Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had a Gros Michel go from Ante 2-7.

One day I'm gonna eat one of those things. I hear they still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

if its a card you want out of the deck you probably aren't set up to use it very often, if it's a card you want to keep you probably use it all the time

That's why I only make glass cards with 7s

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: I popped my first <10% achievement for winning black stake (yellow deck flushes, hearts +4 mult, vampire, card sharp, the joker that boosts x-mult for using planet cards), and looked through the achievements to see what else there is.

Gold stickers on every joker! I can't imagine how much you'd have to play to get that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm also at the stage where I can only win with flushes though (just beat blue stake!)

I think part of it is that you need to commit to a build fairly early, and there are 4 arcanas that will flip THREE cards to a suit. It's very easy to just go "ah, well I don't know what I'm doing right now, but now I have a deck that's weighted to spade flushes sooooooo"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

Probably discussed before, but apparently the highest ante you can get to is 39, before you have to beat "Not a number"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nltHmlXRBQU

Is there a non-number you can make that beats the house's non-numbers? I guess not

Wow, number go way up

lol it takes like a full minute to count these hands

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hell Yeah posted:

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

I'll do you one better. I had a similar facecard build going (with the retrigger facecards joker) that I thought could definitely win, and there is a boss that just debuffs all facecards.

Had to sell the all cards are faceards joker to even attempt the blind, and didn't even come close to winning.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

Me too. Even then, the balance isn't great. I don't know what the dev can do about it given the constraints of having to work with the rules of the poker deck. Best idea I could come up with is a $20 boss reroll and the ability to disable your own jokers for a round. It's a card in the game so it's supposed to be viable, but Smeared Joker disables half your deck in the best case scenario against four different bosses. Pareidolia enables so many rich strategies that are run-enders against multiple bosses.

It's boring as hell but the best strategies that don't eat poo poo if you get unlucky and pull the wrong boss blind are high card, pair, two pair, and three of a kind. If you want to win with style, it's completely out of your control whether a boss ends your fun.

This is at higher difficulties, I want to point out. At lower ones, depending on the deck, it's well balanced and you can usually power through the bad matchups with good hands and jokers.

I like that $20 boss reroll a lot because many times I've seen the hard counter coming when I'm on the small blind and there just aren't enough ways to roll through the shop and get a boss reroll. Off the top of my head, you have that voucher (which you get one voucher for the whole ante, so good luck) or the joker you can sell to reroll.

Maybe add it into the spectral deck?

I don't know how they'd balance it, but I'd love to reroll the packs. I've often found myself flush with cash but just wasting it all on card rerolls that don't offer me anything that levels up my build.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 5, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

War Wizard posted:

I've unlocked plasma deck but it's so weird.

I keep reading that it's OP but I don't really get it either. Tried at first to pump chips as much as possible since they're easier to come by, but then there isn't multipliers for chips so I guess it's still best to go after x-mult.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen a Cavendish

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cerious posted:

I've found endless to be pretty boring and the engine building difficulty on gold really forces you to make good decisions.

Yeah, I usually just dump out of runs rather than go endless. I really do at some point need to try to get one of those copy joker-red seal-retrigger things going at some point to get a 100,000,000 point hand and unlock stuntman, but I don't really feel much of a drive to climb the endless antes outside of that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned that the boss that makes you lose a dollar per card played can put you in debt!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This looks like one of those games with the weird commercials where a woman's husband leaves her and she plays a match 3 game to make her hovel into a mansion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher blind levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Yeah, I took his preferred approach to the game, but now that I'm on orange stake it's like, goddamn do I want a scoring preview mod

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have only attempted gold stake a handful of times, but it seems like you need to swing for the loving fences to beat it, and I dunno if planet cards can get you there. Seems like you're best of holding R until you get the start of a great build rather than limping to an inevitable loss in Ante 5-6.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally knocked off gold stake. I was definitely being pigheaded and bashing my head against the wall over and over with the hearts/spades deck, but dammit, it's just so easy to not make decisions and play flushes all the time!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

Ah ok I was wondering if there was some hidden null hand like the reverse of flush five and the like.

I believe the stone enhancement does not wipe out the rank and suit of the card underneath it, because I swear I've had vampire take the stone off a card to reveal a normal card underneath.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 20, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Comparing this to the other roguelikes I have played it feels like more runs die early to bad luck. Not much you can do when you face the 'no discards' boss when you only have one or two jokers.

It's definitely got a higher percentage of utter garbage options than most roguelikes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I think about changing it lower than 4x only when I'm up against the face-down-joker boss, but I'm too lazy to go into the settings menu.

Yeah I bump it down to 2X for that guy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had a dream I was playing multiplayer Balatro that was like 4-person and the critical dream insight here is that the jokers were shared and random. Although it definitely involved betting so I think that might get the rating bumped up and get it banned or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

are hieroglyph and petroglyph goated or not? I nearly always take them, but I'm not sure they help the run unless I'm skipping for throwback or something.

Can be very good. If your build benefits from scaling, you get 3 more rounds to do that. You get 3 more shops to find acana, celestials, better jokers as well. It's usually worth it IMO.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
100 mil down. Used mainly Constellation, that joker that makes planet cards/packs free, Brainstorm copying Constellation (which was over 10x by the end), a bunch of tagged negatives jokers from Anaglyph deck, and baseball joker. Spade flush deck, just had to make a few glass cards in the end to get over the hump. Could not get into the e levels though, so I got stopped by Ante 13.

Still, Stuntman unlocked :woop:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Tips for Black Deck? I hate this thing

Holding the R button quick restarts the run

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Did you all play a ton before unlocking stuntman? I am surprised not to see him in anyone's stats given that he was uncommon prepatch.

Cleared multiple gold stakes pre-patch without unlocking him

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

that's insane lol

you got a lucky card to successfully trigger 260 times in your run??? i'm guessing your deck must have been entirely lucky cards or something

I assume also that joker that doubles your probabilities so that each lucky card was 40% to trigger instead of 20% (also 10% instead of 5% on the rarer trigger).

Can that joker be copied effectively by the jokers that copy other jokers? Can you push your probabilities even higher with Blueprint or the copying joker?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

It is a grave injustice that wildcards get debuffed by every anti-suit boss but can't count for multiple suits for Flower Pot. If wildcards only count as a single best suit for Flower Pot then they should only count as a single best suit (i.e. not the debuffed one) vs. boss blinds! :argh:

ooo that change would make a wild card build fun. I only use Lovers now as an intermediate step in a flush build where I usually get rid of all the wilds by the end because they can't be turned into glass, steel, mult, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ooo, but it does say the ability stacks with copies, so if you have Showman or that Joker that turns into another Joker after 3 rounds, you could go ham with it.

A lot of setup to get that build online though