Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I actually had a really good build going with Bus Stop, Pants, and another joker with a multiplier for playing pairs. Unfortunately I never got any planets that increased the level of Pairs, and I couldn't slim down my deck, so I hit a wall all too soon despite having 30+ multipliers on both Bus Stop and Pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
“Did the update break this game? It says the Mark only makes face cards get dealt face down, but it’s dealing all my cards like that! How are you supposed to beat this!”

Forgot I had Pareidolia in my Jokers.

It was an early Ante so I still won just slamming down cards blind and getting some lucky pairs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Finally won my first game, so now I can try decks that aren't the red deck.

Jokers were Pareidolia, Smiley Face, Hack, Raised Fist, Red Card (+57), Castle (200 chips)

Grabbed Hack late when a "I can't win this run, whatever" Ouija pull gave me a hand full of 4s, which actually had some great synergy with Smiley Face and Pareidolia.

Still ended up using Mr. Bones twice though, and to reroll that last boss blind because I knew I couldn't deal with the Extra Large blind I originally was facing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I went from not winning any games to whatever the heck this was (my 2nd ever win).

This was the real star of the show:

Blueprint doubling a 9.5x Canio just murdered blinds left and right, and I had 2 Pair at level 11 (and most other hands above 5 or 6) thanks to all the free planets I was getting.

I should have ditched the 8 ball, but I got greedy trying to level up more hands.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

Smeared Joker would count all qualifying cards. If you have Lusty Joker and Smeared Joker and play a flush containing diamonds and hearts, it should count them all.

Keep in mind, this applies for debuffs as well.

I was rather unhappy to see that debuffs applied to regular wild cards as well.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

sirtommygunn posted:

Put your your xmultiplier jokers to the right so they're applied last, it will make a big difference in your score.

Thanks; current run has a Polychrome Blueprint doubling a Foil Baseball (that itself has 4.5 X) and it's demolishing blinds even with my other meh multiplier increases.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tenacious J posted:

Am I the only one that hears the music playing in my head all day long at work..?

Yes because I immediately turned the music off.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I finally made it to Ante 12 on the back of Fortune Teller, Blueprint, Hologram, Mime, and a huge pile of Steel cards. 300 million blind was too high of a wall for me to the climb though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I got brutalized by the black deck for about 20 runs before I beat it. The early game was just loving brutal every time

Yeah Black is giving me a real hard time too. My run that has gotten the farthest was also the stupidest where I only had 2 hands, 3 discards, 7 hand size but 2 copies of Raised Fist.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I finally got my first win off Black (after many many many restarts and failures) with a very weird deck.

I started out with a Holo Blue Joker (+chips per cards in hand) and The Trio (3X if a 3 of a Kind is included) and figured I was going to be building for 3 of a Kinds, especially after Blueprint and the Wily Joker (+100 chips for 3 of a kind) showed up.

Which of course is when I stopped getting any luck with 3 of a kinds or Full Houses, so I dropped Wily Joker for Mystic Summit since all I was doing is discarding, then 10-4 showed up and helped me get past the mid-game.

Then in Ante 6 DNA made it's first appearance, and broke the game very very badly. My first hand with it had a Lucky Ace show up, so I hit it with a Blueprint + DNA combo. After which I just kept doing that over and over again until every hand I was playing 5 Aces.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hackan Slash posted:

Black Deck is at a huge disadvantage out the gate, -1 hand size is a score and money problem.

You need to get a scoring joker ASAP, if you don't have one by the shop after the ante 1 boss you're basically done. Depending on the tags offered remember you can beat small blind with one high flush, big blind with any two flushes, and boss blind with 2 high flushes with no scoring help. You need to try and do this to get max money to buy stuff to help you survive.

Agreed. I initially tried skipping the early blinds if they had something good that I'd take on the other decks, but it ended up just not being worth it unless it was something like a Buffoon or maybe a Spectral pack. You don't have the cash for rerolls, so you really need to hit the store as much as you can to fish for an increase to your scoring.

It's basically the opposite of the other early decks, where you can put the +chip/+mult stuff aside for a bit in favor of +econ.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This really should be an achievement

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Current run has Vagabond, Credit Card, and Fortune Teller so I guess I'm playing all Tarot, all the time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wow I think that's the first time I've lost a game due to the Ox (had a big bank and The Bull, but had to play the forbidden hand or lose the blind).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Is there a recommended deck for doing Green/Black/Blue/Orange difficulties to unlock the rest of the decks? I did Red Stakes on Checkered but figured I'd see if there's some pro-pick before I bang my head against these for hours.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well I just discovered the joy of Faceless paired with Pareidolia on the Checkered Deck.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Well I just discovered the joy of Faceless paired with Pareidolia on the Checkered Deck.

This with Scary Face took me really far, but eventually I had to ditch Faceless because even with 1.5 Mult from Polychrome I was worried it wouldn't carry me to the finish line.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hell Yeah posted:

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

Since you can still sort your cards by rank, I’ve just bulldozed through that situation a couple times by picking all my highest rank cards and hoping for something good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I had to google which Tag I was missing because there's one I've never unlocked:

It was Juggle (+3 Hand Size).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm definitely getting salty trying to beat Purple stakes; this is the 3rd time I've had a really good run hit the Ante 8 boss and have it be specifically tailored to shut me down.

This time was particularly painful; I had the boss who debuffs all your cards until you sell a joker. But 'lo, I can skip the Small Blind and get a free Negative Joker in the final store, which should solve the problem nicely.

And the game gives me a Negative Eternal Joker that doesn't do anything with my build, forcing me to sell one of my good jokers and causing me to fail by about 4k chips.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Decided to take a break from slamming my head against Purple stakes to go for the $400 unlock. Figured I'd use the Anaglyph deck and unload the Double tags when I got something that gave me extra money.

I didn't get a single tag that gave money the whole attempt.

Still got the unlock anyway:

I had both vouchers that increased the interest earned, so I was getting $20+ per round played at the end.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher stake levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Honestly I'd be happy with just a "fuzzy" approximation, like "we think this combo will give a higher score" without having it try and break down that combo A gives me 100k but combo B gives 120k.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm still struggling to get past purple stakes. I think I will definitely be passing on doing gold runs any time soon.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

been banging my dumb head against orange stake with chequered deck for the past two evenings. i only have the other decks up to green stake so went all in on chequered thinking "aw yeah this flush poo poo is easy i'll beat every stake with this ez"

but now i see flushes in my nightmares and have forgotten how to play a normal deck with four suits

BALATRO

Same for me, except for purple stakes. I tried some of the other decks for a change of pace and couldn't remember how to play anything that wasn't a Flush.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Not the Jokers I thought I'd be using to get past Purple stakes, but I'm happy to be free. Cloud 9 kept feeding Bull so I was regularly around 200 chips on that card, and of course Hologram was giving a tasty 6.5 X at the end.

Card Sharp got picked up right before the Ante 8 boss to replace a Ramen that I had worn down.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

Starting to bang my head against the wall in black stakes and find it not fun. Too much rng where a bad boss or very unlucky start can end an otherwise good run. I think red stakes might be my new default until the patch that addresses rng.

It only gets worse from there I'm afraid. The 2nd Ante scaling increase at Purple stakes means you either reset a lot for good skips in Ante 1, or reset at lot in Ante 2 when you don't get anything useful in the shop.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Aggro posted:

I didn’t think it was THAT bad to finish all of the stakes, particularly with some of the gimmicky decks like Abandoned, Checkered, Anaglyph.

But guys, seriously, what fuckin’ black magic do you have to pull off to finish the final 3 challenges!? More than half my runs don’t even make it past the first boss.

I got stuck on Purple for over a week (granted I can only toss a couple hours a day into this game) and am now banging my head against Orange. Using the Checkered deck lets me consistently get out of Ante 1, but honestly this stopped being fun a long time ago.

No Wave posted:

I think purple is where it becomes challenging. Winning is pretty straightforward until then (unless you're playing black deck or your boss is VV).

This wildly misses the mark on challenging; I feel like I am largely just waiting for the game to allow me to clear the stakes at this point. There are just a ton of seeds that cannot survive into Ante 2 because the stores gently caress you over in a way that you can't play around.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Swashbuckler 43 mult on final hand, Constellation 3.3X mult

First (and only) Gold Stakes win on version 1.0.0.n and boy was this setup getting by on the skin of its teeth.

Stuntman showed up in the first shop, but I struggled to get +mult jokers and for a while mostly had only +chips until Swashbuckler showed up. I knew it was very very risky, but I then grabbed the Eternal Egg just to try and get ANY kind of scaling going.

I actually had Astronomer for a while, but of course didn't get nearly as many planet cards as I had hoped; the planet voucher didn't show up until super late. Near the end I swapped Astronomer for Acrobat because I was falling behind the curve and needed any kind of boost I could get.

I wanted to swap over to High Card, but I kept getting Flush planet cards so I ended up sticking with that all the way until the end.

Frankly I thought I was hosed when Cerulean Bell came up, and I did have to play some High Card, but I lucked out and got to finish off with a Flush which blew past the ~60k I had left to go.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Hand size of 3, hit the Psychic.

This might be an issue.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MJeff posted:

The siren call of Ectoplasm claims another...... 😔

Actually, I took a Stuntman on the 5 Card Draw challenge because I was playing High Card/Pair anyway.

Thankfully I was still strong enough after selling out of Stuntman that I beat the blind (and the challenge), but it was a real hoisted by my own petard moment.

As for Ectoplasm, I did grab one while doing the On Knife's Edge challenge, only to have it hit the joker that was about to be sacrificed. Didn't cost me the run, but I was quite miffed at that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well this was certainly a setup to have for Fragile. The Brainstorm only came in on the final blind though; before that it was a foil Supernova.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

I lost a Golden Needle run because I re-rolled the final boss from Verdant into Violet and couldn't one shot 300k. Got to 250k or so.

My worst was losing a run where I not only rerolled into Violet, but the amount I missed the target by was the result of me constantly screwing up blinds where I was trying to scale my jokers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Color Printer posted:

Oh, I didn't know that.

My point still stands though for at least stone joker, I've had plenty of runs with stone cards

Stone was the last one I found for Collection, because I just don't use Stone cards that often. I had to start deliberately going hard on econ so I could dig for the thing.

MJeff posted:

It's not worth the trouble. You now understand Obelisk joker.

Unfortunately I have to use it for this Monolith challenge.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

Straight up ignore it for the Monolith challenge. Build towards Pair/High Card. You still have 4 joker slots you can put whatever into so build around Marble Joker instead.

Pretty much what I did after I lucked into an early Pair of Pants and a Baseball Card. Just 2 Pair + Stone until victory.

No Wave posted:

Idk why there's so much confusion when it comes to obelisk. For that challenge play pair until ante 6 then switch to high card+any two pairs or three of a kinds you luck into. Obelisk will be 4xing you by the end.

It wasn't confusion so much as me joking around because I found it to be an unfun challenge.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Spare Pants is one of the best use cases for Obelisk though, just stop playing two pairs sometime in Ante 7 and you can rack up a big obelisk multiplier while keeping all the pants bonuses you've accumulated.

But by that point I didn't NEED to switch since I'd already had to build myself around having a "dead" joker slot. I can certainly see the idea behind the Monolith, switching it in mid-game when you're starting to fall off and need that XMult, but for the challenge it's just kind of a dud.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Roseo posted:

I kinda like the certificate card with the new blue seals. It gives a bit of econ, a bunch of tarots for econ/deck growth, and scales your chosen hand. I picked up an early eternal half joker, added an eternal certificate to it on a lark, used the blue seal cards to scale pair and the gold seal cards to get my econ going, and over time added eternal madness and eternal constellation. By the end I was picking up 2 pair planets at the end of each round to scale my base chips/mult and constellation, ~3 tarots a round, a pile of cash from the various gold cards the tarots were giving me, and then cycling through the store for 3-4 more planets and any useful tarots in the packs.

I actually really like Certificate just because it's a +1 to your hand size for the first hand, which I've found useful if playing for pairs/three of a kind. It's terrible if you're looking for hands that benefit from deck thinning, but it certainly has it's place (especially paired with the jokers that scale by you adding cards to your deck).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Balatro in a nutshell:

Had a REALLY good Gold Needle run going with Bloodstone and Blueprint, then encountered The Head and my normal flushes just didn't cut it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So I'm playing Gold Needle, and I already have Acrobat and I'm now being offered a choice between Banner or Brainstorm and I don't know which one to choose.

Normally I'd take Brainstorm, but this is the first store so it's really tempting to grab Banner so I can coast through the first 2 Antes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

After losing so many promising runs with amazing cards (including one with a Canio that stopped seeing Tarot cards) I finally cleared Gold Needle thanks to the power of Straights.