Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One trick I've been doing for decades now is when trying to fall asleep, I construct elaborate scenarios, filled with details, to occupy my mind. This way, I am thinking about this fake scenario, rather than the stress of work, or family issues, life concerns, etc. It's like counting sheep, but more involved.

You've got to really think of the details. For one example, I think about how I'd survive on a deserted tropical island, with a waterproof trunk of items. What would I put in the trunk? How would I get water, food? What kind of shelter? Etc. You can come up with anything you want, but the key is it has to be as unrelated as possible to your real life. Because if it's too similar, you'll find your thoughts going back to those real world concerns.

Worth trying if you find your thoughts keep you awake as you try to go to sleep. Don't cost nothin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mozi's guaranteed 3-step program for instant sleep:
- get in bed
- turn on kindle
- close eyes

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I got one of those memory foam mattresses a few years back and it's not only good for my lovely back but also for sleeping. I've always been a restless sleeper even as a kid so I toss and turn a lot. I also get up to piss a few times a night because I take drugs that make me piss a bit more frequently.

None the less I sleep way better than I did with my old mattress that I kept and just put underneath the memory foam one.

I hope I never get the sleep acknea it is.

get your prostate checked if you havent yet. this message is brought to you by large prostate gang.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I have restless leg syndrome and its the terrible one-two punch of 1)getting poo poo sleep even though my body and mind very much WANT to sleep and 2)being the silliest god drat mr bean sounding thing ever

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

flubber nuts posted:

get your prostate checked if you havent yet. this message is brought to you by large prostate gang.

Because of the pissing? It's been a few years, but I had it checked, well, a few years ago after a doctor also shoved something up my dick hole.

The pissing at night is because I drink too much before bed and also because of something I take to help me get rid of excess sugar in my blood because I'm a diabetic.

I should probably get it checked again though.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've had the pissing and went to a urologist and they couldn't find anything and best I can tell its caused by an old groin injury

doesn't seem to be related to liquids much. I can stop drinking water 3 hours before bed and I'll stoll get up to piss 2 or 3 times.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think 2-3 times a night is pretty normal and not worth worrying about in and of itself

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mozi posted:

i think 2-3 times a night is pretty normal and not worth worrying about in and of itself

Sounds like big prostate exam just wants to shove fingers in people's asses.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

One trick I've been doing for decades now is when trying to fall asleep, I construct elaborate scenarios, filled with details, to occupy my mind. This way, I am thinking about this fake scenario, rather than the stress of work, or family issues, life concerns, etc. It's like counting sheep, but more involved.

Yeah I do this at times as well, when successful it transitions to a kind of semi-dream state then you're out.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds like big prostate exam just wants to shove fingers in people's asses.

:blush: yeah i was waking up to piss a bunch and they found an enlarged prostate where my normal prostate should be. they put me on some forever med flomax and now i can sleep through the night without having to get up to piss.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

flubber nuts posted:

:blush: yeah i was waking up to piss a bunch and they found an enlarged prostate where my normal prostate should be. they put me on some forever med flomax and now i can sleep through the night without having to get up to piss.

Sup Flomax buddy! I still get up once to piss but it's much better than before. Saw palmetto helps too.

For those of you that piss a lot but don't have prostate problems, try getting your daily water requirements in the first 10 hours of being awake. You should be well hydrated enough after that to not need more water, and it should reduce nighttime frequency. If you need to take meds of any sort before bed, use the least amount of water needed to get them down.

I've started taking a GABA capsule along with magnesium glycinate before bed and that helps calm me down.

I'm also on day 30 of at least 60 days away from weed. The vivid dreams are what wake me up now. I go ahead and piss whether it's a strong urge or not at that point.

I'm still not sleeping more than 4-5 hours at a time but it has been easier to fall back asleep since I've quit the weed. I'm hoping it'll continue to get better the further away I get from using.

I've probably got sleep apnea but I haven't been checked. Might install a sleep app to see what's up with snoring and waking. My wife sleeps like a rock so she's not able to tell me much, unless I wake her from thrashing about from sleep terrors. Thankfully those have been less frequent lately.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

redshirt posted:

I play Star Wars in my head. I've watched it so many times I can pretty much recite all the dialogue in my head and I rarely make it out of Mos Eisley before I fall asleep.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Doing some basic elderly person type stretches shortly before bed helps me quite a bit. Something like this is almost guaranteed to get you yawning, or release some weird tension that you were holding during the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-JTekPq_RQ&t=9s

I also lie down on a yoga mat for a while, sometimes with supports, and let my body adjust to lying on a flat surface that doesn't accommodate any bad posture thing that I'm doing. So you gotta work a bit to get comfortable and relax, and there's feedback.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mozi posted:

mozi's guaranteed 3-step program for instant sleep:
- get in bed
- turn on kindle
- close eyes

This works for me 95% of the time, but when it doesn't, I read an entire 450 page book.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I’ve been using a cpap machine for almost a year and it’s amazing. I wish I had a little tube pushing air into my nose during my waking hours too. Just be sure to clean that poo poo on the reg.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

Not one person has mentioned praying before bed.

always thank the lord!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
I missed CPAP chat, but as the wife of a CPAP user, it's great. He wakes up before 2pm, he doesn't yell at me for making noise before 2pm, he's productive when he's awake, he can binge watch episodes of a show after work. The machine itself is only as loud as a toilet running - easily drowned out by the TV or a white noise machine. And he loves it so much he cleans it and takes care of it all by himself, AND insurance covers it.

Don't turn down the CPAP because it might disturb your partner; it's better for them too.