Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Exoprimal is Capcom's upcoming PvPvE third-person hero shooter where players are forced by a rogue AI into donning robotic Exosuits to fight through hordes of bloodthirsty dinosaurs.

Story

Capcom posted:

The year is 2043.
Three years have passed since the vortexes—rifts in spacetime—unleashed the dinosaur outbreak across the world.

Ace, an exofighter with the Hammerheads squad, crash-lands on Bikitoa Island due to a vortex that popped up out of nowhere during a routine patrol mission.
There they encounter Leviathan, a new generation of AI that forces the rookie into a nigh-infinite series of wargames.

A chance meeting with the enigmatic exofighter Magnum teaches the Hammerheads that Leviathan's wargames transport the team back in time—to the exact same date three years ago—for every wargame.

Why are the wargames always held on this day in the past?
And why does Leviathan summon dinosaurs for them?

With countless questions looming over them, the confused team catches sight of an even more astonishing individual.

Gameplay
The main gameplay mode is Dino Survival

Capcom posted:

In Dino Survival, two squads of five race to complete objectives.
Teams must follow Leviathan's directives and complete the mission before their rivals to win.
Some situations pit players against one another in direct combat, and others require players to band together with their rivals to take down a major foe.
In Dino Survival, the missions change based on players' progression through the game. The experience will be different with each match, even in matches with familiar surroundings and objectives.
Players can unlock story sequences by playing Dino Survival and also earn rewards such as experience points to increase player and exosuit levels.

From what we've seen in the betas, this typically plays out with both teams racing through an identical series of PvE horde-mode mission types and then meeting in a head-to-head Overwatch-style mission where they must contend with swarms of dinosaurs in addition to the opposing team. Each team is also given access to a Dominator powerup that allows one player to take control of one of the larger varieties of dinosaur to disrupt the other team's objectives.
Sometimes, instead of a head-to-head confrontation, the final stage of the match has both teams join forces against a raid boss dinosaur with a limited pool of respawns.

According to Capcom, there will also be dedicated PvE modes for those with no interest in the PvP aspect of the game.

Exosuits
Exoprimal will launch with 10 rad as hell exosuits in roles that should be familiar to those who have played hero shooters in the past.

Assault

Deadeye

quote:

Deadeye is an easy-to-use, all-purpose exosuit that specializes in engaging enemies from medium to long distances.
Its primary weapon is a low-recoil assault rifle that can be used to engage targets at a distance while aiming down its sights. Deadeye can also use a powerful palm strike to repulse enemies that get too close.

Zephyr

quote:

Zephyr is a speedy, melee-focused exosuit that specializes in close quarters combat.
Exofighters will need to be confident in their ability to maneuver and avoid damage to compensate for Zephyr's light armoring.
The tonfa installed in Zephyr's arms emit an energy wave sharp enough to slice into even the hardest dinosaur skin.

Barrage

quote:

This assault role exosuit excels at using grenades and setting enemies alight.
Excels in close quarters where explosives and incendiaries are most effective.

Vigilant

quote:

An assault role exosuit with unparalleled long range combat capabilities.
Positioning and aiming proficiency are essential for making the most of this exosuit.

Tank

Roadblock

quote:

Roadblock is a heavyweight exosuit with supreme durability.
Its massive shield protects allies and enhances the team's survivability.
The shield can deflect all manner of incoming attacks, but it can also be paired with a boost function to repulse even the largest of enemies.

Krieger

quote:

A heavy tank exosuit with formidable suppressive firepower.
Its arsenal can stop enemies in their tracks.

Murasame

quote:

An exosuit equipped with a massive blade.
Uses the blade's reach to block and counter enemy attacks.

Support

Witchdoctor

quote:

Witchdoctor is a support suit that specializes in synergizing with its allies' skills and attacks.
Exofighters should use Witchdoctor's skills to repair and buff allies.
Witchdoctor can quickly leap around the battlefield and make use of abilities that repair damaged allies and grant buffs like enhanced movement speed.

Skywave

quote:

A support exosuit that can fly in the air.
Equipped with abilities that can hamper enemy movement.

Nimbus

quote:

A highly mobile support exosuit.
It features weapons that can switch between damage and healing modes.

How do I play?
Exoprimal comes out 7/14 for PC, Xbox Series, Xbox One, PS5 and PS4. It's also going to be on Gamepass day one.

Official site: https://www.exoprimal.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

General Tips:
- F1 on kb+m or d-pad down on controller opens a summary of abilities for your current exosuit or dominated dinosaur. I didn't realize that Nimbus' hologram could revive and heal allies or that Zephyr had a double jump until I checked this.

- On dinosaur cull missions the dinosaurs you need to kill to progress are shown at the top of the screen and other dinosaurs don't count for anything other than giving you some breathing room. Pubbies really don't seem to get this.

- For the triceratops dominator, you need to hold down the attack button to charge forward and attack. Just mashing it like with other dinosaurs doesn't do much.

- Later on raptors can be replaced with baryonyx which is resistant to fire and suchomimus which is resistant to ice

- Stegosaurus will disable most of your abilities when it roars.

Kaiju15 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 17, 2023

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Lol this sounds very fun and over the top, looking forward to watching people play.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Interested to hear what the gooncensus is on this one, and I love that Capcom still has time to try weird poo poo

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The one round of this I played in the beta was fun enough to be looking forward to it on game pass.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I figured "Dino Crysis" was a slam dunk for the thread title.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I still feel like for as much as I've seen of gameplay demos and trailers and the like for this game that I still don't have much of a sense of what it actually is.

But hey, it's going to be on Game Pass, the barrier of entry is almost non-existent so I'm happy to give it a shot with some friends.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Enjoyed both betas. Day 1 with Game Pass here. Goons welcome.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
At least from playing both open betas, it's very much a 3rd person mix of team shooters (by way of Overwatch) and horde shooters. All of it's already in the OP, but yeah the first part of the main multiplayer mode is always a race through a series of arenas in a larger map where it's co-op PvE and the goal is generally either killing a certain number of dinosaurs or protecting something from dinosaur attacks by killing dinosaurs, usually culminating in a flashy end of round scenario where you fight a massive swarm or a Rex or something. Then, your team gets put into a shared instance to fulfill one of a number of tasks to win the game. They added the 10-man co-op PvE in the second beta, but all the other cases are still PvPvE (the prior race means that if you're significant ahead in the PvE portion you get extra time to get started on your side of the PvPvE portion) - there's "push the cube by staying near it" where each team has a track that eventually meets in the middle of the map, and you can interfere with the enemy team's progress by breaking their cube's shielding (it'll regenerate but won't move while broken) and killing them; "collect data chips" where the collectibles spawn around the map like Pac-Man pellets and you can also get more by stealing them from the enemy team by killing them; and "smash the towers with a hammer" where a special power hammer pick-up is available for each team and has to be brought around by a player - it slows the holder down and disables certain mobility moves, but acts as a regular cooldown as well that does a big AoE attack - and when ready the hammer holder interacts with a tower to smash it. The hammer can be dropped, and also returned to its spawn point by the enemy team.

I'd say the overall "goal" is to get as high a score as possible every game, it translates to your player level, survival pass level, and even individual exosuit level progress. There's a multiplier for winning, so you obviously want to do that, but you also just rack up lots of points by earning "medals" during a match for pretty much every notable thing you can do (kills, ults, heals, damage blocked, targets set ablaze, assisting with big damage, etc.). This feeds into war chests, BikCoins, awards, and mods, but the betas have been too limited to actually let players see what to do with all that. The mods seem like they'll be pretty important to me over vanilla exosuit performance.

As of this second beta it also seems like you level up to progress the actual story, too.

The exosuits themselves, off-brand warframes they may or may not be, have been fun enough to play, imo - all have interesting quirks and feels. You can fairly freely swap during a match, though you're a squishy human only armed with a basic rifle if you swap mid-fight and you have to wait a bit before you can hop into your new selection. You also lose your ult progress, I believe, so you might want to pop that first if it's available.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This looks really cool, but alas I just don't have time to get good as I need to at games with a PvP component.

Also Battle Pass. Bummer.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If the OP is right that there'll be a dedicated PvE mode, that's a major problem solved. Now I just need to know if we can do goofy team poses like in Lost Planet 2.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm very PvP averse outside of fighting games and the small amount of time you spend PvPing in a match is not that stressful, imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WarEternal posted:

I'm very PvP averse outside of fighting games and the small amount of time you spend PvPing in a match is not that stressful, imo.

That's good info, thank you.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They're showing off some more stuff tonight. Trailers, roadmaps, that kind of thing. 1630 PDT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0kBo3XFkM

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They had more on the PvE mode.

You can choose PvP, PvE or random priority, but the option is withheld until you've played a bit for some reason. It decides your final encounter for most missions. I assume this exception is because they have some scripted finales. It's hard to say without having played the game. Maybe it's a story mission thing. Maybe it's just Capcom being Capcom, hoping people will come around to their original vision despite the reception being apathetic at best.

Content updates comes in seasons of 3 months.

Season 1 adds something called Savage Gauntlet and a new version of each class, ie. new weapons and new playstyle. I guess the gauntlet is either horde survival or mutators.

Season 2 lets you throw fireballs, optionally dressed up as Ryu from Smash Bros.

Season 3 adds another set of class variations and stuff from Monster Hunter. Rathalos is almost guarantied going by past collabs and the logo. This is good. It's a fun boss.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 11, 2023

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Apparently while there's cross-platform matchmaking, party creation is going to be separated by platform at launch.

https://twitter.com/exoprimal/status/1677369502064070657?s=20

Kind of a bummer. Capcom ID is going to be mandatory anyway so you'd think they could use that to add friends like in Street Fighter.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Playing this now and really enjoy the 'story by an overexcited 8 year old' vibe.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Went in expecting robots and dinos. Got robots, dinos and a side of Super Sentai.

Best game ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing for the last hour, I want to like this but something about it just feels off? At least after the first mission, you can choose to do PvE only.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, for me it's some of the suits feeling worse than others. The melee doesn't move right. I kind of like the air juggle the blue guy gets, but not enough to get used to him.

I'm okay with the gunfeel on Deadeye, Krieger and the sniper though.

The wannabe Tracer felt awful while I had crosshair on the smallest size. The gun-kata made head clicking hard. Bumping the size back up to default helped a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is going to be one of those games that gets the end of service announcement within a year. But honestly at this point I think that is intentional with titles like this.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

When they said PvE focus will have a few exceptions where there's PvP, that must be referring to when a person from the opposition invades as a dinosaur.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe the game actually says the thread title out loud.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It has a lot of heart for an average, generic shooter.

I'm still processing that it quoted the Dragon's Dogma meme at me.

Remember, raptors hunt in packs!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How the hell do I pick my mech suit? If I click my loadout it just takes me to a list of all the suits, but I can't actually change what I'm going into the match with. Or is this just a first mission thing, and it unlocks afterwards, like the dedicated PVE mode?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How the hell do I pick my mech suit? If I click my loadout it just takes me to a list of all the suits, but I can't actually change what I'm going into the match with. Or is this just a first mission thing, and it unlocks afterwards, like the dedicated PVE mode?

If you right click on a suit in the Hanger it should set your starting suit as your favorite. In battle, if you hit the T button on your keyboard (I dont know what it is on joystick), you can hotswitch.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Played a bunch today. Having played the beta it feels like a lot of content is gated behind the "story" progression. The neosaurs didn't show up for me until about 10 or more games in and the games before that felt way too samey. Still pretty fun, but I could easily see someone bouncing off before even getting to fight a T-rex.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Dripfeeding lore and story between matches seems to be a good way to keep that interest going

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

When they said PvE focus will have a few exceptions where there's PvP, that must be referring to when a person from the opposition invades as a dinosaur.
the end of the data cube payload objective is active exosuit pvp, no invasion required

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I feel like either suits need a damage buff or the big boy dinos need a health decrease, because fighting a Carno-whatever or Triceratops just feels like dogshit.
Also worth nothing that you can(and will) be juggled to death if you get cornered by an invading player, and there's absolutely nothing you can do to recover or break out of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I feel like either suits need a damage buff or the big boy dinos need a health decrease, because fighting a Carno-whatever or Triceratops just feels like dogshit.

Feel like this is maybe a comp/build thing. We were struggling with large dinos earlier tonight but we switched stuff around and started melting them. Sustained fire from Deadeye and Krieger into a weak point will destroy a trike.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Even invading dinos drop fast when focused. It's just rare that it happens.

I'm warming up to the samurai tank. The hits from his dodge and his counter are big and juicy. Not a fan of his ult though. It's slow and awkward. They probably meant it to be a PvP one shotter.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 15, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Donnerberg posted:

Even invading dinos drop fast when focused. It's just rare that it happens.

I'm warming up to the samurai tank. The hits from his dodge and his counter are big and juicy. Not a fan of his ult though. It's slow and awkward. They probably meant it to be a PvP one shotter.

Speaking from being on the other end yeah it will clear off a data cube of everyone on it

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Man the game is hellbent on making people replay the Magnum PvP mission when they are on PvE priority.

Doesn't seem to be a punishment for leaving though.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Feel like this is maybe a comp/build thing. We were struggling with large dinos earlier tonight but we switched stuff around and started melting them. Sustained fire from Deadeye and Krieger into a weak point will destroy a trike.

Where the hell *is* the weakpoint on a trike anyway?
Last night I figured either the head or horns, but lmao my shots were only doing 1 dmg.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Last night I figured either the head or horns, but lmao my shots were only doing 1 dmg.
shoot the body; it's got a big defensive plate for a head

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The tum tum

I wouldn't pay for it but having fun on game pass

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Who do I have to talk to in order for Witchdoctor to get like a shotgun or pistol, or any kind of real weapon?
I can only do so much paralysis without my team cleaning up, before I stop.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Who do I have to talk to in order for Witchdoctor to get like a shotgun or pistol, or any kind of real weapon?
I can only do so much paralysis without my team cleaning up, before I stop.

use the cannon or blade for your rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Unless posted:

use the cannon or blade for your rig

Yeah, but I was hoping for a non-cooldown method.
Oh well beggars/choosers