Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
was reading the intro posts on the first page and the one about joker order is interesting, specifically the thing about putting (+) mults to the left of (x) mults, which makes sense logically. however I've found that they don't really seem to behave consistently or logically. one of the funniest examples was I got a boss blind that had a "shuffles and flips jokers" thing on it so I couldn't see what order they were in, and it ended up giving me way higher scores than the order I had them in which I thought was maxing them out. the game is brilliant but trying to work out some of the order of operations stuff so that you get the best results is frustrating, and I wish it gave you hints or did it automatically.

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Raymond T. Racing posted:

the “played cards do x” happens before the joker gives multiplier

so for example: one of the suit jokers will add when the cards are scored, then reroll joker will run as the jokers go left to right

yeah I understand that part

what I'm saying is I had a layout of 5-6 jokers set up to consistently generate about $80-100k with my best hand. when I got to the blind that shuffled and flipped them so I couldn't see what order they were in they in, I was worried it wouldn't work anymore but instead it generated 300k and won me the blind in one hand. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything significantly different happening in the cards themselves that would have accounted for that (no Steel cards, etc.)

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
i've got about 20 hours in, cleared a few different colored decks, but highest ante I've gotten to is 11. the jump from 10 to 11 is crazy, I have no idea how people are keeping pace on their mults. there's a few good general strategy pages out there but I don't think I've seen one yet that talks about how to make the jump into double digit antes and keep your mults up.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Artelier posted:

It's hard for me to tell since I get it so rarely, but does Blueprint copy any Polychrome, Holographic, Foil, or Negative effects on the card to the right? Or just the text? I forgot to test it the last time I got it and haven't seen it since.

just the text AND there's a pretty high percentage of Jokers that don't work with it. was really disappointed the first time I bought it to use on a few specific Jokers in my deck and it didn't work with any of them.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
why would anyone buy the Magic Trick voucher???! it's $10 and all it does is add regular cards to the roster of cards you can buy directly from the shop. buy default, there's only 2 "direct buy" slots, so why in god's name would you want to fill up one of the spots with a regular card vs a planet, tarot, spectral, joker, etc. seems like the most useless voucher in the game

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
really struggling on blue stake :smithicide:

i've breezed through all other stakes & decks so far without needing to reroll or do more than 1-2 attempts, but on blue I'm constantly rerolling & crashing out on ante 7-8. help

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What was the Dracula joker before the nerf? BC it still feels like an auto pick to me if you have a reliable way to generate enhanced cards

the best pairing I had with Dracula was the joker where it gives you a tarot card for every hand you play while you have $3 or less in the bank. if you can find a joker or voucher that boosts your hands, you're looking at least 15 tarots generated per ante, plus anything that pops up in the shop & packs. I got Dracula up to about 13x that way

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
orange deck is so brutal. been seeing a lot of people talk about how it's when the game became not fun for them and I totally get it. the patch is making it better but part of me wants to beat it before it's patched as a badge of honor. think I'm up to about 6-7 hours of total play time just on orange

best run so far was ante 8 with an almost all diamond deck, the straight gap joker, card sharp, and some perma common ones that were good for some +mult but it crapped out at about 200k

was able to do a lot of straight flushes but still ran out of steam, so frustrating

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
was finally able to beat orange deck after trying for like a week - was lucky enough to get Madness in an early ante, then perm versions of Greedy, Gluttonous, and Erosion. was a really nice synergy to feed Erosion by selectively deleting spades & hearts with Hangman tarots, mass deleting batches of cards with the Immolate spectral, and whittle down the deck so I was always +multing on diamonds and clubs

during this run of trying to beat orange, I rolled so many god drat Sixth Sense jokers it became my most hated joker by far. is there any good strat for Sixth Sense or is mostly just a gently caress you with a consolation that you can get a few spectals out of it

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2024

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

finally got my gold stake win with this deck, maybe the rarest cheevo (in terms of %) I've ever gotten for a steam game. after 90 hours and nothing left to unlock but a few more jokers, i think i might retire and try to forget this shameful phase of my life where I turned into a crusty old video poker addict

e: had Hallucination for much of the run but swapped it for Mr. Bones towards the end for a little insurance

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 20, 2024

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Been banging my head against a wall trying to beat orange stakes. Have tried yellow deck mostly and I've gotten to the last boss blind multiple times but keep coming up short.

I assume I should just be restarting any run where I don't get some decent money making potential by ante 2? Are there any other easy decks to do this with?

once I got Ghost Deck, I cleared all stakes using that. getting a guaranteed polychrome joker is nice in the early game and spectral cards popping up from time to time in the shop can be helpful.

for orange & gold stakes, in my experience you really need to reroll until you get the "free cards and boosters" tag in either the 1st or 2nd blind of the 1st ante. it's almost impossible to do it without getting that $30-40 worth of stuff for free

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Gold stakes is scary so since I unlocked it I’ve been focusing on getting all the Jokers instead. Currently unlocked all but two. One all I gotta do is play four 7 of clubs, which is doable, but the last one is the 100 million hand so I’ll be looking back through the posts about it on the last couple pages pretty soon. Also still have like idk nine vouchers to find?

you can do gold without all the jokers & vouchers

i wrote this in an earlier post but the much more important thing in orange & gold stake is to reroll until you get a free cards & boosters (edit: vouchers are never free!) tag in the 1st or 2nd round of the 1st ante, hopefully get a good joker or two out of that, cruise through the next 2-3 antes, build up money, and try to find great jokers and cards after that

i beat gold without Stuntman or Seeing Double. if you've unlocked everything else but those, you should be good to go

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2024

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

Is the +voucher tag just in hopes of rolling a good voucher?

i think the voucher tag either replenishes the slot if you've already bought it that ante or adds a 2nd slot if you didn't? not sure actually. but yeah i think either way you'll see a new one

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
dunno why people are so down on rerolling for the free cards & boosters as a late stake strat. part of the metagame of playing a roguelike/roguelite is once you play it enough, you learn to incorporate rerolling when starting a new run because you know you need to meet certain milestones by a certain point. i'd much rather sit on the R key for 30 seconds til i get a free cards voucher than try to grind out the first two rounds hoping i can get flushes/straights/full houses AND good jokers. so much less wasted time just rerolling at the beginning

(all this applies to 1.0.0, things have definitely gotten easier with the free joker tags, higher boss reward tag, etc. so what i wrote is probably not true anymore but was definitely true before the 1.0.1 patch)

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Tonetta posted:

still couldn't crack blind 14 with this bullshit

that's insane lol

you got a lucky card to successfully trigger 260 times in your run??? i'm guessing your deck must have been entirely lucky cards or something

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
a quick rant about Flower Pot (the one where you need all 4 suits in a hand to get 3x)

the wording on the card says "X3 Mult if poker hand contains a Diamond card, Club card, Heart card, and Spade card"

but if you play a Two Pair for example that covers 3 suits, and the fifth card not part of the scoring hand covers the 4th, it doesn't score

it also doesn't work using wild cards

but then it *does* work if your suit is debuffed, and supposedly it does work the way you expect it to with Smeared but I haven't tried it

frustrating to try and figure out all the little in-betweens for the jokers and how they work with other jokers, debuffs, etc.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Relyssa posted:

The two pair example makes sense since it specifies poker hand. The fifth card isn't part of the poker hand, only the ones that make up the two pair are.

the language shifts on the jokers...sometimes it says "played hand" sometimes it says "scored cards" and if it says either of those, it's crystal clear. but "poker hand" is a bit more ambiguous

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

It is a grave injustice that wildcards get debuffed by every anti-suit boss but can't count for multiple suits for Flower Pot. If wildcards only count as a single best suit for Flower Pot then they should only count as a single best suit (i.e. not the debuffed one) vs. boss blinds! :argh:

yup. this + all the other stuff (the wording, the other inconsistencies, etc.) make me think that of all the jokers, Flower Pot really needs a lot of tweaking in the next patch. kinda surprised it didn't get looked at in this latest one

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Gaffle posted:

i first tried jokerless on the new patch. game is now officially for babies

try Golden Needle, it's still pretty rough even in the new patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
please share your Jokerless battle stories with me. it's my last challenge left and it's making me hate the game/myself/life