Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I just got a win with a very fun nebula deck which featured:

A foiled Supernova
A Castle I bought at the very start which I got up to 280 chips
A holographic Burglar
And a Baseball card

This is all on top of having my two pair up to level 12, which was doubly good before I sold my sharp card on the verdant leaf. I have some remorse about that thinking back on it because I probably could have played the debuffed cards anyway and made up for the chips just with the Castle and foil, but that didn't occur to me until afterwards...

Also I will always get rocket whenever possible. I bought one after the first round and took it all the way to ante 7, which allowed me to have a massive re-roll spree at before the final boss.

This is also the first time that I've gone for the ankh, because I was always spooked by having one less hand and I didn't see the benefit of going back an ante, but I went for it this time because it gave me three extra rounds to cultivate my castle and make even more money with my rocket.

Anyway time to get my penis flattened by endless mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I will forever be chasing the high of having a negative Midas Joker, plus the one where all cards are considered face cards, and a holographic vampire with a blueprint next to it. It's taste will never leave my mouth and it's sweet nostalgia will drive me to madness

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

I continue to have extremely dumb Balatro runs.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

How have you only done 7 hours?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Color Printer posted:

If you think wheel is maddening, try getting two space jokers and then watch as they both constantly fail to go off :shepface:

Space Joker is bullshit I'm never getting it again

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I'm surprised at how accommodating Castle is when you are using the checkerboard deck. I was expecting it to still require discards of diamonds and clubs, but no, I was able to regularly discard like 12 to 15 cards per round and get it up to plus 500 chips

I was also lucky enough to get the telescope voucher and the constellation Joker, which I was able to get up to x 3.5. Paired nicely with my foiled supernova

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Elman posted:

Yeah, while seeing final builds like that is cool my real question is how do you get to that point in the first place? Is there a lot of luck involved or are you actively rerolling and fishing for the right combos?

I should watch people stream this game.

Personally I don't go for rerolls unless I'm swimming in cash. I find that saving my money between rounds in order to get synergistic Jokers as they come up naturally works well enough. Not that it'll always happen, I just don't think re-rolls will save you from a bad run.

What I find works early on is to go broad and just pick up any advantage I can. You can always sell Jokers at the next shop to get something preferable, so there's not much harm in screwing around a bit early on before you find a groove.

My hard commits early on are anything that allows me to start saving up money, like the rocket or the egg. Those are always good investments because They are going to empower you to clear out shops of every advantage they can give you, and once you find a joker you want to take their place it's not all that sad to sell them.

My other advice would be to prioritize any card that allows you to continuously upgrade it throughout the run. I will always switching static card for an upgradable card. These can include things like castle which you can add chips to every round, or something like trousers which gives more multiplier for every time you play a two pair. Something like that in coalescence with a steady stream of planet upgrades will allow you to stay competitive with the blinds.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Am I alone in thinking ancient Joker is kind of lame? Maybe I just haven't built the right deck for it, but multiplying upon scoring instead of after my other multipliers proc is pretty weak sauce in my experience.

I'll give it another shot on a checkerboard deck though, because Castle oscillated between spades and hearts then, so ancient Joker would probably do the same. Plus then I could upgrade flush a couple of times, and have a higher base multiplier for it to apply to

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Squiggle posted:

You can move the loving jokers?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

woke kaczynski posted:

From what I recall it would switch between all four suits even on a checkerboard deck, which bummed me out because I figured it would be the best possible use case. Dunno if I'm misremembering or they updated it, though.

Woof, If it switches between all of them then I don't think I'll go for ancient Joker all that often. * 57 to the multiplier does sound good, but I'm not a big fan of decks where I have to get a lot of ducks in a row like upgrading The flush, then discarding things in order to get a flush of whatever suit it chooses, etc etc

Hologram Joker? Now that's a sexy Joker. Especially if you can get that voucher that lets you buy playing cards directly from the shop

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Jossar posted:

If you have an all-wild deck for some reason, it does good work. More practical use case is the Smeared Joker.

Also yeah, this always trips me up more than moving the Jokers does.

I haven't even run into this smeared Joker that y'all are talking about. Curious

Also same, I only remember that is a mechanic once my cards are scoring and I realize I could have organized them better lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Aggro posted:

Extremely stupid question. How the hell do you build a deck that works that isn’t a Flush deck?

The only way I’ve been able to make deep runs is getting lucky with the Spectral Card that converts a bunch of cards to one suit or other tools that thin the deck. Some well placed Red tokens and multi cards, and flushes score well.

But I can’t see how people are managing to win decks designed around like, two pair. What am I missing?

bizarrely enough my last three wins in a row have been two pair decks. Trousers and supernova plus a multiplier card like sharp card can easily take you to the end, especially if you get the telescope voucher and can pump it like crazy. also nice to have square joker

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Seltzer is appropriately balanced considering what its ability is, and that's why I hate getting it and will only do so as a gap joker early in the run

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

If I could bottle the catharsis I just got from beating the Amber acorn without any concern, because my Jokers gave me x15.5 multiplier no matter what order they were in, I would make a lot of money off that bottle

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

After watching some Northern Lion videos on YouTube, I'm pulling back from my prejudice against arcana cards. Sure I knew you could do some broken poo poo with them but I never made them a priority. After getting The Midas mask though, as well as the eight ball, I started opening up every booster pack on the off chance I would get the vampire and lo and behold It happened.

Consider me taro pilled

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Aipsh posted:

I think generally the Balatro learning curve focus goes
planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
chips are useful actually,
all flushes,
planet card high card build,
broken red seal tarot insanity

Yeah I think you nailed it. I embarrassingly did not understand the difference between + and X multiplier when I started playing, so I would see something like the baseball card and think "1.5? That's loving trash why would you ever get that"

I'd like to imagine I'm at the bolded right now, because I'm in endless mode with burnt Joker and the order just pumping straights into oblivion.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

More planets in the shop just means it is harder to find the jokers/tarots you need for a typical higher ante run. Wasting rerolls because you have a shop full of Neptunes when all you want is a Death sucks.

I was thinking about this the other day. I typically get vouchers when I can afford them but the x2 non-joker card ones feel highly situational.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

smoobles posted:

All I want is to get Blueprint and DNA in the same game

I will always auto buy blueprint. I had a pretty nice run with it the other day in combo with throwback.

Throwback for me is like the perfect sweet spot of having pumpable xMult, while having some potential risk to it. A lot of the other cards of that genre can be like walking on an eggshells, like monolith or ramen.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gros Michel More like get this card away from me

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gangringo posted:

If you can't handle me at my Gros Michel you don't deserve me at my Cavendish.

Poster that's so good at balatro that even their avatar and posts synergize

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Finally getting some black deck wins under my belt. The early game was straight up survival mode with me relying on greedy Joker and popcorn to get by. Thankfully I was rewarded for my survivalist instincts and was able to get a hologram Joker and a marble joker, plus the tribe. From there it was just a matter of opening up tarot boosters to get some star cards and I was on easy Street. I didn't make it to ante ten but hey a win is a win

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I hate Jokers that can reset like obelisk and ride the bus, not because they aren't good cards- they are, but because I'm stupid and it only takes one second for me to make a stupid mistake and undo +30 mult

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I can't really imagine playing on a small screen

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Is attempting to downgrade the deck to two suits and aiming for flush/straights/full houses a viable tactic to get through the standard decks? All the scientific notation stuff looks rad but I figure I need to power through and unlock some more stuff if I'm just starting out.

By just starting out I mean I already beat the standard difficulty through to the green deck and have somehow lost fifteen hours in a week to this fucken game

I would say viable, but not reliable. There are lots of bosses that gently caress with your hand size, your ability to discard, or what suits/cards you can play, so you can get locked out in short order If you're spending all of your money on arcana to pare down your suits.

Don't get me wrong, flushes are maybe one of the easiest hands to fish for by discarding, but you would be better served by focusing first on getting broad jokers that give you flat bonuses to your multiplier and chips, while using arcana cards like empress or hierophant to push your playing cards a little further.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Now, if you got something like hallucination or vagabond, that's a different story, because then you can reliably generate your own tarot cards without relying on the generosity of the store

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

finally got my gold stake win with this deck, maybe the rarest cheevo (in terms of %) I've ever gotten for a steam game. after 90 hours and nothing left to unlock but a few more jokers, i think i might retire and try to forget this shameful phase of my life where I turned into a crusty old video poker addict

e: had Hallucination for much of the run but swapped it for Mr. Bones towards the end for a little insurance

Hope you enjoy your retirement, we'll see you tomorrow

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

if self.ability.name == 'Space Joker' then {
return false;
}

Lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

flushes are the easy path for beating ante 8 since they're easy to make and offer good scoring with five cards

part of it is just getting good enough to recognize that it's less slamming your face into a wall and more bouncing around like a rubber ball through runs

This is good advice. A lot of this game is grabbing whatever leverage you can and pulling as much as it will allow you. Flushes are a good bad discard wise obviously because there's 13 to a suit, and with tarot cards you can get that up too 16 19 21 pretty quickly. Not to mention the suit specific Jokers That give plus four for every scored card. The downside is bosses which Nerf particular suits, or set your money to zero if you play your most played hand.

I bet you would have more success If you went for jokers that can be upgraded, or allowed you to manipulate your deck. Vagabond is a good example a card that encourages you to be fluid and spend a lot of money, gives you tarot cards to ensure flushes, add mult/chips to cards, etc. hallucination is another really great one that can potentially get you double value for every booster. Temperance alone is a good reason to go this route for the economic freedom it gives you.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I say this as somebody who really overlooked tarot cards when I first started playing and was just fishing for the most synergistic Jokers every game. It's cool when synergies happen and a big part of getting far, but often you really have to Make your own luck

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hell yeah!! Spare trousers is easily one of the best cards in the game, I have won multiple times with it

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gangringo posted:

Anything that triggers on two pairs should also trigger on four of a kind. It's literally two pairs, just of the same rank.

Does it not? I don't know about spare trousers specifically but I know there are lots of cards that have the caveat of "contains a x" So that it's still procs Even when the actual scored poker hand is different

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I've heard people talk poo poo about card sharp and I don't get it at all. X3 multiplier with minimum setup is so good that I get it every time. Usually to get multiplier that high You have to fulfill some sort of condition (contain a three of a kind, use so many planet cards, feed vampire 15 enhanced cards). Meanwhile with card sharp and a telescope You can print money like the treasury off of high cards

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

DrHammond posted:

Okay eternal rule of "complaining on the internet" got Orange Stake down for me. Admittedly easy when you get blessed with Canio.

E: Carried me to Ante 11 but fell off the cliff there. Good run though! It was actually kind of dicey Ante 5-7, wasn't until late 7 and 8 that I finally pulled a few Hanged Man's to juice up Canio. Had to play my econ really conservative to keep juicing up bull, kind of a knifes edge.

I have never believed in any manner of supernatural boon as much as I have the power of complaining. I swear every time I play Ascension with my friend, once he starts moaning and groaning, the Red Sea parts for him and grants whatever card synergy he needs to whoop me.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

They nerfed bloodstone???

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

wait, wheel of fortune does something?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also that bloodstone change actually doesn't sound to bad. I would rather have consistency over a chance to pop off that doesn't come

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Trying out plasma deck and I have to say, I just don't get it. Using all my willpower to not go back to my comfort zone of green deck

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I just had a brief glimmer of hope when I got a double tag and was able to open two mega buffoon packs and got hiker along with hack and mystic summit. I was quickly humbled by the wall

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Burglar is a great joker in so many ways.

It beats the needle, it's an income joker, a points joker, scales your scaling jokers harder, and you can copy it with Blueprint/Brainstorm at the start of a blind then switch off it for free.

My best run recently was with the green deck, a burglar, a polychromed green Joker, card sharp and ramen. It was a dopamine machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I am so anti banana that I had to learn from a streamer about the existence of Cavandish