Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just got this game and holy poo poo does it rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Does the order of the jokers on top matter at all?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

quiggy posted:

Yes, they go off left to right. For jokers that say something like "all Spades give +4 Mult" you don't have to worry about it, but any joker that directly gives you 2x Mult or whatever you should put at the end. Doubling Mult is more effective when you have more Mult to double, obviously.

Incidentally the same applies to playing cards. Make sure your glass cards are on the right!

Lugubrious posted:

You generally want your jokers that multiply the multiplier all the way to the right, because jokers generally activate left to right and you want your mult as high as possible before it gets multiplied. Some stuff complicates this, like Ancient Joker applying when the card scores instead of when jokers activate (which is after the cards score), but it's a good rule of thumb.

Infinitum posted:

Everything triggers from left to right.

+Chips and +Modifiers should go on the left. Doesn't matter what order.
XModifiers should ALWAYS go on the right

There's some advanced trickery you can do once you start unlocking Jokers that copy other abilities, but the above is basically how you should set thongs up.

Thank you for the info! Glad to see there is more depth to the game than it appears.

Also, the music in this game is incredible.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:discourse:

Very spicy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Won my first game! :yaycat:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Artelier posted:

This card shop triggered my XCOM doubt response

I've used it many time™ and never had an issue.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

No Wave posted:

Just mentioning again that the switch touchscreen implementation is ridiculously good. My joycons are drifting/broken and still got through 15 challenges in one massive travel clusterfuck after I turned them off entirely and put them away. Plus using a joyconless switch almost makes you look like a normal person.

100% this. The game feels like it was built for the Switch.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zurai posted:

Just give the actual "Joker" joker for free at the start. The +4 mult and nothing else one. That will at least give you a little bit to build off of and help survive the first 2 antes until you have time to build an actual engine. At the same time, it's not something that would ever be part of your build for the final couple of antes because it's too weak, and it only sells for $1 so it doesn't offer a significant advantage that way either.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Eye:

"Oh you made a flush and full house deck? How about you go gently caress yourself instead?"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oxyclean posted:

Wild cards getting a similar treatment also sucks.

Totally, it was VERY annoying to find that out the hard way :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i desire a third, even more powerful type of banana

:hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It's a banana, Michael. How hard could it scale, 10X?

God damnit.

:bravo:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

He wants to add a daily challenge mode and a lot of support in the future, that's rad

Daily challenges would be awesome.

Just won with the yellow deck for the first time with a full house build. Got lucky with a few spectral cards and had 15 kings and 17 jacks.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

I am looking forward to my productivity screeching to a halt the instant a mobile version releases.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MJeff posted:

How do you set it so you're only seeing the questions and answers and not all the extra reddit cruft.

You can click on the devs name to see their profile and comments. Probably the easiest way to do it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This game really dug its claws in me, I cannot stop thinking about card strategies and discussing it with my friends.

A Redditor transcribed the AMA with the dev into an easy to read post for those interested: https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bebf1g/balatro_developer_ama_transcript/

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

thank goodness, I finally know how to pronounce balatro

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

Who are these clowns that think the game would be better with a story/character? :psyduck:

It's a little sad that this is a common expectation.

Not every game needs to be an epic cinematic experience :colbert:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I just got this game yesterday what the gently caress it’s all I can think about

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I feel like stone cards would work great on a high card build.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

FYI: If you're really stuck on Boss Antes where you're given cards face down, you can use Tarot cards like the mult one to temporarily flip them over to see what they are.

!

Holy poo poo that is genius.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Chadzok posted:

Hologram cares