed because they can't keep it closed with CPAP and a nasal mask. If you have to do that (you shouldn't BTW, but whatever works) then look into sensitive skin style tape. Micropore (paper medical tape) and Transpore (plastic stuff that tears easily) can work but they tend to make your lips chapped and sore after a few weeks.

Quitting drinking does help but doesn't really do much to fix sleep apnea for most people unfortunately. Typically they just go from really severe to severe-moderate which can still be pretty bad. Always some exceptions of course but that is typically what you'll see.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

still get poor quality sleep often though. nothing worse than sleeping for 10 hours and still having no energy the next day.
The pills will knock you out but you'll still have sleep apnea so your sleep quality will be poo poo still. Sleep quality is key to getting restful sleep. If you google the term 'sleep architecture' and read up on it for a few hours there are some interesting articles on this. The R&D, and $$funding$$, is all in focusing on sleep apnea's effects on reducing strokes, heart health, and obesity or diabetes so its not brought up much in a dr's office.

You have to fix the sleep apnea to get good to decent quality sleep and fix your issue.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The pills will knock you out but you'll still have sleep apnea so your sleep quality will be poo poo still. Sleep quality is key to getting restful sleep. If you google the term 'sleep architecture' and read up on it for a few hours there are some interesting articles on this. The R&D, and $$funding$$, is all in focusing on sleep apnea's effects on reducing strokes, heart health, and obesity or diabetes so its not brought up much in a dr's office.

You have to fix the sleep apnea to get good to decent quality sleep and fix your issue.

yeah i'm waiting to hear about when/if i can get a sleep study and get properly diagnosed. luckily i'm in a free healthcare country but it'll probably take a while because they're slow af with non emergency stuff.

i got an apology letter from the NHS after i finally had an operation on my eyelid and it was something like, "we aim to see patients with your circumstances within 90 days, we took 210, sorry about that"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My little girl cat is so cute but my god she just comes in every 20 minutes and sits on my chest until I wake up, then she kneads my arms until I move, god damnit let me sleep

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

i got an apology letter from the NHS after i finally had an operation on my eyelid and it was something like, "we aim to see patients with your circumstances within 90 days, we took 210, sorry about that"

"oopsie poopsie we blew out your healthcare SLA by over twice as long as we expected, loving sucks to be you! bet you wish you had privileges huh"

ugh

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Taping the mouth shut will actually reduce or even stop snoring....however it will also make the sleep apnea worse. Or cause you to aspirate stomach acid if you have GERD. The old old school version of this was to wear a cloth around your head to keep the jaw/mouth clamped shut and did the same thing.

There are some people that tape their mouth closed because they can't keep it closed with CPAP and a nasal mask. If you have to do that (you shouldn't BTW, but whatever works) then look into sensitive skin style tape. Micropore (paper medical tape) and Transpore (plastic stuff that tears easily) can work but they tend to make your lips chapped and sore after a few weeks.

I'm not doubting you but why does it make sleep apnea worse? Eh, I guess it doesn't address the obstructive part of sleep apnea.

What about exercises like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNscQ3bGxNk

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 18, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation

dervival posted:

"oopsie poopsie we blew out your healthcare SLA by over twice as long as we expected, loving sucks to be you! bet you wish you had privileges huh"

ugh

i can't complain too much tbh, the actual treatment and stuff has been generally pretty good here in my experience, but as usual it's underfunded by the gov which causes half the problems.

even prescriptions are free here though which is great because i once looked up how much my medication would cost in the US and it was like $150 a month without insurance, and i'm currently unemployed so i would be screwed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

your body doesn’t need sleep, that’s a medical myth

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

luckily i'm in a free healthcare country but it'll probably take a while because they're slow af with non emergency stuff.
Lucky indeed!

Usually the quickest, but lowest quality data, is to do a home sleep test. In lab is way WAY better data and data quality wise but can cost more too. But I guess you don't have to worry about that.

If you do the home test make sure to tape the probes in place. People pull them off all the drat time which is why the data quality is crap.

Poor quality data = doc has to guess or flip a coin on whether you do another sleep test.

Again, lucky indeed!

Delays are super common here in the US for all kinds of non-emergency stuff and no one cares anymore.

Bad Purchase posted:

your body doesn’t need sleep, that’s a medical myth
Back in the 80's they tried this because they noticed some people had a euphoric experience when sleep deprived.

It was, briefly, pitched as a drug free cheap and easy all natural way to address depression!

Then people started to go reeealllyyy loopy, get into car accidents, or just plain have a psychotic break and that all got brushed under the rug fast.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 18, 2023

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

currently use

- blackout sleep mask
- blackout curtains
- neti pot rinse a few times a week to remove blockages before bed
- air humidifier+purifier combo
- melatonin
- white noise machine playing ocean sounds

and I still sleep like poo poo because i have to get up to piss 5 times a night. maybe i need a bedpan. or just a milk jug. yeah thats it

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

i can't complain too much tbh, the actual treatment and stuff has been generally pretty good here in my experience, but as usual it's underfunded by the gov which causes half the problems.

even prescriptions are free here though which is great because i once looked up how much my medication would cost in the US and it was like $150 a month without insurance, and i'm currently unemployed so i would be screwed.

yeah, it's just frustrating that the people in power there are doing their best to undercut it to make it match the poo poo we've got here in the states. apologies if my venting seems like it was in support of anything else, just mad that the world is continuing to go to poo poo

and I misunderstand things easily

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Lucky indeed!

Usually the quickest, but lowest quality data, is to do a home sleep test. In lab is way WAY better data and data quality wise but can cost more too. But I guess you don't have to worry about that.

If you do the home test make sure to tape the probes in place. People pull them off all the drat time which is why the data quality is crap.

Poor quality data = doc has to guess or flip a coin on whether you do another sleep test.

thanks for the info. i do worry that i won't be able to get to sleep during the tests and my general anxiety doesn't help with that but it's worth a go. i always hear stories from people who get a cpap or whatever treatment for their sleep apnea and after one nights sleep they're like, "holy poo poo this is what it actually feels like to be well rested!"

and yeah i'm super lucky about it all being free which is why i try not to complain about stuff like waiting.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mr. Meagles posted:

and I still sleep like poo poo because i have to get up to piss 5 times a night. maybe i need a bedpan. or just a milk jug. yeah thats it
Do you have a UTI, take diuretics, or have kidney issues? Or just drink too drat much before bed? edit: or yeah the beetus?

For the former you gotta talk to a doc to get some meds switched up or treatments done. For the latter middle just stop drinking so much a couple of hours before bed! For the latter see a doc somethings not quite right!

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 18, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation

dervival posted:

yeah, it's just frustrating that the people in power there are doing their best to undercut it to make it match the poo poo we've got here in the states. apologies if my venting seems like it was in support of anything else, just mad that the world is continuing to go to poo poo

and I misunderstand things easily

nah i get it dude, sometimes feels like for regular people everything is just getting worse non stop, no matter the country. does my head in as well but i just try to be happy with the good stuff i do have or i'd go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr. Meagles posted:

currently use

- blackout sleep mask
- blackout curtains
- neti pot rinse a few times a week to remove blockages before bed
- air humidifier+purifier combo
- melatonin
- white noise machine playing ocean sounds

You got the diabeetus?