Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

drat, that was an OP as hell set of jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I was up way too late last night and went to bed thinking "by the time I get up, game will be out" and instead I just also woke up way too loving early.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/ufDAouo

make money money.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

seems like a pretty good first run after the demo

Well, you annihilated me but I still was doing pretty good. "High card" was my most played because I had the joker that gives +1 for every hand you play so I'd play my spare hands to get future multiplier since I had a ton of money rolling in from another joker.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

White stake seems a lot easier with the full version, less restricted than the demo. I haven't lost with any of the 4 decks I've tried so far. I got to stake 12 with a ridiculous set of multiplicative jokers but I couldn't get past that. I like the green deck the most at the moment.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

The blinds are scaled down; ante 5 for example (what used to be the last full ante before the demo boss) now requires 22k instead of 32k. The final boss goes up to 100k now but you get 8 more rounds to build up.

ah, okay, makes sense.

lol, there's a joker that can appear when e: gros michel goes extinct, was that in the demo?

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

barnold posted:

black deck sucks so loving bad. you either get the RNG to get the +1 hand voucher or you die

I agree that it's hard to get off the ground, but because of its lack of gold from having less hands whixh doesn't let you even get to the bonus joker most of the time. I think all it needs is +2 starting gold maybe or I'm missing the correct way to play it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Found a way to make DNA work for me.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

mama mia that's a spicy meatball

e: I still died at small blind of ante 12, that's gotta take some deck. I guess I shoulda subbed out one of my worse jokers before it got too late, only got to 175 million across 5 hands at ante 12.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 22, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Motörhead deck.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

somebody send me a deck full of more stone cards, stat, I've only got two.

I just got a negative joker skip when I'm riding high and it's the x multiplier for empty joker slots you have one. gently caress! This run was going so mega well, too. Think I'm gonna cap out at 12 again though.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 22, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

absolutely bonkers luck. run still going. dont think i owe any infernal powers for this, not entirely sure though

e: instant hubris karma as the very next small blind got me. still, gives a good idea of what its gonna take to crack the highest Ante's
e2: yknow what thats probably enough balatro for one night, got some good unlocks that'll really help future runs

Woah, is that getting to 13 or finishing 13? I can't quite remember how it's set up from the UI.

I can pretty consistently win on white stake with every deck but black now. I haven't gotten past the 300m small blind at 12 yet, though.

Unrelated: I'm pretty sure the seeds for runs are super specific, like you'll even draw the same cards? Might be fun to share seeds and record runs to see how different people go about playing the same seeds.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

After what I learned about multi triggering, I now need to try a deck with a ton of red sealed steel cards.

Yeah, I had the joker that gives held kings 1.5x, a red sealed steel king and the one that triggers face cards twice. I only had one king like that, though, so the run only got to 12.

Slum Loser posted:

The black deck is giving me a rough time. You think one extra joker slot is worth anything and then you die penniless for your hubris.

I've never restarted runs or died on ante 1 or 2 this often, or just scraped by into ante 5 and later.

Only a good flush or better can beat the first hand in one round, which feels necessary to have a shot at buying the very cool poo poo you need to continue or make use of the deck power... it's a good "gently caress it" deck I guess because it forces you play really tactically but also just spend money knowing you need everything to make those 3 default hands count...

I can consistently win in 1 hand on the first round, it's just that even doing that doesn't give you something worth enough half of the time. And that's just on white stake, going up just one difficulty means small blinds aren't even worth doing for black deck most of the time.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

barnold posted:

loling at steam reviews. babby's first roguelike

There's a review like this for every single roguelike that ever existed and the problem is always that they don't bother to utilize all the mechanics that help you win. I bet there is a way to win the majority of seeds, on difficulty 1 there's probably a way to win every time.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

My worst foe is the Psychic. Not because he's hard, but because I am too careless to remember I need to play 5 and it cancels the whole hand.

Meanwhile, I don't even understand what decks the psychic is supposed to be difficult for and I play 5 cards at a time for the majority of hands.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Atoramos posted:

Yea, I went to destroy cards early in a run then realized thinning isn't necessarily the default strategy, which I don't think is something I've encountered in a deckbuilder before.

I have played many deckbuilders.

Roguebook rewards you for adding more cards to your deck.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ok, phew. I thought I was really losing it.

I will definitely take a stab with some of those mentioned destructive cards, but a lot of the time, I wind up regretting it. Usually, if I have a suit switcher, it's just sitting around in reserve as a last ditch "oh poo poo!" button. (Which explains why I gotta Flush! Heyoooo)

If I do thin a specific rank for whatever reason those guys become prime candidates for Steel enhancement.

I'm a dreadful failure of a goon. I have picked High Priestess more than Wheel of Fortune.

I've picked Death the most.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Well that was a close one.

e: jesus, blueprint+burglar is absolutely busted.

Yeaaaaah, that's not gonna be a problem for this deck lol.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 24, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

another deck for the small blind ante 12 graveyard, this was the easiest/most brainless run I've had yet.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

the flush deck is so dumb, lol.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

reading the card explains the card.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

What's the worst joker in the game? My vote is for Matador.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Yeah, the spectral one might beat it out. I was just annoyed that the 3 bosses I tried Matador on, literally none of their abilities triggered it so it seems like it has an extremely narrow use and all you get out of the deal is $8. Red card is at least usable until the difficulty where ante makes pack price go up.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

A list of mostly good changes, I don't understand buffing Bloodstone and nerfing Onyx Agate though. I never even give onyx a second thought and Bloodstone was already really good.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

Showman. Every other joker is, at worst, neutral (well, okay, besides Madness but Madness is good). Showman makes your tarot and celestial packs worse just for the outside shot at a second copy of a really good joker. Unless there's something I'm missing, of course, but Showman is the only joker that even if it was free and Negative I would probably not take it.

Showman let me double immolate a whole selection of cards I didn't want from a 2 pick spectral pack so it's definitely not worse than Matador.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Did gold stake pretty easily on the beta version. I don't feel like the rental jokers are that punishing, basically because when you're doing well on a run you have enough money to make up 3 gold per turn anyway so either you're doing well and it doesn't matter or you're doing bad and it doesn't matter anyway. It feels like it mostly just narrows joker selection early on like eternal does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Blue stake is still -1 discard after the changes. I was fine with Green deck until gold stake before, it being literally my favorite deck. IMO the -1 hand size alone made it miserable, just like it makes black deck miserable. In short, yes, getting rid of -1 hand size at gold stake would have fixed it, in my opinion.