Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Takes me forever to fall asleep and then I end up oversleeping aaaall the time. It's rough.

parthenocarpy posted:

I've given sleep advice to people in TCC for a decade. Those people are typically dealing with a drug withdrawal that is causing the sleep issue. This is kind of a collection of advice and personal observations in no order.

1. ) Exercising to exhaustion is the best natural solution you should try first when having issues sleeping.
2. ) Complete 90% of your daily water intake three hours before bed to stop nighttime urination.
3. ) The first thing you do when you wake up is drink water which facilitates the previous step.
4. ) If your stomach is digesting a large amount of carbohydrates, you increase the tryptophan levels in your brain. The only reason I don't really recommend this is that you should always take in a lot of water when you eat, which means nighttime urination in my experience.
5. ) Benzodiazepines initiate sleep better than the drugs in the Ambien family.
6. ) Your body will be disturbed from sleep if you eat a lot of gassy food and have a low fiber intake. A poor diet in general alone will hurt sleep badly.
7. ) BCAA supplements help initiate sleep at nighttime when it is appropriate instead of when you consume them. Strongly recommended.
8. ) You can sleep better in an upright position like a long plane ride if you can sleep naturally on your back.
9. ) There is almost no circumstance where it is good to be sleeping on your stomach.
10. ) The more time you spend sleeping on your stomach or in a position where your face is pressed into a pillow, the more permanent wrinkles your face will have and the earlier you'll develop them.
11. ) Keep your bedtime consistent. The body does expects to initiate sleep at the same time every day even if you feel like you have energy to keep going.
12. ) Stress hurts sleep. A strong skillset of denial and compartmentalization will help you disregard stressors. You guessed it, this helps initiate sleep!

This is really good advice all around. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU