Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So having several polychrome jokers goes pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MJeff posted:

I have a double tag and my two options are:

- Buffon Tag: Free Mega Buffoon Pack (pick 2 out of 4 Jokers)
- Coupon Tag: Initial Tags and Boosters in next shop are free.

gently caress me, that's a hard choice.

My best run was getting the money one followed by the negative jokers one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised people are struggling with the Black deck. I've found it to be the easiest to play with so far (aside from the checkerboard deck... Good LORD)

Anyone get the joker that gives permanent plus chips to a played card? If you have effects that re-trigger a card, it will get the extra chips again. It's a funny way to run up the left side of the formula.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've found it's most helpful to just slam down as many Jokers as fast as possible (with most decks) and then sort them out later. Black gives you more options.

Like, the first two ante levels don't actually need the jokers to win. By the time you do need them, Black should have more.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh lord, you can get the Arm early. That's devastating.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Today I learned:

Red seal cards in your hand will re-trigger effects like Raised Fist when they remain in your hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After what I learned about multi triggering, I now need to try a deck with a ton of red sealed steel cards.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have found the reward decks harder to use than any of the basics. Haven't tried the higher stakes to get all the other reward decks, but that's what I see.

I also feel like Black, Yellow, and Green are generally all better than Red/Blue.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

rath posted:

Hit a wall on black stake for a bit but finally broke through with massive tarot generation. Stupid leaf made me sell my Fortune Teller so I couldn't take it super deep in endless though. Does anyone know if your run is just bricked if you fill up on unsellable jokers?

Can't prove it, but my assumption is "no, but it would be very hard".

Your hands' base values and Jokers should both still be active.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My worst foe is the Psychic. Not because he's hard, but because I am too careless to remember I need to play 5 and it cancels the whole hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Color Printer posted:

Do note that if you play less than five cards against the psychic, your hand is completely and totally disregarded, even if it was one card just to trigger DNA.

Yyyyyeeeepppp. Hardest boss for those of us with a goldfish attention span

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Won't you get that the first time you log out? As far as I can tell the game won't let you go to main menu from the game over screen, and you actually have to start a new game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This card's effects broke me.

It has Holographic, so I definitely want to play it, yet it has a purple seal, so I definitely want to discard it, but it has steel, so I definitely want to hold onto it and not play it or discard it but it has holographic so------

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

grate deceiver posted:

Where are you people seeing those stats? Is it per run or overall profile-based?

Overall. Stats is located in options.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

I know expectations for this game were sky high but it's way better than I thought it would be. The higher difficulties make the game so interesting and the colossal # of jokers in the game makes so many runs crazy and reward you for recognizing combos.

I wonder if this will open itself up to the workshop, or if the dev will deliberately avoid it...

This has potential to go really, really deep into its own rabbit hole.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm ok with that. I wonder how many I have bought. I grab it basically every time I have spare dosh, mostly because I keep expecting it to do something eventually.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harlock posted:

I'm fairly sure the game targets you if you use one thing too many times. The amount of boss fights I've had that specifically point out my all face card deck or two pair sets money to $0.

The latter of the two specifically targets your most played hand, and is a property of the boss.

The former is like the suit-specific bosses. You can definitely draw any of those if you have literally 0 in the suit/face cards

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've seen a couple people with thinned decks, which somewhat surprises me. My best runs generally have me going --fat--. (Like 60 plus cards) And it seems like removing only a sporadic few cards would be troublesome to making straights consistently, and straights have some of the better synergies and also scale better than almost everything.

When you discard out and have to make really specific combinations, I don't think deck thinning makes a lot of sense at all. It clearly works for poopacy who is clearing orange, but...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ok, phew. I thought I was really losing it.

I will definitely take a stab with some of those mentioned destructive cards, but a lot of the time, I wind up regretting it. Usually, if I have a suit switcher, it's just sitting around in reserve as a last ditch "oh poo poo!" button. (Which explains why I gotta Flush! Heyoooo)

If I do thin a specific rank for whatever reason those guys become prime candidates for Steel enhancement.

I'm a dreadful failure of a goon. I have picked High Priestess more than Wheel of Fortune.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Level 0 was interesting to play. Arm was maybe overtuned, but at the same time, I feel a little bad to have lost an effect/puzzle.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Of the decks I own, Checkered is somehow one of two that I haven't won with.

The other is Green, which also surprises me, because on paper, Green looks strong as all hell.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

C'mon, game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CJacobs posted:

Man that voucher is poorly worded. I avoided buying it because it seemed useless until I realized that it's not just a max raise, it's $2 wherever you'd get $1, so even if you don't hit the cap you benefit a lot.

The Green Deck doesn't earn interest.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

So the correct way to play most deck builders is filling your hands with junk cards, right?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It says it's compatible with Brainstorm, and Vice Versa, but neither actually copy the thing being copied, nor do they make a chain.

Edit
I discarded a Royal Flush to unlock you, you bastard.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I haven't seen it do that yet, but I would be very, very hesitant to believe that means it can't.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have definitely tried it and it does not work for scoring because moving something once you start scoring is moving too late, even if you move before any trigger is relevant.

However, in the example that Nemo posted, they aren't actually moving it for scoring. Nemo moving it after scoring, because gold cards are an end of the round ability. I wouldn't have thought to move it for those, but it makes sense that they are tallied differently than scores are, and they would be able to move it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Pipski posted:

Do cards with seals count as 'enhanced cards' for purposes of stacking Dracula joker's multiplier? It doesn't seem like they've been workikng, but I haven't been paying enough attention.

They don't. Seals are Seals.

Also not counting toward enhanced are foil, polychrome, and holographic, if you get those on your playing cards.

The three take up three different types of slots. Enhancements are basically everything else.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Everyone is different. I have more wins with black than checkerboard.

Only a couple of red stake wins, though. I think Blue was my first and... I forget what all else. I'd been playing on white again because I kept screwing my runs up.

I feel like the game got harder as I unlocked more stuff.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tafferling posted:

Speaking of card buffs, does a red sealed steel card proc twice or is the seal activated by actually scoring a card in a poker hand? I've never intentionally tried one.

Yes, it procs twice.

A red sealed card that happens to be the lowest card in your hand will proc rebellion twice, too.

No Wave posted:

Vampire is just overtuned. It seems too good even without gold mask, though maybe not in orange+ because you wont always have a bunch of random useless enhancements in your deck.

My run yesterday started off with two Polychrome Vampires. Unfortunately, you can't level them both in the same hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you take it on ante 9, do you have to fight a second final boss, or is the ante 8 boss a regular boss?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Color Printer posted:

just loving wait until purple

I've done two reds.

Granted, I have been doing all the decks at once, instead of one at a time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Relyssa posted:

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

No joke, I'm convinced the reason why the Psychic is bright yellow is so it's more easily distinguished from the other boss blinds.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That particular one will not.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Listen to me.
Never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot be.
Never let anyone tell you who you can and cannot be friends with.
It's all an illusion.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

jjac posted:

I know one thing that will...

Naw, I'd just play my cards left to right. Splash means they all will play, and basically my whole deck was modded.

I couldn't take that build into endless, really, but it was never in even a little danger from the main run.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Bald Stalin posted:

Matador not paying $8 when each card played costs $1 is bullpoo poo.

I agree. It should pay out 7 dollars a card. Or at least 3 dollars for a full hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Been slowly raising my decks through different stakes, not playing every day. Getting through red.

Except the checkerboard deck. What looks like the easiest deck on paper is my white whale. I have yet to win with it at all. I've gotten to the ante 8 boss at least 3 times I can recall.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The card replacement/red seals everywhere thing is well and good, but requires an absolutely stupid amount of luck to actually pull off.

I can reroll heavily and get maybe one or two red seals an entire run, fishing for them. If I am very lucky, I can then make that card steel. I can make lots of cards steel, but not both steel and sealed.

Death doesn't show up in the store when I actually give a poo poo. And when it comes in a pack, the idiot pack doesn't draw my sealed card. Ever. I've only had duplication luck with DNA, which I have seen maybe three times in 20ish hours.

Not actually a gripe, since that applies more to endless than anything. The base game can be beat any number of really fun ways. Quite a few jokers synergize unexpectedly well. And having some that don't and diversifying yourself is also viable, at least on the earlier stakes. I suspect on the later ones too, but you might need more luck with other types of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Are video game ratings boards as obfuscated and somewhat secretly hyper religious like the the MPAA?