Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Beasteh posted:

I had a single (unaltered) joker and opened a spectral pack and got the card that polychromes 1 joker and destroys the rest but I couldn't use it, what gives.

I believe you need at least 3 jokers to use it to prevent you from just getting a free poly joker. I'm not positive on that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I've seen people say this but the ghost deck definitely lets you polychrome your first joker, it's like the whole point. That could be a special case but it seems unlikely.

I got nothin then. I've only ever been offered that card when I've had a bunch of jokers already.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harlock posted:

Probably checkered deck or green deck

I've had good luck with Yellow, the head start on money is nice.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

help I can't stop playing

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

My middle name is flush. That’s right, “Johnny Flush Five Aces”.

Balatro: Johnny Flush Five Aces

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What's the best/easiest deck to stake climb with? I've been trying Yellow but it's not working nearly as well as I'd like. I just want to unlock all the decks, then I can go back to saner difficulty. I'm currently on Green stake with the Yellow deck, for reference.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i'm up to Purple on the yellow deck

Mime is goddamn mvp

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

amber acorn you are a mean piece of poo poo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

just switched left and right when using the death card and i want to jump out a window

i do this at least two thirds of the time i play that card

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa posted:

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

i did this three more loving times since making this post

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa posted:

i did this three more loving times since making this post

and another just now

what is wrong with me

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I am getting incredibly demoralized ramming my head against the wall trying to beat orange stake with yellow deck

I just wanna unlock the last deck! I'm not even gonna give a poo poo about gold stake for a good while after this

That's me with purple stake on yellow deck right now. I'm repeatedly rerolling the starting ante for good starter tags since purple scaling means you need something to boost score or you won't make it anywhere past the initial rounds.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MJeff posted:

Okay, Blue Stake is definitely where I'm starting to get a little sick of the game's bullshit, not in the "this is challenging and rewarding" way, but in the "what the gently caress am I supposed to do with any of this." way.

Purple Stake is my wall at the moment. The ante scaling is loving brutal at this stage.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sweet loving jesus i hate purple stake

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I thought this did work? Doesn't SnB trigger steel face cards twice?

SnB is played, Mime is in hand.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Has anyone seen Black Hole or The Soul twice in one run? Cause it looks like the game prevents that happening.

Also it looks like they have a .3% chance of showing up in planet or tarot packs, respectively

I pulled Soul twice in a game pretty recently.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Infinitum posted:

That's why you keep pressing R to reset if you don't get a good initial joker from the shop/skipping blind

Thank you for pointing out this is a thing, I've been doing it through mouse clicks like some sort of fool.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Game likes to troll so hard sometimes

Got a polychrome egg so I couldn't really sell it. Then it gave me the joker that adds mult based on sale price of jokers to the left, making it awkward to get mult from the egg...

I've gotten eternal eggs, negative popcorn, polychrome soda... the game does it on purpose i swear.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Defeated by the vessel. drat. Madness was up to 9x that run.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cavauro posted:

can you use eternal jokers to game the system of spectral cards that destroy all other jokers so that it tries to destroy them but can't? or does that actually still destroy them?

There is absolutely no way to be rid of eternal jokers once you have them.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I don't understand how you're meant to do the top two or three stakes without resetting the first ante until you get the perfect start. The scaling immediately outpaces anything other than a very small amount of useable options.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It honestly kinda needs to be toned down. It feels like the 'clear gold stake with every joker' achievement might not even be actually possible.

Change the no reward for small blinds into something else at least. That alone would make it more bearable since if you aren't using yellow deck or clearing it in one go there's zero reason to even take the first one.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If it weren't for the last deck being locked behind an orange clear I wouldn't be so frustrated with this, I think. Purple has been a hard wall and it's so aggravating having maybe 1 in 15 starts be even close to viable.

I still love this game to death but the stakes need some balancing.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My latest fuckup was triggering DNA against The Mouth and then being completely caught off guard when it would only let me score high cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

purple blind finally clear thanks entirely to midas mask + vampire

just orange to go then i can stop climbing for a while since i just want that last deck unlock

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Orange stake down, with much less headache than Purple took, weirdly. Campfire and Blackboard were the mvps there, with the latter being my make or break. If I didn't trigger Blackboard, I was dead.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm nearly at 50 hours, someone please send help

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pipski posted:

Does the Cavendish only pop if the Gros Michel has destroyed itself? Or can you still get it if you buy the other one and then ditch it?

Fairly certain GM needs to destroy itself for Cavendish to show up.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Get hosed, gold stake. Highlights include accidentally resetting the bus halfway through the run and The Eye very nearly ending my run because I could not for the life of me dig out a hand type I hadn't used already. I used a Fool to dupe Hanged Man specifically to deal with the bell, since I had cleared out most, but not all, of my face cards. Didn't need it but glad I had it as a failsafe.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

25% of the time it works none of the time

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm tempted to keep a notebook by my desk and record its efficacy vs Gross Michel dying to see if I believe the numbers.

I've had the Wheel fire quite a few times, but it nonetheless feels like way less than 1 in 4, and the idiot Banana is lucky to last two rounds.

just you wait until you have a cavendish die on you

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Changed CRT filter to no longer show flashing green/red lines

Thank goodness. This was doing weird things to my eyes and I did not care for it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Any challenges worth unlocking on the second page or are all of them "you are linearly worse than base deck and also gently caress you"?

the last challenge is no jokers if you really hate yourself

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

War Wizard posted:

I've had a banana survive half a game, so I guess I used all my luck on that.

When Brainstorm says copies "leftmost" that means in slot 1 on the far left, right?

Yep. If you hover over it there's also a handy little tag saying if the thing you're trying to copy is compatible or not. Blueprint (copy the joker to the right) also has this. Sadly the +hand size joker is not copyable.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

War Wizard posted:

Oh.. other question. If I have +hand size and get a spectral pack, would there be even more cards to choose from or use sigil on?

Yes, it uses your current hand size. Same for arcana packs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

it probably says a lot about me as a player that I take blueprint and brainstorm every single time I'm offered them yet have never won a run with either

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Squiggle posted:

You can move the loving jokers?

mystes posted:

make this one the thread title imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Yeah that one blew my mind when I found out about it. Super nice.

Not sure what the bind for it is on the Switch version (or if it exists) but it's super nice on my computer.

Really hoping there is one for Switch when I eventually start stake climbing on that too.