Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
If u drink like 15 shots you'll probably be able to sleep a solid 8-10 hours hth op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

condolences on the lovely sleep op. what's the caffeine intake like?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

thanks for the info. i do worry that i won't be able to get to sleep during the tests and my general anxiety doesn't help

Most HST's are like 3-4 probes and super easy. You gotta thingie on your finger, belt on your chest, and a O2 tube looking thing (its not) in your nose.

Sometimes not even that. A kid could do it.

But seriously tape everything in place! But on the finger thingie, if you squeeze it then it reads weird. Tape on the cord on the back of your hand!!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mr. Meagles posted:

currently use

- blackout sleep mask
- blackout curtains
- neti pot rinse a few times a week to remove blockages before bed
- air humidifier+purifier combo
- melatonin
- white noise machine playing ocean sounds

and I still sleep like poo poo because i have to get up to piss 5 times a night. maybe i need a bedpan. or just a milk jug. yeah thats it

I use a bluetooth mask with a constant low bass noise playing, blackout curtains, mouth tape, and those Breathe Right nasal strips (Walgreens brand is the best).

400mg Magnesium + 200mg L-Theanine is a lot better than melatonin for me. L-theanine is amazing stuff, it really helps with anxiety.

How much melatonin do you use? From my experience and what I've read, less is better. 300mcg seems to be the sweet spot according to research.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

isaboo posted:

From my experience and what I've read, less is better. 300mcg seems to be the sweet spot according to research.

Really depends on your age.

If you're 'young' (10-30-ish IIRC) than 1.5-3mg is enough.

Older people (60+) may need to take 6-10mg though!! The pineal gland breaks down as you get older and produces less so you need more as you age.

Taking too much can cause freakish (usually real unpleasent but YMMV here) vivid dreams and cause other weirdness so don't do that it aint' fun.

edit: the other 'natural' common OTC drug to take for rapid sleep on set is Valerian. Most common side effect I've seen is it makes some groggy for most of the day.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 18, 2023

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Getting a CPAP made a huge difference in quality of life for me. The only problem I have now is getting too hot in the middle of the night.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I just take the 3mg tablets from CVS, so 10x more than 300mcg, yeah. I could stand to do some more research on sleep supplements

No beetus I just drink a lot of water throughout the day and honestly its just harder holding my bladder these days

The sleep mask was a life changing buy though, 100%

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

almost1337 posted:

The only problem I have now is getting too hot in the middle of the night.
If you haven't already try turning down either the humidifier to 1 or 0 (default is usually 2) and/or turn off the tubing heater (its there to prevent rain out (condensation clogging) which is handy in winter or if you sleep in a real cold room).

Mr. Meagles posted:

No beetus I just drink a lot of water throughout the day and honestly its just harder holding my bladder these days
If you can reduce the liquids intake a couple of hours before bed time. If you have dry mouth issues look into a mouth moisturizer mouth wash (Biotene) or spray (Spry). Both can work fine it comes down to preference and flavor.

Other than that got no ideas to help sorry!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just use the goddamn CPAP and blammo you're friggin' fixed*. jesus.

*I'm the guy buying CPAP machiens from Aliexpress and ebay so my advice is impeccible and perfect BTW

Seriously though use the goddamn CPAP. No bitching. Just do it.

This is what I do. I titrated the pressure by having my gf listen for snoring and I adjusted accordingly. Can't sleep without the machine now though.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

op the oxygen deprivation from untreated sleep apnea over the long term will eventually make your heart, brain, and dick stop working so be careful

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can sleep in a 100% oxygen atmosphere to mitigate that

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i used to get up frequently to pee at night but then i stopped chugging a bunch of seltzer before bed and instead chug a bunch of water at 8pm and now i sleep much better

small potatoes compared to others here but for years i was like 'man i wish i didn't wake up every two hours at night' *chugs seltzer*

i'm remembering now that prior to seltzer it was beer -_-; so that's how it started

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've given sleep advice to people in TCC for a decade. Those people are typically dealing with a drug withdrawal that is causing the sleep issue. This is kind of a collection of advice and personal observations in no order.

1. ) Exercising to exhaustion is the best natural solution you should try first when having issues sleeping.
2. ) Complete 90% of your daily water intake three hours before bed to stop nighttime urination.
3. ) The first thing you do when you wake up is drink water which facilitates the previous step.
4. ) If your stomach is digesting a large amount of carbohydrates, you increase the tryptophan levels in your brain. The only reason I don't really recommend this is that you should always take in a lot of water when you eat, which means nighttime urination in my experience.
5. ) Benzodiazepines initiate sleep better than the drugs in the Ambien family.
6. ) Your body will be disturbed from sleep if you eat a lot of gassy food and have a low fiber intake. A poor diet in general alone will hurt sleep badly.
7. ) BCAA supplements help initiate sleep at nighttime when it is appropriate instead of when you consume them. Strongly recommended.
8. ) You can sleep better in an upright position like a long plane ride if you can sleep naturally on your back.
9. ) There is almost no circumstance where it is good to be sleeping on your stomach.
10. ) The more time you spend sleeping on your stomach or in a position where your face is pressed into a pillow, the more permanent wrinkles your face will have and the earlier you'll develop them.
11. ) Keep your bedtime consistent. The body does expects to initiate sleep at the same time every day even if you feel like you have energy to keep going.
12. ) Stress hurts sleep. A strong skillset of denial and compartmentalization will help you disregard stressors. You guessed it, this helps initiate sleep!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i don't get the sweats but when i take a weed break i do get the absolutely wild and super vivid dreams.

I’m going on a work trip next month and this has me nervous. By the 3rd night without thc my brain goes into overdrive.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

condolences on the lovely sleep op. what's the caffeine intake like?

I don't drink caffeine lol

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I was born asleep and have never woken up.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lunk hard sleep hard

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Simply going to bed and getting up at relatively consistent times, even on weekends and holidays, has done me a lot of good. I've slipped out of that recently and really need to get back on track.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you have dry mouth issues look into a mouth moisturizer mouth wash (Biotene) or spray (Spry). Both can work fine it comes down to preference and flavor.

Another thing that helped me out a ton with dry mouth is a product called Xylimelts

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I’ve been up for 37 hours straight and it doesn’t feel very good.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Three and a half last night and this morning. Woken up in the middle of the night, and kept there, by the loudness of the mistakes I've made and the way I've treated people I care about over the last year or so.

It sounds all rather 2004 Livejournal, and it's not meant to, but there's an underlying issue. I think I have undiagnosed ADHD of some sort, I routinely just lose time going over things again and again in my head and it seems to kick into overdrive when I'm trying to sleep.

It would be lovely to go to sleep with either a clear conscience, or the ability to just pass out all night regardless.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sucrose posted:

I think my record is 32 for some reason, it didn’t feel good. you need to lay down!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't drink caffeine lol

jesus christ

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

parthenocarpy posted:

3. ) The first thing you do when you wake up is drink water which facilitates the previous step.

7. ) BCAA supplements help initiate sleep at nighttime when it is appropriate instead of when you consume them. Strongly recommended.

9. ) There is almost no circumstance where it is good to be sleeping on your stomach.

3 is probably one of my biggest pro life tips. It is the second thing I do after waking up. First is peeing of course.

7) mind elaborating on the appropriate use of bcaas?

9) I am a lifelong belly sleeper and I've tried a lot to fall asleep other ways. Any tips?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't really need it, a walk around the block usually wakes me up without turning me into a nervous, wired mess the rest of the day. I'm mad sensitive to caffeine.

I do occasionally make cacao drinks with the pure stuff you can get in giant slabs. I blend it up and put it in a milk frother and have these silky smooth hot chocolates, because they haven't been processed like regular chocolate, they're still chock-full of the theobromine that's usually taken out. That works a lot better for me, it makes my body feel more energetic with minimal weird brain poo poo. It also has a slight amount of natural caffeine in it for just a zip.

The best part is that it's dark, dark bitter as gently caress stuff so you can do what you want with it. A little bit of cinnamon, honey, and some cayenne for a hot, spicy, bittersweet treat in the morning with my oatmeal. It's good for you!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bollig posted:

3 is probably one of my biggest pro life tips. It is the second thing I do after waking up. First is peeing of course.

7) mind elaborating on the appropriate use of bcaas?

9) I am a lifelong belly sleeper and I've tried a lot to fall asleep other ways. Any tips?

Stick a pillow between your legs. Sounds dumb, but it keeps me on my side.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Why is sleeping on your stomach bad exactly?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wendigee posted:

Why is sleeping on your stomach bad exactly?

Whenever I sleep on my stomach I get poo poo like my neck/upper back getting hosed up in my sleep.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I fuckin threw out my lower back deadlifting so I can’t sit upright for a long time so I’m just in bed sleeping at random hours hoping my body heals quickly but now I’m waking up at like 1AM and poo poo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I mean I somehow got arthritis in my shoulders from sleeping on my stomach with my arms above my head lol, but I found it insanely comfortable and this can't be common. I blame my dad's crappy joint genes.

Fuxk I should be sleeping I got work in 4 hours. I find it hard to sleep on my back but if I don't I can mess up a shoulder joint for a week or more and occasionally have to get a steroid injection to make the pain go away and they really don't like giving those out very often, I guess it's pretty ad to have more than one a year or something so here I am.. on my back.. wide awake.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I also really enjoy sleeping on my stomach with my arms up.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

It's the best😮‍💨

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I definitely recognize it might mess with circulation of the back of the shoulder joint though so I tend to not go full on THIS IS THE POLICE SHOW ME YOUR HANDS NOW position but sort of a “lower” version

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah even doing it for an hour now makes my arm hurt for the rest of the day so I just don't tempt fate anymore. I sleep on my side and it's fine, but then the pillows have to be arranged just right to keep my neck from hurting and waking me up in the middle of the night.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toxic Mental posted:

How often do you dream you’re Superman?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I found that a cocktail of edibles, melatonin, Benadryl, and good old fashioned alcohol knocks me out. Sure, it's hard to wake up in the morning, but caffeine pills washed down with some sugar-free energy drinks takes care 9f that and does a fine job of reolacing the ADHD meds I'm supposed to take but don't because I AM NOT PAYING 200 GODDAMN DOLLARS FOR A MONTH'S SUPPLY OF PILLS.

Sure, some folks might say what I'm doing is dangerous, but without the meds and supplements I'm simultaneously too wired to sleep and too tired to function, so I just sit and stare at the wall waiting for nothing in particular.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Deep breathing exercises also help a lot before sleep

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
My body's latest trick is waking me up at 3am and only allowing me to drift for the next couple of hours and refusing to quieten down. I keep forgetting to take my Ivedal in the evenings so it could be that. Or I should channel my early morning burst into more shitposting.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Toxic Mental posted:

Deep breathing exercises also help a lot before sleep

I'd do those too, but pot is still illegal in my state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Ive been up about 14 hours and doesnt feel very good either........

Ive got lower back pain when i sleep. So i have to sit up anywhere from 1-6 times during the night.

I got a huge wedge shaped pillow that puts me sort of sitting up like that dude from that cher movie with the dude that had to sleep sitting up.

but it completely fucks my neck.

so i get to choose between a sore back or a sore neck.

death is going to be so sweet, just laying there, no back pain, no neck pain. No need to worry about work.

hell yeah